PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain and Scooter?

disneynutsss
05-01-2012, 11:35 AM
I will be traveling to disney by the end of the year with my 7 yo niece. i know that when you go to space mountain you switch over from the scooter to a wheelchair and then a member of ur party pushes you through the line, but it will just be the two of us and she wont be able to push me. what do they do in those circumstances?

TIA!!

Belle1962
05-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I've been with just my grandson and myself (going since he was 3) and at space mountion my only options were to roll the wheelchair myself, walk or skip.

If you can walk but are very slow or need to lean--there is a handrail the entire length of the line and the line is wide enough that you can step aside and let others pass.

HTH.

disneynutsss
05-01-2012, 12:09 PM
wow, you would think with disney they would let you ride your scooter the way they used to do it! that stinks, i dont think that we will be able to ride it now :(

Betty Rohrer
05-01-2012, 12:13 PM
this was soarn not space but i had to wait a few minutes but they were able to send a CM with me until we got to the down hill part of ramp. i went to CM at front of ride and asked how we coiuld work it out so i could take grandsons and they were not able to push me. just ask for help and there is usually a way to get it done but it may take a little time.

disneynutsss
05-01-2012, 12:19 PM
this was soarn not space but i had to wait a few minutes but they were able to send a CM with me until we got to the down hill part of ramp. i went to CM at front of ride and asked how we coiuld work it out so i could take grandsons and they were not able to push me. just ask for help and there is usually a way to get it done but it may take a little time.

now thats the answer i was looking for! :)

Smile&Nod
05-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Disney is a friendly place, have you considered asking someone going in line to push you? If I were approached by someone needing that help I certainly would agree to push them (unless I had an issue myself). It is not TOO much different than asking strangers to take your picture.

disneynutsss
05-01-2012, 12:32 PM
Disney is a friendly place, have you considered asking someone going in line to push you? If I were approached by someone needing that help I certainly would agree to push them (unless I had an issue myself). It is not TOO much different than asking strangers to take your picture.

i would probably do that if i weren't so POOH SIZED :P

Smile&Nod
05-01-2012, 12:34 PM

Been there! (still there, working on it!). The other option maybe is to have your 7 yo niece try pushing you - do not underestimate the strength little kids have - plus - if she tried and were struggling someone might just step in - would hate for you not to be able to ride!

Good luck!

stargazertechie
05-01-2012, 01:06 PM

I'd still ask, honestly. I'm not a skinny minnie myself, and I had someone offer to push me from Spaceship Earth all the way through the line for Soarin'

WheeledTraveler
05-01-2012, 03:03 PM
The CMs are not in any way obligated to push you and can refuse to because they are not trained it and it can be considered a safety issue (not to mention that if they're pushing you, they're not at their post). Personally, I would be very wary of have a 7 year old push you in a wheelchair specifically on Space Mountain unless the referbs dramatically changed the line (I no longer do SM due to neck problems) because leaving you have to take the wheelchair up the very steep moving walkway. In a manual wheelchair I tipped back on that walkway (I was by myself and in my own personal wheelchair) and really had to hang on for my life. I wouldn't think it was safe to have a 7 year old by the wheelchair at that point if there's no one else to help hold the wheelchair from tipping.

Chickenlady
05-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Space mountain is not a place to have your petite or young company push you. I have managed to get my husband to push me on Space and it's still very scary. Lots of steep hills, up and down! My DS14 has pushed me for RNR and I still wouldn't ask him to push at Space.

Also, be aware that Buzz now requires you to transfer to a wheelchair, from a scooter. Really bummed me out that I couldn't ride without my guys for pushing. Sometimes they go off and I like to do stuff by myself, but I can't maneuver a regular wheelchair through curvy lines by myself....at least not one of the Disney wheelchairs.....and not without major damage to the people around me.:rotfl:

Cheshire Figment
05-01-2012, 05:10 PM
The reason they do not allow ECVs in Space are related to the long moving belt at the exit. And officially a CM is not supposed to push a Guests wheelchair; the only thing related to a chair a CM is allowed to do is hold it for stability, remove it from Load to where it will be stored, and return it to Unload from where it is stored.

dclfun
05-01-2012, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't count on a CM being able to push you. They are not allowed to do so and this is part of their training- to be told they CANNOT physically assist a guest. If they strain their back or injure themselves in any way or you get hurt inadvertently there's a liability issue. It also removes that CM from their position and there simply aren't enough of them to go around- everyone has a post to stick to and this would remove them from that post, possibly for quite some time. I would see if another guest wants to help or you should probably plan on skipping SM. I'm sorry.

kaytieeldr
05-02-2012, 05:04 AM
OP - can you use a WDW-provided wheelchair as a walker? I mean, they'll let you - but are you able? Because that's an option. Otherwise, you're probably going to have to skip Space Mountain.

disneynutsss
05-02-2012, 09:41 AM
thank you for all of your replies!

i understand about the liabilities and not enough cms, never thought of it that way before.

yes, my dh and/or ds have pushed me in the wheelchair before and i remember the uphill push to get there and i remember (and laugh) about the uphill moving belt at the end. my son pushed me to the belt, we got on and then he let go!! i started going backward and had to quickly grab the handrails!! we all had a good laugh over that! and so did everyone around us! but luckily i wasn't so disabled that i could have gotten hurt.

anyway, given that, my niece could not push me in the wheelchair, she just would not be able to do it and i wouldn't want to put her in the position of getting hurt bc the wheelchair could fall back on her.

i have just lost a bunch of weight and i am continuing to do so which helps tremendously with walking, although i still have knee problems - i just MAY be able to walk it, at the very least using the wheelchair like a walker! i guess time will tell!!

:)