PDA

View Full Version : Gastric bypass/ Disney Dining

4Joyces
04-29-2012, 09:38 PM
Hi- I posted this in the restaurant section and it was suggested that I try here.

My DH had gastric bypass surgery a little over a year ago. He can eat pretty much anything except pastas, breads, etc, but he still eats very small portions. Usually when we go out to restaurants, he & I share an entree.

We're going to WDW in August on the free dining. Do they look down on you if you share meals at the table service restaurants? I know he'll have to use his own credit for buffets, but for places like Teppan Edo, there's no way he'd eat enough to make it worthwhile.

Is there anyone out there that has had GBP who can give us advice on quick service restaurants? He doesn't do well with burgers, fried foods, etc. Are there QS places that serve soups or chili? I know it's going to be too hot for stuff like that, but that's the kind of stuff he has the best luck with, foodwise.

Thanks!

clanmcculloch
04-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Really this isn't a GB issues. This will be handled the same as it would be for anybody who wouldn't eat much food.

Disney owned restaurants that are not fixed price are pretty good about allowing people to share. You will still have to pay for separate drinks obviously but yes you can split entrees and desserts and use only 1 credit. Just make sure you plan enough meals to use up all your credits.

Teppan Edo is not Disney owned. I have read reports of people splitting meals and paying an extra fee for additional rice and veggies (similar to a split plate fee which is not optional when sharing) but I don't know how this works with dining plans. Most of the sharing issues I've read of with non-Disney owned restaurants seem to be for people using dining plans.

I'd take a look at the menus for CS locations and find the ones that serve soups and chilis. You may even be able to use snack credits for those; I think it varies by location. Some may allow it as a snack credit, some may allow it as the dessert option on your meal and others may say it has to be the entree for a meal. Ask at each location.

disneyfool_1202
04-30-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm 7 years out from GB and I've beent to WDW 2 tiems and on DCL 2 times since surgery. First time was about a year post surgery. I could also eat pretty much anything but portions were concerning.
Most of the quick serve places serve grilled chicken, salads, etc, fruit, yogurt, etc... I've never encountered a problem. We only used the dining plan once and I'd explain the situation and order from the kids menu when I could. No matter if you share or not at a TS you'll get charged the full credit (TS meal), but if you're splitting at a quick serve there are no worries.

My "attack plan" is to paruse the menu's on line so I have some idea of which places in which parks have the best options for me. If it's table service, I make sure the whole family can be accomodated. If it's quick serve- it's not a big deal. My DH and kids can eat what they want, and I'll grab something from another quick serve if necessary.

Hope that helps.

4Joyces
04-30-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm 7 years out from GB and I've beent to WDW 2 tiems and on DCL 2 times since surgery. First time was about a year post surgery. I could also eat pretty much anything but portions were concerning.
Most of the quick serve places serve grilled chicken, salads, etc, fruit, yogurt, etc... I've never encountered a problem. We only used the dining plan once and I'd explain the situation and order from the kids menu when I could. No matter if you share or not at a TS you'll get charged the full credit (TS meal), but if you're splitting at a quick serve there are no worries.

My "attack plan" is to paruse the menu's on line so I have some idea of which places in which parks have the best options for me. If it's table service, I make sure the whole family can be accomodated. If it's quick serve- it's not a big deal. My DH and kids can eat what they want, and I'll grab something from another quick serve if necessary.

Hope that helps.

thanks- that was very helpful. I was checking out menus yesterday and made lists of which restaurants at each park had foods that I think he'll be able to eat.

Cinderella's slipper
05-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Hi, I am one year plus from surgery. Most of the counter service restaurants offer options that are easily digestible in portion sizes I can manage. Drinks are not a problem, as my diet and stomach size prevent me from drinking and eating at the same time. I generally need about 30 minutes between eating or drinking before I can do the other. We did upgrade to the Dining plan for our upcoming trip as my DH loves to eat Table Service while we are in the parks. On our last trip DH chose a couple of signature dining locations. He used the dining credits, and we pay OOP for an appetizer for me (which is more than enough food). I think we did this at LeCellier, and California Grill. I hope this helps.

clueluvzdisney
05-01-2012, 04:27 PM
I went on my Honeymoon to Disney world and on a Disney cruise 4 months post op on a table dining plan!!! i was horrified seeing all the delicious food they had to offer!!! we let a half a delicious pizza go to waste because my husband can only eat two big meals a day and here i was ordering a regular size plate and could only eat 1/4 of it. do they have any homeless hungry people hanging around disney world so that I can give my left overs too:)... well i am now 2 years out still eat small portions but way more than i could 4 months out. oh and still over weight... smh. Im going in 2013 for our anniversary to DW and Cruise and will be dining with the same dining plan I amsuper excited and I hope you and your husband will have a blast and wasting alot of food.