PDA

View Full Version : Everest & Broken Leg

AGMommy
04-28-2012, 08:44 PM
My almost 5 yr old broke her leg 7 days before our dream trip to Disney. She has had her heart set on riding Everest for months. She loves coasters and literally cheered at the peds office (before the leg break) when they measured her and she found out she was tall enough to ride Everest. Initially I thought Everest was completely out of the question, but then read somewhere that it might be okay... any thoughts?

Any other tips for a kiddo with a broken leg at Disney. Very much appreciate your experience and help.

Thanks.

Cheshire Figment
04-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Hi and :welcome: to both DisBoards and disABILITIES!

Normally the only things that would prevent a person with a cast from any attraction at WDW is either (a) a safety restraint could not close, or (b) they could cause injury to another Guest. Otherwise there are only warnings which are suggestions and the Guest has to make their own determination. In your situation you would have to make the determination for the child.

But as long as she can get into a seat and the bar come firmly down she should be able to ride.

In addition, you might want to talk to the person who will be removing the cast. Have a line drawn on the cast where it will be cut for removal. Then bring along some "Sharpies" and have the characters autograph the cast, asking them to make sure their signature does not directly cross the line.

Once the cast is removed and fully dried out, you will then have a very unusual souvenir of the trip.

SueM in MN
04-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Besides what Cheshire Figment wrote, you should check with the doctor about whether or not she would be able to ride turbulent rides like Everest. Depending on the type of break and the stage of healing, the doctor may feel it is not a good idea to ride.

AGMommy
04-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Thanks so much! We will check with the doctor.

mickeye
04-29-2012, 02:35 PM
As a Pediatric Nurse, I'd like to tell you that casts and turbulent rides do not mix well. Your daughter already has an insult to her skeletal system and a ride on EE is not worth taking a chance on causing further damage. That said, I don't know the nature of her fracture. Is it a hairline? Is her growth plate involved? You need to check with her doctor and let him make the decision, but make sure he has full knowledge of the situation. I've been on EE and it is very turbulent. It's not worth risking further damage to your daughter's health and welfare. Especially at five years old, she has many years to come when she can enjoy all of these types of rides. Good luck with your decision.