PDA

View Full Version : Adult ordering Child's meal

MVC1225
04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
My mother has an ileostomy and a complete gastrectomy (removal of the entire stomach) so she generally eats small portions. When we go to Disney she generally orders kid's meal at the quick service locations and it is fine for her. This December we are going for a week and plan to do 7 different TS locations. Can she order of the kid's menu at TS restaurants?

We are planning the following restaurants:

Via Napoli - we are just getting a large pizza to share amongst the 3 of us so this should be no issue

Sanaa - kid's meal? (previously had listed Boma by mistake)

Grand Floridian Cafe - kid's meal?

Whispering Canyon - can she get the kid's skillet?

Chef Mickey - we know it will be full adult prize at Buffet

Ohana's - we know it will be full adult price here as all you can eat.

We are hoping our 7th will be Be Our Guest do I'm not asking about that one since who knows.

We are staying offsite so no Dining Plan.

Mrsjvb
04-25-2012, 04:54 PM
generally speaking anybody can order anything they darn well please.

you may also be able to request a smaller portion of an adult menu item..
or do what I do and just have appetizers....

clanmcculloch
04-25-2012, 05:30 PM
All places that are fixed price or all you care to eat will charge based on age and not quantity consumed. Boma I believe is a buffet which means full adult price. At WCC she is welcome to order a kids' meal other than the skillet but the skillet is all you care to eat so I would expect to pay based on age for that.

MVC1225
04-25-2012, 05:38 PM
I meant Sanaa not Boma. Sorry.

aubriee
04-26-2012, 02:14 AM
If you are going to be on the DDP Via Napoli will not let three people share a large pizza. Not sure if they allow it if you are paying OOP though.

ireland_nicole
04-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Out exPerience has been that there is much more flexibility off of the dining plan. When we went in Nov/dec we were never forced to purchase anything- hih

I Love Pluto
04-26-2012, 08:49 AM
If you're using the dining plan - you might run into the same thing we did. NO - YOU CANNOT HAVE A CHILD'S MEAL - YOU MUST HAVE AN ADULT MEAL.

Due to this thinking - I will NEVER purchase the dining plan again. Our week was a nightmare - there are different rules at each resort, different rules in different QS places at the same park, and rude CMs who used body language & vocal tone that was FAR from polite.

My advice - get rid of the QS plan. You'll be frustrated if you need to stray from the RULES.

I Love Pluto
04-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Oops - I didn't read! :guilty:

The OP did mention that they are staying off property without a dining plan.

If you are paying out of pocket, then you probably will not have issue with the kids meal size. We have done this at Epcot, MK, & several resorts.

MVC1225
04-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Thank you for all the responses.

PatsMom
04-27-2012, 11:45 AM
I order kids meals at table service sometimes and have never had a problem. Except of course buffets - they are always adult price as are "all you care to eat" choices like the skillet at Whispering Canyon. The kids meals aren't bad at some places - check out the menus in advance to make sure that there is something that an adult would want.

I also order appetizers as my entree sometimes. No problem with that either.

Another option I use is to split a meal. Not a problem except for the same buffets and all you care to eat places. My daughter will get an appetizer, split an entree with me, and then have room for dessert. So it works out well for us when she is able to travel with me. Splitting an entree has never been a problem. Sometimes we get an extra plate, sometimes they plate it in the kitchen for us.

I should mention that we don't use the dining plan. Not a good value for us.

SueM in MN
04-27-2012, 05:33 PM
My youngest DD is a young adult and has always ordered the kids meals of small portions because she is just tiny (82 pounds).
As others posted, at the counter service restaurants, no one will care. It does say on the menu “for our guests under 12” or something like that, but they honestly don’t know who you are ordering for. My mother (way older than 12) and my sister have also gotten kids meals.
We also often share a meal, or get an appetizer as Patsmom mentioned.

The only places where you would have to pay adult price is buffets, which charge based on age, not amount eaten.

Kat in GA
04-28-2012, 03:46 PM
My mom has had gastric bypass surgery. And she has a card from her doctor explaining that she can only eat a few ounces.

Anyway, I read (I think it was here on the DIS) that you can ask about being charged as a child for a buffet for someone with gastric bypass. So, I was making my ADRs for our summer trip and called Disney dining - and they had me talk to a manager. I was told that it's up to whomever is at the podium when they check you in - but there is leeway for them to discount your mom's meals. It's worth asking about anyway! I know we are going to when we are there in a few weeks (and we aren't using the dining plan either!)