PDA

View Full Version : Free special needs information

brekin67
04-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Hello,
I have been asked to teach a simple lesson about disabilities to non-disabled peers of children with special needs who are pre-school aged. The disabilities of the children include Autism, Aspergers, Mental Retardation, and ADHD. None have visible mobility issues.
When my DD was very young we were given a coloring book that depicted photos of character children having physical disabilities. Under each picture was a simple statement with information on that disability.
Do you know where I can find free, downloadable information on the internet that includes a coloring book with simple information?
I have found multiple coloring books with pictures, but none gave information on the same page.
I hope to keep the information simple for this class of 4,5,6 year olds.
If you have a better idea on another activity, I would love to hear it.
Thank you.

funkychunkymonkey
04-20-2012, 05:08 PM
I would see if you could borrow some equipment. like some of the stuff kids use to learn with. Mobility issues are eaiser to teach, I brought in a walker and let all the kids try it.

brekin67
04-20-2012, 05:23 PM
That's a great idea.

Escape2Disney
04-20-2012, 06:04 PM
One thing I've seen done is have the kids wear either 3d or prescription glasses while trying to color or play with blocks. Then explain that for some people in the world, their life is fuzzy like when they are wearing the glasses. If explained right, it can make quite an impact.

brekin67
04-21-2012, 02:45 PM
Thank you. I do have a few pair of 3D plastic glasses here.

fairetails
04-24-2012, 02:08 PM
That is awesome just please don't use the term Mental Retardation. That is no longer a legally acceptable word. Good Luck!

aggordon2
04-24-2012, 08:55 PM
That is awesome just please don't use the term Mental Retardation. That is no longer a legally acceptable word. Good Luck!

that is not true, my son had not done that well on an IQ test and was classified as "Mild Mentally Retarded", and this is the formal classification from the psychologist.

utterrandomness
04-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Clinical diagnosis or not, the term has a significant negative connotation and is used only in a derogatory fashion in mainstream society.