PDA

View Full Version : Stroller as a wheelchair questions

chloelovesdisney
04-17-2012, 07:47 PM
I will be requesting to use the stroller as a wheelchair for my chronic back issues since I will not be able to carry ds for the length of the lines.

A couple of questions -

How close to loading may I take the stroller?

For attractions that do not exit at the same location as boarding, do I go back around to pick up the stroller?

Any input from anyone with experience with this is greatly appreciated, thank you. :flower3:

Edited to add - Is the stroller permitted in the restaurants there?

Betty Rohrer
04-17-2012, 10:01 PM
on rides where you get off at different spot from where you get on, i assume it would work like adult wheelchair or EVC. they are moved by CM's to unload area. not sure about restaurants, may have to move to a parking area after getting to table.

SueM in MN
04-17-2012, 10:39 PM
I will be requesting to use the stroller as a wheelchair for my chronic back issues since I will not be able to carry ds for the length of the lines.

A couple of questions -

How close to loading may I take the stroller?
all the way to boarding.
For attractions that do not exit at the same location as boarding, do I go back around to pick up the stroller?
Depending on the attraction, you may be directed to a different boarding area - in most cases, you will wait in he regular line until close to boarding, then be directed to another area.
In other cass, you will leave the stroller at the boarding area and a CM will move it to the unload area where it will be waiting when you get off.
Any input from anyone with experience with this is greatly appreciated, thank you. :flower3:
Check out post 6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread about Guest Assistance Cards. You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.
Edited to add - Is the stroller permitted in the restaurants there?
That would depend on the restaurant and how close everything is together. They should be able to work with you.

chloelovesdisney
04-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Thank you very much for the info. I'm sure it will all make sense once we are there and everything will go smoothly, of course I can't help but try to think it all through. :upsidedow

One of my big concerns is getting into and out of attraction vehicles and boats if they are down low. If ds is strapped to me or I am holding him I can't really use my arms to help push us up and out of the car/boat.

Anything like that I want to avoid, is there a list of attractions that are difficult to get out of? I'll know them when I see them and won't get on if it's questionable, I don't want to get stuck. :eek: What do they do if a guest can't get out of the ride vehicle? :scratchin

Thanks again.

SueM in MN
04-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Look on page 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
Posts 18-22 are about getting in and out of ride cars.
It was originally written for someone using an ECV who had bad knees, but should be useful for anyone who might have issues with stepping up or down.

chloelovesdisney
04-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Thank you Sue, I read through all that information and have a pretty good idea of what we will be doing. A few attractions I may get on line for but when we get to the actual boarding I may end up changing my mind if it looks too low down.