PDA

View Full Version : How do I get an accurate picture as to how full ships are?

Fatima1922
04-14-2012, 09:50 AM
I wanted to have an idea of how full our next cruise is but my TA told me she didn't know. All she could tell me was with the exception of suites there are rooms available in all categories. I find it strange she couldn't tell me. Can I find out on my own?

brianvdb
04-14-2012, 11:22 AM
See the following thread from earlier this week....

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2910060

kcashner
04-14-2012, 11:35 AM
OK, I'm not trying to be rude to OP, but why do people care how full the ship is? On our almost 30 cruises, I've found that passenger mix is far more important than absolute numbers! There is a huge difference between a cruise like a trans-Atlantic where many cabins were filled with solo adults and there were very few school age kids on the ship compared to a President's week cruise which is very full of school age kids...and that is different than the second week in September which tends to have a lot of toddlers and young kids...even though all three may have the same number of cabins sold. And then there are the KSF cruises....a great bargain if you qualify, but definitely a different cruise if you aren't with kids!

If the concern is whether upgrades may be available at the terminal, there is no point in being concerned about unsold cabins until about a week before you cruise--farther out than that, DCL may still be assigning IGT/OGT/VGT bookings as well as trying to get last minute TA/CM bookings. If the point in asking is whether DCL may offer a special on your date, most of the deals are "new bookings only," so it won't change your situation.

Fatima1922
04-14-2012, 02:57 PM
I an asking because I am hoping to upgrade at the terminal. Thank you for answering my question.

OK, I'm not trying to be rude to OP, but why do people care how full the ship is? On our almost 30 cruises, I've found that passenger mix is far more important than absolute numbers! There is a huge difference between a cruise like a trans-Atlantic where many cabins were filled with solo adults and there were very few school age kids on the ship compared to a President's week cruise which is very full of school age kids...and that is different than the second week in September which tends to have a lot of toddlers and young kids...even though all three may have the same number of cabins sold. And then there are the KSF cruises....a great bargain if you qualify, but definitely a different cruise if you aren't with kids!

If the concern is whether upgrades may be available at the terminal, there is no point in being concerned about unsold cabins until about a week before you cruise--farther out than that, DCL may still be assigning IGT/OGT/VGT bookings as well as trying to get last minute TA/CM bookings. If the point in asking is whether DCL may offer a special on your date, most of the deals are "new bookings only," so it won't change your situation.