PDA

View Full Version : Any Swag for DVC Members on sailings?

Quicklabs
04-14-2012, 10:03 AM
DH and I are boarding the Fantasy in one week. :woohoo: Does anyone know if DVC provides any swag such as lanyards, beach bags or packs or any other Disney largess on cruises. We didn't use our points for this. How does DVC know when a member is sailing? I did call our guide to put a bug in her ear just in case.

TDC Nala
04-14-2012, 10:06 AM
I've been getting lanyards in a wooden box. If they know you are DVC you will get a magnet on your door. and usually if you ask at the DVC desk they have a pin to give out.

Also if you go to the DVC member gathering on your cruise they give out a baseball cap, a bag, and they have drawings for everything from passport holders to beach towels to stateroom credit.

kcashner
04-14-2012, 10:06 AM
If there are not magnets on your door when you check in, stop by the DVC desk to be sure you are on the list. THey get it right about 1/2 the time for members using cash.

Box with lanyards in room, hats at member celebration, prizes at member celebration, and if you are really lucky, you'll win the drawing for a stateroom credit.

Quicklabs
04-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Will definitely be attending the member gathering...:thumbsup2

TDC Nala
04-14-2012, 10:13 AM
they have free drinks too...weak mimosas...but they're free.

conchflats
04-14-2012, 10:22 AM
If want DVC SWAG do a member cruise. You won't be able to pack it all home without a extra bag.

sissy_ib
04-14-2012, 11:23 AM
If there are not magnets on your door when you check in, stop by the DVC desk to be sure you are on the list. THey get it right about 1/2 the time for members using cash.

Box with lanyards in room, hats at member celebration, prizes at member celebration, and if you are really lucky, you'll win the drawing for a stateroom credit.

Our magnet showed up later. I wanna say after the muster drill.

JulieLovesMickey
04-14-2012, 01:33 PM
You can't beat a freebie!

2boysmommy
04-23-2012, 02:41 PM
What is the best way to let DCL know that we are DVC members? (traveling on cash and not points) Our TA said they do not do anything for us and there is no place to attach our number to our reservation anyway. Should I call DCL directly? This is our first DCL cruise but we have been DVC members for years.

DisFanJen
04-23-2012, 02:59 PM
What is the best way to let DCL know that we are DVC members? (traveling on cash and not points) Our TA said they do not do anything for us and there is no place to attach our number to our reservation anyway. Should I call DCL directly? This is our first DCL cruise but we have been DVC members for years.

Last cruise I did I wasn't on the list so I just went to the member gathering and said "I is DVC, give me shwag!".

Well, maybe not quite like that... ;)

gert
04-23-2012, 03:16 PM

I became a DVC member after booking my upcoming cruise, so I emailed DCL to tell them essentially what the PP said, "I is DVC, give me shwag!". The response I got was pretty much "check your daily navigator for special member events!" So I'm going to be stopping by the DVC desk to repeat my request for le shwag. =)

cwdefouw
04-23-2012, 03:25 PM
While the onboard member events are fun. They are really just designed to make sure you are very much aware of what the current incentives/prices are for add-on's and to push Aulani, or whatever resort is the newest. If you ever do want to purchase an add-on, cruises are certainly the best place to do so.

iloverags2
04-23-2012, 04:24 PM
If a non-DVC member sails with a DVC member (same stateroom, member sailing on points and non-member sailing on cash) can the non-member attend the DVC events with the member? Just curious, as we don't plan on doing anything separate, but would hate for the DVC member to miss out on anything!

squirrel
04-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Another question to add!

Is there a DVC meeting to join while on board?

I know at the resorts they have SSR where there are mock rooms to show is there anything on the cruise ships?

Disney Dreams
04-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Another question to add!

Is there a DVC meeting to join while on board?

I know at the resorts they have SSR where there are mock rooms to show is there anything on the cruise ships?

Ooooh yeah. There's a few of them.

- Dreams

gailg3horses
04-23-2012, 05:44 PM
If a non-DVC member sails with a DVC member (same stateroom, member sailing on points and non-member sailing on cash) can the non-member attend the DVC events with the member? Just curious, as we don't plan on doing anything separate, but would hate for the DVC member to miss out on anything!

Absolutely you can attend together. They have events for members and nonmembers (hoping to make you a member :rotfl2:).

jlwhitney
04-23-2012, 07:12 PM
I've been getting lanyards in a wooden box. If they know you are DVC you will get a magnet on your door. and usually if you ask at the DVC desk they have a pin to give out.

Also if you go to the DVC member gathering on your cruise they give out a baseball cap, a bag, and they have drawings for everything from passport holders to beach towels to stateroom credit.

They don't do the wooden boxes anymore. It was a pirate mickey themed cardboard box.

They have a new pin they are handing out, it is pirate mickely and and anchor

WE also got a red thingy that you attached to your lugguage handle.

sissy_ib
04-23-2012, 07:15 PM
They don't do the wooden boxes anymore. It was a pirate mickey themed cardboard box.

Can I ask when this was?

baddog576
04-23-2012, 08:32 PM

We just went on the Magic last month and we got the magnet, a wooden box with 4 lanyards for all of us and a picture of Walt and his wife on a cruise when we stopped by the DVC desk midship one day. Maybe they give you a card board one if they know you already have the wooden one?

When we got to Port Canaveral I saw the DVC desk before where you check in for the ship and I just mentioned we were members and if there was anything special for members and he took my Stateroom number down.

We went to the Member Celebration only to have the chance to win the $200 credit (DH did not want to go since he knew it would be a sales pitch) but we won! :D

sissy_ib
04-23-2012, 08:38 PM
We just went on the Magic last month and we got the magnet, a wooden box with 4 lanyards for all of us and a picture of Walt and his wife on a cruise when we stopped by the DVC desk midship one day. Maybe they give you a card board one if they know you already have the wooden one?

When we got to Port Canaveral I saw the DVC desk before where you check in for the ship and I just mentioned we were members and if there was anything special for members and he took my Stateroom number down.

We went to the Member Celebration only to have the chance to win the $200 credit (DH did not want to go since he knew it would be a sales pitch) but we won! :D

Woo Hoo! Congrats. I was just happy with a free drink and het. Our team won the trivia game thing and I got a passport holder which I was excited about. lol

Breyean
04-23-2012, 08:47 PM
On an Alaska cruise last May (WOW, a year ago already), we went to the member meeting but won nothing.

Toward the end of the cruise we were walking by the room where they were having a non member sales pitch meeting. We asked if we, as DVC members, could attend since we were just killing time. CM said sure, and gave us a card to fill out for the raffle.

During the meeting they asked how many there were already members even though it was supposedly for new recruits. Lots of hands went up, so we didn't feel weird being there.

At the raffle, the prize was a $300 credit. They pulled out a couple's card, but one of them had left, so they said they didn't qualify to win.

So they pulled another card - WE WON!

It topped a great trip. The sail date was our 30th wedding anniversary. The weekend before in Vancouver I ran a marathon and my wife a half marathon. Then the cruise, so we had a great way to replenish all those calories were expended doing the races!

baddog576
04-23-2012, 08:58 PM
On an Alaska cruise last May (WOW, a year ago already), we went to the member meeting but won nothing.

Toward the end of the cruise we were walking by the room where they were having a non member sales pitch meeting. We asked if we, as DVC members, could attend since we were just killing time. CM said sure, and gave us a card to fill out for the raffle.

During the meeting they asked how many there were already members even though it was supposedly for new recruits. Lots of hands went up, so we didn't feel weird being there.

At the raffle, the prize was a $300 credit. They pulled out a couple's card, but one of them had left, so they said they didn't qualify to win.

So they pulled another card - WE WON!

It topped a great trip. The sail date was our 30th wedding anniversary. The weekend before in Vancouver I ran a marathon and my wife a half marathon. Then the cruise, so we had a great way to replenish all those calories were expended doing the races!

VERY NICE! I saw the non member meeting was a $300 credit and ours was 'only' a $200. Maybe we'll try to hit that one up next time as well.

I forgot, we also got a Mickey pin with an anchor and some hats and a reusable grocery DVC bag. Can't wait for our 2nd cruise next month to get the Castaway Club goodies. :D

jlwhitney
04-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Can I ask when this was?

This was for the April 14th Fantasty sailing.

jlwhitney
04-23-2012, 09:03 PM

I have gotten the wooden box mulitple times. I think they just changed it.

DizDays
04-23-2012, 09:43 PM
Does anyone know if it is the same swag for all ships or does it vary between the four? Is something different offered on an Alaskan cruise versus the caribbean or a 7 day vs. a 4 day?

I would think with so many DVCers doing so many repeat cruises, they'd switch it up a bit.

Hunclemarco
04-23-2012, 11:35 PM
We were on the March 1-4 Dream Cruise....

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr63/Hunclemarco/IMG_2076.jpg

sunshine1259
04-24-2012, 01:48 AM
What if a DVC member is in one cabin and the Associate is booked in another, does just the DVC member get invited or do both?

TDC Nala
04-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Maybe they give you a card board one if they know you already have the wooden one?

I doubt it, I have four wooden ones. Will be good to get cardboard, that can be thrown away.

nikknyc
04-24-2012, 08:59 AM
We were on the March 1-4 Dream Cruise....

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr63/Hunclemarco/IMG_2076.jpg

same for last week on the Magic! I'd really like to go on the member cruise but can't swing it this time. I must say, DVC was the best investment I ever made.

bluenosemickey
04-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Don't know if this was just a coincidence, but we travelled with 5 other cabins and we were the only DVC members. We were the only only cabin to get a reclining chair on our veranda. We also got the wooden box with lanyards and door magnets. This was March 13 sailing this year :confused3

sunshine1259
04-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Don't know if this was just a coincidence, but we travelled with 5 other cabins and we were the only DVC members. We were the only only cabin to get a reclining chair on our veranda. We also got the wooden box with lanyards and door magnets. This was March 13 sailing this year :confused3

Do you think that would have happen if say an associate member was booked in one of the other cabins. My husband is booked in one cabin and I am booked in another (the associate). Would I (and the person in the room with me) be allowed to the DVC gatherings? Of course, if it is just the one room, I would go with my husband.

sissy_ib
04-24-2012, 05:02 PM
Do you think that would have happen if say an associate member was booked in one of the other cabins. My husband is booked in one cabin and I am booked in another (the associate). Would I (and the person in the room with me) be allowed to the DVC gatherings? Of course, if it is just the one room, I would go with my husband.

They don't check ID at the door at the meetings. They don't care who you bring because it is a sales pitch more or less. Everyone on board gets an invitation to the non-member presentations.

As for the gifts, as I understand it those are for members cabins only, not associates.
The reclining chair thing sounds like a coincidence.

sunshine1259
04-24-2012, 05:14 PM
They don't check ID at the door at the meetings. They don't care who you bring because it is a sales pitch more or less. Everyone on board gets an invitation to the non-member presentations.

As for the gifts, as I understand it those are for members cabins only, not associates.
The reclining chair thing sounds like a coincidence.

Ok, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks.

U2FanHfx
04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
We won the stateroom credit our last cruise. Boy has my wife not lived it down. She said "we never win anything" and I insisted we go. :rotfl:

rosermama
04-24-2012, 09:43 PM
If want DVC SWAG do a member cruise. You won't be able to pack it all home without a extra bag.

What kind of swag do you get at the member cruise?????

To those who asked about buying on the cruise- we added to ours on the cruise and it is one of the best deals out there we got a great deal on GCV and bought 100 points best choice EVER

Also when you are on Castaway Cay the DVC guys will walk around the island and give stuff out. Those hats they give out are really nice the white ones with a Mickey outline very nice.

A&M's Mommy
04-25-2012, 09:39 PM
I can confirm that the wooden boxes were replaced by the cardboard pirate Mickey boxes. We were on the April 19th Dream sailing. We got lanyards, a pin, hats, and a blue mesh beach bag. We had to stop by the DVC desk on deck 4 to pick everything up as we did not attend any of the member activities. The 2 DVC guys weren't friendly at all, which was disappointing. Maybe because we told them we had just added on while in WDW before the cruise. :rotfl:

jlowejd5
04-26-2012, 12:34 AM
I is also DVC, and schwag was haved by all.

We actually bought into DVC onboard a few years ago and almost needed an extra bag to lug home all the stuff they threw at us. Bags and hats and twelve pounds of paperwork. We also got they wooden box on the Dream in October. It was a nice unexpected kinda thing.

We didn't do the DVC get-togethers on the Dream, as we only had three days, but we did pop by the desk a couple of times to say hi and see if they had any little trinkets.

pxlbarrel
04-26-2012, 07:07 AM
My next cruise since becoming a DVC member is next year's Med cruise. As appealing as the wooden box appears, I don't think I want to lug it home from Europe. :rotfl: Hopefully the cardboard boxes are a permanent change ... at least until I sail from Port Canveral again. ;)

mrdisnie
04-26-2012, 08:46 AM
We have been DVC members for over 12 years and we will be going on our first Disney Cruise out of NYC this summer, can't wait!!!! Finally convinced my DW to do the cruise!!! I have been reading these posts and have a question.

We are using our points for the cruise and I am wondering if the swag is automatically placed in your stateroom or is it something that has to be inquired about? I hate to sound like I am looking for anything free, well maybe a little, LOL but some of the items sound pretty cool and I know my DD would love them and would be surprised with them in the room. Then again we all love anything with Disney on it.

BTW thanks for the post!! Would never have thought about DVC Swag!!!

Thanks Again
Mrdisnie

jfahome
04-26-2012, 09:19 AM
I've had to call DCL for several reasons in preparing for this cruise and each time I do, I ask them if I need/should let them know that we are now DVC members (as we weren't when we booked). They said no, you can just stop by the DVC desk sometime while you are on board. I get kinds bummed (for some reason) when they say no, but I'll stop by the desk either way. This will be our first sailing since becoming DVC members, but we aren't using our points for the cruise.

cwdefouw
04-26-2012, 03:17 PM
We have been DVC members for over 12 years and we will be going on our first Disney Cruise out of NYC this summer, can't wait!!!! Finally convinced my DW to do the cruise!!! I have been reading these posts and have a question.

We are using our points for the cruise and I am wondering if the swag is automatically placed in your stateroom or is it something that has to be inquired about? I hate to sound like I am looking for anything free, well maybe a little, LOL but some of the items sound pretty cool and I know my DD would love them and would be surprised with them in the room. Then again we all love anything with Disney on it.

BTW thanks for the post!! Would never have thought about DVC Swag!!!

Thanks Again
Mrdisnie

If you booked with points, it should be in your stateroom. Probably not at embarkation, but within a day or so. Some swag you can only get at the member gatherings, and if you stop at the DVC kiosk and tell them you are member, they usually have a pin for you. If you are a member but book with cash through DCL, sometimes they don't realize you're a member, but if you stop at the member gathering or the DVC kiosk and tell them, they will get you on the list and you will get the gifts. Usually you can tell, if you have a DVC magnet on your door when you get to your cabin, they have you on the list, no magnet, they probably didn't make the connection.

Shelebeen
04-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Do they put the magnet inside your stateroom if you are in concierge since the doors aren't magnetic? :)