PDA

View Full Version : w/c supplied by resorts?

crazymomof4
04-13-2012, 11:08 PM
The last time mom came with us we rented her a w/c from an outside vendor. That was in '07.

I was just reading on allears: "At Lobby Concierge in the main lobby building you can borrow a "push" wheelchair for your entire stay in the French Quarter. A deposit is required for when you check out a wheelchair, but upon return of the wheelchair your deposit is refunded in full. That is the only "cost" for renting a wheelchair through a Disney Resort. *Wheelchair Availability Is On A First Come First Serve Basis*

Hmmm, didn't know we could do that! So what's the consensus? Are there usually enough w/c's available? Can I count on one being there?

LockShockBarrel
04-13-2012, 11:56 PM
I doubt it, otherwise there wouldn't be umpteen threads on renting chairs. Even if it was so, I'd be there's very few and they're probably in rough shape. I'd also imagine they're the butt sling kind vs a padded kind and the butt sling (sorry I don't know how else to describe it other than butt hammock) are reportedly very uncomfortable to sit in for extended periods.

Mrsjvb
04-14-2012, 04:46 AM
they are meant to be used in case of emergency that comes up once there.. NOT if you know up front you need one.

they are also in very poor condition. and there are only one or 2 available..

rent from off site or bring your own.

SueM in MN
04-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Many of the people who have posted about using them reported they were not in the best condition.

As was posted, they are meant or people who have some unforeseen need that comes up - like an accident or injury - where they may not be able to get one on short notice from a rental company. They can't be reserved ahead of time and there is no guarantee they will have one when you arrive or what condition it will be in. Some people who have done it also reported that the wheelchair they got was not the correct size (regular when thy needed wide or the other way around) or that they had to wait a day or 2 for one to become available.

If you know you need a wheelchair ahead of time, the only 'for sure' way is to rent one. There are places listed in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread where you can rent one. The thread is near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

dclfun
04-14-2012, 02:05 PM
I would rent a chair if you know you need one. I recall needing one years ago at POFQ as I was ambulatory at the time but needed a place for my ventilator as it was large and unwieldy. I could push it in a chair and stay attached. I asked for one but they were out of them, so we could not visit the parks that day...well, my friend went on without me. If I had known about w/c rentals back then I'd have done one right away vs. having to wait.

crazymomof4
04-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks everyone! sooooo glad I asked here bc the way it's worded, well, it sounds like Disney will take care of your w/c needs. It would have been awful to get down there and find out otherwise.
We will be renting. I was happy with the company we used in '07. I know I have their receipt in with my WDW stuff.