PDA

View Full Version : 8 night out of nyc. Is trip to wdw worth the hassle.

moosecrouse
04-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Just wondering if trip to WDW on day we're at Port Canaveral is worth the 1.5 hour bus trip each way. Have done WDW 2 least once a year for last 10+ years so this seems to be more aggravation then it could possibly be worth. Any thoughts?:confused3

jdb in AZ
04-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Just wondering if trip to WDW on day we're at Port Canaveral is worth the 1.5 hour bus trip each way. Have done WDW 2 least once a year for last 10+ years so this seems to be more aggravation then it could possibly be worth. Any thoughts?:confused3

Since you've been there/done that, I'd take the NYC to Canada trip instead.

glassslipper2004
04-14-2012, 05:56 AM
I had the same thought, and ultimately decided this cruise wasn't for me. If you don't want to go to WDW (which I love, but we've done a zillion times) then the ports aren't going to offer you much. Maybe go to the Kennedy Space Center that day?

moosecrouse
04-14-2012, 06:10 AM
Def. wanna do this cruise. Live in New York & have already done a shorter cruise(which didnt feel long enough) so rules out canadian sailing. Was thinking of staying on the ship and relaxing.

disneyholic family
04-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Def. wanna do this cruise. Live in New York & have already done a shorter cruise(which didnt feel long enough) so rules out canadian sailing. Was thinking of staying on the ship and relaxing.

how many hours are you in PC?
when do you get to PC and when do you leave PC?

i think if it were me, i'd go to WDW - even if it's only for a few hours...
i think it would be fun - sort of an adventure and very different from the way i normally do WDW..

aidtrismommy
04-14-2012, 06:29 AM
We go to Disney once a year also, one day would not be enough for me. It just seems like a hassle and not worth it for my family. Other families are probably really excited about the opportunity. I would much rather stay on the ship or go to the beach.

disneyholic family
04-14-2012, 06:35 AM
i was thinking about it and i would definitely go to WDW...
even though we go to WDW once a year for 3 or 4 weeks at a time, i would still head for WDW....
it's where i'd rather be....certainly not on a beach (i live 10 minutes from the mediterranean) and certainly not on the ship (it's an 8 day cruise, lots of ship time)...
no, i'd rather be in WDW....even for just a day..

owensamo
04-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Since the transportation and tickets are included in the cruise fare - i.e. it's a "free" excursion - I'd go, but I'd probably focus on the things that I don't do on a normal week-long trip to make it different/special -
- a behind-the-seeds tour at Epoct
- spend time in Innoventions (which we never do!)
- one of the dolphin swims at the Living Seas
- try to see at least one show and do one attraction in each park
- eating around the entire world with food from all 4 parks
- etc

The possibilities are endless!

Maybe your DIS meet group could put together a Mousefest-style scavenger hunt - that would certainly make for an entertaining day around the World! :thumbsup2

moosecrouse
04-14-2012, 07:26 AM
Plan is to start @ Magic Kingdom with my sister's inlaws. They have 2 small boys who've never been to Disney & wanna spend the day there. My sister's family is heading to epcot after an early lunch. My nephews are ages 8 to 13 and epcot is there favorite. Main reason is Innoventions and the little shows around the "world". This may have to be a game time descision. LOL

NancyIL
04-14-2012, 08:30 AM
You're paying for one-day park hoppers plus transportation to WDW - whether or not you go! I go to WDW several times a year, but I'd still go for the day.

Goin'Again???Yes!!!
04-14-2012, 08:44 AM
We go to Disney at least twice a year and sometimes more and my kids wouldn't think of missing an opportunity to go. We are going to try to do all of the 'mountains' then have dinner and fireworks in Epcot before heading back to the ship.

suzyqn
04-14-2012, 09:43 AM
OP, this response probably doesn't help you but I thought I'd share...

I LOVE Magic Kingdom and during our annual passes we always ended our day there. However, keep in mind that it takes the longest to get to. If your buses take you to the Ticket and Transportation Center it can be quite awhile before you actually make it into the park. If time is short try one of the other parks you can get to easily. Also remember that it takes about 1hour to park hop between parks (when MK is involved).

designertravels
04-14-2012, 10:11 AM
We are going on that cruise. We are taking advantage of going to a park we have never been to. (Hollywood Studios) For a family of four it is quite a cost savings if thinking about flying to Florida and buying park tickets. If the drive seems a waste of time, you could go in w/ someone and hire private transfers. It will probably go much faster.

Jill

Shell54
04-14-2012, 10:27 AM
We're on that cruise and going to the the Magic Kingdom. We've already got ressies at CRT for lunch:cool1: We're just going to do what we want and go back to the ship when we're tired. All aboard is quite late..I think 11:30pm?

mmouse37
04-14-2012, 11:26 AM
I believe the buses are taking you directly to each park....on the excursions page at the DCL site I am pretty sure I saw where you needed to choose a bus for the park you wanted to visit first.

I was torn on this (recently booked the first cruise on May 25th out of NYC with my cousin). At first I thought why bother....I have been to WDW at least 40 times before and will be spending 4 days there in June after our Fantasy cruise...but then the more I thought about it I got excited. We decided to go to AK because my cousin has never been there before....we decided to do an excursion I normally would not do....the Wild Africa Trek (too expensive to do with my family of five when we go in June... but since this trip I will only paying for myself I will do it in May). After that excursion we will meet friends in Downtown Disney and then head back to the ship...if we are still around maybe an early dinner at one of the resorts. No pressure....

I am VERY excited about it now!!!

MJ

disneyholic family
04-14-2012, 01:15 PM
I believe the buses are taking you directly to each park....on the excursions page at the DCL site I am pretty sure I saw where you needed to choose a bus for the park you wanted to visit first.

I was torn on this (recently booked the first cruise on May 25th out of NYC with my cousin). At first I thought why bother....I have been to WDW at least 40 times before and will be spending 4 days there in June after our Fantasy cruise...but then the more I thought about it I got excited. We decided to go to AK because my cousin has never been there before....we decided to do an excursion I normally would not do....the Wild Africa Trek (too expensive to do with my family of five when we go in June... but since this trip I will only paying for myself I will do it in May). After that excursion we will meet friends in Downtown Disney and then head back to the ship...if we are still around maybe an early dinner at one of the resorts. No pressure....

MJ

doing one of the tours is a great idea!! when i was there by myself for a conference two years ago, i came down a week early and did all the behind the scenes tours! they're way too expensive to do with the whole family, but on my own i could afford it. It was so much fun!!!

mmouse37
04-14-2012, 01:24 PM
doing one of the tours is a great idea!! when i was there by myself for a conference two years ago, i came down a week early and did all the behind the scenes tours! they're way too expensive to do with the whole family, but on my own i could afford it. It was so much fun!!!

Exactly!!!

MJ

Aurora's Mommy
04-15-2012, 09:16 AM
We are taking the NYC cruise in August, and if anything just keep thinking that one day is not enough :hyper:. But, as already pointed out, it's included. You get off the ship, onto a shuttle, off the shuttle, into a park, then reverse. Easy peasy. As you've been there multiple times, you don't have to try to see everything. Worst case, you waste time on the shuttle (well, and you have to pay for you food while you are there).

Also wanted to note, for those of you going soon (lucky) on the 8-night from NYC, please share when you get back. If you could post your navigators, that would be excellent!

NancyIL
04-15-2012, 09:50 AM

MJ

After reading this yesterday, I booked the Gardens of the World tour at Epcot for my solo birthday trip this week! :banana:

Dislaney4n6
04-15-2012, 10:16 AM
My two cents.. outside of food.. its included!

I have been to the World the last two years in August. Since everything is included, I will be heading to the parks for my excursion on the cruise. I know full well that I won't see everything, but that is ok. Just seeing the castle and walking down Main Street is enough.

Chances are high that my group will be eating dinner on the ship, as by mid afternoon we are hot, tired, and cranky between the heat and crowds.

Happy Goofy
04-15-2012, 10:28 AM
We booked the 8:15 bus to Animal Kingdom. Both my husband and myself have some walking issues( nerve disease and double knee replacement) so we will be renting the electric scooters to get around.Just hope they have some when we get there. Disney will not put any aside for us and the independent companies are not allowed to come into the parks.

santom
04-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Dh and I think it is just going to make us book another trip to WDW sooner rather then later.

We are on the 5/25 cruise so the first one. We decided to take the 6:30 bus to HS because my DS5 is a huge star wars fan (as is DH) so we want to make sure he can do Jedi Training Academy and ride Star Tours. We are going to spend about the first half of the day at HS and then go over to MK and spend the rest of the day there. Decided to skip Epcot since Test Track will be closed and therefore Soarin will be mobbed. AK is our least favorite park so decided to skip it too. 2 parks seems doable with 3 kids (5, 10 and 13). Going to try to hit all the big rides in the 2 parks and anything else is gravy. I know DH and DD13 will want Turkey Legs too. :)

moosecrouse
04-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Booked the bus to MK. Travelling with 15 other people including my BIL's 94 yr old grandmother and my mom who has scooter. If they're not up to making the trip I'll probaly stay on board with them. Would love one of the tours but gonna have to stay with group if i make the trip.

ksloane
04-15-2012, 07:48 PM
We wouldn't miss the trip to WDW and we also go at least once a year for the last few years...

We are looking at it as a new adventure though as we never go for ONE day....I can't wait to see what we end up doing and passing on....My daughter has already made our list of plans and we'll see how much we can do in the time we have....

scrapbookmomma74
04-16-2012, 02:12 AM
We were just on the Magic in March. After our cruise, we stayed in Orlando for 2 days, with family. We weren't planning on doing parks, but due to a little "pixie dust", we were able to get into Epcot for very little. So, we decided to do the "Behind the Seeds" tour and then we had lunch in Mexico, visited the Butterfly Garden, rode Mission:Space, and left to have a lovely dinner at Cape May in the Beach Club.
As other posters have said, its included in your cruise cost, so why not go and enjoy a low key day and do something you've never done? A tour might be exactly what you need! :)
And, keep in mind, although food isn't included, you can eat pretty economically at the quick serves. We've found that DH and I can usually split a meal and then have a little snack (or a HUGE ice cream cone!) later. :)
Have a great cruise!

DMMarla07860
04-16-2012, 05:50 AM
I'm excited about my 8 night out of NYC. I am actually going to WDW on Thursday of this month before I go on the Fantasy Saturday. Since I know I will most likely be going back to WDW in August I'm not going to worry too much if I miss a ride I really like, I'm not a big ride person so only a few rides I like. In August for the trip I can do too things I love go to epcot and go there and not have to fly to Orlando, I hate flying, but for cruises and disney I will do it:rotfl2:

b080972
04-16-2012, 09:06 AM
Could someone please post the times of the buses from the ship to the Magic Kingdom. As regards is it worth the hassle I am from Scotland and when we were young all we heard of was Mickey Mouse, Didn't know where he came from. I am in my sixties and like a previous poster I will just be in awe to see the Castle and main Street. Anything else will be a big bonus. Thanks

Dislaney4n6
04-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Could someone please post the times of the buses from the ship to the Magic Kingdom. As regards is it worth the hassle I am from Scotland and when we were young all we heard of was Mickey Mouse, Didn't know where he came from. I am in my sixties and like a previous poster I will just be in awe to see the Castle and main Street. Anything else will be a big bonus. Thanks

Since they are an excursion you have to sign up for, a time may or may not be available when your 'window' opens. Reports are that buses will start around 7am. PP stated that AK buses were 715, 815 and 1015, so the schedule will also be dependent on your park choice.

Based on what I can tell, you have about 3 weeks til your 75 day mark. Sign up for the bus ASAP.
HTH

b080972
04-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Since they are an excursion you have to sign up for, a time may or may not be available when your 'window' opens. Reports are that buses will start around 7am. PP stated that AK buses were 715, 815 and 1015, so the schedule will also be dependent on your park choice.

Based on what I can tell, you have about 3 weeks til your 75 day mark. Sign up for the bus ASAP.
HTH

Thank you, I was hoping for a time around 9.15. Hopefully we will still be in time to get the 8.15. We are wishing our life away but roll on window opening time. I hate not being able to plan things when I want to even though I am prepared that I do not always get what I want. Ah well not long to wait now.

Dislaney4n6
04-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Thank you, I was hoping for a time around 9.15. Hopefully we will still be in time to get the 8.15. We are wishing our life away but roll on window opening time. I hate not being able to plan things when I want to even though I am prepared that I do not always get what I want. Ah well not long to wait now.

I totally understand! I am on the sailing after yours so I am antsy as well!

suffieldhockeymom
04-16-2012, 07:00 PM

I believe they start at 6:30 AM. You have to book the bus to where you want to go first as a port adventure.

Mom2PrincessesLinSy
04-16-2012, 10:48 PM
We already booked our dining at Liberty Tree Tavern. We plan on heading over to Downtown Disney for some shopping if the parks are too hot and crowded to bother with.

Stocking up on the quarters and pennies to do our typical "smushed pennies" treks. Also want to see what the magic interactive thing is at MK now too. Sounds like the Kim Possible missions at Epcot, which were A LOT of fun :)

A trip to the park is what you make of it!

DLW8
04-17-2012, 07:59 AM
Dh and I think it is just going to make us book another trip to WDW sooner rather then later.

We are on the 5/25 cruise so the first one. We decided to take the 6:30 bus to HS because my DS5 is a huge star wars fan (as is DH) so we want to make sure he can do Jedi Training Academy and ride Star Tours. We are going to spend about the first half of the day at HS and then go over to MK and spend the rest of the day there. Decided to skip Epcot since Test Track will be closed and therefore Soarin will be mobbed. AK is our least favorite park so decided to skip it too. 2 parks seems doable with 3 kids (5, 10 and 13). Going to try to hit all the big rides in the 2 parks and anything else is gravy. I know DH and DD13 will want Turkey Legs too. :)

If yuo want to sign up for the Jedi Training as soon as the park opens head for the "Sounds Dangerous" studio to sign up for the training! We went there immediately (DS and I) while DH and DD went to get Fast Passes for TSM. My DS wasn't able to get into the Jedi Training until the 2:30 PM show...they only take 10 kids per show. Your DS MUST be with you when you sign him up.

Enjoy!