PDA

View Full Version : Sharps containers

Belle102498
04-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Hi everyone! I rented points for our October stay, and forgot to request a sharps container for my injectable meds. How can I get one when I get there? Do I ask the front desk at check-in, or do I call Mousekeeping when we get into the room, or is there some other place I am unaware of? It's been a few years since we went to the World, and this is just one thing I forgot how I previously handled :) Thanks so much for the help!

M5ward
04-13-2012, 10:08 PM
I think I read somewhere that you call housekeeping and they will provide a sharps container.

LockShockBarrel
04-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Yep, you can call mousekeeping and they will bring you one. There's a lot of people that will use empty water or soda bottles too.

SueM in MN
04-14-2012, 07:53 AM
As the others posted, just request one from Mousekeeping once you get there.

Even though people do use soda or water bottles, those are not safe alternatives. If the needle safety device fails and the shapes exposed, it will slice thru soda or water bottle material very easily. If you use a bottle of ny kind, it needs to be this plastic - the kind found in laundry detergent bottles ( and then well marked and securely taped shut).

So, much better justo request one.

BearcatsFan
04-14-2012, 10:19 AM
We called the front desk last year and had one in under 2 minutes. We were also told they would dispose of container/contents when we left and to just leave it in the room when we checked out.

HTH and enjoy your trip :goodvibes

PatsMom
04-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I have had mixed results getting sharps containers - although it seems to be better lately. I call housekeeping from the room and they hopefully drop it off.

My sharps are pen needles and capped lancets so not much chance of a "stick" through a soda bottle but I try to play it safe. If I use my own container it is a heavy plastic as Sue mentioned - not a Dasani water bottle. At home I use a laundry detergent bottle. Vitamin Water bottles tend to be pretty heavy.

utterrandomness
04-14-2012, 11:53 AM
It is extremely important to use a real sharps container for the safety of the people handling it. You are not the only person dealing with the container and everyone has the right to be safe.

Tinker Bell Fan
04-17-2012, 01:10 PM
We never thought about using a laundry bottle! Thanks for the idea!

At home (and at Disney) we use a coffee can (the plastic one like from Folgers). Once it's full we tape it up and mark "sharps" or "medical" on it. DH also will break off the needle (or bend it) before putting the cap back on. This trick helps when we've used a water bottle.

We usually drive to Disney so we take the can with us. Next year though when we go on our cruise to Alaska...we'll have to check with the cruise line to see what to do. :cutie:

utterrandomness
04-17-2012, 01:15 PM
I am really uncomfortable with the idea of people using makeshift sharps containers. It is unsafe for the people handling them, who may be unaware that they are handling biological material. Sharps containers are designed specifically to ensure the safety of ALL people handling the container, not just the person using the needles. Even labelled, a re-purposed container poses risks.

Belle102498
04-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all the info! I usually clip the needle with needle clippers, but since we're flying I don't know if I would be allowed the clipper on the plane. So a Sharps container is what I was thinking of using! :cool1:

Tinker Bell Fan
04-17-2012, 01:28 PM
I am really uncomfortable with the idea of people using makeshift sharps containers. It is unsafe for the people handling them, who may be unaware that they are handling biological material. Sharps containers are designed specifically to ensure the safety of ALL people handling the container, not just the person using the needles. Even labelled, a re-purposed container poses risks.

We asked our county and the facility where DH goes for blood work about disposing of the needles and this is what they both suggested. They made sure to tell us to clearly mark the container, break/bend the needles, and to tape the container to make sure the lid couldn't come off; which we do. We probably go overboard in taping it - but at least we know it won't come off accidently. And they told us to use something like hard plastic or an actual can. They did not suggest water bottles or even milk containers.

I understand your concern, we were concerned too, so we asked.

buffettgirl
04-17-2012, 01:38 PM
we've also used just soda or water bottles but we are clear to put a big note next to the bottle - or taped on if we have tape - that housekeeping does NOT need to touch or move the bottle to clean. If a soda or water bottle is our only available option that's better than tossing stuff in the garbage, so that's what we do. it's not ideal but better than nothing. We do also put it in our suitcase to take home and we deal with it then. So we're the only one handling it.

If you have actual syringes, there are things like this that can snip off the end of the syringe:
http://www.amazon.com/Bd-Needle-Clipping-Device-Packages/dp/B001IKKHYA

and there are also items where you slip the top of the syringe in and it actually clips the needle and crushes the syringe.

There are other options depending on what sort of item you have for injecting.

also, depending on your state, it's completely ok to use an alternate container like a laundry container. That's what we do at home. It's also ok to label it as such and toss it in the garbage when full.

utterrandomness
04-17-2012, 01:53 PM
I don't care what the law says, safety says use a proper container.

buffettgirl
04-17-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't care what the law says, safety says use a proper container.

Safety also says don't leave a sharps lying around if no proper container can be found. And a proper container can be many things. At the moment if there is no official sharps container then we use what we can and then we dispose of it properly at home where we follow all regulations for our location.

utterrandomness
04-17-2012, 06:26 PM
It's somewhat okay in an emergency, but I really don't think it's a solution for everyday or something that should be part of a plan. A sharps container should always be the first, best choice.

buffettgirl
04-17-2012, 06:45 PM
I don't think anyone suggested it as the first line of defense or indicated that it's what they do at home (use a water bottle etc) but using a giant laundry bottle is generally an accepted practice and is pretty much as safe as any other method, especially when the sharps are then being delivered to a drop off facility as is now common in lots of places. :)

But back on topic - there are plenty of us who have requested sharps containers from housekeeping and plenty of us who never get them, so we have to do something. To me that is being responsible.

utterrandomness
04-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Perhaps you should plan to bring a small sharps container with you just in case.

Chickenlady
04-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Perhaps you should plan to bring a small sharps container with you just in case.

You must sell sharps containers.;)

I never get a sharps container, although I've seen my niece request and receive one from housekeeping. Since I use an insulin pump, I don't have tons of sharps. I always just recap and stick my used syringes and lancets in a bag with my unused sharps. No trouble mixing them up, then I dispose of them at home....in a labeled laundry detergent bottle, as described in the pamphlets from my endocrinologist's office.

buffettgirl
04-18-2012, 07:28 AM

If I'm the only one handling the thing - what the heck difference does it make? I have been known to lick the blood that I poke off my son's finger and I could find you probably 200 more people with diabetes or their parents who do the same thing. A stick from a needle is not worrisome to me. So having a proper sharps container really isn't high on my priority list. Indicating that housekeeping doesn't need to touch is a big thing for us. Disposing of them properly at home is. I'm also not disposing of actual syringes either and when we did we always clipped and crushed first.

PatsMom
04-19-2012, 11:04 AM
It's somewhat okay in an emergency, but I really don't think it's a solution for everyday or something that should be part of a plan. A sharps container should always be the first, best choice.

The only time I've ever used a sharps container is when Disney delivered one to my room. At home, as advised by my endo, my diabetes educator and my pharmacist, I have always used a heavy duty laundry bottle or plastic coffee can. Or a heavy duty beverage bottle such as the Smart Water containers. In the house I stay in when I am in the southern part of the state, my mother takes my used sharps to a hospital disposal facility when she does her volunteer days. The hospital near my northern home has no such service available. Duct tape, label clearly, and put it in the trash at the dump. My labelling clearly indicates it is medical waste, sharps, and the container is not for recycling.

And we are not talking about vast quantities of sharps - my laundry bottle lasts me about two years!

I know very few people who use a sharps container at home. Diabetes is expensive enough with adding to the cost with items that are not necessary legally or for safety.

Tinker Bell Fan
04-20-2012, 07:52 AM
JMHO - me thinks utterrandomness is trying to start something. :coffee:

utterrandomness
04-20-2012, 08:32 AM
Yes, I would like people to start thinking about safety. Sharps containers exist for a reason. But it is you that is starting something, in reviving a thread that no one has posted on in days simply in order to attack me, so I shall respond. Phrases like "in my humble opinion" or "just my humble opinion" are anything but humble and are only inflammatory. Perhaps I am sensitive to the issue because I am very educated regarding a little something called harm reduction. Biological materials can transmit all kinds of things, there is no way to tell what a person used the needle for or what might be on it, and the fact is that people handling containers do not always have time to read labels carefully, so it is important to have a designated, easily recognizable container that is designed with safety in mind.

cm8
04-21-2012, 07:04 AM
It is extremely important to use a real sharps container for the safety of the people handling it. You are not the only person dealing with the container and everyone has the right to be safe.

]I don't care what the law says, safety says use a proper container[/B].

I don't think anyone suggested it as the first line of defense or indicated that it's what they do at home (use a water bottle etc) but using a giant laundry bottle is generally an accepted practice and is pretty much as safe as any other method, especially when the sharps are then being delivered to a drop off facility as is now common in lots of places. :) Agreed!!! This is what we tell our patients to use :rolleyes1

But back on topic - there are plenty of us who have requested sharps containers from housekeeping and plenty of us who never get them, so we have to do something. To me that is being responsible.
Thanks!:yay:

I think we understand clearly what you are stating. Sharps containers are the best way to properly dispose of sharps,;)
You must sell sharps containers.;)

I started to think the same thing ::yes::

JMHO - me thinks utterrandomness is trying to start something. :coffee:

Yes, I would like people to start thinking about safety. Sharps containers exist for a reason. But it is you that is starting something, in reviving a thread that no one has posted on in days simply in order to attack me, so I shall respond. Phrases like "in my humble opinion" or "just my humble opinion" are anything but humble and are only inflammatory. Perhaps I am sensitive to the issue because I am very educated regarding a little something called harm reduction. Biological materials can transmit all kinds of things, there is no way to tell what a person used the needle for or what might be on it, and the fact is that people handling containers do not always have time to read labels carefully, so it is important to have a designated, easily recognizable container that is designed with safety in mind.

I am sure that people who have a need for disposing their used medical equipment have been properly trained and educated on the correct way to dispose of bio-hazard waste:teacher: I think we all understand the need to keep others safe:ssst:

Belle102498
04-21-2012, 07:31 AM
When I started this thread I only wanted to know who to contact to get a Sharps container. I had NO IDEA that this would become controversial!

When I was trained (12 years ago) , I also was told to use a laundry detergent bottle...to wrap the lid in duct tape, and then just throw the bottle away. Since then, I have started using Sharps containers because they became available through my Specialty pharmacy. But that is becoming obsolete because now the maker of my meds are giving out needle clippers...You just "clip" the needle off, and throw the syringe part away. There is no longer a need for a laundry bottle or a sharps container.

I guess what I'm saying is that things change and maybe not everyone is aware of the changes. It doesn't make what they do "bad"... It just means they do what they were trained to do...and that training may have been before a change in protocol that others now practice.

Thanks for the information though...ALL the info is very helpful! :banana:

SueM in MN
04-21-2012, 12:43 PM
I am closing this thread because the question has been answered.

As far as 'non-traditional' sharps containers, using a heavy duty empty container, like a liquid laundry soap container, is one of the recommended ways to dispose of sharps. This recommendation in many states comes from the department in charge of hazardous waste.
There are other ways to dispose that are safer and more highly recommended, but it is legal to dispose of sharps in a heavy plastic contain, clearly marked as hardous waste and securely taped shut.
Thin plastic containers, like water bottles are unsafe and not legal.

This resource, from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency is very complete and is used as a reference or model by many other states.
http://www.pca.state.mn.us/index.php/living-green/living-green-citizen/household-hazardous-waste/safe-disposal-options-for-needles-and-syringes.html