PDA

View Full Version : do they fill up concierge with upgraded guests?

disneyholic family
04-13-2012, 09:50 AM
our 4 night Disney Dream cruise isn't all that far from final payment date and the concierge is about 80% empty....most of the cabins are still unsold..

do they fill concierge up with upgraded passengers?

mmouse37
04-13-2012, 09:52 AM
our 4 night Disney Dream cruise isn't all that far from final payment date and the concierge is about 80% empty....most of the cabins are still unsold..

do they fill concierge up with upgraded passengers?

Not usually, to my knowledge. I think upgrades from regular cabins to concierge is rare (I am sure it has happened but not the norm). they could make more money by offering them as paid upgrades at the port rather than upgrading exisiting passengers to concierge.

MJ

disneyholic family
04-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Not usually, to my knowledge. I think upgrades from regular cabins to concierge is rare (I am sure it has happened but not the norm). they could make more money by offering them as paid upgrades at the port rather than upgrading exisiting passengers to concierge.

MJ

are the port upgrades at a discount?
is there a standard discount for port upgrades?

kcashner
04-13-2012, 10:11 AM
I agree with MJ on this. Upgrades (free) from a standard cabin to concierge are VERY rare. However, concierge cabins are sold at a discount at the terminal if they have not otherwise filled.

There is a formula that DCL uses to establish the cost of an upgrade at the terminal, but no one knows what it is. The best way to estimate what an upgrade would cost is to look at the CURRENT cost of the cabin you booked and the CURRENT cost of the cabin you want to go to. The cost of the upgrade will be about 1/3 - 1/2 of the difference (looking for 2 guests). In concierge, the cost of the port upgrade will typically be less than 1/2 the difference--more like 1/3.

Example--cat 11 at $2000 wants to go to cat 5 at $4000. Difference is $2000. Upgrade at port is likely to be $700-1000.

crbruce_us
04-13-2012, 12:28 PM
I know someone who was upgraded from a family verandah to concierge on the Dream in March 2011. She had no idea that it was such as great upgrade!

disneyholic family
04-13-2012, 01:54 PM
i'll have to keep the knowledge to myself.

It drives my mother insane when they pack business class on airplanes with upgrades. Here she's paid a very premium price for her seat and she's sharing the (not so great) service with all the upgrades around her.

It will annoy her no end to know the same is true in concierge on the Dream (especially given how very much we're paying for the privilege).

But based on what i'm seeing, there will be very few full fare guests on our cruise.

kcashner
04-13-2012, 02:00 PM
It will annoy her no end to know the same is true in concierge on the Dream (especially given how very much we're paying for the privilege).

But based on what i'm seeing, there will be very few full fare guests on our cruise.

Huh? The point is that very few people get a free upgrade to concierge. If paying guests take the space, great. If not, DCL will try to get more profit from the cruise by SELLING these cabins at the port.

I can't even begin to define what "full fare" is on a DCL cruise. The "game" is to get the best price you can for what you want. In my case, that always includes a 10% discount for rebooking while on board--guess that makes me not full fare. But why would I want to give DCL more money that I need to?

From DCL's perspective, an empty cabin is a loss. They will fill every cabin they can. If that means offering restricted fares, CM rates, TA rates or whatever, they will still make money off those cabins. Even if they sell a CM rate at "break even" point, it is likely that the individuals in that cabin will purchase a beverage, a t-shirt, or something else that results in a profit.

crbruce_us
04-13-2012, 03:16 PM
i'll have to keep the knowledge to myself.

It drives my mother insane when they pack business class on airplanes with upgrades. Here she's paid a very premium price for her seat and she's sharing the (not so great) service with all the upgrades around her.

There will probably be people in concierge that paid less than you and they paid the full concierge rate at the time they booked.

I'm sure my co-worker paid a lot of money for her original verandah room. There were 4 in the room and she likes to be up on deck 9 or 10 in the big family verandah room (4A). She also didn't book with a discount or really early to get a great price. She may have paid the same price for the "free" upgrade as someone who booked concierge very early. One thing I don't like about DCL is that the price is constantly going up, up, up. My cruise for next spring break has already increased $1000 in just 4 months. It's very annoying. I got a good price, but now I feel I can't change the date because the other cruise I want is $1500 more! :mad:

disneyholic family
04-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Huh? The point is that very few people get a free upgrade to concierge. If paying guests take the space, great. If not, DCL will try to get more profit from the cruise by SELLING these cabins at the port.

I can't even begin to define what "full fare" is on a DCL cruise. The "game" is to get the best price you can for what you want. In my case, that always includes a 10% discount for rebooking while on board--guess that makes me not full fare. But why would I want to give DCL more money that I need to?

From DCL's perspective, an empty cabin is a loss. They will fill every cabin they can. If that means offering restricted fares, CM rates, TA rates or whatever, they will still make money off those cabins. Even if they sell a CM rate at "break even" point, it is likely that the individuals in that cabin will purchase a beverage, a t-shirt, or something else that results in a profit.

it's my understanding that the 10% onboard discount doesn't apply to concierge, but if someone books with an onboard discount more power to them.

a previous poster responded that at the port DCL probably sells concierge for 1/3 of the rack rate....
for our example, let's assume the difference in concierge verandah and the regular verandah is $2,700....so the person would pay just $900 for the upgrade..
so their concierge veranda would be $2,900 rather than $4,700...

of course that's always the case....you pay a premium to be assured of something you very much want.....
i will only cruise in concierge and i prefer a particular cabin so for that i have to pay full fare.....i'm not willing to take a chance that the same cabin will be available at the port...
although based on what i'm seeing, there will be at least 10 one bedroom suites available at the port, and possibly even a royal suite, and all but two of the concierge verandahs are still available...

There will probably be people in concierge that paid less than you and they paid the full concierge rate at the time they booked.

I'm sure my co-worker paid a lot of money for her original verandah room. There were 4 in the room and she likes to be up on deck 9 or 10 in the big family verandah room (4A). She also didn't book with a discount or really early to get a great price. She may have paid the same price for the "free" upgrade as someone who booked concierge very early. One thing I don't like about DCL is that the price is constantly going up, up, up. My cruise for next spring break has already increased $1000 in just 4 months. It's very annoying. I got a good price, but now I feel I can't change the date because the other cruise I want is $1500 more! :mad:

i suspect DCL will begin to be more like other cruise lines - prices dropping towards the end.....
except for super peak season, i think they're starting to have some difficulty filling up the Fantasy and the Dream.
Those are two very big ships, both out of port canaveral.
That's a lot of rooms to sell week in and week out, at very high disney prices.
i bet they start dropping those prices as the cruises come closer.
they may start out by offering super discounts to specific groups (florida residents, DVC, etc), but eventually they'll have to heavily discount to fill those ships.

kcashner
04-13-2012, 03:50 PM
i suspect DCL will begin to be more like other cruise lines - prices dropping towards the end.....
except for super peak season, i think they're starting to have some difficulty filling up the Fantasy and the Dream.
Those are two very big ships, both out of port canaveral.
That's a lot of rooms to sell week in and week out, at very high disney prices.
i bet they start dropping those prices as the cruises come closer.
they may start out by offering super discounts to specific groups (florida residents, DVC, etc), but eventually they'll have to heavily discount to fill those ships.

They already are! These are the IGT/OGT/VGT rates that are available on MOST cruises in May and June! This is interesting because in December we were told that the Fantasy was 80% booked for the first season and the Dream was doing "very well."

disneyholic family
04-13-2012, 04:03 PM
They already are! These are the IGT/OGT/VGT rates that are available on MOST cruises in May and June! This is interesting because in December we were told that the Fantasy was 80% booked for the first season and the Dream was doing "very well."

too bad i can't go for those....but i'll only do concierge, so i guess i'm stuck with full fare....

although i did see a price drop even in the concierge rates...not for the suites, but for the concierge verandah....
on my cruise the price for the concierge verandah suite dropped by $400 a few weeks ago....i was very surprised when i saw it...
the one bedrooms didn't drop though....i've been watching, since that's what we have reserved..

WinstonC
04-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Free upgrades would fill concierge with steerage rats/brats - not something that those of us in the suites would enjoy.

kcashner
04-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Free upgrades would fill concierge with steerage rats/brats - not something that those of us in the suites would enjoy.

Thank you for your opinion of those of us who choose to not pay DCL's prices for a concierge suite! The individual who sexually assaulted my daughter while on DCL was staying in a concierge suite. Who was the rat?

Toria
04-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Thank you for your opinion of those of us who choose to not pay DCL's prices for a concierge suite! The individual who sexually assaulted my daughter while on DCL was staying in a concierge suite. Who was the rat?

What the heck! Sorry your child had to go through that. They are everywhere.

BradyBones
04-13-2012, 10:37 PM

Wow. Cash != Class. That's a horrible thing to say and I honestly don't believe it echoes the sentiments of Disney in the slightest.

justmestace
04-13-2012, 11:30 PM
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v444/justmestace/troll-web.jpg

justmestace
04-13-2012, 11:34 PM
To try to help answer the question:

IF they need more of the lower category staterooms (people on waiting list) they will start to randomly move people from lower category staterooms into higher ones.

If they get to the point where they still need lower category rooms, they will eventually move people from perhaps a Cat 4, up into Concierge.

BUT....if the ship isn't full, they will start making phone calls to see if anyone (beginning with the higher Cat 4's) wants to PAY to upgrade to concierge.

If they still don't sell out concierge, then there will be rooms available at the port to upgrade to.

PCH
04-13-2012, 11:35 PM

I have to think this poster was being sarcastic??

MelissaE1
04-13-2012, 11:59 PM

I hope that was a joke.

Bear3412
04-14-2012, 12:15 AM

I'm going to have to agree with PCH on this one. Winston responded
sarcastically to df's post. I will support Winston and PCH given the context it referred to. :goodvibes

I find it amusing. I hope we can all just stick with facts, not get personal, and respond to OP without to much opinion and judgement.:goodvibes

:thumbsup2

mytripsandraces
04-14-2012, 12:22 AM
On a related note, would DCL upgrade the concierge CAT Vs to suites to open up the lower-priced veranda rooms?

Bear3412
04-14-2012, 01:07 AM
IMHO no one gets free upgrades to concierge level, or from Cat V to Cat T, unless you pay prior to port. Or at port, if available. DCL will be happy to take your $.

On my Fantasy in Oct there is one cat V left. I have always read suites sell out. I have never followed it till recently. It's odd, the least and most expensive sell out first.

I can understand where "dis fam" is coming from concerning port upgrades @ port. You pay full price, then folks upgrade at port, for probably thousands less than you paid, then you feel ripped off. Personally I wouldn't, unless someone who did a port upgrade perpetually talked about it out loud on my sailing. My suggestion to those that do receive an upgrade at port; keep it a secret from your fellow passengers.:idea:

At some point if port upgrades in any cat. become abundant, they will, devalue the product and degrade the pricing structure, especially with all this social media now a days. Folks will stop paying full price and wait for VGT or port upgrades.

I'm ecstatic I don't have to sell 5000 cabins a week. If I did, I'm sure I would follow DCL strategy.

I learned from these boards, book what you are comfortable with, knowing you will not be upgraded. Yet always have hope.

Happy Cruising :goodvibes

disneyholic family
04-14-2012, 02:06 AM
On a related note, would DCL upgrade the concierge CAT Vs to suites to open up the lower-priced veranda rooms?

ask when you get to the port - if there's a T available, you'll possibly be able to upgrade for a much reduced price..
It doesn't hurt to ask. :goodvibes

disneyholic family
04-14-2012, 02:10 AM
IMHO no one gets free upgrades to concierge level, or from Cat V to Cat T, unless you pay prior to port. Or at port, if available. DCL will be happy to take your $.

On my Fantasy in Oct there is one cat V left. I have always read suites sell out. I have never followed it till recently. It's odd, the least and most expensive sell out first.

I can understand where "dis fam" is coming from concerning port upgrades @ port. You pay full price, then folks upgrade at port, for probably thousands less than you paid, then you feel ripped off. Personally I wouldn't, unless someone who did a port upgrade perpetually talked about it out loud on my sailing. My suggestion to those that do receive an upgrade at port; keep it a secret from your fellow passengers.:idea:

At some point if port upgrades in any cat. become abundant, they will, devalue the product and degrade the pricing structure, especially with all this social media now a days. Folks will stop paying full price and wait for VGT or port upgrades.

I'm ecstatic I don't have to sell 5000 cabins a week. If I did, I'm sure I would follow DCL strategy.

I learned from these boards, book what you are comfortable with, knowing you will not be upgraded. Yet always have hope.

Happy Cruising :goodvibes

it won't bother me so much since i know i'm going to use the advance services. But it will drive my mother insane to know they've filled it up.
As i said, it happens to her on delta all the time. She flies all over the world (she's diamond FF).
She checks the day before and sees business class is completely empty, then on the flight it's packed....every seat. When she asks the others, they tell her they were upgraded for free.
And then the service is atrocious and the seats are cramped and filled with non-payers. And the difference in fare is more than triple ($4500 vs $1000 for economy on her last delta flight).
It drives her so mad in fact, that on her last international flight she jumped ship and went with a different airline (that agreed to match her delta frequent flyer status).
She went with an airline that has completely separate suites, so that if the class is packed, you don't care. There's no one rubbing shoulders with you.

Anyway, it will most definitely bug her if she finds out. Hopefully she won't.

justmestace
04-14-2012, 02:24 AM
A. To Beth.....I can't imagine how your Mom would know whether the other passengers in concierge paid or got upgraded for free, unless she asked, and personally, I think asking someone that is gauche.
For 9 of my 11 or 12 Disney cruises, I've been in concierge, and I would have been appalled if someone had asked me if I'd paid full price or upgraded. :sad2:
Also....the airlines will sell First Class, or Business Class seats that are still open on flight day to anyone who wants to pay. On USAirways, I think it's only $100 to upgrade on the day of travel. I don't understand anyone who thinks they purchased the right to sit in First Class alone.....and I've been in First Class when a few passengers purchased upgrades at the airport, and never noticed the level of service drop. If that happened to your Mom, on more than one occasion, then she should get names of the flight attendants and complain.

B. I can say without a doubt, 100%....YES.....they DO have "free" upgrades to concierge. It may not happen very often, because those rooms do usually sell early.....but it HAS happened. It's happened to us twice....our first two DCL cruises.

Tossing in a side note that is totally irrelevant....DCL would have to pay ME to cruise concierge on the newer ships. I HATE the way they've changed the suites, and the outdoor concierge area is a joke, compared to what at least one other cruise line (NCL) offers.

disneyholic family
04-14-2012, 02:30 AM
A. To Beth.....I can't imagine how your Mom would know whether the other passengers in concierge paid or got upgraded for free, unless she asked, and personally, I think asking someone that is gauche.
For 9 of my 11 or 12 Disney cruises, I've been in concierge, and I would have been appalled if someone had asked me if I'd paid full price or upgraded. :sad2:
Also....the airlines will sell First Class, or Business Class seats that are still open on flight day to anyone who wants to pay. On USAirways, I think it's only $100 to upgrade on the day of travel. I don't understand anyone who thinks they purchased the right to sit in First Class alone.....and I've been in First Class when a few passengers purchased upgrades at the airport, and never noticed the level of service drop. If that happened to your Mom, on more than one occasion, then she should get names of the flight attendants and complain.

B. I can say without a doubt, 100%....YES.....they DO have "free" upgrades to concierge. It may not happen very often, because those rooms do usually sell early.....but it HAS happened. It's happened to us twice....our first two DCL cruises.

Tossing in a side note that is totally irrelevant....DCL would have to pay ME to cruise concierge on the newer ships. I HATE the way they've changed the suites, and the outdoor concierge area is a joke, compared to what at least one other cruise line (NCL) offers.

she would never ask on the cruise (on a flight is a different story - asking if someone has been upgraded for free is a standard question).
However, some people make a VERY big deal about the fact that they didn't have to pay for whatever it is they're getting.
Have you never seen anyone do that? i certainly have.

as for flying - i am NOT talking about domestic US travel.

Have you ever flown international? Delta and most of the US airlines don't have first class on international flights. Only business. And rest assured they do not upgrade for $100. You just raised my blood pressure by about 2,000.
I clearly said INTERNATIONAL flights.
I am talking about a business class seat that costs $4,500 vs an economy seat that costs $1,000. And YES Delta claims that they do not upgrade.
On domestic flights they of course upgrade. My mom, who is delta diamond is always upgraded domestically. She's never had to pay first class for the past who knows how many years. But internationally, they do not upgrade their FF to business (there is NO FIRST CLASS internationally on delta).
But then they upgrade regular economy passengers filling every seat.

Bear3412
04-14-2012, 02:45 AM
Please, easy folks. Let's get back on topic, without the ........ :goodvibes

justmestace
04-14-2012, 03:00 AM
Sorry Beth....I didn't mean to get you worked up. I saw that you said International.....
But I still can't see asking someone if or what they paid. Anywhere. I've seen supposedly "poor" people behave MUCH better than those who have money. Sadly, money doesn't buy class.

I don't care how much someone paid for anything.....it doesn't impress me, it doesn't bother me, it doesn't make me jealous.....everyone deserves to be treated with respect, regardless.

Mentioning the cost of upgrade on USAirways domestic was just a side note. No harm meant.

justmestace
04-14-2012, 03:05 AM
I see no difference with the airlines than what the cruise lines do. If the ship/plane isn't full, and they have people still willing to pay at least the minimum amount, money is money to the ships/planes. They'll move up the people who paid first, and add in the newcomers, therefore, making the most money they can.
They're all in business to make money. I just don't see why that's upsetting or a problem.
The easiest way to make it NOT be a problem would be to not PAY for Business Class, First Class, or Concierge. Then you wouldn't have to worry about who's getting what for "free". :confused3

disneyholic family
04-14-2012, 03:26 AM
Sorry Beth....I didn't mean to get you worked up. I saw that you said International.....
But I still can't see asking someone if or what they paid. Anywhere. I've seen supposedly "poor" people behave MUCH better than those who have money. Sadly, money doesn't buy class.

I don't care how much someone paid for anything.....it doesn't impress me, it doesn't bother me, it doesn't make me jealous.....everyone deserves to be treated with respect, regardless.

Mentioning the cost of upgrade on USAirways domestic was just a side note. No harm meant.

the moral of the story is to never fly delta - the worst airline on the planet...

disneyholic family
04-14-2012, 03:28 AM
I see no difference with the airlines than what the cruise lines do. If the ship/plane isn't full, and they have people still willing to pay at least the minimum amount, money is money to the ships/planes. They'll move up the people who paid first, and add in the newcomers, therefore, making the most money they can.
They're all in business to make money. I just don't see why that's upsetting or a problem.
The easiest way to make it NOT be a problem would be to not PAY for Business Class, First Class, or Concierge. Then you wouldn't have to worry about who's getting what for "free". :confused3

and the moral of this story is to sail silversea/seaborn rather than DCL.
unfortunately, DCL is all that's available out of PC for 4 days

kimb96
04-14-2012, 08:16 AM
it won't bother me so much since i know i'm going to use the advance services. But it will drive my mother insane to know they've filled it up.
As i said, it happens to her on delta all the time. She flies all over the world (she's diamond FF).
She checks the day before and sees business class is completely empty, then on the flight it's packed....every seat. When she asks the others, they tell her they were upgraded for free.
And then the service is atrocious and the seats are cramped and filled with non-payers. And the difference in fare is more than triple ($4500 vs $1000 for economy on her last delta flight).
It drives her so mad in fact, that on her last international flight she jumped ship and went with a different airline (that agreed to match her delta frequent flyer status).
She went with an airline that has completely separate suites, so that if the class is packed, you don't care. There's no one rubbing shoulders with you.

Anyway, it will most definitely bug her if she finds out. Hopefully she won't.

I too am diamond on delta and my flights to and from bangkok thailand have almost always been full. I would never think to ask someone if they paid the full fare or got upgraded for free. Alot of flights I use miles to upgrade to business class. I've never had bad service on an international delta flight due to business class being full. Some crew are better than others.

SnackyStacky
04-14-2012, 08:50 AM

We have an onboard booking for the Fantasy on August 11 of this year. The booking was made in 2009 and we kept pushing it, waiting for a summer, 7-night Caribbean sailing. I moved it to August 11 the day Fantasy bookings opened for the general public.

I watched the occupancy levels every now and again by checking availability.

In the fall/winter last year, there was almost NOTHING available for a family of 4. Only some 4As and 4Bs.

Over the past couple of months, EVERYTHING has been available. There are even inside and oceanview staterooms available. Every subcategory in the verandah offerings is available. Main dining also has availability. For a family of 4. Checking for a family of 3, the ship is WIDE open.

I really think they're pricing themselves out of the market. Whether or not they'll lower the base rates or offer more and more discounts, I have no idea. But they need to do something. It's just too expensive. I don't know anybody that will drop $9500 for a family of 4 to sail for 7 nights in a plain, old vernadah room.

Tigger&Bubba
04-14-2012, 09:10 AM

TROLL? As long as we are categorizing. Too weird.

TinksDH
04-14-2012, 09:30 AM
I see no problem with upgrading at port for concierge and paying less than someone who booked concierge from the get go. When you booked concierge, you are not only paying for the room, but the guarantee that you GET that level of room. If you MUST have concierge, then that is the only way to do it, and it comes with a price. For those who think they will beat the system by booking a lower rate cabin and then getting an upgrade at port, that is a very poor strategy if you MUST have concierge! You can't just compare the rates that you paid, but the guarantee to sail in the cabin class you want to. Plus, when you book concierge from the get go, you also get the land concierge part of it to help you with your arrangements, in addition to the advance booking advantages for onboard services.

In the long run, buy allowing these port upgrades and permitting DCL to get every incremental dollar they can on each sailing, it ultimately keeps rates lower across the board. Every unsold cabin costs them money, which ultimately all cruisers will bear.

postalchick71
04-14-2012, 09:33 AM
I too am diamond on delta and my flights to and from bangkok thailand have almost always been full. I would never think to ask someone if they paid the full fare or got upgraded for free. Alot of flights I use miles to upgrade to business class. I've never had bad service on an international delta flight due to business class being full. Some crew are better than others.

A co-worker works at Delta part time. She flies to Thailand business class and only pays the taxes on the ticket price. I asked her if anyone ever asked if she paid full price or not she laughed. And asked me was I serious. I would not think to ask someone if they upgraded for free.

Tonka's Skipper
04-14-2012, 09:55 AM
and the moral of this story is to sail silversea/seaborn rather than DCL.
unfortunately, DCL is all that's available out of PC for 4 days

I totally agree Beth, if this upgrade issue bothers you and/or your Mom, then sail on lines that dont do it or you consider upscale lines.

This is the main reason I feel DCL should discontinue conciege cabins..it creats the feeling of a upper and lower class guest...especailly those *Titanic gates* the dream had for awhile!

You want a specail cabin.......go ahead and pay for the better cabin, otherwise the entire public areas of the ship is for everyone!:thumbsup2

AKK

MissSlimskys
04-14-2012, 10:10 AM
If this makes you feel better about paying "full fare" for concierge, consider that people who upgrade at the port don't have the chance to use shoreside concierge to book all their services BEFORE everyone else. Getting Palo, Flounder's Reef, spa, etc. services at exactly the times I want is a HUGE plus and one of the reasons I pay "full fare" for DCL concierge.

As for the quality of guests in concierge, I have only sailed concierge on DCL and have only encountered the nicest people and the best service possible. I don't know if they paid full fare or were port upgrades because I would never think of asking such a question but I wouldn't worry about service levels declining or you having to rub elbows with "free loaders." It's never happened to me.

And just to second: I've been flying first class for 20 years (AA platinum) and I've *never* been asked by a fellow passenger if I paid full fare. Perhaps the passengers on American Airlines are more discrete and tactful on Delta. But then again, I flew Delta first class just last week and no one asked me there either...

I tend to agree with those who are recommending Silverseas or Seabourne for your mother.

goofymama
04-14-2012, 11:18 AM
the moral of the story is to never fly delta - the worst airline on the planet...

Wow! You don't think ALL of the airlines do this? You don't think the one's that they are upgrading to business class on international flights are FF's? Of course they are! If your mom enjoy's free upgrades on domestic, how can she be upset that some people enjoy free upgrades on international?

Airlines, cruises, hotels or whatever the carrier .... They lose money on every seat that remains empty and cannot ever get it back. They are all for profit businesses that need to do whatever they can to fill seats/beds. Personally, as long as I am on the plane/ship in a seat that I'm happy with at the price I was willing to pay, why do I care what those around me paid.

But if it makes your mom feel any better, as a previous poster said, free upgrades to concierge are very, very rare.

mdvlprof
04-14-2012, 11:59 AM
too bad i can't go for those....but i'll only do concierge, so i guess i'm stuck with full fare......

I'm still trying to get my head around the 'only do concierge'.

I'd rather spend the money on multiple cruises rather than a pricey room. Won't say no to free upgrade :goodvibes but HC cabins are even more scarce.

Evi
04-14-2012, 01:05 PM
I must say to anyone who is playing up the idea that they do not want to mix or have to share an area with the rest of the passengers onboard. Perhaps you are overestimating your personal wealth. I guess you spend your entire cruise holed up in your cabin and the concierge lounge. I mean why bother with a cabana go rent an island and then you won't have to worry about who's on the beach with you. Or purchase a large yacht with your own crew and you'll never have to worry about who got upgraded to what. I mean honestly if you can afford it you could rent out the park for a day and not have to rub elbows with the rest of us.

If I want to be pampered and spoiled Disney is not where I go. I go to Disney for fun and comfort concierge in Disney is a far cry from true luxury.

Wow some people have really skewed perspectives.

PCH
04-14-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your mother's "issues". I'm sure there's help for that.

I can tell you that if any fellow passenger on an international business class flight asked me if I paid full fare or was upgraded, I would be really pissed and tell them to mind their own business. But I can't imagine anyone asking me this question as people in business class pretty much seem to keep to themselves.

I consider myself pretty frugal with my money, usually, but here's how Disney got me to spend more money on my criuises.

Disney has a business reason for upgrading passengers at the port for a discounted price. It allows people like me to experience a higher category stateroom than we would normally book. Then, once you are hooked, you continue to book the higher category stateroom.

Although we have not cruised with DCL for the past 3 years (I wanted to teach my kids that a real vacation doesn't always = Disney Cruise), my daughter had been on 14 Disney cruises between the ages of 3 and 8. But after several land-based vacations, they missed their Disney cruise so we are now booked on a September sailing on the Fantasy this year.

Our 1st one was in an ocean view stateroom and we found ourselves looking out the window only to check the weather in the morning. But we get weather information on the TV and the Navigator so we booked an inside stateroom for the 2nd. We found the inside room very cozy, and Disney cruise experience just the same.

On our 3rd, we paid the discounted price at the port to upgrade to a concierge suite. The CM at the check-in counter recommended the upgrade but warned that once we try it, it will be hard not to book it again on future cruises. Well, he was right, and we were hooked

So, for the next 9 cruises, including this September, I have paid DCL an average of approx. $6,000 more per cruise than had they not offered that "teaser" upgrade at the port. That's $54,000 more in revenue for DCL.

The discounted port upgrades have the double effect of advertising their higher category stateroom for people willing to pay for the difference on future cruises, and a "good will" for people who are not. Its not necessarily so the discounted-fare-paying passengers can rub elbows with the full fare passengers.

Raspberry Beret
04-14-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your mother's "issues". I'm sure there's help for that.

I can tell you that if any fellow passenger on an international business class flight asked me if I paid full fare or was upgraded, I would be really pissed and tell them to mind their own business. But I can't imagine anyone asking me this question as people in business class pretty much seem to keep to themselves.

I agree. Total lack of class to ask that of another passenger. :sad2:

NancyIL
04-15-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm still trying to get my head around the 'only do concierge'.

I'd rather spend the money on multiple cruises rather than a pricey room. Won't say no to free upgrade :goodvibes but HC cabins are even more scarce.

I usually book the "cheap seats" by choice, because I'd also rather travel more often. I don't EVER want to get so spoiled by staying in fancy hotel rooms or cruise ship cabins, or sitting in business/first class seats on a plane that I can't go back to more basic accommodations. People who think they are too good to rub shoulders with the hoi polloi make me sick!

**For the record, I'm flying on DELTA to Orlando in 2 days...because it was CHEAP! ;)

NancyIL
04-15-2012, 09:04 AM
I must say to anyone who is playing up the idea that they do not want to mix or have to share an area with the rest of the passengers onboard. Perhaps you are overestimating your personal wealth. I guess you spend your entire cruise holed up in your cabin and the concierge lounge. I mean why bother with a cabana go rent an island and then you won't have to worry about who's on the beach with you. Or purchase a large yacht with your own crew and you'll never have to worry about who got upgraded to what. I mean honestly if you can afford it you could rent out the park for a day and not have to rub elbows with the rest of us.

If I want to be pampered and spoiled Disney is not where I go. I go to Disney for fun and comfort concierge in Disney is a far cry from true luxury.

Wow some people have really skewed perspectives.

Well said! I am getting cranky in my old age, and I could imagine telling someone like that, in my best Dana Carvey/Church Lady voice, "Well aren't you special!" :rotfl2:

Tigger&Bubba
04-15-2012, 09:18 AM
I don't care what anyone else pays for anything. If I worried about what others pay or don't pay I probably wouldn't cruise at all. :confused3

What I think about is: Can MY family afford this cruise at the price it is currently being offered.
We have cruised inside cabins and concierge. Booking last minute has been a habit for us due to our ability/inability to get away at any given time. I can honestly say that concierge makes it easier to experience some activities on the ship and some excursions as well. That having been said, being in an inside stateroom we have had a great time. We still enjoy everything and everyone.

Your particular income, lifestyle, likes and dislikes are frankly none of my business. I only care how you behave towards me and my family and this has nothing to do with your stateroom number or what you paid.

Upgrades are not the norm and I am thrilled to hear when a family gets "pixie dusted." :wizard::love: