PDA

View Full Version : Ever wish you could change your home resort?

candielips
04-12-2012, 07:43 PM
We are new owners, less than a year, and own at SSR. After being owners for the past 9 months I find myself wishing everyday that we would have bought AKV.
We bought at SSR because of the THV and now that they have gone up the 2 bdrms at AKV are more in our price range.
Anyone ever heard of someone changing their home resort?

disneynutz
04-12-2012, 08:00 PM
One of our home resorts is BLT and honestly, we can live without it. IMO the dues there will continue to increase beyond the norm.

:earsboy: Bill

Deb & Bill
04-12-2012, 08:03 PM
We are new owners, less than a year, and own at SSR. After being owners for the past 9 months I find myself wishing everyday that we would have bought AKV.
We bought at SSR because of the THV and now that they have gone up the 2 bdrms at AKV are more in our price range.
Anyone ever heard of someone changing their home resort?

Hear about it all the time. Owner sells home resort and buys another. But you usually wind up paying more.

k3chantal
04-12-2012, 08:05 PM
I have never wanted to change my home resort(AKL) but I have wanted to purchase more points so that we would have two 'home' resorts. I like having the eleven month window. We have yet to do that.....maybe some day....

KAT4DISNEY
04-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Unfortunately the only way to change is to sell what you own and rebuy at your preferred resort.

However if you don't want to go through that expense and since AKV is a large resort you should have very good luck in booking at 7 months with the exception of concierge and value categories. I personally like the Standard category for room size and lower point cost. I'd recommend doing this until you consistently have problems booking AKV and if that happens and you feel a strong enough need then consider selling SSR and buying AKV.

bwvBound
04-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Surprisingly, we are 'OK' with our 2004 decision to purchase SSR. At the time, we made the purchase with great reluctance given our love for BWV ... but it has worked out just fine for our travel habits. We've been very fortunate with our reservations booked across the DVC Resort family at the 7-month window.

THV was an added surprise long after our purchase. We've booked THV twice since they opened and can't really say how much the new point values will change our future visits.

One thing I've come to accept: I can't and won't own at each DVC resort I enjoy. I must rely on 7-month reservations. Given that, SSR works very well.

twinklebug
04-12-2012, 11:49 PM
You're a new owner - I wouldn't rush right out to sell SSR & buy AKV. There is a lot of value in owning at SSR for the 11 mo window booking those tree houses and grand villas. My bet is that not every year of the next 40 years will be a Disney trip. Things come up, life changes. You'll start to enjoy banking & borrowing and will have plenty of points to book the relaxing tree houses. You may even buy more points within a decades time. ;)

BTW - I've found the 7 month window and waitlists work very well if you're on top of checking on day 1 and getting yourself right onto that list. Only true exceptions are high occupancy periods and rooms that are even hard for owners to get at 10 months out. Top Example: Treehouses ;) (other examples include AKV concierge and value rooms and anything VWL during the holidays).

ACDSNY
04-12-2012, 11:55 PM
I wouldn't recommend it, but we did sell our SSR to buy VGC in a different UY. Luckily we did this before the pricing tanked. We're on the West Coast so VGC is a better home resort of us.

Kidanifan08
04-13-2012, 06:05 AM
We have been AKV owners since 2008. We love our home resort and would not want to change, in fact, we have an add-on in ROFR currently (third small add-on in the past 2 years :sad2:). When we bought, we purchased enough points to stay in a 1BR savanna view for 7 days during Magic season. Within the first two years of ownership, there was a point re-allocation, and suddenly we were 4 points short for that room type. Plus, we found out that we really like to stay 8-9 days and often bring others, so we did not have enough points in the first place. Thus, the add-ons!

We have been able to stay at SSR, OKW, BWV and BLT in the past 4 years. All of those were made within the 7 months booking window. Our BWV stay was a 1BR boardwalk view which was booked a few days into the 7 month window for 3/9 - 3/14/12. We have not yet tried to get into VWL or BCV and we don't currently intend on going to VB or HHI, but that may change.

Since you like AKV, you should have no trouble getting into a 2BR that resort at 7 months most times of the year, other than perhaps Premiere season. At 7 months, you probably will never get the value or concierge level rooms. At this point in time, there are 2 BR standard views available less than 7 months from now.:thumbsup2

As others have said, your DVC needs will change over the years and you may find different resorts that appeal to you for different reasons. If your good at planning far in advance, you have a very good chance of getting into another resort at 7 months, even if you have to use wait listing (which is how we got a BLT-LV studio in October last year).

Hang in there . . . your gonna love it!

paults
04-13-2012, 07:43 AM
would never change. We bought BWV in 2002 and added twice at BWV. with 2 parks close by we couldn't pass on it. We love it there and so does our whole extended family.:goodvibes

chalee94
04-13-2012, 09:17 AM
if i could switch home resorts for free, it might be tempting. but while i might try other resorts at the 7 month window if i can, i'm always happy to be at OKW.

I have never wanted to change my home resort(AKL) but I have wanted to purchase more points so that we would have two 'home' resorts. I like having the eleven month window.

to avoid confusion for newbies who might misunderstand this, i'll clarify that if you buy a second home resort, the pts from your 2 contracts cannot be combined until 7 months out.

say the OP buys a 25 pt AKV contract in addition to their SSR contract...their SSR pts would still be no good for booking AKV until the 7 month window. they would only have pts from the 25 pt contract for booking AKV at 11 months out.

katieam1
04-13-2012, 09:51 AM
I am happy with my home resorts, however I do wish we had more points at each. LOL. Which I am looking into resale to correct that problem. We own at BLT and AKV. I would like to do small addons, but I have not found the right 50-75 point contract yet in my use year. It will take me a bit to find the right one but I am not going through Disney with the prices the way they are so we sit. I honestly could see myself being unhappy though if we did not buy these two so I could see why you have the feelings you do OP.

Sandisw
04-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Yes. I started out small with a contract at VWL, thinking it would be my 2nd choice resort while BLT was just starting to sell.

It wasn't two months after buying, that I realized I wanted my points at BLT only so sold VWL. Since it was only a 50 point contract, the loss I took was managable, but it was the best decision I made.

I know own BWV as well and realize that owning the places I know I want to stay is important so I can book things the way I want from the start and if I have to stay somewhere else, I can, but am perfectly content if home resorts--BLT and BWV--are the only place I can be.

But, unless you want the value or conceirge rooms at AKV, I think you have a good shot at 7 months of trading in so I wouldn't worry about it until you get to a point that you have trouble.

CMOORE185
04-13-2012, 10:59 AM
7 month is pretty easy to get at AKL and your dues are lower at SSR. Enjoy the savings unless you have problems booking AKL at the 7 month mark.

permavac
04-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Yes. I started out small with a contract...

This is where we are. We were lucky to only have had enough money at the time ;) to buy a 25-point resale contract at HHI. Fast forward a few years and now that we have the cash to buy again, we are (hopefully) buying a small BWV and OKW contract (in ROFR right now). We will sell the HHI once we close on the other 2. Funny though - we may find ourselves doing this again. We've never stayed at OKW and while I think we might enjoy it we LOVE BWV and would rather have all our points there. But, we needed to pull the trigger quickly because we wanted to close in time to book a trip for early next year with our in-laws and the OKW contract was loaded. So we'll see. I know in the long run it will cost us to add-on at BWV and then sell the OKW but I would do it if we kept finding ourselves not able to get into BWV at 7 months... That's really the only problem I see.

Terri

candielips
04-13-2012, 09:15 PM
This is where we are. We were lucky to only have had enough money at the time ;) to buy a 25-point resale contract at HHI. Fast forward a few years and now that we have the cash to buy again, we are (hopefully) buying a small BWV and OKW contract (in ROFR right now). We will sell the HHI once we close on the other 2. Funny though - we may find ourselves doing this again. We've never stayed at OKW and while I think we might enjoy it we LOVE BWV and would rather have all our points there. But, we needed to pull the trigger quickly because we wanted to close in time to book a trip for early next year with our in-laws and the OKW contract was loaded. So we'll see. I know in the long run it will cost us to add-on at BWV and then sell the OKW but I would do it if we kept finding ourselves not able to get into BWV at 7 months... That's really the only problem I see.

Terri

I would never sell SSR to rebuy AKL. To me, that is just too much of a loss. If I had that extra money, I would simply buy more points at AKL and keep my SSR.
I was curious if there was a way to change it through member services and pay a price per point.
But thanks for all of the great replies.
We took our 1st DVC vacation in Jan of this year and had the pleasure of staying at BLT and loved it!
We are hoping to stay at AKL next new years eve for 12 nights

Dean
04-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Anyone ever heard of someone changing their home resort?The cost to sell and rebuy is a min of one closing cost plus 10% commission. In this case, you'd also need to add the difference in price between the 2. That's maybe $3500 on 200 pts, it's usually better just to add a smaller contract using those dollars as a portion.

candielips
04-14-2012, 02:14 PM
The cost to sell and rebuy is a min of one closing cost plus 10% commission. In this case, you'd also need to add the difference in price between the 2. That's maybe $3500 on 200 pts, it's usually better just to add a smaller contract using those dollars as a portion.

That was exactly my thought.

Kathi OD
04-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Yep, all the time. We own at BWV and would much rather be at OKW. We bought when that was all there was and there was nothing available at OKW (at least through Disney. at that time we had no knowledge about a resale market. I wonder now if there was much of one back then). Too expensive to change it now, and fortunately we haven't ever had a problem getting what we want at OKW, so not a big deal.

At any rate, we just :lovestruc OKW. Wish we had been in a financial situation to purchase when it first opened, but alas...sometimes that personal responsibility gene..

ELMC
04-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Yep, all the time. We own at BWV and would much rather be at OKW. We bought when that was all there was and there was nothing available at OKW (at least through Disney. at that time we had no knowledge about a resale market. I wonder now if there was much of one back then). Too expensive to change it now, and fortunately we haven't ever had a problem getting what we want at OKW, so not a big deal.

At any rate, we just :lovestruc OKW. Wish we had been in a financial situation to purchase when it first opened, but alas...sometimes that personal responsibility gene..

One thing to keep in mind is that you can almost always get a contract at any of the DVC resorts. They really push the "current" DVC resorts (right now it's AKV and AUL with a little BLT left), but if you ask enough they will give up that fight to get you what you want. You might have to be put on a waiting list, but DVD can always ROFR a resale contract and sell it to you.

In your case though, assuming you don't have a balance, you could probably sell your BWV and buy a replacement contract at OKW. Even after the commissions, you would probably end up with more money or more points. Keep in mind that you would lose the privileges of owning direct. Seems like a lot of hassle to go through, but it's something to look into anyway.

Dean
04-15-2012, 09:17 AM
In your case though, assuming you don't have a balance, you could probably sell your BWV and buy a replacement contract at OKW. Even after the commissions, you would probably end up with more money or more points. Keep in mind that you would lose the privileges of owning direct. Seems like a lot of hassle to go through, but it's something to look into anyway.While the numbers aren't as bad for downgrading resorts as it is for upgrading at least on the surface, the principles still hold because you'd now own something worth less dollar wise. So ultimately you'd still have almost exactly the same losses. In addition, other than maybe a GV and about 3-4 weeks of the year, one can always get something at OKW 7 months out. IMO the only way this makes sense from a dollar standpoint is if one is downsizing significantly. The rest is simply personal preference.

PoohsFan1
04-15-2012, 10:58 PM
I am happy with my home resorts, however I do wish we had more points at each. LOL.

I feel the same way sometimes :rotfl:

We too love our home resorts (we own at both BLT and SSR) because of the location of BLT and the serenity and quietness that SSR brings. Now with that said, sometimes I wish we bought into BCV (our favorite resort thus far) too, but even though we didn't, that doesn't mean that we can't trade into it at our 7 month mark (we go more at non peak times)...and we haven't had a problem doing so either :goodvibes.

disney_bob
06-01-2012, 11:54 AM
Hopefully this isn't considered bringing up a dead thread, but I was just thinking to myself "boy, if they ever build at polynesian I don't know what I'll do". I hardly think I'll be able to afford two contracts of the same magnitude, nor do I think i'd want to stay anywhere but the polynesian :)

Its too bad they don't somehow offer a service where you pay a fee/penalty and can "upgrade" (still paying the difference) to the resort of your choice. Of course, this would have to be limited to say once every ten years. But I'd do it in a heartbeat for Polynesian.

AllieV
06-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Is there a way to do a contract swap with someone? For example, take over a BCV from someone who doesn't want the higher fees and give them your longer, cheaper SSR (assuming the same or close points)? I was wondering this anyway and this seems like the appropriate thread to pose the question. I'd think it would save the hunting and realtor fees. And if you could trust the person, it would even save the title search and title insurance.

CarolMN
06-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Is there a way to do a contract swap with someone? For example, take over a BCV from someone who doesn't want the higher fees and give them your longer, cheaper SSR (assuming the same or close points)? I was wondering this anyway and this seems like the appropriate thread to pose the question. I'd think it would save the hunting and realtor fees. And if you could trust the person, it would even save the title search and title insurance.

It's still a sale and repurchase for both parties. Both transactions would still have to go through ROFR.

AllieV
06-01-2012, 04:11 PM
It's still a sale and repurchase for both parties. Both transactions would still have to go through ROFR.
There are situations where someone will sign over a contract to an adult child. That doesn't go through ROFR, right? So couldn't you each just sign over your title?

KAT4DISNEY
06-01-2012, 04:29 PM
There are situations where someone will sign over a contract to an adult child. That doesn't go through ROFR, right? So couldn't you each just sign over your title?

Even the gratuitous transfers go through ROFR. It's pretty much a given that DVC will sign off on them but they do go through the process.

But odds of finding two people that wanted to exchange for the exact property the other person has and just make even steven is nothing I'd bet on happening. Most likely there would always be some sort of cash included on one side.

Dean
06-01-2012, 05:47 PM
Even the gratuitous transfers go through ROFR. It's pretty much a given that DVC will sign off on them but they do go through the process.

But odds of finding two people that wanted to exchange for the exact property the other person has and just make even steven is nothing I'd bet on happening. Most likely there would always be some sort of cash included on one side.Each transfer is handled separately as independent events. An even swap is not a gratuitous event.

KAT4DISNEY
06-01-2012, 06:34 PM
Each transfer is handled separately as independent events. An even swap is not a gratuitous event.

I actually didn't mean to imply that it was. What I did want to clarify is that even a transfer from parent to child has to go thru ROFR.

Dean
06-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I actually didn't mean to imply that it was. What I did want to clarify is that even a transfer from parent to child has to go thru ROFR.OK, thanks for clarifying. Your second paragraph threw me off when you seemed to be talking about the exchange of ownership. As for your intent, as clarified, yes and no. DVC has chosen to go the route of ROFR process to handle this situation but it is not a requirement that's inherent. Also, while ROFR are generally recorded, I can see no reason that this has to be done for this situation. Maybe someone else knows something about this that I don't but I see no downside to not recording ROFR for a family transfer and possibly not for any sale as long as you have it. I can't imagine DVC checks online for it and they don't require a copy of the recorded ROFR back to change the names.

permavac
06-01-2012, 09:12 PM
...Also, while ROFR are generally recorded, I can see no reason that this has to be done for this situation. Maybe someone else knows something about this that I don't but I see no downside to not recording ROFR for a family transfer and possibly not for any sale as long as you have it...

This is a good question. Is it technically a "sale" if no money changes hands? If a parent changes the name on the deed to that of their child and removes him/herself from it, does that go to ROFR? Isn't it just a deed change at that point? Has anyone actually done it?

I would think that if Disney received it as ROFR and there was a $0 amount associated, wouldn't they just take it back? I don't see how ROFR comes into play without a sale attached?

Terri

ELMC
06-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Taken from DVCnews.com, specifically from:

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/1628-change-in-language-on-rofr-waiver-notice

Bold and italics are my emphasis, not the original author's.

"When a Disney Vacation Club Owner wishes to sell their points to another person, Disney Vacation Development has the right to step in and purchase the points instead. This is known as DVD's Right of First Refusal (ROFR). If DVD decides not to purchase the points, it issues a Notice of Waiver of Right of First Refusal. The Notice specifically states that the Owner is selling their points to another party.

If a Disney Vacation Club Owner wishes to make a gratuitous transfer of their points to another person, DVD routinely waives its right to step in and purchase the points, but it still issues a Notice of Waiver of ROFR. The language of the Notice indicates that it is a gratuitous transfer and that the Owner will not receive any consideration for the transfer."

What's interesting is that it uses the word "routinely" and not "guaranteed". So even though they routinely do this, there's nothing that suggests that they will continue with the routine. Also, on resale contracts all the numbers have been predetermined. If DVD does decide that it wants to take a contract that is being gratuitously transferred, how do they determine a price?

Dean
06-01-2012, 09:37 PM
This is a good question. Is it technically a "sale" if no money changes hands? If a parent changes the name on the deed to that of their child and removes him/herself from it, does that go to ROFR? Isn't it just a deed change at that point? Has anyone actually done it?

I would think that if Disney received it as ROFR and there was a $0 amount associated, wouldn't they just take it back? I don't see how ROFR comes into play without a sale attached?

TerriI did a quick scan of the POS I have from OKW. As I read it, any transfer would be deemed to fall under ROFR. Thus if it were a transfer for free, as I read it, DVD could pick it up for free. As noted, they have generally allowed family transfers without compensation but I do not see this as a requirement or right as I read the POS. Obviously the ability to add and remove names gives some flexibility to this possible pitfall.

Deb & Bill
06-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Taken from DVCnews.com, specifically from:

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-program/financial/1628-change-in-language-on-rofr-waiver-notice...What's interesting is that it uses the word "routinely" and not "guaranteed". So even though they routinely do this, there's nothing that suggests that they will continue with the routine. Also, on resale contracts all the numbers have been predetermined. If DVD does decide that it wants to take a contract that is being gratuitously transferred, how do they determine a price?

DVCNews is tjkraz, not DVC officially.

permavac
06-01-2012, 09:51 PM
I did a quick scan of the POS I have from OKW. As I read it, any transfer would be deemed to fall under ROFR. Thus if it were a transfer for free, as I read it, DVD could pick it up for free. As noted, they have generally allowed family transfers without compensation but I do not see this as a requirement or right as I read the POS. Obviously the ability to add and remove names gives some flexibility to this possible pitfall.

That's kinda scary! I guess there isn't any reason for DVC to try to "steal" a contract when someone is trying to give it to their kids but I would feel better if they had addressed that in the POS as a definite pass on ROFR. And you're right, adding names can usually fix that up. But, not addressing that issue specifically and leaving it to "routine" seems sloppy to me. Oh well - we don't have kids so we'll be taking it to our grave anyway :laughing:

Terri

sweetdana
06-03-2012, 01:22 PM
I fell in love with BC with our 1st trip.. That being said SSR (where we own), after 3 trips there is now our 2nd fav resort. My goal is to usually split stay the 2 of these resorts, when I go for more than 6 days. When I bought, it was solely cause SSR was about 20-30$ less than all the others, and I could not justify the price diff especially with the yrs left were more.

As a side note, I for a while kept thinking if I bought more points, they would be BC, but once my kids grow out of the kiddie pool, I believe I would be back at SSR (or the Poly if it ever shows up). With less yrs on the contracts, I do not think I could even liking the resort more.

My fav now, is not the same as it was 3 yrs ago. I would not jump on a sell/buy without the emotional drive for at least 3 yrs.

KAT4DISNEY
06-03-2012, 01:58 PM
I did a quick scan of the POS I have from OKW. As I read it, any transfer would be deemed to fall under ROFR. Thus if it were a transfer for free, as I read it, DVD could pick it up for free. As noted, they have generally allowed family transfers without compensation but I do not see this as a requirement or right as I read the POS. Obviously the ability to add and remove names gives some flexibility to this possible pitfall.

So to clarify your previous post where you thought ROFR wasn't a requirement that was inherent to a transfer it sounds like you have since located a section in the POS that does make the ROFR required for a gratuitous transfer amongst family (or anyone I guess)?

Dean
06-03-2012, 04:38 PM
So to clarify your previous post where you thought ROFR wasn't a requirement that was inherent to a transfer it sounds like you have since located a section in the POS that does make the ROFR required for a gratuitous transfer amongst family (or anyone I guess)?I think the jury's still out. I did a quick run through of the POS. My previous statement was that it was that way because DVD/DVC chose to make it so and I think that still holds. There really are 2 issues here, that of the ability to transfer and how it's handled. Unless DVD starts to block gratuitous transfers to family, it really doesn't matter how they handle it.

daisygirl902
06-08-2012, 10:20 AM
Now that I've been a member for a few years I do wish I had purchased elsewhere...I love the modern atmosphere of BLT and may enjoy it more for the monorail when I am traveling with kids...however we were shocked to realize after staying at multiple resorts that the one we thought we'd like least (OKW) is the one we kike BEST! So yes, looking at the prices and what I know now vs then I would probably have purchased OKW on resale vs BLT direct...however that being said I don't regret it for a second, and would not sell BLT to get an OKW contract...I'll just save and buy another contract there later!

twinklebug
06-08-2012, 12:01 PM
I know this is slightly askew from the OTopic, but this discussion is very good for us all to know:

Terri

So to clarify your previous post where you thought ROFR wasn't a requirement that was inherent to a transfer it sounds like you have since located a section in the POS that does make the ROFR required for a gratuitous transfer amongst family (or anyone I guess)?

In general, Disney allows transfers of contracts to family members in the case of death. It's good business sense to allow such exchanges and leaves the family as a whole with a positive view of Disney, encouraging more visits and possibly add-ons. I assume this also extends to cases where the owner may not be able to use their contract any longer and wishes to gift it to a child.

Disney has built in an ROFR safety valve for the cases where a member may abuse this ability and start gifting memberships to 'family' left and right. The final say as to what is to be done with the points always goes to Disney.

Also note, I have been told that for employee discounted DVC purchases there is a special clause written in prohibiting sale/transfer of the unit in some manners - I'm assuming that means it cannot be resold, except back to DVC. It's been a few years since I went over this with my guide and forget the details.

Dean
06-08-2012, 08:10 PM
Also note, I have been told that for employee discounted DVC purchases there is a special clause written in prohibiting sale/transfer of the unit in some manners - I'm assuming that means it cannot be resold, except back to DVC. It's been a few years since I went over this with my guide and forget the details.I know for the last few years there has been such a clause. My understanding is there are many CM who bought prior to this restriction. I haven't heard that DVC required current CM who bought under the old rules to sign a statement to this effect and certainly those who bought without the restriction and did not sign anything else should be treated the same as any other member. I haven't seen the full wording but what I've seen reported is that they can only sell back to DVD and for the price paid. What I haven't see is whether DVD is required to buy it back or if they decline, what the CM's option are at that point. If DVD is required to buy it back at the price paid, that might be a plus and not a negative currently and going forward. I wonder if there have been any changes to this policy due to the true market value of points one purchased.

ToddyLu
06-08-2012, 08:50 PM
:) We are happy with our Home. I think sometimes it would be fun to stay at VWL and BWV...now that we have made 5 trips to AKV, it is just home and we love it each and every time. We were lucky as we had never stepped foot on the property-which I would never recommend for anyone.