PDA

View Full Version : Going on excursions in wheel chair

disneycruiser22
04-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Has anyone had experience going on excursions run by disney in a wheel chair? We want to go to Playa Mia and possibly seven mile beach break (and were really doing it through disney b/c they provide transportation) but i'm afraid b/c we will have someone in a wheel chair. They can walk, just not well... any experiences? thanks!:goodvibes

jdb in AZ
04-11-2012, 10:16 AM
Go into your cruise reservation port adventures, click on the particular shore excursion you want, then click on "more details." The fine print should tell you whether the shore excursion can handle wheelchairs.

Eeyore'sthebest
04-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Just be prepared for them not to be able to accomodate the wheelchair. We had a young girl across from us for one cruise. She was in a wheelchair. Her mom scoured all the information before hand, made all the phone calls, etc. She was assured that the GC island tour was accessible. Her DD really wanted to go the turtle farm. We ended up on the same excursion. We all got to the bus together only to find out that the bus was not accessible even though Disney assured her it would be. The bus company was upset because they had a HCA bus but Disney never contacted them to bring it. The poor girl was so upset. :sad2: A couple of men, DH included, offered to help carry her on and off the bus but she wouldn't allow them. She was 14 and very self-conscious and wanted as much independence as possible. Disney refunded their excursion money after the mom got done with them.

Disney922
04-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Just be prepared for them not to be able to accomodate the wheelchair. We had a young girl across from us for one cruise. She was in a wheelchair. Her mom scoured all the information before hand, made all the phone calls, etc. She was assured that the GC island tour was accessible. Her DD really wanted to go the turtle farm. We ended up on the same excursion. We all got to the bus together only to find out that the bus was not accessible even though Disney assured her it would be. The bus company was upset because they had a HCA bus but Disney never contacted them to bring it. The poor girl was so upset. :sad2: A couple of men, DH included, offered to help carry her on and off the bus but she wouldn't allow them. She was 14 and very self-conscious and wanted as much independence as possible. Disney refunded their excursion money after the mom got done with them.

I am going to call Disney right now, as this will be an issue for us. I specfically check on HA accessible tours for GFIL and Island Tour was one of them. He can walk and the wheelchair he will be using can be folded so we shall see.

kcashner
04-11-2012, 12:06 PM
You've just hit one big point--he can walk and the chair will fold. This will give you A LOT more options provided he can get on and off the transportation.

Beaches and wheelchairs are a bad combo...at least based on my one experience with a friend. I couldn't push the "beach wheelchair" provided on Castaway Cay. After a serious effort, my friend said that those are always trouble (she is a not large woman). On the paths the standard chair was fine, but on the sand, it also was a problem. You can get TO 7 Mile Beach, but whether you can get onto the beach is another issue.

disneycruiser22
04-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Thank you, I know what you're saying about the beach wheel chairs at castaway cay...not an easy task!! Anyone have any direct experience with Playa Mia or seven mile beach break and wheel chairs? is there a place to leave the chair before entering the beach? thanks!:goodvibes

dad2wayne
04-12-2012, 08:50 PM
we are concerned about castaway key my wife can walk but only a few 100 feet. it says the dream has wheelchairs you can borrow but do they let you take them off the ship?