PDA

View Full Version : Is Ohana worth it?

Emma1987
04-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Hi there

I really wanna try this place out this year. Is it worth it and what are the prices like?
It'll more than likely just be me and DBF.

Thanks in advance for info

jimmytammy
04-10-2012, 06:00 AM
I cant honestly say it isnt worth $32 per person, but IMO none of the pricey restaurants are worth that hefty price at WDW. I have to remember I am on vacation.

But, we love eating at Ohana for dinner. It is unlike any experience you will have at any other restaurant that I am aware of. It is so immersive in its food, atmosphere and entertainment. But the food is what brings us back.

Magic3forme
04-10-2012, 06:43 AM
Ohana is one of our favorites for dinner. The wings, the noodles, the bread, the shrimp, the meat/ chicken and the Bread pudding... yum!!
We were there twice last year.. both times had great meals!! :)

Emma1987
04-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Do you know where I could find a link to the current menu prices. I tried AllEars and WDWMagic, but no luck.. ??

Magic3forme
04-10-2012, 07:39 AM
ResortPrice:$$ ($15 to $35.99 per person)
*Cuisine:Polynesian and American

this is from the dining reservation website.

Emma1987
04-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Yeah I've seen the guidelines on the Disney website, but I was hoping to find actual menus online like some of the others that are listed.

oh WELL, I'll keep trying.

Magic3forme
04-10-2012, 07:41 AM
Yeah I've seen the guidelines on the Disney website, but I was hoping to find actual menus online like some of the others that are listed.

oh WELL, I'll keep trying.

google it.. I saw the menus listed on a few websites. the menu hasnt changed ! :)

maiapapaya
04-10-2012, 08:41 AM
We just ate there last fall. The menu hasn't changed: (it's a set menu served family style)
"welcome" bread, salad, noodles, dumplings, sticky wings, broccoli, meat skewers (beef, shrimp, chicken or turkey), bananas foster for dessert. According to allears it's $32.99/adult.

Dziactor
04-10-2012, 08:56 AM
My wife was looking for prices(for a different restaurant), and didn't seem to have much luck. She ended up calling the 407-wdw-dine number and asking.

bigtony777
04-10-2012, 08:58 AM
As far as WDW meals, this is tops in my book. The food is extremely good. It is similar to a Brazilian steak house that brings the skewers to your table to serve the meat. So if you compare it to what you pay for those places, it is actually a good deal compared to other WDW meals.

Tramp68
04-10-2012, 09:25 AM
It is more like a buffet, but they bring the food to the table. You do not order anything special they bring everything and then you get seconds of whatever you want.

It is worth the price in comparison to any othe rrestaurant on Disney property.

It was a great meal for a family.

katieam1
04-10-2012, 09:34 AM
For us it is not while we are paying out of pocket and using our TIW card. If we decide to do the dining plan YES this is one we would book. While on the dining plan we do more Family Style and buffets because we are trying to get our money out of the plan paying OOP we are more selective and we choose Kona Cafe instead. The kids are really for us the main reason they will not eat that much so I prefer to either let them share ours or order them the kids meal at 8.99 rather than 19 for them at dinner.

DisneyDreamers2007
04-11-2012, 01:56 PM
My DH&I FINALLY tried it last week and it's possibly our new favorite restaurant. The service & food were excellent! My favorites are California Grill, Kouzinna, & Rose and Crown. DH likes Whispering Canyon, Wolfgang Puck & Cape May Cafe. We both love Boma & Lunch@Liberty Tree Tavern.

7165red
04-11-2012, 02:59 PM
We love it, it's a must on every trip.

heartse
04-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Wow... so many people love this restaurant. We were all rather "eh" about it. :confused3 The meat was all tough and overcooked. We did like the welcome bread though, and the bread pudding was YUMMY! But I really was not impressed at all with the rest of it. Good thing it was "Free dining" otherwise I might have been a bit more irate about the whole thing.

bigtony777
04-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Wow... so many people love this restaurant. We were all rather "eh" about it. :confused3 The meat was all tough and overcooked. We did like the welcome bread though, and the bread pudding was YUMMY! But I really was not impressed at all with the rest of it. Good thing it was "Free dining" otherwise I might have been a bit more irate about the whole thing.

I would recommend to give it another try. We have been 4 times and have never had the experience of poor food quality. Maybe you had the bad luck of less than skilled person on the grill.

shell8558
04-11-2012, 05:15 PM
My family totally loves it!! It is our favorite place to eat at Disney. I think you should definately give it a try!

gaffney09
04-11-2012, 05:26 PM
'Ohana's was one of the best dining experiences I've had at Disney so far. It was delicious!! And the food just keeps coming! So in my opinion, it is most definitely worth it. This is the one restaurant our family agreed we HAVE to eat at every time we come to Disney World!! The atmosphere is fun too. And if you time it right, you can see some of the fireworks off in the distance in the evening. :goodvibes
I always check out the most up to date menus at www.wdwinfo.com . They usually keep the menus and prices pretty current there and it's just a great website all around for any Disney info. Hope this helps!

Amy&Dan
04-11-2012, 05:38 PM
We really enjoy it and have eaten there quite a few times over the years. I do think its pricey but then all things at Disney are pricey. With tax and tip for us and the holiday surcharge, it would be around $200. The time before this last visit, we paid out of pocket and the food was not as good and we took a couple of years off. This time we were on Free Dining and I am so glad we did go back.

We ate there on March 30th and it was one of our best times. I do think the meats can sometimes be hit or miss but what we love is the salad, wings, dumplings, bread and bread pudding. Strangely enough, to us the meat is secondary! This last time the pork and shrimp were incredible, the beef was tough and the chicken was dry the first round but really good the second time they brought it out. Service was excellent and we love eating in that atmopshere.

I also love the tropical cocktails!

daisy8869
04-11-2012, 07:36 PM
We also love Ohana. If you go there expecting succulent filet quality meat, then you will be disappointed just like you would be at any other family style or buffet type meal. The sides are amazing and while sometimes the meat can be a little tough or over cooked, it is still an amazing experience and meal.

As far as price, specific pricing can change depending on when you visit. We last went Easter week and it was $35.99 per person. It would probably be best to call if you need to know exactly how much it will be during your visit. Also Ohana now requires a credit card guarantee to make a reservation ( which you will need, it stays pretty booked).

Bob NC
04-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Is Ohana worth it?

Yes, definitely!

Bob NC
04-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Is Ohana worth it?

No, no way!

angiejg
04-14-2012, 01:44 PM
YES! Totally worth it! We go every trip! The bread pudding is our absolute all time favorite dessert in all of Disney!

robert72
04-14-2012, 01:53 PM
I have an adr for this september my son and his family stayed at the POLYNESIAN last year and enjoyed it

Emma1987
04-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Thanks for all of the replies !

Definitely going to check it out this year!!!

momberry
04-16-2012, 10:33 AM
ABSOLUTELY! Our absolute favorite!!!! Try to make a reservation close to the fireworks at Magic Kingdom. You can request a table by the window....or if you're done with your meal, go sit on the beach and have a wonderful, crowd-free fireworks show!!

Emma1987
05-09-2012, 11:45 AM
thanks

Emma1987
05-09-2012, 11:48 AM
ABSOLUTELY! Our absolute favorite!!!! Try to make a reservation close to the fireworks at Magic Kingdom. You can request a table by the window....or if you're done with your meal, go sit on the beach and have a wonderful, crowd-free fireworks show!!

This sounds like something I really wanna do!! How do I go about doing this? Like, what times should I be booking for and how far from the beach is Ohana?

TheRustyScupper
05-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Our Ratings of Ohana: (1/21/2012)
. . . food price value: C
. . . food quality: D
. . . food quantity per serving: A
. . . food prep speed: B
. . . food selection: B
. . . seating quantity: B
. . . seating comfort: C
. . . eatery atmosphere: C
. . . eatery convenience: B
. . . staff friendliness: B
. . . staff attentiveness: B
. . . character interaction: n/a

NOTE: Used to be highly rated. However, the food
quality has severely deteriorated over the past year.
For food quality, select another restaurant.

iloveeeyore
05-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Bread, salad, 2 appetizers (pot stickers, sticky wings), 2 side dishes (noodles, veggies), 4 kinds of meat (shrimp, beef, pork, chicken) and dessert plus soft drinks...all for under $40. And the "entertainment" is really a nice touch, too. We love the tropical, party atmosphere.

The drawback is that there is no a la carte menu. You get what they serve. If you don't like some or most of the itmes, you might not find it worth it. We love everything, from salad to dessert, so yes, we find it worth it.

Mcert01
05-09-2012, 03:26 PM

I would say this is pretty accurate, though I think the food is better than a D, not higher than a C, but probably not as bad as a D.

My view is probably skewed because I have been to an authentic Brazilian steak house, which is strikingly similar, and Ohana's is just not as good. By comparison the meat selections are more limited, and the cuts are not as flavorful. I try to avoid the side dishes at both ... its about the meat! :lmao:

That said, we had a good time, and I would go back if someone in my party had their heart set on eating there again.

North of Mouse
05-09-2012, 03:35 PM

This seems to be your "basic score sheet" for most restaurants. I guess I wonder why you eat at them :confused3 Ohana is very delicious, from beginning to end. Yummy :love: We just ate there 1 1/2 weeks ago - a must do each trip - was no different than the past several years we have gone.

Gr8t Fan
05-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Nope!!!!

saintfan
05-09-2012, 04:05 PM
We just ate there last fall. The menu hasn't changed: (it's a set menu served family style)
"welcome" bread, salad, noodles, dumplings, sticky wings, broccoli, meat skewers (beef, shrimp, chicken or turkey), bananas foster for dessert. According to allears it's $32.99/adult.

that is the menu. we ate there last Oct it was awesome. we were on the dining plan. we also got to see Electrical Water Pageant our ADR was for 8:20.

goofy78
05-09-2012, 05:19 PM
One word- ABSOLUTELY!

pigletto
05-09-2012, 05:27 PM
I ate there last Friday. YES. It was worth it. We had a great server (for a change), and the steak especially, but all the meat was PERFECTLY cooked. I had always enjoyed it before but everything was moist and tender and well.. perfect.
We got there as it opened so maybe the difference was the meat hadn't been waiting around. Honestly I would say it was much much much better than ever before. And we liked it before :thumbsup2

JD698
05-09-2012, 11:10 PM
We love Ohana. We ate dinner there on the first night of our trip. The food was great. Loved the wings and noodles. The steak and pork were amazing and the dessert -- hands down the best dessert we had at disney!!! Added bonus was being able to see some of the wishes fireworks from our table and then seeing the electrical water pageant from the beach after dinner.

kkfisher
05-10-2012, 09:51 PM
This is a must-do for us now each trip. Hand down, one of my two favorite meals at Disney (other is Cali Grill). The meat is just okay, but the sides and dessert are what make it amazing! I LOVE their salad, noodles, potstickers, and dessert. I crave these things all the time and wish that we lived closer so that I could eat there more often!

mikkiwikki
05-10-2012, 09:58 PM
We had a good experience here on our Poly trip.
it was mentioned in my siggie...you are paying for the character interactions and we got lots...Kids loved it...food was good, and lots of it. :)

Not sure if we will book for our upcoming trip, as we will not be on the dining plan...(and we were on the poly trip) but we had fond memories

handinpocket
05-10-2012, 11:00 PM
'Ohana for dinner is not worth it for us. The turkey is gone now and the other meats are usually very dry when brought out. We have asked for rare steak and had to wait and wait and then brought almost raw pieces of gristly steak. The best part of the meal is always the shrimp and the bread pudding....but that hardly justifies the cost and bad service. Won't be going back for a long, long time and we have been faithful since they had the lo mein stir fry with salmon...YEARS ago.