PDA

View Full Version : Chef Mickey's - yuck. just back 10 minutes ago.

ubermama
04-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Just got back from one of the worst Disney meals ever. Chef Mickey's was terrible. The food had no flavor, the wait staff was a joke and the character interaction was rushed. We would not go back. I could not believe how terrible the food tasted and the wait staff was some of the worst I've ever experienced. For the first time ever we undertipped and told ourselves that we would not be returning.

jennyjinx3
04-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Just got back from one of the worst Disney meals ever. Chef Mickey's was terrible. The food had no flavor, the wait staff was a joke and the character interaction was rushed. We would not go back. I could not believe how terrible the food tasted and the wait staff was some of the worst I've ever experienced. For the first time ever we undertipped and told ourselves that we would not be returning.

:eek: so sorry you had this experience!!

mrs_noopie
04-09-2012, 11:08 PM
So sorry to hear!

But thank-you for making me not feel so bad about not being able to get an ADR there...

TheRustyScupper
04-09-2012, 11:28 PM
1) I keep telling people to avoid Chef Mickey's.
2) Now, you know why.
3) Usually the service is better, but the food remains YUCK.
4) If I were to rate the Disney-owned character meals,
. . . Tusker House (L)
. . . Tusker House (B)
. . . 1900 Park Fare (D)
. . . 1900 Park Fare (B)
. . . Crystal Palace (B)
. . . Crystal Palace (D)
. . . Crystal Palace (L)
. . . Ohana
. . . Akerhus (all)
. . . CRT (all)
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . .
. . . Chef Mickey's (all)

staceylynnga
04-10-2012, 01:49 AM
Was this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner?

There is not one nice thing you can say? I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I'm surprised it was so awful that you can't find one redeeming thing?

we've never been but we do have breakfast ressies for our upcoming September trip. I had been holding off because I heard the food was not great, but my 2 year old loves Mickey. Figure it's a good start to our 2nd MK day. Plus I had read that it was alot of fun and that if any meal, breakfast was the way to go.

mommy2twinprincesses
04-10-2012, 01:52 AM
We love Chef Mickey's. In fact it is the only place DH insisted on doing again for our upcoming trip. So sorry you had this experience!

papamouse1
04-10-2012, 01:58 AM
We have yet to do Chef Mickey's, and honestly, posts like this one have been one of the main reasons. It seems we have heard this scenario a lot more over the last couple of years, and there a just so many other great places to do instead... makes it easier to go elsewhere. Our kids are older so maybe that is why it's not as big a deal anymore (kind of like CRT for us...) :)

2Pirates2Princesses
04-10-2012, 07:08 AM
Sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience. We did a Chef Mickey's breakfast ADR and it was one of the highlights of our trip. The food was tasty, hot, and plentiful and the character interaction was great; the characters even came around twice! I wonder if the time of the meal has something to do with it (having a late dinner ADR), not that it is an excuse though for you having such a bad experience. The majority of unfavorable reviews I've heard about Chef Mickey's have been about the dinner.

LaurieN
04-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Was this for breakfast, lunch, or dinner?

There is not one nice thing you can say? I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but I'm surprised it was so awful that you can't find one redeeming thing?

we've never been but we do have breakfast ressies for our upcoming September trip. I had been holding off because I heard the food was not great, but my 2 year old loves Mickey. Figure it's a good start to our 2nd MK day. Plus I had read that it was alot of fun and that if any meal, breakfast was the way to go.

I'm not the OP but I've done both breakfast and dinner at Chef Mickey. I will never do dinner again, it was terrible (and the fact that it was Thanksgiving made it even worse!). Breakfast was good, I would consider going back on our next trip. As for the service we've had both good and bad, I think it just depends on your server and how busy they are at the time. I did find the characters to be very rushed compared to other character meals we've done.

If you go expecting the greatest meal you've ever had you will be unhappy, if you go expecting to have a good fun breakfast you will be very happy!!
Laurie:goodvibes

Dziactor
04-10-2012, 08:34 AM
I have never done the dinner. I have enjoyed the breakfast many times. Cant get a reservation for May for it. Hope a spot opens.

goofyintoronto
04-10-2012, 08:52 AM

Cant say im surprised. Chef Mickeys is NOT very good, AT ALL! I found the quality of food to be poor, including the temperature of the food. The place isnt clean....and the characters took FOREVER to come around. They were cute thou. That was the only good thing about the place. I wouldnt go back.

one2admire
04-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Our service is usually fairly decent but the food alone was bad enough for us to vow to not return.

Vickie46
04-10-2012, 08:59 AM
We love Chef Mickeys and always have had GREAT experiences there! The food is our fav out of all the parks!

NancyIL
04-10-2012, 09:05 AM
I had dinner at Chef Mickey's once in 2002, and wasn't impressed enough to go back. The last character meal I had was breakfast at Tusker House in December, and it was very good. I think breakfasts are the way to go when it involves a buffet.

katieam1
04-10-2012, 10:40 AM

Sorry you had such a bad experience!! I have to say I also was not pleased with our dinner at Chef Mickeys this past trip and we decided we would not do dinner again. We have always liked the breakfast at Chef Mickey's so we tried dinner for my daughter's birthday dinner (her choice) my parents went we ordered a cake and the only thing any of us liked was the cake we ordered.

Hopefully the rest of your meals during your stay will get better!!! pixiedust:

LJD2143
04-10-2012, 11:58 AM
We love Chef Mickeys!:banana:

My Tip: Do NOT go to buffets at the end of the evening or near the end of breakfast service. Earlier ADRs are better because:
- the food is hot & plentiful,
- the buffet is cleaner,
- the CMs/characters are not exhausted yet,
- kids are not melting down.

Just my 2cents!:goodvibes

danj1997
04-10-2012, 12:06 PM
We have heard so many bad things lately that instead of breakfast at chef mickey's we are giving cape may a try on our June vacation. I know Mickey isn't there but Minnie is and I have been told by friends of ours that the food is much better and everything is more laid back with good character interaction. My daughter is still very excited and to see Mickey will will wait over at the Animal Kingdom to see him.

cantwaitvaca09
04-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Sorry you had such a bad experience!! I have to say I also was not pleased with our dinner at Chef Mickeys this past trip and we decided we would not do dinner again. We have always liked the breakfast at Chef Mickey's so we tried dinner for my daughter's birthday dinner (her choice) my parents went we ordered a cake and the only thing any of us liked was the cake we ordered.

Hopefully the rest of your meals during your stay will get better!!! pixiedust:

I can say the same thing as you. We did dinner in 2006 for DD bday,
Cake was good.. serivice SUCKED. food was ok, not worth the $$$ dinner bill.

I have done Cape May breakfast it is good.

Were are doing 1900PF Breakfast, I have heard it was good. Hoping it is.

danj1997
04-10-2012, 12:23 PM
We are going to try 1900 Park Fare for breakfast as well this trip. Dinner was okay last time but my daughter wants to see Mary Poppins instead of Cinderella this trip.

shell8558
04-10-2012, 12:26 PM
We have never had a good experience with Chef Mickeys. Usually the only plus is the interaction with the characters, but it sounds like that is going downhill too.

vevolis
04-10-2012, 01:57 PM
I was able to pick out a few decent things for breakfast at Chef Mickey's. The characters were pretty interactive and we had a really great server who was topping up everything before we even had the mindset to ask :)

That being said, if it were up to me, we'd simply skip Disney breakfasts and get lunch & dinner. It's not to say that Disney can't make a good breakfast, I'm just not a fan and I find most breakfast inheritably bland.

That being said, if you want a flavorful breakfast, you go to Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

POOHDRMR
04-10-2012, 02:15 PM
I have done dinner 3 times and the first time it was great but the last 2 times we were not impressed either.We skipped it last summer but I have and adr againfor this year because my 2 yr old loves Mickey and Goofy.We did tusker house breakfast last year and he loved it.We have also done breakfat 3 times and have found it to be better.My dd always requests breakfast instead of dinner-we went 2 years ago for her b-day and the server was great and gave her a special tinkerbell pin.

smiths02
04-10-2012, 03:55 PM
I have to say we had a similar experience at dinner in 2009.

We have been to Disneyworld 3 times 2003, 2009, and 2011. We ate at:
Chef Mickey (D)
Crystal Palace (B, L, D)
Boma (D) X2
Tusker House (B) X2
1900 Park Fare (B)
Chefs de France (L)
Ohana (D) X2
Hollywood & Vine (B)
Cape May (D)
T-Rex (D)

And the only disappointing meal we had was dinner at Chef Mickey's. Luckily, the character interaction was good and it was our first character meal with our son...but the food was not good...my college cafeteria was better. It was also "messy."
We are not picky eaters...I have been known to like Olive Garden and even Taco Bell. The food was not totally inedible, but I would have been just as happy with a Lean Cuisine and a bowl of soft serve. I believe we got better food at the Counter Service places we ate at.

Ryansdad0727
04-10-2012, 04:04 PM
We did Chef Mickey's for dinner in December. It took awhile to get through all of the characters but it was not too bad. I thought the food was great. There was something for every taste and the choices were plentiful. We are doing it again in July so i will see if we just hit a good day or if i love yucky food. I gave Chef Mickey's 2 big thumbs up.

taylor3297
04-10-2012, 04:10 PM
I guess we have been lucky. We have always had good experiences at Chef Mickeys. So far we have only had dinner and we normally get our ADR for around 5:30 PM.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

Don Disney
04-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Cant say im surprised. Chef Mickeys is NOT very good, AT ALL! I found the quality of food to be poor, including the temperature of the food. The place isnt clean....and the characters took FOREVER to come around. They were cute thou. That was the only good thing about the place. I wouldnt go back. What she said.We have gone twice for dinner;the first time,we were"blinded"by first-timers disease;the food was ok,and the service and characters were really nice.Our second time was EXACTLY how goofyintoronto said it was for her family.:confused3 I'm thinking we won't be going back-characters or not.:sad2:

MickeyEars
04-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Chef Mickey's used to be our first night dinnner every single trip but the food got soooooooo bad we haven't been back in the past 3 years.
My family refuses to even discuss going back.

Carla

DeeCeeSW
04-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Chef Mickey's used to be our first night dinnner every single trip but the food got soooooooo bad we haven't been back in the past 3 years.
My family refuses to even discuss going back.

Carla

Same here.:sad2:

amberg@eastlink.ca
04-10-2012, 05:41 PM
sorryyou had a bad experience! im not overly stuck on it, but the kids enjoy it so we always book it. after december/januarys trip however when i got the flu that night after eating minniestronni soup i dont think ill ever be able to go back. :sick: dd was kind enough to pass along her tummy bug to me, so we skipped mmri and did walk up to cm's. we reurned the following night for our actual ressie and i do give them kudos for making me chicken broth....it was prob the most expensive chicken broth i've ever paid for tho!

TomorrowlandFamily
04-10-2012, 06:28 PM
serivice SUCKED.

What kind of service is there? I mean, isn't this a buffet restaurant?? Sorry, I'm confused and concerned because we have a breakfast reservation there for July! Thanks!

browneyedgrl4282
04-10-2012, 06:44 PM
I hate that place!

3pletprincesses
04-10-2012, 10:11 PM
sounds like our experience too a few years ago and we haven't been back since

for the person who asked about service, service was so poor when we went that our plates were never cleared and we had 1 drink refills and that was after asking around for our bill and we asked to have another drink at the same time.

crostorfer
04-10-2012, 10:15 PM
I LOATHE Chef Mickey's.

I hate it so much that I don't even like riding the monorail through the Contemporary, because I have to see it along the way. I'd never stay at the Contemporary Resort, just because I was so displeased with our dinner there.

pigletto
04-10-2012, 10:56 PM
Everybody is different I guess. We've eaten there twice and found it fine. Just fine. Not fantastic or a show stopper. But the food was good, the character interaction was fun, and we've had kind and competent service.
My kids love it and we've booked it for our upcoming trip because it will be my inlaws first time and it's a great place to meet the major characters all together.
We've always had the ddp. If I paid those prices out of pocket for Chef Mickeys I can assure you my review would be more critical. But with the DDP it doesn't bother me. Strange but true.

It's not a gourmet experience or anything close to it.. but we didn't find it dreadful.

ETA.. I saw someone else mention that it's better to go early. Maybe that's it. We've always gone when it is opening for the night so everything is fresh and clean and the buffet is well stocked. I can see that making a big difference in the impression someone would leave with.

~Tonga Wingo~
04-10-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm not surprised by the OPs comment. I have not been back either since my first time. Food was not great and neither was the character interaction. I much prefer 'Ohana or Crystal Palace for breakfast, Tusker House for lunch and Garden Grill for dinner. There are many other places to see Mickey and friends with much much better food. I think Chef's is always crowded and noisy too and I completely understand it caters to kids but still find it quite loud.

canopynut66
04-10-2012, 11:53 PM

Well darn...we have not been for four years as we had such a bad experience also with food (was dried out and tasteless and eggs raw as well as raw sausage) and come on who can't make gravy? it can be bought in a package if they do not know how and they do not.and service was horrible. server brought water and then never seen her again we got our own coffee and then ate what we could and characters were fine. we get ready to leave and this "so called server" yelled at me and I ask what she needed and she said you did not leave a tip and I advised had no service beyond setting us at a table and basically throwing the check in the little black book on table as she passed by so was not tipping. she said she would get the manager told her fine and I sat down to wait. waited way over 20 minutes and he never came so we left. We have went to WDW for years and Chef Mickeys was a must every trip for at least one meal and it got worse and worse then this happened so we not been back. We were only back then as a cousin had came with us and had a 3 year old and wanted to go there. We are going on our 63rd trip in November and had talked about trying it again but guess not. Tusker house is good as is Holly wood and Vine and we all like Boma's all for breakfast or dinners. and Cape May is fun with Goofy for breakfast, We like character meals when we there for at least a few meals. Going to re try Crystal Palace this trip and hope it better than was few years ago. We like 1900 Park fare but about scared the 3 year old to death with the one step sister...:rotfl2: but was good food. Whispering Canyons in WL is a fun place as well. Thanks for the tip:dance3:

Mamato3Princes
04-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Wow! I'm surprised so many ppl hate it there! We ate there for a breakfast and a dinner and both were great. But both times we had great service (plates were taken away almost immediately) and the characters came around twice while we were there. The food was hot and good (I loved the BBQ chicken) too. Maybe it's bc we went during the off season? OP, I'm sorry your experience was so horrible! I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. :goodvibes

ladeeesquire
04-11-2012, 03:10 AM
we went for early morning breakfast in 9/2010, it was really bad. The food was bad (runny scrambled eggs, burned sausages, super messy buffet area, dried out looking waffles YUCK!!! But I don't recall the service being bad at all and the character interaction was what it normally is for these types of things: sign the book, quick photo and hug, off to the next table.

We're going to try it for breakfast again this sept because we'll be at wdw almost 2 weeks, my dd loves character meals, and this time we have the ddp so the cost doesn't bother me. If not, and because there are so many other choices, we'd probably pass. I'm hoping for a better experience this time accepting that it might not be.

One of my pet peeves of Chef Mickey's is that the entry photo is with a statue of mickey... seriously, what's up with that???

aubriee
04-11-2012, 04:45 AM
We won't be back either. We ate there during our recent Feb 4th-11th trip. Character interaction was really good that night. However, the buffet and service both sucked. We asked every waiter we saw for drink refills and never got them. Our plates stacked up and never were removed. Food was barely mediocre. What topped it for us though was the guy behind the buffet. I saw a little boy right in front of me, pick up a serving spoon, smell it, then licked it, then put it back. I almost croaked. There was a CM right behind the buffet refilling the container next to the little boy. He had to see it, but didn't even offer to remove the spoon or the container it was in. I picked the spoon up and gave it to him and told him I had seen the little boy lick the spoon and put it back. The CM just shrugged, said it happens all the time, and turned away with the empty container he had just replaced, never even offering to replace the other container the little boy had just contaminated. I motioned for another CM who came over and finally picked up the dish and replaced it.:sick:

crostorfer
04-11-2012, 10:41 AM
One of my pet peeves of Chef Mickey's is that the entry photo is with a statue of mickey... seriously, what's up with that???

That was one of the things that offended me so badly. That, the mashed potatoes, (those were POWDERED potatoes, I don't care what anyone says, I know the difference), the terribly poor food quality in general, and the fact that Mickey stayed on the polar opposite side of the room our entire meal. They don't distribute the characters evenly.

FWIW, we were there at 5:30pm in September. Early time, and off season.

Never, ever, ever, ever again. If we are going to eat a character meal, everywhere else is just vastly superior in every way.

tar heel
04-11-2012, 11:00 AM
We ate dinner there years ago, right after I first discovered the DIS. We thought it was Golden Corral quality and have never considered going again. We might do breakfast some time, but so far haven't.

When we went, people on the DIS had been raving about the parmesan mashed potatoes, so DH and I both got a pile of them. He took a bit, looked at me with a puzzled look on his face and said, "instant potatoes?"