PDA

View Full Version : Disney food/restaurants you too long to discover.

Destructsean
04-08-2012, 02:42 PM
I've been to WDW for the past three years, and upon finding this forum and becoming a full on Disney fanatic this past year, there is SO much food and SO many restaurants I had NO idea about. Now that I'm planning my honeymoon in WDW this December, I'm trying to incorporate all the things I've been missing out on.

Here are some things I've never tried/places I've never been:

How did someone on the dining plan for the last three years miss all of this?!?!

School bread
Anything from the caramel shop in Germany
Anything from Goofy's Candy Shop
Tonga Toast
Dole Whip
Ice Cream Sandwich from the MK
The cupcakes from Starring Rolls
Beignets (and we stayed at POR this past December!)

Le Cellier
Jiko
Boma

Anything you've been shocked that you didn't know about/are still awaiting trying?

CuteAsMinnie
04-08-2012, 05:34 PM
We completely missed Starring Rolla and will try it next trip.

But how in the World have you missed Dole Whip??:rotfl:

And

the Tollhouse Ice Cream Sandwich was the very first thi g DH and I got on our first trip together!:lmao:

Here's another to add to your list....
Frozen Latte at Main Street Bakery....best way to start a MK morning, begin a MK afternoon or end a MK day!!:cool1:

Destructsean
04-08-2012, 05:46 PM
I know!!!

I actually didn't even know about Dole While until I was at Disney Land and someone told me they had them at WDW too.

A frozen latte sounds like something I absolutely need to have on a hot day.

Bellamouse
04-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Until I found this board, we didn't know about MANY things!!

Cape May
Dole Whips
Captain Cook's

and lots of other stuff I can't think of right now.

Editing to add, I would say I learned about more food on the Disney Food Blog than here, but I found that blog from this board. LOVE that blog!

Some of items I learned about there that we love are:

stuffed pretzels
lobster rolls at CHH
Via Napoli
Karamell Kueche
CS in China (never knew that was there!)

And lots of others.

I also enjoy people's trip reviews on the Dining review board - the big threads with all the photos. SO many restaurants, foods, dishes I never heard of there. We have a mighty big list of things to eat now when we go to Disney! Don't know how we will fit it all in... :teeth:

We used to hate MK food until we found this board and CHH!! And Dole Whips! SO many trips to DW and never knew about Dole Whips until last year..... I feel like I had just fallen off the turnip truck LOL

BriarRosie
04-08-2012, 08:11 PM
If you're going to try Tonga Toast, you can save yourself a little money by going to Captain Cook's quick serve at the Polynesian, rather than the Kona Cafe. The new food items that are available now I've had a little bit of a chance to try.

Sleepy Hollow Refreshments (at the junction between Main Street and Liberty Square) has waffle sandwiches. There's a breakfast one not on the menu, which I had with eggs, cheese, prosciutto and tomatoes inside the folded waffle. It was ok, but I'd rather try the others on the menu. Most notably the Nutella and fruit waffle. Sounds tasty. :cloud9:

I tell people who want a quick lunch and are able to stand at the bar at the Rose and Crown Pub to order the English Bulldog sandwich. It's a sinful sausage bun topped with mustard, mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese. It's a guilty pleasure.

Destructsean
04-08-2012, 08:19 PM
If you're going to try Tonga Toast, you can save yourself a little money by going to Captain Cook's quick serve at the Polynesian, rather than the Kona Cafe. The new food items that are available now I've had a little bit of a chance to try.

Sleepy Hollow Refreshments (at the junction between Main Street and Liberty Square) has waffle sandwiches. There's a breakfast one not on the menu, which I had with eggs, cheese, prosciutto and tomatoes inside the folded waffle. It was ok, but I'd rather try the others on the menu. Most notably the Nutella and fruit waffle. Sounds tasty. :cloud9:

I tell people who want a quick lunch and are able to stand at the bar at the Rose and Crown Pub to order the English Bulldog sandwich. It's a sinful sausage bun topped with mustard, mashed potatoes and cheddar cheese. It's a guilty pleasure.

We're still debating a meal at the Kona Cafe, so getting the Tonga Toast QS might be the option we go with.

I've been reading about these waffle sandwiches, so trust me, they are on the list. :D The chicken one is more my speed, I think.

I think we have enough quick lunch/snack ideas in Epcot to fill an entire vacation, but if we make it to the Rose and Crown sober enough to be thinking about food (we start our drinking at Mexico and go clockwise :thumbsup2,) I'll look for it.

bcrook
04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
I have been to WDW lots of times, and didn't even know the Captains Grille existed until last week. I thought it was a counter service place. Maybe I was getting it mixed up with Captain Cooks! :confused3

But the menu at Captain's Grille looks fantastic, and I want to try breakfast there and that lobster roll for lunch. Even the steaks for dinner look good.

The kicker is that I stay at the Beach Club most every trip. It is fun to still be able to find new things to try.

Destructsean
04-09-2012, 01:37 PM
I have been to WDW lots of times, and didn't even know the Captains Grille existed until last week. I thought it was a counter service place. Maybe I was getting it mixed up with Captain Cooks! :confused3

But the menu at Captain's Grille looks fantastic, and I want to try breakfast there and that lobster roll for lunch. Even the steaks for dinner look good.

The kicker is that I stay at the Beach Club most every trip. It is fun to still be able to find new things to try.

We've never eaten there either. I've heard good things though.

figment_jii
04-09-2012, 03:43 PM
For me, it was the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake at LTT - for some reason I thought it was some form of bread pudding (which I don't like) and so I avoided it. Had the DxDP last trip so we decided to give it a try (because it's so popular here on the DIS) and, wow, was it good! Not a bread pudding at all!

Other favorites that were recently (or semi-recently) discovered:
Cupcakes as Kusafari Bakery (AK) - white elephant, zebra, paw print brownie
Caramel Ginger Ice Cream at Lotus Blossom Cafe (China, Epcot)
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies at Sunshine Seasons (Land, Epcot)