PDA

View Full Version : Warning on fantasmic dinner package

simonsmom
04-07-2012, 09:44 PM
If no one has posted yet. We are not on dining plan, when we showed up at Mama Melrose for our reservations tonight they informed me that they have changed things. It will be $35 per person to eat and get fantasmic package. That will include appetizer and dessert. But we were not that hungry. If you don't pay that price you don't get the fantasmic seating

MBELSANTI
04-07-2012, 10:04 PM
If no one has posted yet. We are not on dining plan, when we showed up at Mama Melrose for our reservations tonight they informed me that they have changed things. It will be $35 per person to eat and get fantasmic package. That will include appetizer and dessert. But we were not that hungry. If you don't pay that price you don't get the fantasmic seating

That really stinks.:headache: I had my reservation for Mama Melrose package in June and was looking forward to it as it is on TS that I have never been to. But I don't want to be restricted to paying that much especially since I was only able to get noon seating time! For DS and I to spend $70 I would rather try someplace at the Swan where we're staying. Thanks for the heads up!

M5ward
04-07-2012, 10:29 PM
The Fantasmic Dining Package is a fixed price meal that offers guaranteed seating for the show. While the price includes an appetizer and dessert, you don't have to order or eat them if you aren't that hungry; but the price of the meal is the same with or without them.

Fantasmic Lunch Package
The Hollywood Brown Derby (price range due to seasonal pricing)
Adults (ages 10 and up) = $50* - $58
Children (ages 3-9) = $13 - $19

Mama Melrose’s Ristorante Italiano (price range due to seasonal pricing)
Adults (ages 10 and up) = $35* - $38
Children (ages 3-9) = $13

Hollywood & Vine (price range due to seasonal pricing)
Adults (ages 10 and up) = $26 - $37
Children (ages 3 - 9) = $15 - $20
NOTE:* If there are two scheduled performances in one night, this package will only grant you reserved seating for the first performance.*

Fantasmic Dinner Package
Hollywood Brown Derby(price range due to seasonal pricing)

Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano(price range due to seasonal pricing)

Hollywood & Vine(price range due to seasonal pricing)
Adults (ages 10 and up) = $29* - $40

TinkerbellinLouisian
04-07-2012, 10:47 PM
I don't understand the concern....:confused3

I have my Mama Melrose Fantasmic Dining package booked for :thumbsup2

5/28 5:05 pm MM F! - 1TS 4200 XXXX XXXX OOP $229.98

That sounds just about right.... It's 6 "Adults".....

I was told the cost up front... not a surprise at all....:cool1:

I LOVE THE F! dining package !

Mary

smitch425
04-07-2012, 11:04 PM

Sorry you were not aware of the price when you booked. Did you book by phone or online? The reason I ask is because I just went through a mock booking on the dining reservations site and did not see it listed anywhere that it was a set price meal. I wonder why it doesn't say anything about that? :confused: I know that it has been a set price meal for a long, long time, but the website should let people know. I hope the rest of your trip goes well!

purple figment
04-07-2012, 11:09 PM

This is not a change. The Fantasmic dining package has been offered at a fixed price for years. The price has risen over the years, but the basic concept hasn't changed.

POOHsie
04-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Sorry I don't know this. Does the Fantasmic dinner package include tax and tip, or are they added to the package price?

navywifetill2002
04-08-2012, 12:17 AM
The Fantasmic Dining Package is a fixed price meal that offers guaranteed seating for the show. While the price includes an appetizer and dessert, you don't have to order or eat them if you aren't that hungry; but the price of the meal is the same with or without them.

Fantasmic Lunch Package

NOTE:* If there are two scheduled performances in one night, this package will only grant you reserved seating for the first performance.*

Fantasmic Dinner Package

FYI...

I saw your post and got very excited as we are eating at Hollywood & Vine for lunch and thought maybe I could get the Fantasmic Package instead but when I went to check on it found out Hollywood & Vine only has the package for dinner. Here's the Fantasmic Meal Package link...http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/fantasmic-meal-packages/

MBELSANTI
04-08-2012, 06:04 AM

Fantasmic Lunch Package

Fantasmic Dinner Package

HI,

Where did you get the above information because I went back and read every word of what it says online on Disney's website for the Fantasmic package and it doesn't give any of this information.:confused3

Hopefully
04-08-2012, 06:37 AM

Sorry you didn't know this, but it is not new.
No need for a "Warning"

NancyIL
04-08-2012, 06:56 AM
I did the Fantasmic Dinner Package at Hollywood & Vine in April 2002, so it has been around for at least 10 years.

KAB1
04-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Do they accept the dining plan for the fantasmic package???? If they do is it 1 or 2 credits????

StitchandPooh'sMom
04-08-2012, 08:28 AM

Sorry you were surprised, but this is not a recent change. We did the F! Dining package at MM several years ago and paid out of pocket. It was about the same price, and you could order any entree, appetizer and dessert. You can book an ADR and order what you want if you just want to eat there, but as others have posted, the F! dining package is a fixed price.

Do they accept the dining plan for the fantasmic package???? If they do is it 1 or 2 credits????

Yes, you can use the DDP. MM and H&V are one credit, and HBD is two credits.

LBlovesM&WDW
04-08-2012, 08:29 AM

Yes they do. It is 1 credit for MM and H&V, but 2 credits for HBD.

simonsmom
04-08-2012, 08:30 AM
I made the reservation months ago online. It did not say anything about a fixed price.even the girl at the podium acknowledged this and told me that is why she was telling me at check in

smitch425
04-08-2012, 10:29 AM
No need for a "Warning"

Maybe there is for people who are new (or even people who have been posting here since 1999--see post #2). I don't know why they have absolutely nothing on the Disney site that states that it is a fixed price meal or even that you get an app, entree, or dessert. At the very least, it should say so when you are making the actual reservation online. I want to say that being able to book the Fantasmic package online is a fairly recent thing, and that it used to be the only way you could book was by phone. When you book by phone, I think they tell you about the way it works, but I went through the booking process last night online and there was no mention of anything having to do with fixed price or what food was included.

OP, I think you should email or call guest services and let them know what happened. Perhaps they don't realize that the online system does not include that information.

dawnhaze
04-08-2012, 11:13 AM
This thread was very informative for me as well - I came across no mention of it being a fixed price meal in my research. That's good to know... :thumbsup2

Mrs D
04-08-2012, 11:34 AM
I didn't know this! I was looking at booking an F! package on my Feb trip when I wasn't on DDP. I've always wanted to try the Brown Derby and I had planned to share an entree and or perhaps have an app & dessert only.
There was no availability when I wanted an ADR so I never booked it. Now I'm glad I didn't.

PoohsFan1
04-08-2012, 11:37 AM

Like others have already said, H&V and MM are 1 credit while HBD is 2. However, you may want to note that when you book the F dining package, and you book it online, you will have to pay for it upfront (like at CRT), however, if you don't want to pay up front then give the dining line a call and let them know you have the DDP, they will ask for a CC# to hold the reservation, but it will not get charged unless you don't show up...not sure if they do the late fee policy for F package or not.

Fire14
04-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Like others have already said, H&V and MM are 1 credit while HBD is 2. However, you may want to note that when you book the F dining package, and you book it online, you will have to pay for it upfront (like at CRT), however, if you don't want to pay up front then give the dining line a call and let them know you have the DDP, they will ask for a CC# to hold the reservation, but it will not get charged unless you don't show up...not sure if they do the late fee policy for F package or not.

Directly from online booking:
This reservation requires a credit card guarantee. Please provide your card information below. Your card will not be charged at this time.

And this was in Terms that you have to agree to
<LI class=group>Payment and Cancellation Policies

There is a 2-day cancellation policy and a $10 per-person charge if you cancel within 2 days of the reservation or are a "no show" for the reservation.
Payment or credit card guarantee is required at the time of booking.
If applicable, a gratuity of 18% will be automatically added for parties of 6 or more.

NancyIL
04-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Disney's web site is certainly vague about the details: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/fantasmic-meal-packages/. However, before I booked something with the word "package" in it, I would want to know the price and what was included.

TiggerTrigger
04-08-2012, 03:21 PM
The info on this out there is definitely on the vague side. We did it back in 2010 and while I had every intention to eat and was using a DDP credit for the meal, I didn't know how it worked until I was literally sitting at the table in Mama Melrose.

Bellamouse
04-08-2012, 03:25 PM
I had no idea this was a "prix fixe" meal, and that all courses were included. We are a group of four and wonder if it's worth it to pay for 4 appetizers and 4 desserts if we all don't want them and some choose not to get them.

I also have a beef with Disney's description (or lack of description). NO WHERE does it say that this is a pre-set price and pre-set number of courses (click the link in the above post and see for yourself). Even when I called no one mentioned this to me. I just assumed we would order off the menu as usual. I specifically asked if there was an extra charge for doing Fantasmic! and the representative said no. But clearly there is, if you can't just order a la carte off the menu and have to pay a pre-set price :(

So my question to those who have done this, is it worth having the preferred seating to do the package, or should I just book a regular reservation and take my chances with getting a decent seat for the show without the vouchers.

We are going first week of October if it helps to know that.

Thanks.

CuteAsMinnie
04-08-2012, 04:17 PM
I think the prices are ridiculous for the sub par TS restaurants at DHS. We never participate.

Bellamouse
04-08-2012, 04:59 PM
OK that's an unhelpful response :rolleyes:

We want to eat at HBD no matter what, and I'm just wondering if the fantasmic package part is worth the extra cost. Meaning, are the reserved seats for the show worth paying for (not the meal). Maybe someone who likes HBD can give me an opinion.

OllieDannyandMe
04-08-2012, 05:36 PM

We want to eat at HBD no matter what, and I'm just wondering if the fantasmic package part is worth the extra cost. Meaning, are the reserved seats for the show worth paying for (not the meal). Maybe someone who likes HBD can give me an opinion.

If you are eating at HBD no matter what, then yes, I would say the convenience is worth it. It is nice knowing that you do not need to wait for a super long time in that line for a decent seat. Your time spent in line can be much less. However, the seats are not so great to me that it would be worth the expense of eating somewhere that I was not already planning on eating. A little extra expense to have someone hold decent seats is a nice benefit. Those seats are not worth big bucks, though.

Tikitoi
04-08-2012, 05:44 PM
5/28 5:05 pm MM F! - 1TS 4200 XXXX XXXX OOP $229.98

Mary

:rotfl:

disneyfav4ever
04-08-2012, 06:27 PM
The FDP has always been a set price, at least since 2005. Mama's has changed what's included a bit since then, but the cost has always been about the same, and it's never been a la carte dining.

I think that's fair. As a business Disney doesn't want people to be able to just come in and just order the cheapest thing. Since the dining package seating is always full, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

BriarRosie
04-08-2012, 06:50 PM
I did the Fantasmic Dining Package pre-Disney Dining Plan. (The show was canceled due to weather, but we still had the prix fixe meal.) This pre-dates the online booking system, so the phone agent did mention what the package includes. If this comes to people as a surprise, I might as well bring up the Candlelight Processional Dining Package during the holidays. That also is a fixed price meal similar in scope to the Fantasmic package.

No, it doesn't state it online, and that's a problem that Disney should fix. Because online booking has only been around for 6 months or so, most people were getting the correct information from the phone agents.

I hope the info in this thread will help others who choose to book online.

CuteAsMinnie
04-08-2012, 07:05 PM

O maybe this reponse will be more helpful....:rolleyes:

Enjoy a wonderful dinner at HBD! If a reserved seat is important to you, the extra cost most certainly is worth paying for!!

Enjoy! :flower3:

crashbb
04-08-2012, 07:06 PM
I made the reservation months ago online. It did not say anything about a fixed price.even the girl at the podium acknowledged this and told me that is why she was telling me at check in

It was that way when we did it in January 2011.

OllieDannyandMe
04-08-2012, 07:16 PM
O maybe this reponse will be more helpful....:rolleyes:

Enjoy a wonderful dinner at HBD! If a reserved seat is important to you, the extra cost most certainly is worth paying for!!

Enjoy! :flower3:

I don't think she was referring to your post as unhelpful. It was the one above your post that was rather strange.

SgtClaymore
04-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Well that stinks my girl and I went there and it cost me $170 with tip! I gotta say tho, it was pretty delicious...:thumbsup2

Bellamouse
04-08-2012, 08:05 PM
No, it was her post that I was referring to. Telling me that the food is subpar and not worth paying for was not my question.

And never having seen the Fantasmic show before, nor having ever eaten at HBD, I don't know if the reserved seating IS that important or not - that is what I am asking. So your replies (CuteAsMinnie) so far haven't answered my questions. Sorry.

I will rephrase the question, maybe that will make it easier.

We want to eat at HBD (despite the fact that it's overpriced, subpar food :rolleyes: ). The question is, do we get a regular reservation and just eat what we want (as opposed to paying for an app, entree and dessert for each person which we probably don't really want that much), and then go into general seating for Fantasmic

or

Do we get the Fantasmic package and potentially pay more than we would have if we ordered a la carte just to get the reserved seating. Is the extra we would pay for the set price worth the reserved seating. I can't exactly quantify how much extra it would be to do the package becauase a) I don't know how much it is per person, and b) I don't know exactly what everyone would order. I'm thinking I would only want Cobb salad and grapefruit cake. No entree. And I'm also thinking someone else in our party would order similarly. So that's basically two entrees to pay for that we wouldn't actually order/eat. That seems like a lot just for reserved seating. This is where I don't know what the "value" of those reserved seats are. Never having been, I don't know if it's really that crowded that time of year, or how awful waiting in the line is, or how much better of a seat the reserved seating is, etc. This is my dilemma.

One person said it basically is worth it, but I'm looking for more opinions.

Thanks again.

Oh, and one more thing - thank you simonsmom (OP) for the "warning". I would never have known about the set price thing at all unless you posted it. So for me, it was a good warning indeed. I'm sure there are others like me. I don't mind paying for stuff at Disney, I just like to know about what I'm getting into in advance and then deciding if I really want it badly enough or not. So this info helps a lot. Too bad their website says nothing about it!!

longing4disney
04-08-2012, 08:24 PM

The Fantasmic package was already fixed price when we went in 2007. We are international visitors and knew it was fixed price as it was stated in the Disney website. I can understand why it is fixed price. Otherwise guest can just order a drink and dessert and expect to get the show tickets. Sorry, you did not know before hand. Hope you still got to see the show.

PoohsFan1
04-08-2012, 08:49 PM
Directly from online booking:
This reservation requires a credit card guarantee. Please provide your card information below. Your card will not be charged at this time.

And this was in Terms that you have to agree to
<LI class=group>Payment and Cancellation Policies

There is a 2-day cancellation policy and a $10 per-person charge if you cancel within 2 days of the reservation or are a "no show" for the reservation.
Payment or credit card guarantee is required at the time of booking.
If applicable, a gratuity of 18% will be automatically added for parties of 6 or more.

Thanks for the information...it's good to know for next time, for some reason I thought I was told that it will automatically charge my cc, I guess I was wrong. Sorry OP for the wrong info.

TinkerbellinLouisian
04-08-2012, 09:01 PM
Fantasmic Dining Plan:

For what it's worth.... I've done Hollywood & Vine Dining plan 2x. (DDP)

DS and I did Hollywood Brown Derby Dining plan in May 2010. (OOP)

(We have MM F! Booked May 2012 OOP)

As far as Fantasmic: We go to WDW during the very busiest of times !:lmao:

In my opinion it is WELL worth it. I was completely SOLD on the F! Plan our first time using it. (Entrances have changed from time to time)

The kids absolutely felt like VIPS going through the "secret" entrance. When we saw the lines... my jaw dropped. Unbelieveable that we skipped those horrible lines. The seats? Awesome... have NO Problem with the seats.

On the Dining Plan, the F! addition costs nothing more. OOP, it may cost more depending on what you order. I think it is Fair for WDW to expect folks not to get a scaled back meal to enjoy the F! Dining benefits.

So I felt we got our $ worth for F! dining.

However, we did NOT Enjoy our meal at HBD. Some of the offerings however have changed.

For this reason... I do plan to give HBD another chance in May 2012... but particularly because we have Imagineers Dining booked.

Have a magical trip Everyone !

Mary

Bellamouse
04-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Fantasmic Dining Plan:

For what it's worth.... I've done Hollywood & Vine Dining plan 2x. (DDP)

DS and I did Hollywood Brown Derby Dining plan in May 2010. (OOP)

(We have MM F! Booked May 2012 OOP)

As far as Fantasmic: We go to WDW during the very busiest of times !:lmao:

In my opinion it is WELL worth it. I was completely SOLD on the F! Plan our first time using it. (Entrances have changed from time to time)

The kids absolutely felt like VIPS going through the "secret" entrance. When we saw the lines... my jaw dropped. Unbelieveable that we skipped those horrible lines. The seats? Awesome... have NO Problem with the seats.

On the Dining Plan, the F! addition costs nothing more. OOP, it may cost more depending on what you order. I think it is Fair for WDW to expect folks not to get a scaled back meal to enjoy the F! Dining benefits.

So I felt we got our $ worth for F! dining.

However, we did NOT Enjoy our meal at HBD. Some of the offerings however have changed.

For this reason... I do plan to give HBD another chance in May 2012... but particularly because we have Imagineers Dining booked.

Have a magical trip Everyone !

Mary

Thank you, that is helpful!

We always pay OOP - we stay offsite so don't do DDP.

I don't know if the lines will be like what you experienced when we go in October. But I do like the "VIP" thing :teeth: and I do hate lines, so that's definitely a big consideration for us.

I understand now why they do what they do - as someone who doesn't try to "scam" the system, and doesn't even think in those terms, it wouldn't occur to me to go to a restaurant and order an appetizer or something and expect the special passes.

That said, there is no time when I order an app, an entree and a dessert. I just don't eat that much, ever. I might order a salad and an app, or just an entree, or DH and I might split an app along with an entree each or something like that. We might split one dessert if there's something amazing we have to have. But for all four of us to each have an app, an entree AND a dessert just sounds like way too much food (And it's not about the money - if I could eat that, I would order it - it's vacation!). So I think it's kind of a bummer that I'm forced to either order and eat it or pay for (even if I don't order) stuff I simply can't eat. It's not like you can take a doggie bag either.

So I will just have to keep considering what I want to do. I have some time to think about it :)

Thanks for the good info though.

raidermatt
04-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Interesting, I remember when it changed to price fixe quite a few years ago. But on Disney's website for the FDP it actually says "a la carte". It's in the box on the right side of the screen.

Despite the length of my email confirmation, there is nothing in there either about the meal being price fixe.

I can understand why some who are new to the FDP are confused.

As for whether the FDP is worth it, you will get different answers.

For me the answer is a qualified yes. If you are set on seeing the first show (or the only show if it's a one show night) and don't want to arrive more than 45 minutes early, I think it's worth it.

It's not valid for the 2nd show, so obviously there's no point to it if you are going to see that 2nd show of the night.

If you want to get center seats and don't mind arriving more than 45 minutes early, then the the FDP won't be best for you. How early you will need to arrive will vary depending on the night.

But for us, the view from the center isn't really any better than the side sections so we go ahead and do the FDP if we want to see that first show. But when there is a 2nd show we do that and just cancel the FDP (according to Disney's cancellation policy of course).

MBELSANTI
04-08-2012, 10:52 PM
I am with the OP because when you do to Disney's site to book the reservation, below is what is posted for the Fantasmic show and it doesn't say anything about fixed price. It also says that service is a la carte.
:confused3

Delight in traditional Italian cooking with contemporary flavors at Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano—a colorful, casual and family-friendly restaurant located in the heart of the backlot at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park. Here, you'll take in the sights of Mama's favorite Hollywood memories as you savor the sumptuous aromas and flavors of Italy.

Choose from a variety of delectable dishes, from brick-oven-fired flatbread pizzas to oak-grilled steaks and seafood. Mama's favorites include seasonal pasta creations, crispy calamari and—her signature—chicken alla parmigiana. There's something to satisfy every taste!

For a refreshing complement to the meal, Guests ages 21 and older can enjoy a carafe of Mama's sangria, a cold beer or a glass of wine.

Buon appetite!
The Fantasmic! Dining Package
When making lunch or dinner reservations for Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano, book the Fantasmic! Dining Package to receive designated seating during this spectacular nighttime show at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park. Witness up close the heroic struggle of Mickey, as he faces Disney villains in this lavish spectacle sure to thrill the whole family. Make reservations online or by calling (407) WDW-DINE or (407) 939-3463 up to 180 days in advance. Guests under age 18 must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Guest Policies
•Specialty celebration cakes are available for an additional charge and should be ordered 48 hours in advance by calling (407) 827-2253.
•This location can accommodate most special dietary needs. Advance notice may be required and cancellation fees may apply. Please indicate any special dietary need at time of reservation booking. Learn more about how we can help accommodate special dietary needs.

$$ ($15 to $35.99)

Price per person*

Cuisine:
Italian

Lunch

Experience:
Casual Dining

Service:
A la Carte

Price Level:
$$ ($15 to $35.99)

Dinner

Experience:
Casual Dining

Service:
A la Carte

Price Level:
$$ ($15 to $35.99)

Sample Menus**

Dessert

Kids

Lunch & Dinner

** Menu items and prices are subject to change without notice.

Fire14
04-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Ok I got a question that maybe someone can answer for me:
At MM doing FDP: Last Time we did it, we had special menu where we chose 1 Flatbread for table, an entree for each, and I believe dessert, this has changed correct?

I personally prefer to do FDP at Hollywood and vine as it's buffet ( same price without pkg) and food is good IMO.

NancyIL
04-09-2012, 07:39 AM
Interesting, I remember when it changed to price fixe quite a few years ago. But on Disney's website for the FDP it actually says "a la carte". It's in the box on the right side of the screen.

I don't recall it being anything but fixed price. We ate at Hollywood and Vine in 2002 because it was the least expensive of the 3 options. The only change I recall is that lunch is now an option, whereas it was only dinner when it first began.

valeriemouse
04-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Even though I've been to Disney a bunch, I've barely done Fantasmic (once, standing room only in the back), or Mama Melrose, so I'm out of my element!

I am on the regular DP and have a ressie for a MM F! Package in June. Now, that DP does not come with appetizers. This is the first I'm hearing that its not an ala carte situation, so I have questions . . .

1. Can I order from anything on the menu, or is there a special menu for those with the package.

2. Do we get appetizers?

Thanks for any info you can provide! :goodvibes

Mom23Disneybelievers
04-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Even though I've been to Disney a bunch, I've barely done Fantasmic (once, standing room only in the back), or Mama Melrose, so I'm out of my element!

I am on the regular DP and have a ressie for a MM F! Package in June. Now, that DP does not come with appetizers. This is the first I'm hearing that its not an ala carte situation, so I have questions . . .

1. Can I order from anything on the menu, or is there a special menu for those with the package.

2. Do we get appetizers?

Thanks for any info you can provide! :goodvibes

Yes, you can order anything off of the menu and you will also get to pick an appetizer.

nemofans
04-09-2012, 01:17 PM
HBD is the only restaurant we are willing to eat at in DHS. We eat there every trip. This trip, we booked it w/the F! pkg so we can avoid that line. I LOVE the cobb salad & look forward to getting to eat it again! For us it's worth it b/c we eat there anyway & now we can see F! w/o wasting lots of time in the line.
My only concern is that we were limited on the menu choices so I am glad that's not the case. When we eat at nicer restaurants, we usually order appet, entree, & dessert anyway so it's no diff for us.

Dizney73
04-09-2012, 08:39 PM
We love the F! Dining package! We waited in that over crowded cattle corral 2 summers ago and swore we would never do it again! So....last summer we booked MM for a 3:30 dinner. We ordered an app, entree and dessert each and it was so good we automatically booked again for this past February 2012 again at MM. Thus time, however, We could irder our own app and entree but were forced to share a plate of premade desserts. There were 3 small desserts on the plate for 4 adults! I was disappointed in that change! My 2 kuds had wonderful desserts and they ended up sharing with us! I don't know if this has changed for good or we jyst happened to be there during a test period.

Tonka's Skipper
04-10-2012, 06:42 AM

That is NOT new.it was that way in February 2011 when we went! Its a complete meal, your choice from the menu(excpet for one item which I don't remember)......app, main course and dessert..and it was very good!

AKK

smitch425
04-10-2012, 08:06 AM
That is NOT new.it was that way in February 2011 when we went! Its a complete meal, your choice from the menu(excpet for one item which I don't remember)......app, main course and dessert..and it was very good!

AKK

I am guessing that you did not read the entire thread prior to posting, but the problem OP had is that the Disney dining website says absolutely nothing about this package being a fixed price meal. In fact, it is described as "a la carte" dining. That is why OP posted it as a warning, and apparently, several other people in this thread had no idea it was fixed price either. :sad2:

diskids2
04-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I didn't realize how many folks didn't know about the price fix on F! dinner packages, so :goodvibes to the OP for bringing it up.

We go back and forth about the F! package. This summer will be our third time booking it, but we seem to do it every other year.

Summer is always crowded, but you still have to get to the line about 45 minutes earlier than the show. This is compared to the 2 plus hours before on the regular line. So that is a benefit, IMHO.

The seating is on the side of the theater not dead center. It's not bad seating, but I'm just bringing that up.

Not sure when you are going but if there is a later show ( and that works for you), we have found that we can get online in the summer about an hour to 1.5 hours ahead and sit where we want. Sometimes we go that route.

WDW-PRINCESS
04-10-2012, 01:22 PM
I am confused now...
I was under the impression that if you got the F! Pkage at the BD, you did NOT have to pay for a package deal (with entree + dessert) but that you you could order a la carte (just an entree or whatever). I called disney dining and they seemed to confirm this. What am I missing?

I booked the F! package b/c even though I don't like the seats, I figured we were eating there anyways, so I might as well get them...thinking we were not going to have to pay a fixed price...

NancyIL
04-10-2012, 02:43 PM
I am confused now...
I was under the impression that if you got the F! Pkage at the BD, you did NOT have to pay for a package deal (with entree + dessert) but that you you could order a la carte (just an entree or whatever). I called disney dining and they seemed to confirm this. What am I missing?

I booked the F! package b/c even though I don't like the seats, I figured we were eating there anyways, so I might as well get them...thinking we were not going to have to pay a fixed price...
The Fantasmic Dinner Package is a fixed price at the Brown Derby - even if you order just an entree.

**I just called Disney Dining and asked for the prices of the Fantasmic Packages. Prices include tax but not tip.

Mama Melrose: $38.33 adult/$12.77 child - lunch and dinner are the same

Brown Derby: $60.77 adult/$18.10 child - lunch and dinner are the same

Hollywood and Vine: $36.20 adult/$21.29 child - dinner only

WDW-PRINCESS
04-10-2012, 03:02 PM
The Fantasmic Dinner Package is a fixed price at the Brown Derby - even if you order just an entree.

**I just called Disney Dining and asked for the prices of the Fantasmic Packages. Prices include tax but not tip.

Mama Melrose: $38.33 adult/$12.77 child - lunch and dinner are the same

Brown Derby: $60.77 adult/$18.10 child - lunch and dinner are the same

Hollywood and Vine: $36.20 adult/$21.29 child - dinner only

Thank you!

This is very confusing...I am someone that does my research, but this one threw me for sure :)

NancyIL
04-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Thank you!

So this price, includes entree + dessert + drink + tax....no tip?

This is very confusing...I am someone that does my research, but this one threw me for sure :)

I asked only for prices, and they include tax but not tip.

This is the info on the DIS: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/fantasmic.htm

sharon_wv
04-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I booked the F! Package at MM for June. I did a lot of research (or so I thought) about it and nowhere did I see it was a fixed price meal. I am doing the DDP so I guess it doesn't matter and actually makes it a better "deal" on DDP since its one credit and you get an appetizer too. I was thinking it wasn't a good deal since the dinners are relatively inexpensive compared to other restaurants in Disney. Thanks for the "warning" OP. I got educated today about my ADR.

tarheelmjfan
04-10-2012, 03:58 PM
I am guessing that you did not read the entire thread prior to posting, but the problem OP had is that the Disney dining website says absolutely nothing about this package being a fixed price meal. In fact, it is described as "a la carte" dining. That is why OP posted it as a warning, and apparently, several other people in this thread had no idea it was fixed price either. :sad2 :

AKK

I agree that WDW has once again dropped the ball on providing pertinent info. :rolleyes1 I think the thing smitch may be referring to is the fact the OP was told "they had changed things" (his words). There hasn't been a change. It's always been this way. So as smitch said, this is not new. I'm surprised so many people who post here didn't know this either. I guess we've heard about it so much, I just assumed they did. It's good the OP posted a warning to let others know. It's just not a new policy.

TDC Nala
04-10-2012, 04:01 PM
the OP probably thought a change had been made since they researched on Disney's website, which didn't make it clear that the meal was a fixed price. In reality, no change was made. The website just wasn't clear from the beginning.

MBELSANTI
04-10-2012, 08:59 PM
the OP probably thought a change had been made since they researched on Disney's website, which didn't make it clear that the meal was a fixed price. In reality, no change was made. The website just wasn't clear from the beginning.

Agreed on the fact that the website is not clear! I guess I need to check with DS and see if he really wants to go see F! badly...I already cancelled my MM package though. :rolleyes:

aubriee
04-11-2012, 04:25 AM
The Fantasmic package was already fixed price when we went in 2007. We are international visitors and knew it was fixed price as it was stated in the Disney website. I can understand why it is fixed price. Otherwise guest can just order a drink and dessert and expect to get the show tickets. Sorry, you did not know before hand. Hope you still got to see the show.

It was a fixed price way back in 2005. It's not new or anything to warn anyone about.:confused3 At Mama Melrose and Brown Derby it's always been an appetizer, entree, and dessert and of course Hollywood and Vine has always had it as a buffet (one of the worst buffets on property by the way:rotfl:). Nothing has changed.:confused3 No way would they let someone go in and order say just a soda and maybe an appetizer and let them have those Fantasmic seat vouchers. They expect you to order all three courses and they charge you a set price to make sure you do. You can order less if you want, but they are going to get the same amount of money out of you as if you had ordered three courses.

TDC Nala
04-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Apparently there are those who wanted to go for the Fantasmic package and only order an appetizer because they didn't want to eat much, and weren't aware that they would be paying for the full meal no matter what they ordered.

I've seen some people say they don't want the meal, just the Fantasmic vouchers, and wondered if they could sign up, and go get the Fantasmic vouchers and not eat the meal. Not without paying for the full meal...

NancyIL
04-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Apparently there are those who wanted to go for the Fantasmic package and only order an appetizer because they didn't want to eat much, and weren't aware that they would be paying for the full meal no matter what they ordered.

I've seen some people say they don't want the meal, just the Fantasmic vouchers, and wondered if they could sign up, and go get the Fantasmic vouchers and not eat the meal. Not without paying for the full meal...

I can't imagine anything would make Disney happier than people paying for the Fantasmic package and ordering nothing! :lmao:

TDC Nala
04-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Well, that was the idea...they didn't want to pay for it. They just wanted the vouchers. Or they wanted to do what was mentioned previously, just pay for a drink or dessert and still get the vouchers. It's probably good that we've got a thread making it clear that guests can't do that. I believe there probably are some that pay for the full meal and then don't order it because they just want the vouchers.

Bellamouse
04-11-2012, 09:05 AM
It was a fixed price way back in 2005. It's not new or anything to warn anyone about.:confused3 At Mama Melrose and Brown Derby it's always been an appetizer, entree, and dessert and of course Hollywood and Vine has always had it as a buffet (one of the worst buffets on property by the way:rotfl:). Nothing has changed.:confused3 No way would they let someone go in and order say just a soda and maybe an appetizer and let them have those Fantasmic seat vouchers. They expect you to order all three courses and they charge you a set price to make sure you do. You can order less if you want, but they are going to get the same amount of money out of you as if you had ordered three courses.

Didn't you read this thread? While it may not be new, for those of us who have never done Fantasmic package before, the website says nothing about a fixed price. A warning IS necessary for those of us who have no other way of knowing this info. The website specifically says a la carte. So how else are we supposed to know this? Osmosis? Clearly the OP didn't know either and was surprised which is why they chose to give a warning.

While it would NEVER occur to me to go in and order a drink and appetizer and expect the vouchers, we simply cannot eat an appetizer, entree and dessert each. We never order that much in any restaurant, at any time. So knowing that you have to pay for it all whether you order/eat it or not is important information and I for one am glad someone warned me about it! I don't want an unhappy surprise when I get to the restaurant. That would leave a bad taste in my mouth. Now, knowing that info and if I still choose to go is a totally different story. I won't be unhappy/upset at all.

I am not questioning the "fairness" of the policy, I get why it's there. Just need correct info in order to make good planning decisions for our family.

BamaBornNemoNut
04-11-2012, 11:42 AM
How does the two-day clock work? The last time using a CC to secure the ADR, the policy was 48 hours prior to the ADR time.

So, my F! Package time is Tuesday @ 12:30pm. I understand 48 hours prior, but does two-days prior mean that I must cancel before midnight on Saturday to avoid the penalty?? That would mean that no matter what time on Tuesday, the deadline to cancel would be 11:59pm on Saturday, correct?

Is there somewhere that the cancellation policy is explained in terms of hours?
Plans do change and I just don't want to get caught.

Thanks

vinotinto
04-13-2012, 06:47 PM
For those who are wondering why does it say a la carte when it's a fixed price, the answer is, it's both.

You will be charged a set price for the Fantasmic package, which includes your reserved ticket and your meal, which includes app, entree, and dessert. You can order a la carte, from any of the app, entree and dessert choices. The word prix fixe conjures images of a set menu. The Fantasmic dinner package allows you to order any app, any entree and any dessert from the a la carte menu, which makes it an a la carte choice. For HBD, the adult price is something around $55. You can only order an app or dessert, but you will pay the full price of the package. I've posted a pic of the Fantasmic receipt, which shows that you are rung up not as "beef" or "salad" or "lamb" but as Fantasmic dinner package, but with the "upgrade" I can't seem to search anymore for the pic.

nemofans
04-13-2012, 09:05 PM
For those who are wondering why does it say a la carte when it's a fixed price, the answer is, it's both.

You will be charged a set price for the Fantasmic package, which includes your reserved ticket and your meal, which includes app, entree, and dessert. You can order a la carte, from any of the app, entree and dessert choices. The word prix fixe conjures images of a set menu. The Fantasmic dinner package allows you to order any app, any entree and any dessert from the a la carte menu, which makes it an a la carte choice. For HBD, the adult price is something around $55. You can only order an app or dessert, but you will pay the full price of the package. I've posted a pic of the Fantasmic receipt, which shows that you are rung up not as "beef" or "salad" or "lamb" but as Fantasmic dinner package, but with the "upgrade" I can't seem to search anymore for the pic.

That makes perfect sense. Prix fixe means a set menu w/only a few choices & the F! dinner pkg is not that. It's a set price, but you can order off the reg menu.

tinkerpea
04-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Thank you, that is helpful!

We always pay OOP - we stay offsite so don't do DDP.

I don't know if the lines will be like what you experienced when we go in October. But I do like the "VIP" thing :teeth: and I do hate lines, so that's definitely a big consideration for us.

I understand now why they do what they do - as someone who doesn't try to "scam" the system, and doesn't even think in those terms, it wouldn't occur to me to go to a restaurant and order an appetizer or something and expect the special passes.

That said, there is no time when I order an app, an entree and a dessert. I just don't eat that much, ever. I might order a salad and an app, or just an entree, or DH and I might split an app along with an entree each or something like that. We might split one dessert if there's something amazing we have to have. But for all four of us to each have an app, an entree AND a dessert just sounds like way too much food (And it's not about the money - if I could eat that, I would order it - it's vacation!). So I think it's kind of a bummer that I'm forced to either order and eat it or pay for (even if I don't order) stuff I simply can't eat. It's not like you can take a doggie bag either.

So I will just have to keep considering what I want to do. I have some time to think about it :)

Thanks for the good info though.

Why can you not take a doggie bag? plenty of people who can not eat the fullmeal at disney do this! Also they will put your dessert in a takeaway carton for you to enjoy later:thumbsup2

I just wanted to add to somethingabout what you said earlier about a poster not being helpful........Sometimes people just post their opinions in here whilst not refering to a PP question but just carrying on info for the thread( or posting a opinion about something that was said much earlier on) so if somebody posts something without QUOTING you it may be that they are doing just that not actually quoting you :)

Bellamouse
04-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Why can you not take a doggie bag?

I am not taking a doggie bag and carting around food in the heat and humidity for many hours before I could get it into refrigeration. If I were a local and going home right after dinner, I would definitely take a doggie bag.

But to eat dinner at 5 pm and not go back to our condo until 9 or 10 pm, there's no WAY I would eat any of that food anymore. Talk about food poisoning!

Also, when am I supposed to eat it? We are in the parks from early morning until late at night every day. Unless I get up and eat it in the middle of the night, there is no opportunity for me to eat those leftovers. So there is no point.

So while I'm sure it's quite possible to take a doggie bag, it's out of the question for me. Not to mention I don't want to carry it around either. We don't carry anything around. We have a small fanny pack and that's it. So I'd be stuck carrying around this bag of leftovers while trying to ride rides and so forth. No way.

Which is why it's important for us to only order what we know that we can reasonably eat at that moment. Which is why we often split entrees and share apps and desserts.

Houston86
04-16-2012, 11:17 PM
I am so glad I found this thread. We have table service meals everyday of our stay. Aloha is 2 credits and we are also doing a breakfast at Whispering Canyon. So we were trying to figure out which meals we wanted to use our DDP for and which one's we wanted to pay out of pocket for.
Originally thought we would pay OOP for MM and WC however, now that I know the fixed price I think we will just pay OOP for Aloha and upgrade to a category 1 seating and the rest of or resies will be on the dining plan. ;) It is amazing no matter how much you research you will always find something new on the disboards.:surfweb: Gotta love you all !!:love:

39CINDERELLA
04-17-2012, 10:18 AM
MM takes the TIW, but can you use it if you have a Fantasmic package? TIAprincess:

clanmcculloch
04-17-2012, 10:43 AM
MM takes the TIW, but can you use it if you have a Fantasmic package? TIAprincess:

The Fantasmic! Dinner Package is not eligible for a TiW discount.

Aidensmommy22
04-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Maybe someone can help me. I just booked Mama Melrose for dinner. Does it automatically come as a prefix fantasmic package price or can we just order anything off the menu without having the fantasmic package? When I made the reservation, it didn't say anything about fantasmic & it didn't make me give a credit card # either.

smitch425
04-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Maybe someone can help me. I just booked Mama Melrose for dinner. Does it automatically come as a prefix fantasmic package price or can we just order anything off the menu without having the fantasmic package? When I made the reservation, it didn't say anything about fantasmic & it didn't make me give a credit card # either.

The only way you would have a fantasmic package is if you specifically booked one. What you have booked is a regular dining reservation. You can order whatever you like and will only pay for what you actually order.:thumbsup2