PDA

View Full Version : Legoland not so wheelchair friendly

Michigan
04-07-2012, 08:41 PM
I was surprised to find out that Legoland being a new park only has one ride with an accessible car and even for that they had to find the key to make it accessible. They have an assistant card that allows you to use the exits but you are limited to using it on the same ride only 3 times in a day. However the Lego exhibits are spectacular.

Cheshire Figment
04-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Here is a report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2801110 based on several visits, including others comments. You might want to add to that thread.

Michigan
04-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Here is a report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2801110 based on several visits, including others comments. You might want to add to that thread.

Thanks I added the following to your thread,

Yesterday my very independent (small for her age) 14 year old daughter with spina bifida and I spent the afternoon at Legoland and to my suprise was very disappointed with their ride access. The disability guide says you need a helper and I now understand why. I had to lift her into everything except Lost Kingdom Adventure. That ride had a door that opened on it so she could slide from her chair to the seat however a key was required to open the door and the person putting people on the rides came over to me and said we can't find the key. My response was you only have one truly accessible ride and you can't find the key well I suggest you find it now and guess what they found it. On their version of test track she had to get out on the concrete and then get up into her chair because you can't get a chair close enough to the ride without the front wheels falling down into the open space between. Safari ride also had to much space between where her chair could be and the car so I had to lift her onto the ride and that pretty much summed up all the rides you need to lift the person and they know this that's why their guide says helper needed. They do have elevators to get you to rides that have stairs but again unless you can stand to enter the ride or have someone to lift you onto it you are out of luck. The ski show has a ramp to go up and they also have an elevator but they don't have specific wheelchair seating so the wheelchair just sits on the top row behind the bar and there are no companion seats so you can sit next to someone in a chair. I forgot the Island In the Sky is accessible.

To me it was very disappointing that the only thought to wheelchair access was to add elevators where stairs were and not to provide access once you reach the ride platform. Also that there was were some rides that if you were unable to stand were off limits with no sitting option.

Oh I almost forgot one of the skiers used a sit ski.

Cheshire Figment
04-08-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the update. Maybe Sue will put a link to that thread in the FAQs.