PDA

View Full Version : Fussy 10 year old

Mrs Hobbes
04-07-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm sure this has been asked many times before but I can't get the search to work so please humour me :goodvibes

My daughter is a fussy eater and barely eats enought to keep a sparrow alive. In WDW she pretty much lives off nuggets and hot dogs :headache: it is a nightmare!

Now I am not trying to pay child prices for her as I know she is a Disney adult but my question is if we got to restaurants such as The Royal Table will she be allowed to have the child's menu? I hate the idea of paying 59.99 for nuggets but I know she won't eat the adult menu!

Thanks for your help :)

tarheelmjfan
04-07-2012, 04:08 PM
You can probably get her a child's meal, but you'll still have to pay the adult price. I don't think there's any way around that.

CamoMama
04-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Are you on the dining plan or paying OOP? If OOP you may be able to order from the child's menu and not pay the adult price but on the DDP it will be an adult TS credit for certain, although they will provide an adult sized portion.

Cheshire Figment
04-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Any meal that is an All You Can Eat, which includes the buffet's, CRT Breakfast, Whispering Canyon Skillet, etc, is age-based. Ages 0-2 = Free, Ages 3-9 = Child price, Ages 10+ = adult price.

If it involved ordering from a menu, Disney will allow any age to order a child's meal at the child price.

danceteachermom
04-07-2012, 07:37 PM
I know at buffets and per plate meals you will need to pay by age. However we just got back with our own very picky 12 year old and here is what helped us:

-at count service places no one questioned me ordering for my DD off the children's menu in fact at WPE the CM even encouraged me to order off the child's menu in order to get a smaller portion of Mac and Cheese

-we often ordered meals and split them and still had food left over, we shared chicken nachos, beef nachos with beef on the side, salads, and pizza on a few occasions

-we packed some healthy snacks and took them into the park and she would have the snacks instead of a meal at QS locations

-Disney was AMAZING at accommodating very specific requests to help the meals be more suited to our DD. At Kona Cafe they gave her two bun bottoms for her Sandwhich since the top had seeds on it...at Siestas they created a veggie nachos for us and sold it to us for the price of chips and chees since she did not have meat. They were easy and pleasant and did not bat an eye at any special request.

Our DD will not eat hot dogs or nuggets...she could live on just salad, cheese, bread, and seafood. We have always exposed her to everything and for a long time made her try things she did not like. We have since relaxed and just let her be and in turn she has become more adventurous. I figure when she is hungry enough...she will eat. One odd discovery has been that a girl who won't touch a hot dog or much chicken will eat sushi. Go figure.

Good luck. I would maybe consider leaving off the pay by age places until she is older. Then you will not feel upset about it during your meals.

chartle
04-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Yep. Due to my oldest son this is why we don't do much TS at WDW. My 21 year old son. :scared1:

jojomoore
04-07-2012, 07:56 PM
My family visited WDW when my daughter and niece were 10 and 11. We were not on the Dining plan and both of them ordered from the Childrens menu at QS and TS meals the entire trip. We were most likely charged for an adult meal at buffets though.

If you are on the dining plan, when you present your key to the world card for TS meals to your server, i believe it will show that she is as adult. I have read here on the disboards where someone used the adult TS credits for the adult meals and pay out of pocket for a kids meal for their children and saved the TS credits for another meal. This is a really good idea. If i were to use the dining plan this is most likely what i would do because my daughter who is now twelve still wishes to eat kids meals at times as she is very finicky about spices, fish, etc.

We were on the dining plan when my daughter and her friend were both 9 yrs old and we were never questioned about quickservice meals. We just ordered what we wanted and were always deducted 4 QS credits. Im not sure if this is still, three years later, how it works or not.

Sharing meals as the previous poster mentioned would also be a good idea if your daughter eats small portions.

Mrs Hobbes
04-07-2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks everyone for your help :goodvibes

We haven't decided yet whether to the ddp although in all likelyhood we won't as we've just got back from a trip with qdp and it was way too much food!

I understand about having to pay adult prices and don't mind that really so long as she can still order from the kids menu :)

As for sharing this will work at some places but I'm guessing it wouldn't be allowed at a buffet location!

Thanks again :wizard:

shyjade
04-09-2012, 02:54 PM
I have the same problem with my DD14. I remember paying adult price for her at CRT to eat buttered noodles (by special request) because there was nothing on the reglar menu she liked. Most expensive buttered noodles ever! :scared1:

I have learned to suck it up and try not to think about it at Disney. We're on vacation and I want her to enjoy what she eats (like I do) and if that means eating buttered noodles & chocolate cake at every meal, so be it.