PDA

View Full Version : Recent visits to 50s Prime Time

disneydreamingdebby
04-05-2012, 03:18 PM
I have read a couple of trip reports and listened to some podcasts where people stated that the Cast Members aren't "playing roles" anymore.

What was your experience the last time you were there? Also, what meal choices would you recommend or not recommend?

Thanks!:thumbsup2

meetmeatthepoly
04-05-2012, 03:37 PM
We ate at 50's last month and there were lots of shenanigans going on, including a grown man standing in the corner, our waiter telling us to "go wash our hands" and to "stay out of the kitchen."

I had the crab cake appetizer and the blue cheese wedge salad - both delicious.

My daughters shared the pot pie and really liked it!

starrPA
04-05-2012, 03:46 PM
we were there in March and it was hilarious. Yes, they are still doing their "thing." LOL

disneydreamingdebby
04-06-2012, 07:05 AM
It's great to hear some positive stories!

Does anyone think that a "certain" attitude or behavior helps to engage the Cms?

TokyoDizFan
04-06-2012, 07:58 AM
I always loved that place. Of course, the enthusiasm of your server may vary, and some are a lot better than others!

LGH1946
04-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Put your elbows on the table. That should get you some attention! The fried chicken is GREAT and the pot roast is SO good &
tender.. Ask for extra gravy!

Chelley00
04-06-2012, 10:03 AM
It depends on your server. We've had 2 great ones, and one total dud. You can ask the hostess for someone " who will be mean" if you want more interaction. I did our on our last trip and she decided to change our seats so we'd have someone more into character (who fed my mom her green beans while making airplane noises!)

sherreis
04-06-2012, 10:38 AM
When we ate there several years ago, we asked for a server that would be interactive when we checked in. I can't remember his name right now but he was the best. I just loved when he brough DS16 green beans with whipped cream on them for dessert because DS had not finished his green beans with his meal.

We're eating there again in June and I plan on asking for an interactive server again -- will just tell them go easy on DGD6 cause she is super sensitive.

3Rouselings
04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
:)They were great when we were they - our server challenged us to a Disney trivia contest and when we came up with all the answers they put it on the fridge in Mom's kitchen! My kids loved that.

I had the wedge salad and pot roast and there were delicious but a bit heavy. It was a good thing that our reservation was on our way out of the park! Oh and their peanut butter and jelly milkshakes are amazing

TDC Nala
04-06-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't eat inside there anymore. I eat at the bar. But the last time I was in there, they would still come out into the waiting area and scream "THE SMITH KIDS!! LUNCHTIME!!" So it does not sound like they have stopped the role-playing in there.

ArmandXG
04-06-2012, 04:06 PM
This restaurant has been on my list for years! I am definitely going to make a ressie for our next trip:goodvibes I just hope we get a good server:laughing:

Best Aunt
04-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Put your elbows on the table. That should get you some attention!

Funny, that's what I did as soon as we sat down last month. The waitress looked at me and said, "You've been here before!"

I explained that I had, but the rest of my group hadn't.

She gave my brother a VERY hard time, as I have mentioned in other posts.

mesaboy2
04-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Went twice in the last couple of months and they are still doing their schtick--at least some of them. We had the same server both trips and he is definitely into it. On the most recent trip, he asked one of our party if she was done with her spaghetti and meatballs. He then took a meatball and did the song--at the top of his lungs and complete with meatbally reenactment--of "On Top of Spaghetti...." Last I saw that meatball it was well on its way to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

minniejoy
04-06-2012, 05:19 PM
Just got back last night. They were up to their tricks! I had the meatloaf and didn't love it. Should of ordered something different. The desert was fantastic!!

arcticdisneylovers
04-06-2012, 05:39 PM
We ate there in February and the food was great and the portions were huge. Our "cousin" was really in her role but not too over the top which is fine with us. It was just enough that it was fun but not annoying. Though the mean and grumpy Dad at the table next to us appeared to be having a bad day and seemed to be annoyed by the shtick. But I figure if your not into it all why bother going. Our DD tends to be a bit timid but it was like the waitress could sense how far to go. DD really enjoyed it. :banana:

rachaelganner
04-06-2012, 06:08 PM
ive never had them play roles when i have eaten there

mommys3
04-06-2012, 06:23 PM
When I ate dinner there in September, our waiter didn't role play at all. Maybe because it was just me and my 3 year old...but I was disappointed that he didn't partake in the antics! But I did enjoy the food and atmosphere :goodvibes We will be eating there in August with the whole family...I am definitely asking for an interactive server! My kids should get a kick out of it :thumbsup2

LJD2143
04-06-2012, 06:59 PM
I had the crab cake appetizer and the blue cheese wedge salad - both delicious.

Love, love, love the Blue Cheese Wedge Salad! :lovestruc
Just the other day I was considering making an ADR for Sept - and thought I could order the Wedge and the Crab Cakes as my meal!!:goodvibes

Does anyone think that a "certain" attitude or behavior helps to engage the Cms?

During our last visit there in February, I had to spend some time on my iPhone answering work emails. At first I got a warning, then I had my phone taken away by our server!:rotfl:

csmommy
04-06-2012, 07:08 PM
How does it compare to Whispering Canyon. That place is really funny!

briandunne
04-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Put away the walkie-talkie!

They wre still doing it the forst week of March past.
The fried chicken and milk shakes are still great!

Ask for the P. B & J milkshake. I love the stuff you learn to ask for that's not on the menu. Thanks DISboards!

I wonder if there's a thread for such secret 'off-the-menu' gems.

Pixiedust34
04-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Put away the walkie-talkie!

They wre still doing it the forst week of March past.
The fried chicken and milk shakes are still great!

Ask for the P. B & J milkshake. I love the stuff you learn to ask for that's not on the menu. Thanks DISboards!

I wonder if there's a thread for such secret 'off-the-menu' gems.

Isn't the PB&J shake still on the menu? I hope so.

bobrex
04-12-2012, 12:29 PM
DW and I were there last week. Memory was our server and she was in full character mode. We both got stickers for the clean plate club. I asked her why some servers didn't do the role. She answered, kinda whistfully, that some people just want to serve food and others want to serve the customers.
On the other side of the wall, another server was doing the "airplane into the hanger" routine with a mom and dad and green beans.

I had some fun with Mike one time. After he chided us for not visiting that often, I asked: "Why is it that everytime I ask about coming down to visit you mom starts crying and dad just shakes his head?" He had a ball with that.

toklotursa
04-12-2012, 04:23 PM
We're going next month for the 1st time & I'm hoping we get an interactive server. My DW is not a fan of green beans. Any tips? Hee Hee Hee

ktlm
04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
We went early last December. Our server was very toned down, although she did do the schtick to some extent. I thought it might be because DD is only 5 and she was worried about upsetting her. (We noticed that when DD was 3 and 4, the Stepsisters and Stepmother at 1900 Park Fare would tone it down around her too). She didn't need to worry because DD is loud and outgoing, and would have thought it was hilarious. She was pleasant and friendly though.

The Pot Roast and Fried Chicken are both fantastic. The meatloaf so-so. They have a sampler platter with all three of these if you want to try a little of them all.

Our biggest problem was the table and service time wait. We got seated somewhere between a half hour and an hour after our ADR (I want to say it was closer to an hour). Then we had another over 20 minute wait at our table before anyone came by to greet us or take our drink order. We were ready to order food, but that person wasn't ready to take our Order, so it was about another 10 minutes before we even got to order our food. We will try it again because the food was good and the place was fun, but if we have another experience like that it will be our last time there.

TBGOES2DISNEY
04-12-2012, 08:10 PM
We went early last December. Our server was very toned down, although she did do the schtick to some extent. I thought it might be because DD is only 5 and she was worried about upsetting her. (We noticed that when DD was 3 and 4, the Stepsisters and Stepmother at 1900 Park Fare would tone it down around her too). She didn't need to worry because DD is loud and outgoing, and would have thought it was hilarious. She was pleasant and friendly though.

The Pot Roast and Fried Chicken are both fantastic. The meatloaf so-so. They have a sampler platter with all three of these if you want to try a little of them all.

Our biggest problem was the table and service time wait. We got seated somewhere between a half hour and an hour after our ADR (I want to say it was closer to an hour). Then we had another over 20 minute wait at our table before anyone came by to greet us or take our drink order. We were ready to order food, but that person wasn't ready to take our Order, so it was about another 10 minutes before we even got to order our food. We will try it again because the food was good and the place was fun, but if we have another experience like that it will be our last time there.

We went last November. We had a similar experience to the above poster. We waited quite a while to be seated. I would guess 30 minutes or more. When we were seated, it was probably 15 minutes before we saw our waiter. He said he would be with us soon; it was another 10-15 till he took our drink orders. It was some time before we actually got them and then we had to wait again to have our order taken.

He was a very friendly server, but he was excruciatingly sloooooow. He didn't do any of the funny stuff. Another server in the room (maybe Judy?) was hilarious. She was giving all her tables a hard time. Our server played back and forth with her a little bit. It was really funny and good-natured teasing. She was really into her role too (very serious).

I had a chocolate shake, pot roast, and boston creme dessert. You had to roll me out of there! It was so good.

We were there a really long time b/c of our slow server. Our kids were all pretty good, but our toddler, who normally eats slow, was long finished, and very antsy at the end. I had to take him out before my DH even got the bill.

All said, it was an enjoyable meal, and I plan to go back on our next trip!

So, I think your mileage may vary depending on your server. :)