PDA

View Full Version : V-E-R-Y Disappointed with Wireless Internet

LoveToDisney
03-27-2012, 10:48 PM
We recently stayed at BLT over a Spring Break trip. I have always had a good experience with the wired high speed internet service at Disney (except for one bad modem that was replaced), however, with the new wireless service I found that around 4-5pm through midnight or later I was constantly dropped and the web browser moved ultra slowly or not at all. I'm self-employed and have to take my laptop to work even while on vacation. I could not get my email downloaded successfully and I could not email out my attachments or upload files to FTP which crippled my ability to keep up with my work. The "wired" option no longer works at BLT so I was only able to get the wireless. Since I had a strong wireless signal, I'm assuming that with so many wireless devices throughout the Disney complex, the bandwidth is not large enough to handle it all. The wireless was fine in the early morning hours thru early afternoon before Disney Guests started the process of auto uploads of photos to internet and social media. I'm very unhappy because it will influence my ability to make trips to Disney and stay on Disney property since I must work via the internet while in Orlando on our trips. Unless Disney fixes their wireless system so it can handle the heavy load, I would like the option to get the wired high speed internet service at our DVC resorts (even if I had to pay for it).

bwvBound
03-27-2012, 10:59 PM
I would like the option to get the wired high speed internet service at our DVC resortsAGREED!

(even if I had to pay for it).Ah, ... maybe not so much. I hate having to pay for the stuff I used to get for free.

ColonialMouse
03-27-2012, 11:25 PM
I would like the option to get the wired high speed internet service at our DVC resorts (even if I had to pay for it).

I really doubt wired vs wireless has much to do with it. The infrastructure (uplink out of the building/resort) just hasn't been upgraded to keep up with the demands of the guests.

Same experience at a THV last October, and there the wireless base station only had to handle one family.

Bruce

LoveToDisney
03-28-2012, 12:14 AM
I really doubt wired vs wireless has much to do with it. The infrastructure (uplink out of the building/resort) just hasn't been upgraded to keep up with the demands of the guests.
Same experience at a THV last October, and there the wireless base station only had to handle one family. BruceI have NEVER EVER had trouble with wired high speed internet handling my large files and all the business work I have to do while at Disney at any time of day or night. When they went to wireless, they messed everything up. I'm not techy enough to know why....but I'm really angry they did not think thru their "free wireless" offering enough to realize they couldn't really provide the service effectively. They have got to do something to fix it and the sooner the better.

bunnybee
03-28-2012, 12:25 AM
We had the same experience at BLT during March break - the wireless dropped, wouldn't connect or was very slow.
Fortunately, we tried the wired connection and it worked!

jekjones1558
03-28-2012, 05:40 AM
I'm with you, OP. I didn't have trouble with dropped connections but the speed dropped to nearly zero from late afternoon until the wee hours. Sad, Disney.

CoffeeCup
03-28-2012, 06:16 AM
We had the same problem at AkL in Nov. I e-mailed MS, and they replied that the problem was with the server, not with them. They said they couldn't do anything about it and had notified their server about the problem. Evidently, nothing has changed and probably won't change until more people complain.

dbs1228
03-28-2012, 06:23 AM
Same service in Feb at THV, 3 late teen DD's in which 2 had college work to do, not a good situation. We had a little router that we would bring and it work great, when it was wired service. DD's were getting frustrated every evening and there were several evenings of no service at all which we called and we were told a server issue - crazy!

bltpoppins
03-28-2012, 07:26 AM
So we were at BCV in February, using our Macbook, and could not stay on the internet for more than a few seconds. There was no service from the cable connection so we had to go wireless. Our guests, using Windows, had no problem.

Then in March, we went to BLT and found a cable in the room and had flawless service from the wired connection. We were surprised that the wired connection worked!

Like the OP, we are self employed and, one of the reasons we love our DVC is to be able to take long weekends and still handle our business while gone.

I am so confused...do we or don't we have wired service!!!!:confused:

bltpoppins
03-28-2012, 07:33 AM
DS 25 and DS 21 checked into BLT in December for a night before the "rents" were to show up. They couldn't get into their room. Went back to the desk. They sent a CM up with a key card and they couldn't get into the room. Had to wait for a building engineer with the Master key (regular key).

Apparently, the batteries in the lock died. The guys were told that the batteries never were a problem until the wireless started. The batteries were changed and then there wasn't a problem.

Any lock experts understand why the wireless would be affected?

drusba
03-28-2012, 07:36 AM
OP, your experience sounds exactly like mine except I was at BWV. Disney seldom fixes anything unless the complaints are resounding. Thus, make sure you put in a complaint with DVC which will pass it on to the Disney hotel group that is responsible for this fiasco. Personal view is that the Disney MBA "suits" who made the decision to go cheap on the wireless system should not just be fired, they should be executed.

disneynutz
03-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Please take a few minutes to send your concerns to Disney. They are so big and disjointed, they probably think that everything is great.

dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

:earsboy: Bill

CoffeeCup
03-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Please take a few minutes to send your concerns to Disney. They are so big and disjointed, they probably think that everything is great.

dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

I also encourage everyone to express their displeasure with the existing Internet problems. However, according to the e-mail I received in response to my complaint, they are very aware of the problem. They just don't plan to do anything about it. I do not find this satisfactory since both DH and I need e-mail to deal with work problems when we are on vacation. If necessary, we would be willing to pay for reliable Internet service, but something seems wrong for DVC to have to pay extra so that everyone staying at every resort can enjoy free Internet, which used to be a perk for DVC members. It would seem to me that having free WIFI only for DVC members and having everyone else pay for the service would solve the problem.

disneynutz
03-28-2012, 08:53 AM
I also encourage everyone to express their displeasure with the existing Internet problems. However, according to the e-mail I received in response to my complaint, they are very aware of the problem. They just don't plan to do anything about it. I do not find this satisfactory since both DH and I need e-mail to deal with work problems when we are on vacation. If necessary, we would be willing to pay for reliable Internet service, but something seems wrong for DVC to have to pay extra so that everyone staying at every resort can enjoy free Internet, which used to be a perk for DVC members. It would seem to me that having free WIFI only for DVC members and having everyone else pay for the service would solve the problem.

They will do something about it if it is a big enough problem.

You need to realize that the new WiFi is a Disney Parks and Resorts project, not a DVC project. DVC tends to ride on the coattails of other Disney units so they don't have much pull. You were also dealing with a DVC person who doesn't feel that they have much say in what goes on in their organization.

Many times I have worked my way up through the DVC chain to finally talk to someone in a position of power. The result is usually the same, they didn't realize that it was an issue or that it is the first time hearing about it. The conversations have resulted in change, but the wheels behind the curtain turn slowly. They are so busy marketing to make a profit and sometimes managing the DVC takes a backseat. They get a bonus for selling, not for making DVC Members happy.

vicki_c
03-28-2012, 08:58 AM
We had basically non-working wireless at the Beach Club Resort in late January as well. And that was on the club level, so you think if they were going to get it working anywhere, it would be on those floors. Wireless worked well down in the lounge end of the hall, and pretty much not at all at the other end of the hall where our room was. The staff there said they were aware and that they were going to add another repeater to boost the signal. There was no wired Internet available and he said it was pulled out at the same time they installed the wireless (he suggested it was 2 different companies managing it).

But I definitely got the impression that the wired connection was being phased out at the resorts, so I think if you stay somewhere that has it now, it may not in the future.

We are headed to OKW on Saturday and bringing our Airport Express router just in case, but I just hope the wireless works.

disneynutz
03-28-2012, 09:06 AM
We had basically non-working wireless at the Beach Club Resort in late January as well. And that was on the club level, so you think if they were going to get it working anywhere, it would be on those floors. Wireless worked well down in the lounge end of the hall, and pretty much not at all at the other end of the hall where our room was. The staff there said they were aware and that they were going to add another repeater to boost the signal. There was no wired Internet available and he said it was pulled out at the same time they installed the wireless (he suggested it was 2 different companies managing it).

But I definitely got the impression that the wired connection was being phased out at the resorts, so I think if you stay somewhere that has it now, it may not in the future.

We are headed to OKW on Saturday and bringing our Airport Express router just in case, but I just hope the wireless works.

You are correct, the WiFi is a new contract with a different vendor. They are using the TV cable to distribute the signal to the access points and modems, the old system used the phone lines. New system, new wiring, new vendor, new problems.

LoveToDisney
03-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Thank you Disneynutz for the email links to Member Satisfaction and the WDW Guest Services Team. I sent emails to both and urge everyone reading this thread to do the same if you have had problems. This is a very serious situation as it affects so many that MUST get on the internet and do work while at Disney.

Cheltenham
03-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I was at the BWV in January and the wifi was pretty much useless. I stopped at the Polynesian one day and - at least in the lobby - the wifi was very good.

Dano1182
03-28-2012, 02:23 PM
If Internet acess is vital to your lively hood you may want to concider buying a pre paid wifi card at least when you travel.

I would not rely on any hotels internet access.Disney or otherwise.

I have had very slow interent service at several hotels when traveling.

Brian Noble
03-28-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm very unhappy because it will influence my ability to make trips to Disney and stay on Disney property since I must work via the internet while in Orlando on our trips. Unless Disney fixes their wireless system so it can handle the heavy load, I would like the option to get the wired high speed internet service at our DVC resorts (even if I had to pay for it).
I also often have to work on the road. There is NO WAY I would rely on hotel networking infrastructure to get my job done; too often, hotel connectivity, whether wired or wireless, paid or free, is just horrible. Instead, I rely on a cellular hotspot---I recently upgraded to a Verizon 4G LTE hotspot, and have been very satisfied with both speed and coverage. Prior to that, I would swap between a Virgin Mobile 3G card (VM uses the Sprint infrastructure) or tethering through my ATT iPhone.

If you travel even semi-frequently, you really ought to have something like this so that you don't have to rely on hotels to get your work done.

Edited to add: what Dano said.

bobbiwoz
03-28-2012, 04:23 PM
I spent time today thinking of this problem, and came to the conclusion that if Internet is vital to my job, I would get a hot spot, or something like that. I come here to comment, and see that it's been suggested. That would be my solution.

Bobbi:goodvibes

GoofyMac
04-03-2012, 08:08 AM
Ill be sure to pack My spare router and plug into the wired connection.

The nature of WIFI is that the more users that are connected the more channels get used the more distribution there is the more bandwidth needs to be allocated. When a router reaches its peak it will drop the weaker connections to keep the stronger ones connected. The more bandwidth needed the more power is needed as well.

If someone is transmitting or Downloading a large amount of Data it is going to use a larger amount of space on tat WIFI router add to that multiple users doing the same thing and you have limited access or very slow access.

Walt Disney World has not allowed EVERYONE to access WIFI for free. The amount of has just increased exponentially.

I always Travel with a Length of CAT5 or Ethernet cable to Plug in if there is an outlet in the room. If the WIFI is bad and there is no outlet available I make my T-Mobile Android Phone a Hotspot and use my 4G data connection with it.

We are pretty busy when we get to Walt Disney World and tend to not use the computer much and wouldn't at all when they charged. Now that it is Free you can bet everyone uses it.

Goofymac

LoveToDisney
04-03-2012, 12:56 PM
I got a call back from DVC. The wired connection is not an option anymore. That's another company who handled the wired and Disney has stopped that contract. All the internet will now be thru the company handling the wireless. He said using wired will not be possible.

He also said DVC is fully aware of the issue of the WIFI not working properly. My description nailed it exactly. There is not a problem with bandwidth as I had an excellent connection and he confirmed that. DVC had gone into our previous room and ran tests, getting the EXACT SAME RESULTS. He said Disney is aware of the issue and says it is a SERVER issue and they are working towards rectifying the situation. He hoped it would be fixed before the next time we visited but said that our fate lies with Disney as they are the ones with the contract with the third party WIFI.

I have not heard back from my Disney email, just DVC. I also did a survey for my last trip thru Disney and hit Disney hard with the WIFI issue on the survey to try to get their attention to the problem. I hope they FIX IT SOON!

Shelly F - Ohio
04-03-2012, 01:06 PM
This past Feb we stayed at 3 resorts. VWL had terrible wireless service but AKL and OKW had great service at any time of day.

shmoooey
04-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Last week at AKV the wireless was almost unusable.

bwvBound
04-03-2012, 03:56 PM
I got a call back from DVC. The wired connection is not an option anymore. That's another company who handled the wired and Disney has stopped that contract. All the internet will now be thru the company handling the wireless. He said using wired will not be possible.Well, darn. I s'pose that means I won't be using my points at BWV anymore ... I'll be booking the Dolphin for Lotusphere 2013. (Do Dolphin/Swan still have wired internet? I'm pretty certain they must have something fairly reliable given the number of tech conferences hosted at both/either?)

cpbjgc
04-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Just back from OKW in building 25. We had 2 Iphones, an Ipod Touch and Ipad all using the wireless (we don`t use data roaming in the U.S. - too pricey for us) and it worked just fine. We went to Cape May Cafe one evening and reception in the Beach Club Lobby and Cape May Cafe was pretty spotty.

vassar36
04-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Last week at AKV the wireless was almost unusable.

that was my experience too...

futreWDI
04-08-2012, 09:25 AM
At BWV you can still call down to housekeeping and have them bring up an ethernet cable. It is complimentary as well.

DebbieB
04-08-2012, 11:29 AM
At BWV you can still call down to housekeeping and have them bring up an ethernet cable. It is complimentary as well.

The post above says the wired is shutoff. Can anyone who stayed at BWV recently confirm? I have a trip arriving on 4/28 and planned to pack my router just in case.

kerriemiller
04-08-2012, 11:49 AM
I also often have to work on the road. There is NO WAY I would rely on hotel networking infrastructure to get my job done; too often, hotel connectivity, whether wired or wireless, paid or free, is just horrible. Instead, I rely on a cellular hotspot---I recently upgraded to a Verizon 4G LTE hotspot, and have been very satisfied with both speed and coverage. Prior to that, I would swap between a Virgin Mobile 3G card (VM uses the Sprint infrastructure) or tethering through my ATT iPhone.

If you travel even semi-frequently, you really ought to have something like this so that you don't have to rely on hotels to get your work done.

Edited to add: what Dano said.
Im assuming OP isnt away from the office enough normally to justify the added expence of a smart phone. It might be worth looking into a prepaid option for your next trip. Just so you have a back up.

disneynutz
04-08-2012, 11:53 AM
The post above says the wired is shutoff. Can anyone who stayed at BWV recently confirm? I have a trip arriving on 4/28 and planned to pack my router just in case.

The vendor who provided the wired connection lost their contract and they are removing the network at their leisure. Some resorts had the cord removed from the rooms buy Mousekeeping and others didn't.

mndisfam
04-08-2012, 02:27 PM
I wanted to chime in on this important issue, because I too need reliable internet access while at DVC resorts. On my recent visit to WDW in late Feb 2012, I undertook a first-time experiment to stay at WDW in the depths of Minnesota winter (not much of one this year) to play 1/3 of time and work the other 2/3.

I spent 3 days at BCV with my brother (from San Diego who happened to be attending a conference at WDW - his first visit), followed by 5 days at AKLV by myself (1-bedroom at Kidani-ultimate luxury) expecting to use my "home-away-from-home" office at AKLV. I absolutely love AKL and Kidani Village in particular.

I almost never take any me-time, with two active teens and a busy law practice. This trip was an attempt to slow down, get a good chunk of work done, enjoy the awesome weather, pools, sunshine, and food (Sanaa, Boma), and just do what I wanted to do. In short, expand use of our DVC membership in a different way, by allowing a near 50 year old patent attorney a viable excuse to enjoy the many benefits of DVC while still putting in a decent work week. I've never done this before, BTW.

Here's a summary of my "home office" experience while at Kidani: Access to my office server in MN was dreadfully slow (e.g., 103 seconds to open a folder, 48 seconds to right-click copy a file to release the function, let alone the many minutes to transfer it to my laptop). Remote desktop was not possible. Work Gmail was the only mode of "reliable" internet access to my clients, allowing me plenty of time to watch the zebras grazing between send and receive operations.

I contacted the front desk and was routed to a "tech" rep who said she needed to talk to the higher tech reps. The tech rep got back to me fairly quickly (within the hour) with their explanation for the problem.

It wasn't a connection problem or a server problem per se, it was an intentional bottleneck placed on each wireless router to throttle back bandwidth through the router for files larger than 256K bytes. There seemed to be some logic in this explanation because web surfing on my iPhone via in-room wireless was pretty fast. The tech said the same restrictions were applied to the in-room wired connection as well.

My experience at Kidani was exactly the same as at BCV. I was hoping the newer infrastructure at Kidani would have resulted in much better internet performance, but it was not to be.

I considered an AT&T hot spot or tethering option, but AT&T coverage is so completely unreliable at WDW that this was not a viable solution. Note that I purchased a pre-paid Verizon burner phone ($39) in Orlando that worked fabulously (an excellent inexpensive work-around for phone service since AT&T Iphone cellular service is essentially non-existent). I was able to hold hour+ long telecons with my clients via Verizon - thank you Verizon.

Lastly, my final solution to the DVC Wi-Fi problem was to purchase a new Ipad with 4G Verizon as the carrier (a fun business purchase) which I can use as a hot spot for my laptop (in addition to using many business Ipad apps). I need only activate the Verizon 4G service on a month-to-month basis (via the Ipad) and for an expected volume of data transport needed ($50 for 5 GB). I haven't tried this out yet, but hope to repeat a more productive working vacation in the coming months.

Disney and DVC have been such an important part of our family history, and whether the responsible entity is DVC or Disney Resorts, please remember the first rule in business - "keep your [existing] clients happy" - new ones are much harder to find if you let down your current clients.

beccasmom
04-08-2012, 03:34 PM
It worked pretty well for us at OKW in November, but we always bring our MIFI with us anyway ( the size of a credit card, it is easy enough to bring along) for insurance. And I can also use my iPhone as a hotspot. I just never feel completely sure the resort wifi will be adequate, but so far it has been okay.

vakamalua
04-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Had fast and reliable wireless for our four day stay at Kidani two weeks ago.

jekjones1558
04-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Mndisfam,
I used to have an AT&T iPhone and switched to a Verizon iPhone after getting pretty lousy service at WDW and in Door County, WI (we like to vacation there also and could not even get Edge on AT&T). I also got a new Verizon iPad as a backup when WDW wifi is poor.

Snurk71
04-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Another AT&Ter that has terrible experience at WDW. On our trip a couple weeks ago MK was an entire dead spot one day. Couple trips ago I couldn't get a signal in BLT. So much for using Lines or other internet related functions.

We should start a rumor that Disney/Verizon is blocking AT&T because of the Disney/Verizon partnership.

LoveToDisney
04-09-2012, 06:12 PM
I am a graphic designer and I NEVER had an issue with the WIRED internet service at Disney. I was always able to download/upload/transfer and work with email just as quick as in my home office. Now, with the wireless, it is USELESS for the business person who wants to combine work and pleasure. I have always enjoyed working at Disney because of the evening perks of fireworks and pleasant weather. Now that their wireless is messed up, I'm still trying to figure out what to do. I don't normally travel a lot besides going to Disney so a smart phone is not really necessary as kerriemiller pointed out so I'm still trying to figure out what to do to ensure I can work effectively during my trips. I WANT THE GOOD INTERNET SERVICE I ALWAYS HAD AT DISNEY!!!

JimC
04-09-2012, 07:22 PM
When we were there in January the wired connection was still working. Started with the wireless. Switched back to wired because of speed issues and having to login repeatedly.

We had our own router with us and that works fine to set up our own wireless network off of their wired connection.

AT&T connectivity on property has always been sub-par - before and after we got iPhones.

njanimalkingdom
04-09-2012, 08:14 PM
I know Vero has always has had wireless but was there last week and it was horrible. Could never get on line. Switched to AKV Jambo and was much better.

mkunichi
04-09-2012, 10:14 PM
I don't normally travel a lot besides going to Disney so a smart phone is not really necessary as kerriemiller pointed out so I'm still trying to figure out what to do to ensure I can work effectively during my trips. I WANT THE GOOD INTERNET SERVICE I ALWAYS HAD AT DISNEY!!!
Besides the router idea that others have recently posted, I like the idea others have had of getting a Verizon 4G iPad and using the built-in hotspot function. With the iPad you can just activate for a month you have a trip and keep your iPad as wifi-only while you're home.

WilsonFlyer
04-10-2012, 05:57 AM
Besides the router idea that others have recently posted, I like the idea others have had of getting a Verizon 4G iPad and using the built-in hotspot function. With the iPad you can just activate for a month you have a trip and keep your iPad as wifi-only while you're home.

You guys just need to be aware that you can eat up 5 gig pretty fast and this is currently the largest monthly contract offered by Verizon or AT&T. Certainly a viable option but you can't just take it for granted and forget about it (leave it connected all the time).

Feckless
04-10-2012, 06:06 AM
I am concerned about the WiFi during our trip. All of the hot spot options are not going to work for us because we are travelling from Canada and we have huge data charges. I do not plan to bring a laptop just my (wifi only) iPad and my kids will have their iPod touches. Normally we can use the laptop to stream Netflix movies, etc. in resorts that we stay in. It seems from the reviews that since email cannot even be downloaded properly the wireless is well below the standard anyone could expect from a hotel wireless system.

bobbiwoz
04-10-2012, 07:06 AM
I know Vero has always has had wireless but was there last week and it was horrible. Could never get on line. Switched to AKV Jambo and was much better.

I had a terrible time in Vero in January, too!

bwang123
04-10-2012, 07:37 AM
The problem with wifi is that each wireless access point has a shared bandwidth. So with the increasing number of wireless capable devices (phones, laptops, ipods, cameras...) the wireless access points in Disney’s infrastructure become bogged down with people watching videos, uploading pictures from their trip, etc. This is a common occurrence these days now that seemingly every electronic device is fitted with wireless these days. It sounds like their contracted wireless company did build their network with this is mind.

Like other posters said previously, if you have dependencies on wireless, plan to use an alternative.

Dziactor
04-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Going for two weeks in May and I hope to do some business. I may bug my company for a wireless card or something.

Sunshine22
04-10-2012, 06:34 PM
With 4 teens on our Spring Break trip last week, we had 5 laptops (one was mine) at BLT and had minimal issues with our internet connections.

vicki_c
04-11-2012, 06:30 AM
I just wanted to come back and report that the wireless worked pretty well at OKW last week (building 36). We used it all week for our iPad, phones and laptop. I was even able to watch something streaming on Netflix without any stuttering. But it was slow - we did a speedtest at one point and transfer rates were pretty low - I don't remember how low though.

On the other hand, the cords were still there for the wireless connection, but they were dead. DH tried to set up our Airport Express with it when we first got there, but it was a no go.

Dano1182
04-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Just back from BWV. WIFI was useless.I did use verzion air card with no problems.

OrangeCountyCommuter
04-16-2012, 02:34 PM
There's a reason I have a wireless card....

Hotel wireless as a general rule SUCKS! I wouldn't expect Disney to be that much better the anyone else.

And this thread shows why... we just put 100 users on who want to Stream netflix, set up three or four devices etc... Trust me hotels don't "prepare" for this. Thier planning is "one user per room doing limited work"