PDA

View Full Version : The Official October 2012 Car Rental Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Schachteles
03-27-2012, 01:47 PM
I am looking for October 2012 Car Rental Deals...if you find any, please post. :cool1:

ChildAtHeart82
03-27-2012, 03:06 PM
I am looking for October 2012 Car Rental Deals...if you find any, please post. :cool1:

It's a little early to start finding great deals for October. The best deals probably won't appear until 1-2 months out.

Right now, we're booked with National for 26 Oct to 2 Nov for the Emerald Aisle (reserve a midsize, pick from the aisle) and our final total is $252.75, which includes Loss Damage Waiver, Supplemental Liability, and the other charges like Airport Access Fee. We used the KLM code and are expecting to use the weekly rental coupon that National usually releases to bring the price down a little more.

I'm not sure if this is the best deal available right now or not but it was a price we were comfortable paying. I'll research more as the dates get closer. I hope this helps! :)

Schachteles
03-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Oh I know it is early.

But I like to get something on the books with the hopes of getting something better. Just want a starting point.

What was your KLM code?

ChildAtHeart82
03-27-2012, 03:38 PM
It's contract ID 8572130. It's a code for members of KLM's frequent flyer club, Flying Blue, which is free to join. There was some nervousness about the code a few months ago because it includes Loss Damage Waiver and a lot of other things that aren't usually included. We used it in earlier this month with no issues and there have now been several reports of success.

Inkmahm
03-27-2012, 03:45 PM
It's contract ID 8572130. It's a code for members of KLM's frequent flyer club, Flying Blue, which is free to join. There was some nervousness about the code a few months ago because it includes Loss Damage Waiver and a lot of other things that aren't usually included. We used it in earlier this month with no issues and there have now been several reports of success.

I used that code March 13-20 and have used it again to book October 24-30 for $203 including an AARP $30 discount. I'm hoping the cost will decrease before October though as I normally don't pay anywhere near $203 at that time of year.

ChildAtHeart82
03-27-2012, 04:07 PM
I used that code March 13-20 and have used it again to book October 24-30 for $203 including an AARP $30 discount. I'm hoping the cost will decrease before October though as I normally don't pay anywhere near $203 at that time of year.

It's good to hear that the costs are usually cheaper at that time of year. I was hoping since that was the price this early that it would be cheaper later.

gilsan
04-27-2012, 11:36 AM
I am joining the watch for cheap rentals in October. I am hoping for a low rate like I got in Feb;)

mdurette
05-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Using carrentalsavers for Oct 12-19th Dollar has an SUV for $328 all in price. Not bad for an SUV - still going to pass on it. We typically get Alamo for this week full size from $150-$200. Will be watching!!!

OKWAnneMarie
05-09-2012, 10:10 AM

Do you need to show National your "Flying Blue" membership card? Thanks!

keishashadow
05-09-2012, 11:23 AM
i just booked a res beginning 9/29 for 8 nights w/National using KLM and $30 entertainment coupon code @ $230 all taxes & fees.

had it booked previously but I changed flight from one that leaves @ 6:15 am to 11:30 am and couldn't modify it online, nor would they do so when i called:bitelip: it was $50 less

soontobewed07
05-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Hoping to find something decent for October this is our first trip travelling with 2 kids (DS5 and expecting DD4 months) so I am thinking at least a standard size or even a minivan

Karlzmom
05-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Still waiting for rates to drop a bit. Hoping that the prices move down a bit here in the next couple of months. As a long-time rental car price stalker, I know that they start high and change, but its a bit odd to not see at least some movement yet.

Karlzmom
06-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Finally had to get a ressie on the books, as we are just 120ish days out. Found that Enterprise is significantly lower on their standard SUVs that just about anything else out there. Oct 13-27th, OW rental MCO-FLL for $329 with Entertainment coupon. Still hoping for better but seeing across the board $900+ with no changes was making me twitchy. Hope we start seeing some downward movement soon!

granmanh603
06-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Guess it is to early to book and get a deal yet! Last year it was hard in Oct, you have Columbus Day weekend and then they had conventions down there and also a golf tournament... hope to have better luck this year. finally wound up getting for only a few days to food shop.

Schachteles
06-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Finally had to get a ressie on the books, as we are just 120ish days out. Found that Enterprise is significantly lower on their standard SUVs that just about anything else out there. Oct 13-27th, OW rental MCO-FLL for $329 with Entertainment coupon. Still hoping for better but seeing across the board $900+ with no changes was making me twitchy. Hope we start seeing some downward movement soon!

which Entertainment coupon did you use? that is a great deal, I'd love to score a deal like that! :thumbsup2

Jessfromjersey
06-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Booked 10/13 thru 10/20 with Budget with carrentalsavers...$256 all inclusive for a full size. Actually flying into Tampa International, saving almost $100/per person, and renting car from there. The difference in airfare plus the savings on rental car far outweigh the 2 hour drive to Orlando. Whatever works for you! Still hoping for a minivan for less than what I am paying now, but will have to wait and see.

Karlzmom
06-11-2012, 08:13 PM
which Entertainment coupon did you use? that is a great deal, I'd love to score a deal like that! :thumbsup2

The 10% off for the week in the 2012 book.

EPCOT is a verb
06-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Subbing to keep an eye out for deals...

garris3404
06-13-2012, 12:17 PM
My wife, and 7 of her lady friends, are heading down Oct 7 - 14. They need 2 cars/vans due to lots of luggage. :rotfl2:

I'm playing travel agent for them. Any coupon help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup2

lindsmom
06-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Just booked a "just in case" midsize suv (which we drive at home) on national for 10/4 - 10/12 total 245.39 using klm code and bj's $30 coupon code ND3Z33ZDE. I'll certainly be happy to get something cheaper, but since it's columbus day weekend at least we have something!

disneybound31
06-13-2012, 10:14 PM
subbing!!

pipervali
06-13-2012, 11:39 PM
I'm renting out of LAX, so I'm guessing it varies, but I just booked a Standard SUV for the week of 10/2 using the Entertainment Book Code and $30 off from National, grand total of $308, which I was pretty happy with. Anyone know what National keeps in their SUV fleet? I've only used Enterprise locally went renting SUV's.

garris3404
06-19-2012, 07:11 AM
Friendly bump :rolleyes1

Jessfromjersey
06-19-2012, 08:38 AM
As mentioned before, my family and I are flying into TPA rather than MCO, saving us $100/per person from Atlantic City, NJ. I have gotten a new rate of $221/week for a full size by using an off site rental car location for Dollar Rent a Car. I hope to be able to get a minivan for a similar price as the trip gets closer. When should I be looking for a significant drop in rates for a trip October 12-20?

ps...the car ride is about 70 minutes, not 2 hours that I stated in a previous post!

DisneyMissy318
06-19-2012, 11:10 PM
Subbing - our travel dates are 10/2 - 10/9 - only 3 of us, so just need minimum (more would be nice!) - hoping for under $200 (?). Actually with absolutely no experience renting at MCO - I'm not even sure of what I'm hoping for!

Wondering if anyone has ever "named your own price" through Priceline for a car? We do it all the time for hotels, but never a car. Thank for any info!

Would love any words of advice to get the best deal. From reading previous posts, I'll mention I am a Costco member.

Karlzmom
06-20-2012, 05:05 AM
Subbing - our travel dates are 10/2 - 10/9 - only 3 of us, so just need minimum (more would be nice!) - hoping for under $200 (?). Actually with absolutely no experience renting at MCO - I'm not even sure of what I'm hoping for!

Wondering if anyone has ever "named your own price" through Priceline for a car? We do it all the time for hotels, but never a car. Thank for any info!

Would love any words of advice to get the best deal. From reading previous posts, I'll mention I am a Costco member.

Right now prices are fairly high across the board. Look at car rental savers dot com to get a feel....for us, the standard SUV from enterprise was cheaper than anything else [including the small "basic" cars]. Costco can give good rates, but most of their coupons are expiring before Oct. Still worth checking through the Costco web site.

I have never "named my own price" as I like to know which company I am dealing with [there are a couple that scare me] and frankly I've always been able to work the deals to a rate where it really wouldn't have been any better.

This far out, pick the best you can. Book it to hedge on the "worst" scenario and then keep an eye on prices. The last couple of trips I was able to get the price down to about $10/day including taxes when it was all said and done. If you want to get the feel of the timing, look at some of the threads that are a bit closer in time and you'll see the dip.

Good Luck!

gilsan
06-20-2012, 06:58 AM
We rented from National in February for 10 days and got a midsize for around $100 taxes and fees included. I don't think I will do as well in October, but the prices are really high.

I did sign up with KLM's frequent flier program so I could use the KLM code. The rental is for $339 taxes and fees included for 13 days at the end of October begining of November for a compact. I am hoping for around $200 for a mid-size from National.

DisneyMissy318
06-20-2012, 07:57 AM
I just booked an Alamo rental - October 2 - 9 - using codes I found on the July thread - just wanted to get "something" on hold as a place to start. I have a Standard (Ford Focus) rented for $195.63. I used the following:
299851 Vroom code and AU4234FDA (double upgrade)

Not sure about the "Vroom Limited Code" (I'm trying to find out if I can use it or not - not sure what membership it is tied to, if any). The combo of these codes is lower than anything I had seen so far. I'll keep checking for something cheaper - but I'm happy to be under $200!

Good Luck!

Thanks!!

pipervali
06-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Seems as though rates have really jumped, across the board, the last two weeks or so. Maybe it's just for my week because it's bordering Columbus Day. Glad I locked in a decent rate a while back. I'm hoping the closer we get to October, things will even out a bit.

budbeerlady
06-21-2012, 07:58 AM
I just booked an Alamo rental - October 2 - 9 - using codes I found on the July thread - just wanted to get "something" on hold as a place to start. I have a Standard (Ford Focus) rented for $195.63. I used the following:

Not sure about the "Vroom Limited Code" (I'm trying to find out if I can use it or not - not sure what membership it is tied to, if any). The combo of these codes is lower than anything I had seen so far. I'll keep checking for something cheaper - but I'm happy to be under $200!

Good Luck!

Thanks!!

Thanks! I was able to get down tot $191 with this. I am hoping for better but its closer to what I want to pay then the $329 I was looking at.

horselover
06-21-2012, 12:52 PM

Good Luck!

Thanks!!

Whenever I see a code that includes full collision damage waiver it sets off a red flag for me. It's likely a code for international travelers. Not worth the risk for me personally, but I hope it works out for you. Rates are really bad this year. :headache:

keishashadow
06-22-2012, 07:48 AM
Seems as though rates have really jumped, across the board, the last two weeks or so. Maybe it's just for my week because it's bordering Columbus Day. Glad I locked in a decent rate a while back. I'm hoping the closer we get to October, things will even out a bit.

rates are higher this year for my rentals compared to same time periods in the past

just checked last year's thru alamo for a midsize for 8 nights beginning Oct 1st, only $103 using continental code and a $35 coupon, those days are likely over

lindsmom
06-28-2012, 10:29 AM
bump!

jjj444
06-28-2012, 02:31 PM
waiting for Alamo codes. If any come out please share:goodvibes

zorro77
06-28-2012, 06:27 PM
also looking for rental late Oct 2012, would like to use Alamo. Pick up at MCO and drop off at Dolphin/Swan.

ppony
06-28-2012, 06:31 PM
also looking for rental late Oct 2012, would like to use Alamo. Pick up at MCO and drop off at Dolphin/Swan.

:rotfl: And we're coming in the middle of October renting at the Dolphin and bringing it back to MCO. Funny! We'll leave the car in good shape for you. :thumbsup2

gilsan
06-29-2012, 02:54 PM
I checked rates to today and they have gone up. $840 for 13 days! I am glad I booked a reservation a month ago for $330 for an economy:scared1:

Edit: I went back and entered it without the Entertainment Book coupon and it dropped back down. The Entertainment book is offering a great deal:rotfl2::upsidedow:rotfl2:

HeatherLassell
07-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Subbing!

I'm looking to rent something (car/suv) from Sept 29-Oct 10th. I'd prefer from the onsite locations at DTD.

So far the best I've found is with Dollar for $266 plus tax in a compact (Ford Focus or similar).

sympatico
07-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Bump. Looking for late Oct.

ktm62
07-07-2012, 09:07 AM
try car rentals dot com.:) have a full size for $214 booked 9/28-10/09. no cc needed can update any time. I have changed companies and done price drops a few times. great prices and very easy. they have all the agencies listed on one page so you can compare :)

GrnMtnMan
07-09-2012, 12:44 PM
There's an odd special on Avis' premium cars right-now through Costco's travel website.

For noon-ish pickup 10/13 returning noon-ish 10/21, they have 'Premium' cars available for $283.10 (all taxes included)...that's the lowest price available for any type of car by more than $110.

Schachteles
07-09-2012, 04:00 PM
I just booked using the KLM code that there is a huge thread about in this section. Got a convertible for $405.xx from the 12th to the 22nd!! :cool1:

disneysherrym
07-09-2012, 06:55 PM
I booked yesterday with Alamo 9/28 to 10/4. I reserved compact using Alamo Insider and American Airlines code from Mousesavers. Total including taxdifferent thread that was $114.29. Base rate was $104 + tax and fees - $35.00 coupon. I just checked and base rate now with Alamo insiders is coming up $118 = tax and fees. Need to check every chance you get since the go up and down all the time. :cool1::cool1:

ppony
07-09-2012, 07:09 PM
You guys are getting such great deals! I can't seem to get anything less than $400 for 6 days. :sad: Granted, I've been looking at a mid-size but even the economy rates have been within $40 of that size. I'm bummed that if we were game for a full size truck, we could get one for less than $280. Yeah, no truck. :rotfl:

keishashadow
07-09-2012, 07:18 PM
I rebooked using old continental airlines onepass code 443824.

I belong to their free program, suggest anybody that's going to use it join and print out the membership card jik.

8 nights beginning 9/29 for full size with the $35 coupon and i'm down to $148:cool1:
for those checking dollar don't forgot to price it out without any codes 1st to try and trigger a city special - where i found the best rate this May. Was nervous using them but car was just fine and easy to check in thru the desk in terminal vs last go-around.

mieuxmew
07-09-2012, 07:58 PM
There's an odd special on Avis' premium cars right-now through Costco's travel website.

For noon-ish pickup 10/13 returning noon-ish 10/21, they have 'Premium' cars available for $283.10 (all taxes included)...that's the lowest price available for any type of car by more than $110.

Thank you for posting!!

We are going the same dates dates as you. We need an extra day, as we arrive early Sat am and leave afternoon the following Sunday. Costco Avis rate is $329 for premium. Great rate compared to the other prices listed. Weird how a premium is the cheapest rental. With Avis does spouse drive free?

I have a reservation with National for a minivan for $38 more with KLM discount and I get to pick the minivan off the minivan isle. Think I will go with that for now. We are staying offsite, but I was am toying with the idea of staying 1st night at Art of Animation resort, take Magic Express and pick up car later at Car Care center thinking it would be fun to try the new resort for one night. Minivan rental is $326 (got rid of the extra day). I am holding that reservation. Rechecked it a couple of weeks ago. There is now an extra $250 drop off charge for returning car to airport! :eek:

If I find anything better I will let you know! Hopefully, the rates will come down soon.

n2mm
07-10-2012, 06:30 AM
I rebooked using old continental airlines onepass code 443824.

I belong to their free program, suggest anybody that's going to use it join and print out the membership card jik.

8 nights beginning 9/29 for full size with the $35 coupon and i'm down to $148:cool1:
for those checking dollar don't forgot to price it out without any codes 1st to try and trigger a city special - where i found the best rate this May. Was nervous using them but car was just fine and easy to check in thru the desk in terminal vs last go-around.

That's a great price this far out. I'm watching and only vroom code gives me a good price. I like to stick to Alamo or National. Oct. 12 @ 3P to Oct. 27 @ 3P. I can get around $400ish using the $35 code/w vroom for Alamo. I always find my rentals in October to be the hardest to get a decent price and if a hurricane comes in, it gets even harder because their fleet gets impacted by one way renters trying to get home. I try to get something I can live with and hope for a better price later. :car:

wdwfanatic316
07-11-2012, 12:55 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this! :thumbsup2 I just booked this for 10/13 - 10/20 for $237.38 including taxes and fees. I'm going to cancel my Payless reservation now. I feel so much better about renting from Alamo than Payless, actually being in the terminal and from a more reputable company. And a bigger vehicle, though I wouldn't mind something other than a Crown Vic :goodvibes

andijean
07-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I need your help! We are going to Legoland for the day, so we need to rent a car. It needs to hold 6 people and we would like to rent at Car Care Center, but the rates are crazy for 24 hours...like $100 for minivan. I have even considered renting it for the week b/c the one day rate is so high. Does any one have any assistance or thoughts? We really did not want to pick up/drop off at MCO b/c it is nice not to have to worry about navigating, but maybe if it was worth it we can consider it. Our travel date are 10/5-10/11. What do you think or what would you do?

Karlzmom
07-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I need your help! We are going to Legoland for the day, so we need to rent a car. It needs to hold 6 people and we would like to rent at Car Care Center, but the rates are crazy for 24 hours...like $100 for minivan. I have even considered renting it for the week b/c the one day rate is so high. Does any one have any assistance or thoughts? We really did not want to pick up/drop off at MCO b/c it is nice not to have to worry about navigating, but maybe if it was worth it we can consider it. Our travel date are 10/5-10/11. What do you think or what would you do?

FWIW, navigting from MCO to WDW and back is a piece of cake! At that price, I'd either rent for the week or I understand that there is a shuttle to Legoland from the Prime Outlet and maybe a taxi or two to the Outlet would be better?

GrnMtnMan
07-13-2012, 02:40 PM
With Avis does spouse drive free?Don't know the general answer, but the 'terms & conditions' for this Avis deal say this:
Additional driver fee will be waived at participating locations in the U.S. only.

AndreaDM
07-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I just reserved a convertible from Oct. 12-16 (4 days total) for a total of $251 with taxes & fees. This is Dollar with no code, i clicked on city specials. It was only a few bucks more than a compact! We've never rented a convertible before and I know DD will love it.

Is that probably the best price I'll get?

keishashadow
07-14-2012, 02:30 PM
That's a great price this far out. I'm watching and only vroom code gives me a good price. I like to stick to Alamo or National. Oct. 12 @ 3P to Oct. 27 @ 3P. I can get around $400ish using the $35 code/w vroom for Alamo. I always find my rentals in October to be the hardest to get a decent price and if a hurricane comes in, it gets even harder because their fleet gets impacted by one way renters trying to get home. I try to get something I can live with and hope for a better price later. :car:

just to clarify my above post: 443824 is an alamo code, a very old alamo code;).

Hopefully you can beat $400 for a 2 week rental. It's always good to have something on the books.

October has been problematic for me to book for years too:confused3 I assume because our trips involve Columbus day. As i recall there was a large convention the 3rd week of October last year, not sure what's on the calendar this year.

Karlzmom
07-15-2012, 04:32 PM
I'm really ready for the car rental rates to drop. We are only 90 days out and still little to no movement. Normally, I've rebooked a 1/2 dozen times for a better rate by now.:eek: The only "good" rate I've found is a state of California rate, that I suspect is not for leisure use....I've got a call in to my travel office to see if I might be able to use it.

So, as it stands, I'm with Enterprise [National has lost their minds] and my "free day" that I've earned is stranded...While I'm happy that I was able to get a non-stop to LAX, the need to work around the "drop fee" for the FLL return is frustrating. Another lesson learned.

Anyone seeing any good rates?

princesspiglet
07-16-2012, 03:55 PM
I just booked with Dollar- with no promo code, just their city special for MCO- and got a mid-size car for $190.11 for 10 days!!! I am stoked. We are picking it up at MCO on Friday 9/28 at 2:30pm and returning on Sunday, 10/7 at 8:00pm. It was only $84.55 for the week and then $12.17 for each additional day. :cool1:

I was originally booked on National for the same time frame and the cheapest I was able to get was $356.

ppony
07-16-2012, 06:22 PM
I want to thank those that recommended Dollar too because we were able to book a minivan for 10 days at $385! NEVER have gotten it that low. I'm sure it can be, but we've never paid so little. We were almost going to rent from Alamo or National for 6 days in a mid-size and that was $445. Thanks HEAVENS! Now we'll have the car the whole time and not have to worry about space.

lindsmom
07-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Yay! I just got the dollar deal with the city special, 10/4 - 10/12 for $128 plus fees = $175, full size car. Much better than the KLM deal I had before (which I was still slightly nervous about using). Thanks!

GrnMtnMan
07-17-2012, 07:54 AM
I just booked with Dollar

I want to thank those that recommended Dollar too

Yay! I just got the dollar deal with the city specialDoes this deal (or Dollar at MCO) allow a spouse to be an additional driver for free?

I went through the booking process and the 'fine print' does not say spouses are free...
Additional drivers must qualify with a valid driver's license in their own name. There may be charges for additional drivers.

I also did some Google-in and found this article (http://www.elliott.org/the-troubleshooter/dollars-additional-driver-fee-that-wont-go-away/) form earlier this yer where it looks like Dollar reserves the right to charge an additional driver fee for spouses.

In any case, it may not matter to some, but for me adding an additional ~$70 to the advertised rate puts it back in-line with all the other companies.

ppony
07-17-2012, 08:30 AM
In any case, it may not matter to some, but for me adding an additional ~$70 to the advertised rate puts it back in-line with all the other companies.

If you want both to be able to drive then yeah. I've been so used to that additional driver fee I didn't know anyone didn't charge it. It use dto be that National, Alamo and a few others I've used that I'm forgetting right now charged it. So when we rent only one of us is a driver and that's that. I've never rented from Dollar before, so this will be a first.

andijean
07-17-2012, 11:33 AM
HOLY COW!!:cool1: That dollar deal is amazing! Thank you so much! I would never have seen that deal as it only comes up in the booking process and not under specials. I just booked a minivan for the week for $225 +tx($301 tot). It was going to cost me $125 for a 1 day rental through the car care center. Is Dollar on property of MCO? I made that mistake once and what a pain having to take the shuttle bus.

lindsmom
07-17-2012, 11:38 AM
HOLY COW!!:cool1: That dollar deal is amazing! Thank you so much! I would never have seen that deal as it only comes up in the booking process and not under specials. I just booked a minivan for the week for $225 +tx($301 tot). It was going to cost me $125 for a 1 day rental through the car care center. Is Dollar on property of MCO? I made that mistake once and what a pain having to take the shuttle bus.

Yes, Dollar is located right in the airport.

virge
07-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks for sharing the information about Dollar! I reserved a mini-van for a week for only $301 (including taxes/fees). We haven't even committed to wanting a rental car yet but that deal is too good to pass up in case we decide we want one! The next lowest price I'd found for that week was just under $600.

connorlevismom
07-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Thank you so much for the dollar info! I just got a mini-van for the 13-22nd of October for $381.29. :cool1:

Does anyone know if there is a way to bypass the counter with Dollar?

GrnMtnMan
07-17-2012, 01:13 PM
I've been so used to that additional driver fee I didn't know anyone didn't charge it.An additional driver is included with all Costco Codes, and I think some companies include it if you join their loyalty program. But I didn't see that listed as a perk with Dollar.

ppony
07-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks for sharing the information about Dollar! I reserved a mini-van for a week for only $301 (including taxes/fees). We haven't even committed to wanting a rental car yet but that deal is too good to pass up in case we decide we want one! The next lowest price I'd found for that week was just under $600.

That was our experience too! I just simply couldn't stomach the $600 again. We've paid that before and naturally HATED it. I was looking at smaller vehicle options but we can only go just so small w/ all our "gear". Minivans are usually only outstripped by convertibles and maxi-vans for high rental rates so this was a BOON! I couldn't believe those specials. It does come up and automatically fill in codes for you when you click on it.

An additional driver is included with all Costco Codes, and I think some companies include it if you join their loyalty program. But I didn't see that listed as a perk with Dollar.
I guess it's never been offered to me as free at Alamo and National which are the only 2 places I am in a loyalty program. And all other places have always asked if I wanted to add a driver to which we just always decline and one of us drives. Which actually, has worked out becuase we have discovered that my DH is TERRIBLE driving in strange areas. He gets UGLY nasty, so to keep the fights from happening and us careening into Disney grass again :rolleyes1 (yes, it happened), I drive and everyone is happy. Except me. I hate driving. :rotfl: The things moms do to keep the peace. ;)

deniden
07-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the KLM Code.

National Car Rental
Pickup: 10/11 10am
Drop-Off: 10/15 6:30pm

Corporate Code: 8572130
Coupon Code: BJ's $30 off - ND3Z33ZDE

$210 for a Midsize SUV

Karlzmom
07-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Still no real movement...except up! UGH!!! Anyone else finding a score?

ash-n-brensmom
07-20-2012, 07:58 AM
So I checked out that city special on Dollar (it took me a while to get there;)), and I got really excited when I saw a price of $147 for a compact. That was until I saw that it was just the BASE price. Total with all the fees was like $250. So bummed. For only $30 more we can get the same car with all the insurance included by using uscarhire.com from the UK. Not a great deal until you factor in all the insurance. And yes I know that our insurance will cover the rental, but DH is soooo paranoid about using ours.:rolleyes2 It would have to be a ridiculous deal to convince him to use our insurance. So, I will keep looking!:surfweb:

sympatico
07-20-2012, 09:44 AM
So I checked out that city special on Dollar (it took me a while to get there;)), and I got really excited when I saw a price of $147 for a compact. That was until I saw that it was just the BASE price. Total with all the fees was like $250. So bummed. For only $30 more we can get the same car with all the insurance included by using uscarhire.com from the UK. Not a great deal until you factor in all the insurance. And yes I know that our insurance will cover the rental, but DH is soooo paranoid about using ours.:rolleyes2 It would have to be a ridiculous deal to convince him to use our insurance. So, I will keep looking!:surfweb:

I don't believe you can get the insurances included if you're a US or Can driver. They used to do it but now they don't any longer according to their website:
http://www.uscarhire.com/carrentaldomestic.aspx

RMAMom
07-20-2012, 02:47 PM
I just booked a mid size for 165.00 from Dollar for 9 days using the city special. The only info I gave was name phone and email. It didn't ask me how many drivers, insurance or anything.
So what am I missing and how much can I expect this price to increase at the counter? :confused3

ppony
07-20-2012, 06:54 PM
I just booked a mid size for 165.00 from Dollar for 9 days using the city special. The only info I gave was name phone and email. It didn't ask me how many drivers, insurance or anything.
So what am I missing and how much can I expect this price to increase at the counter? :confused3

The insurance information was on that page you were directed to after you clicked on the since of vehicle you wanted. It was below the bunch of things you could select like car seats and GPS. They were called "protection packages". Then on the next page, where you put in your name for the reservation, if you looked below, there was an area to click to see "policies, terms & conditions" In there it said that there "may" be a charge for additional drivers (I'd expect it). If you want to have a better idea of what you'll pay w/ their insurance, you better go back to that.

Snoozan
07-20-2012, 08:14 PM
Just booked for 10/22-10/27 for a midsize for $209 using the Dollar city special. Not great at all, but at least I've got something to start from. I had resigned myself to the fact I'd be using ME for this trip, which I've never done, but I was a bit panicky thinking we'd be 'stuck' without a car.

ash-n-brensmom
07-22-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't believe you can get the insurances included if you're a US or Can driver. They used to do it but now they don't any longer according to their website:
http://www.uscarhire.com/carrentaldomestic.aspx

That's odd because my invoice from them states that I have booked a car with silver inclusive that includes all the insurance. I am going to send them a request for more information. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

mdurette
07-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Does this deal (or Dollar at MCO) allow a spouse to be an additional driver for free?

I went through the booking process and the 'fine print' does not say spouses are free...

I also did some Google-in and found this article (http://www.elliott.org/the-troubleshooter/dollars-additional-driver-fee-that-wont-go-away/) form earlier this yer where it looks like Dollar reserves the right to charge an additional driver fee for spouses.

From Mousesavers:
Additional Drivers
Be aware that most Dollar locations, including the Orlando airport location, charge a premium on additional drivers, even if they are a spouse or domestic partner. Typically the cost is about $10 per day.

I booked using City Special. $301.12 for minivan from 10/12 to 10/19. I'm still looking for at least a full size for around $200. But, will take this for now.

nluvwithdisney
07-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the info with Dollar. Got a minivan for 10/28 - 11/3 for $297.

ash-n-brensmom
07-23-2012, 07:34 AM
I received a response to my email regarding our rental with uscarhire and they assured me that we are booked with insurance. Now, I sent a follow up email inquiring as to whether this was a new policy and would it affect us in the future. I will update with their response, just in case anyone is considering using this company.
BTW, my car will be supplied by Alamo at MCO.

GrnMtnMan
07-23-2012, 07:44 AM
From Mousesavers:
Additional Drivers
Be aware that most Dollar locations, including the Orlando airport location, charge a premium on additional drivers, even if they are a spouse or domestic partner. Typically the cost is about $10 per day.Thanks.

Jackatkc
07-23-2012, 03:00 PM
am I missing something. I don't see the city special on the site. Is it gone already?

elgerber
07-23-2012, 03:10 PM
am I missing something. I don't see the city special on the site. Is it gone already?

I found it last week, by searching for rates for my dates, then it was in the car selection column, a button to click on to see City Specials.

Jackatkc
07-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Found it. Thank you! Huge savings.

sympatico
07-24-2012, 01:43 PM
I received a response to my email regarding our rental with uscarhire and they assured me that we are booked with insurance. Now, I sent a follow up email inquiring as to whether this was a new policy and would it affect us in the future. I will update with their response, just in case anyone is considering using this company.
BTW, my car will be supplied by Alamo at MCO.

Will be checking for your answer. :)

SJerseyMommy
07-26-2012, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the Dollar Tip!!! I just booked a minivan for 10/13-10/20 for $300 including taxes and fees. That's $200 cheaper than anywhere else!!!!

Karlzmom
07-27-2012, 09:33 AM
:rolleyes1 still waiting....under 80 days out.....Come on deals!

sheri236
07-27-2012, 04:48 PM
:rolleyes1 still waiting....under 80 days out.....Come on deals!

I'm waiting too!! we are 90 days out and really want to use alamo. I guess we probably wont see any good deals for another month or so:sad1:

sympatico
07-28-2012, 06:09 AM
I'm waiting too!! we are 90 days out and really want to use alamo. I guess we probably wont see any good deals for another month or so:sad1:

We're 92 days out and want Alamo/National also. Please post back if you find anything good. We're going to need a minivan and probably a mid or full size. :)

Catira
07-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Hoping to find a rental for less then $192 for our Oct trip

JimS4210
07-28-2012, 05:14 PM
Just got a rental from Dollar for $209 for 10/7-10/13 using the city special code! That includes all the taxes and fees... Just use promo code 622. It's $147.03 plus tax and fees=$209. That's for a compact

Jim

DisneyBill
07-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Okay, had to get something on the books. So I just booked with Dollar 10-5 thru 10-9 (plus two extra hours) for a full size auto, total of 162.74. Using the city deal link, which shows as promo code 832. This is the first sub $200 I've found so far. Just a few days ago Alamo was still over $300.

ppony
07-28-2012, 10:08 PM
I wanted to sue Alamo/National too, but that Dollar deal was way too good to pass up, especially for a mini-van. I'm not going to cram us into a compact w/ all the stuff we have. Our last visit we trued a minivan becuase of all our "stuff" and it as AWESOME! We dind't even need to fold down the stroller, ever! :goodvibes It'll make our split stay easier too.

I fear the days of really cheap deals easy to find may be gone, like airlines are too. Not to say that they don't and won't happen, but regularly, I don't think so.

ash-n-brensmom
07-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Just wanted to follow up on our dealings with uscarhire to date...

They confirmed via email that we were completely covered with their Silver Inclusive package. They even adjusted my rental dates a few days later when my flight info was ready and our dates needed to be reduced by one day. Then this morning I received an email stating that we would NOT be covered due to Alamo changing their policy in Jan and we didn't book our car until March. I have sent an email stating how dissatisfied we are at this point and I am waiting for a response.

Looks like we are going to have to use either our own insurance (a rider possibly) or my DH's MasterCard may have supplemental insurance available. DH is so adamantly against using our own personal car insurance because apparently here in Ontario we have the highest insurance premiums in North America and he is afraid that if something happens it will only get more expensive. I understand his concern, I don't totally agree with him, but all this means is that I am on the lookout for a cheap rental and possibly will end up paying for more insurance to supplement.

So frustrated!!:headache:

sympatico
07-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Just wanted to follow up on our dealings with uscarhire to date...

They confirmed via email that we were completely covered with their Silver Inclusive package. They even adjusted my rental dates a few days later when my flight info was ready and our dates needed to be reduced by one day. Then this morning I received an email stating that we would NOT be covered due to Alamo changing their policy in Jan and we didn't book our car until March. I have sent an email stating how dissatisfied we are at this point and I am waiting for a response.

Looks like we are going to have to use either our own insurance (a rider possibly) or my DH's MasterCard may have supplemental insurance available. DH is so adamantly against using our own personal car insurance because apparently here in Ontario we have the highest insurance premiums in North America and he is afraid that if something happens it will only get more expensive. I understand his concern, I don't totally agree with him, but all this means is that I am on the lookout for a cheap rental and possibly will end up paying for more insurance to supplement.

So frustrated!!:headache:

You need an SEF27 Endorsement on your own car insurance in order to use that. Some Visa and Mastercards cover the collision and comprehensive but not the 3rd Party Liability. A couple years ago I backed into another vehicle with my rental car. The Visa collision insurance covered our rental and I had taken out National's Supplimental Liability and that paid for the other vehicle.
I tend to agree with your husband about using your own insurance but I guess that's what we're doing this time. :scared:
We had used uscarhire a few years ago with all the insurances included and that was the best stress free rental that we've had.

ash-n-brensmom
08-01-2012, 08:23 AM
You need an SEF27 Endorsement on your own car insurance in order to use that. Some Visa and Mastercards cover the collision and comprehensive but not the 3rd Party Liability. A couple years ago I backed into another vehicle with my rental car. The Visa collision insurance covered our rental and I had taken out National's Supplimental Liability and that paid for the other vehicle.
I tend to agree with your husband about using your own insurance but I guess that's what we're doing this time. :scared:
We had used uscarhire a few years ago with all the insurances included and that was the best stress free rental that we've had.

I am waiting to find out from our insurance what it will cost for that extra rider, and yes, our MC doesn't include 3rd party liability. It's interesting to hear your experience, thanks for sharing that. I will tell DH about using the MC and then supplementing with the car rental liability.

I am bummed about the change in policy, it really did come with peace of mind. I am still waiting to hear back on our situation, I don't expect anything, but I am giving them the chance to help us if they can.

Thanks again for the info!

HayGan
08-01-2012, 09:44 AM
I have Oct 12 - 22 reserved with National for a total of $284 for a midsize (I'm Emerald Exec level so want to stay with midsize to use the exec aisle). This is the best I can do with them so far using the KLM code and $30 BJ's coupon. I would love to get it below $250 but I'm not holding my breath!

garris3404
08-01-2012, 02:19 PM
Columbus Day seems to be driving rental prices higher this year.

Thanks for the heads up on the 'City Specials' at Dollar. For October 7 - 14, I found $247.44 for full size and $372.80 for minivan. Snagged it and will keep looking. Thanks again!

OKWAnneMarie
08-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks so much for the "City Deals" special from Dollar. You guys are GREAT!!!

sympatico
08-01-2012, 04:40 PM
I am waiting to find out from our insurance what it will cost for that extra rider, and yes, our MC doesn't include 3rd party liability. It's interesting to hear your experience, thanks for sharing that. I will tell DH about using the MC and then supplementing with the car rental liability.

I am bummed about the change in policy, it really did come with peace of mind. I am still waiting to hear back on our situation, I don't expect anything, but I am giving them the chance to help us if they can.

The SEF27 only costs $25 or $30 . My son just added it to his policy.

Dziactor
08-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Looking for Alamo as well. Hope the prices get lower as we get closer to the date, leaving late Oct.

keishashadow
08-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the 'City Specials' at Dollar. For October 7 - 14, I found $247.44 for full size and $372.80 for minivan. Snagged it and will keep looking. Thanks again!

we travel this time frame and both airfare and rental cars take a bump, as with most holidays to be expected. We switched things around a few years ago and now start our trips two saturdays prior to Columbus day and get a bit of a break in price.:)

sympatico
08-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Looking for Alamo as well. Hope the prices get lower as we get closer to the date, leaving late Oct.

Alamo van and suv prices are down a little tonight, not as far as I'd like to see them for the end of Oct but they are cheaper than the cars right now.
First res. made tonight, I wonder how many times I'll change it before we go . :crazy2:

connorlevismom
08-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Alamo van and suv prices are down a little tonight, not as far as I'd like to see them for the end of Oct but they are cheaper than the cars right now.
First res. made tonight, I wonder how many times I'll change it before we go . :crazy2:

What codes did you use?

sympatico
08-03-2012, 05:22 PM
What codes did you use?

Insiders ID code and $35. ecoupon AD2359FDF

Luckymomoftwo
08-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Hi there! Not sure if this is the right place to ask or not, but we have relatives that will be joining us in October at WDW. They want to rent a car but have no major credit card other than their bank debit card. How can they go about renting a car without having to tie up their bank account (don't the rental companies charge debit cards for a couple of weeks so you don't have access to your own funds until they release it back?) I've always had a major credit card, so this issue is all new to me!

Snoozan
08-05-2012, 10:36 AM
For anyone using the Dollar city deal code - my rate went down for 10/22-10/27 and I saved about $20. It's down to $189. Fingers crossed it continues to drop - I really hate to pay that much, but my DH is the impatient type and it's easier to have a car than wait for all the busses.(except to MK)

sympatico
08-05-2012, 04:07 PM

Here's a link to a thread on the Canadian boards about using your own car insurance:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2951534

MickeyMickey
08-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Prices in Tampa have really dropped the last couple of days. Just booked a minivan from Enterprise for $309 total for 8 days, October 19-27th. This is especially great because Enterprise doesn't charge for an additional driver if it is a spouse.

Very happy with this rate!

ShiPooOwner
08-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Prices in Tampa have really dropped the last couple of days. Just booked a minivan from Enterprise for $309 total for 8 days, October 19-27th. This is especially great because Enterprise doesn't charge for an additional driver if it is a spouse.

Very happy with this rate!

Did you use any codes or coupons? I'm gettting sky high rates from Alamo for Fort Myers. Enterprise is a sister company to Alamo and National if I remember right.

MickeyMickey
08-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Nope just kept watching the various companies on Expedia. Dollar came down $250 in the last 5 days or so and Enterprise probably $350, can't imagine I can do much better.

garris3404
08-08-2012, 10:55 AM

Rates dropped slightly for the full size. Down to $234.93. :)

Rule of thumb. Check daily. :thumbsup2

andijean
08-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks so much for the heads up!! I had booked the Dollar city deals a couple of weeks ago and checked today and saved another $70 on weekly minivan. I ended up with $239 for the week including tax for a minivan over Columbus weekend. That is an awesome rate!! I was going to book for a day through Alamo at the car care center but for $100 more I have it for the whole week. YEAH!!pixiedust:

hurleysweety
08-09-2012, 01:45 AM
Subbing to this thread and November - Our dates are 10/31-11/8. Thanks to that Dollar City Special, I found the best rate so far, $247.77 for a mid-size.

Almost $100 more than my average! But better than the $350 I was finding elsewhere.

ldhr2005
08-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Jusrt rebooked our Dollar reservation for a mini-van for 8 days in the first week of October. Went down from $280 all inclusive to $230. I'll take it:cool1:

GrnMtnMan
08-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Jusrt rebooked our Dollar reservation for a mini-van for 8 days in the first week of October. Went down from $280 all inclusive to $230. I'll take it:cool1:

Subbing to this thread and November - Our dates are 10/31-11/8. Thanks to that Dollar City Special, I found the best rate so far, $247.77 for a mid-size.

Almost $100 more than my average! But better than the $350 I was finding elsewhere.
Just a reminder that Dollar generally does not wave additional driver fees. In my case (wife and I trade-off driving back to hotel with our toddler for nap time) this brings Dollar's rates back in-line with everybody else.

From Mousesavers:
Additional Drivers
Be aware that most Dollar locations, including the Orlando airport location, charge a premium on additional drivers, even if they are a spouse or domestic partner. Typically the cost is about $10 per day.

ldhr2005
08-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I was actually aware of this as we have rented w/ Dollar in the past. I prefer Alamo, but the difference with Dollar is less than 1/2. We generally stay together as a family for the duration, and my husband prefers to drive than ride- so for us it works!!!

Karlzmom
08-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Still can't even get close to my $327 full size SUV from Oct 13-27th with an MCO pick up and FLL drop. Hoping it will still blip a bit....

Karlzmom
08-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Sorry...had to give this thread a :dance3: bounce....getting too close to be buried!

Anyone seeing any movement on prices?

wdwfanatic316
08-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Sorry, I haven't found any lower prices, but I did have a question. This is our first time renting a car for our entire stay, and I was wondering if the rate we have is considered a pretty good rate? Currently have Dollar City special reserved for 1 week, mid-size from 10/13 - 10/20 for base rate $135.72, total of $196.14. I thought that seem pretty decent- is that not the case?

Thansk! :goodvibes

webworm
08-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Sorry, I haven't found any lower prices, but I did have a question. This is our first time renting a car for our entire stay, and I was wondering if the rate we have is considered a pretty good rate? Currently have Dollar City special reserved for 1 week, mid-size from 10/13 - 10/20 for base rate $135.72, total of $196.14. I thought that seem pretty decent- is that not the case?

Thansk! :goodvibes

I think you are still too far in advance to get a great rate. Just to give you an example if you were booking through Costco for 1 week from Sep 15 -22 like a month from now you can get a midsize with Budget and free additional driver for $107 inc taxes. What I don't like about Dollar is they charge $10/day for an additional driver so you can add another $70 to the total. The best rates are 1 month or less before your dates.

GrnMtnMan
08-14-2012, 10:20 PM
The best rates are 1 month or less before your dates.I've found this to be the case for my past 7 or so trips. Let's hope it's the case this year too.

tomjul811
08-15-2012, 10:15 AM
I cant find the dollar city deal anywhere. can someome give me the promo code or tell me where to find it

garris3404
08-15-2012, 10:52 AM

Rates dropped slightly for the minivan. Down to $336.23. :)

Rule of thumb. Check daily. :thumbsup2

garris3404
08-15-2012, 10:54 AM
I cant find the dollar city deal anywhere. can someome give me the promo code or tell me where to find it

Go to dollar website. Enter date and times. On the next page, click the "check for city special" button to get the special rates.

keishashadow
08-15-2012, 01:16 PM
don't forget the alamo insider's # 7015135 switched to it today:thumbsup2

ammag
08-15-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi- our trip is oct 19-26 and the plane leaves at 7am ny time...meaning DH and I will be up arund 4am before herding DD5 and DS1 onto the plane. I am trying to find the cheapest option but I cannot be taking a shuttle to a far off car lot. What company is the fastest and easiest to rent from and drop off? Do some have the automated kiosks? thanks!

ps- prob silly question but I see people reserving cars and possibly changing/ cancelling the reservation in the future. d the companies not take payment up front?

AnjieNet
08-19-2012, 12:06 AM
Advantage beat our Dollar City Special by $60. We now have a three day mid-size rental for $68. Still would rather do Alamo or National so we could pick-up at MCO and drop off at Car Care Center but so far the cost is so much cheaper, it'll be worth the extra time, I think.

mdsd8700
08-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi- our trip is oct 19-26 and the plane leaves at 7am ny time...meaning DH and I will be up arund 4am before herding DD5 and DS1 onto the plane. I am trying to find the cheapest option but I cannot be taking a shuttle to a far off car lot. What company is the fastest and easiest to rent from and drop off? Do some have the automated kiosks? thanks!

ps- prob silly question but I see people reserving cars and possibly changing/ cancelling the reservation in the future. d the companies not take payment up front?

The major companies, National, Alamo, Dollar, Budget, Avis, Thrifty, Hertz are all located on property at the Orlando Airport so no shuttle involved, you just walk across the street. If you sign up for any of their "programs" you can use pre enter all your information and use a kiosk to get your car. We have used Dollar, Budget and Alamo doing this. Feel free to book and cancel reservations as you find better rates, there is no penalty/payment up front for doing so

sanibelover
08-19-2012, 11:37 AM

National Emerald Isle (medium sized cars or better) is very convenient - just go to the Islae and pick your car. No lines at all. You can also do Emerald Reserve which just means you reserve the car class you want (ie mini-van), then you just go to the mini-van line and pick the one you want. Again, no lines, no kiosk, etc.

There are alot of discount codes and coupons (you can use both) available online. We have an Emerald Isle ressie for Oct 9-15 for $204 total.

sheri236
08-19-2012, 04:01 PM
just booked the city special thru dollar for $215, full size oct 25-30. its the lowest i've seen yet but alamo did drop $40 for us so hopefully it keeps coming down as we would definitely prefer alamo. :)

ppony
08-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Oct. 13-22 here. I'm trying to decide if we can make do w/ a full size at $278 or need the mini-van for $100 more. Still a great price on a minivan through Dollar. sigh If we didn't have so much "stuff" we travel with. :crazy2:

Joan S.
08-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Hi,Since my trip is now 2 months away:cheer2: I am looking everyday for my car rental fee to go DOWN!! Is there any MAGIC number of weeks before the trip that prices tend to be at their lowest?? Thanks,Joan

ktm62
08-21-2012, 07:25 PM
keep checking car rentals dot com. my price has gone down several times now paying 195 for 11 days ,full size car.... they list all agencies :)

brenda1966
08-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Am trying to do a one way rental from TPA to MCO 10/26 - 11/3.
So far best rate I can find is 312 with fees and taxes (avis).
I saw Advantage for less (252) , but I'm not sure of the reputation of this company.
Of course Fox is way less, but with such bad rep, I won't risk driving a car from there that far and that long.
Any ideas? Most of the coupon codes don't work for one way rentals.

Angel16
08-22-2012, 02:14 AM
Just booked Dollar's City Special Mini Van at $165.30 per week and $23.48 for two additional days. We are renting for 16 days mid September.

I would still like to get a deal from National and not sure we need a Mini Van. Just thought it was closer to what we are use to...a Highlander. :confused3 I have time to figure it out and change.

GrnMtnMan
08-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Is there any MAGIC number of weeks before the trip that prices tend to be at their lowest??For the pas few years, its been around 3 to 4 weeks before a trip that prices finally came down to the good deal ballpark.

webworm
08-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Just booked Dollar's City Special Mini Van at $165.30 per week and $23.48 for two additional days. We are renting for 16 days mid September.

I would still like to get a deal from National and not sure we need a Mini Van. Just thought it was closer to what we are use to...a Highlander. :confused3 I have time to figure it out and change.

Just to clarify that would be $292.62 inc taxes. If the additional driver is important to you Dollar charges $10/day extra.

HayGan
08-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Everyone I check remains significantly higher than the ~$280 rate I currently have with National using the KLM code for Oct 12-22. I even tried the carrentals.com site and they only thing I can get for a better price is an economy (and that isn't happening!!!)

90byrd
08-22-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't understand, all I am looking for is an economy/compact for a week in Oct (20-27). The best I'm finding anywhere is $300+ What am I doing wrong here??

GrnMtnMan
08-22-2012, 02:22 PM
What am I doing wrong here??Looking too soon.:rotfl2:

Anyway, prices are high right now, but we're all hoping that the typical pattern is followed, and 3-4 weeks out from trip dates the discounts start coming in.

Also, Dollar has these city specials that look to be decent deals....do a reservation search on Dollar's website then click on the city special link and you'll see better rates...closer to what I'm expecting/hoping Alamo and Enterprise to be once my trip window approaches.

But be warned that apparently Dollar likes to nickle-and-dime and does not include a spouse as a driver for free...so add $10 per day if applicable. In my case that added fee makes their rates just as high as all the other companies.

90byrd
08-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks!
I did find a good deal at Advantage, are they a decent company? They offer a Gov't leisure rate that I would qualify for.

I'd get a large car for $154.

jjj444
08-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Am trying to do a one way rental from TPA to MCO 10/26 - 11/3.
So far best rate I can find is 312 with fees and taxes (avis).
I saw Advantage for less (252) , but I'm not sure of the reputation of this company.
Of course Fox is way less, but with such bad rep, I won't risk driving a car from there that far and that long.
Any ideas? Most of the coupon codes don't work for one way rentals.

I am looking for a one way rental the same places as you just different times and am getting really worried!! Why should that drive up the price of the rental?? I thought this type of thing was done all the time

brenda1966
08-22-2012, 03:43 PM
I am looking for a one way rental the same places as you just different times and am getting really worried!! Why should that drive up the price of the rental?? I thought this type of thing was done all the time

It drives up the price of the rentals because we are penalized for not taking the car back to its starting point. If too many people want to move cars in one direction, and no one wants to move them back, then we pay more. Also depends on whether the company charges 'drop fees' for this. They shouldn't since it's instate and not that far. Mostly I think it's because most coupons and deals are null and void for one way travel.

So, I don't expect I'll find as low of a deal as others here, but I don't want to get ripped off either.

Southerndisney
08-24-2012, 10:55 AM
I am looking for a one way rental from Sanford airport to WDW on Oct 4th. Just a one day rental. I wish there was a cheap way to get from Sandford to WDW. Hopefully the one day rates will come down when we get closer to Oct.

ash-n-brensmom
08-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Hi everyone, just wanted to update you on what happened with our rental agreement with UScarhire. We had to get on them to get a final answer but thankfully it's a positive one. They are honoring our original reservation which includes all of the insurance. We are very relieved with this, but realize that this is the last time we will be able to take advantage of this offer.

I had been able to find some good deals with Dollar at $190 and Advantage at $173, but all insurance included and renting with Alamo that included all the insurance and an additional driver we couldn't pass up their rate at $213. DH is much happier with this...and now he has a year to come to grips with using our own insurance with a supplemental rider attached. :rolleyes1

Good luck to everyone here with getting the best rates!!

webworm
08-24-2012, 12:50 PM
I am looking for a one way rental from Sanford airport to WDW on Oct 4th. Just a one day rental. I wish there was a cheap way to get from Sandford to WDW. Hopefully the one day rates will come down when we get closer to Oct.

Not sure what rate you have found so far for a 1 day rental. With Alamo using Costco ID 7014627 and E-Coupon AU2291VYT for a free upgrade (booking compact with upgrade to midsize) the total is $53. This is picking up at SFB and dropping at WDW (ORLR72).

webworm
08-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I don't understand, all I am looking for is an economy/compact for a week in Oct (20-27). The best I'm finding anywhere is $300+ What am I doing wrong here??

Try Budget using D454300 (Wendie's special offer) and E-Coupon MUGZ029 for $30.00 off. Total for a midsize SUV is $172 inc taxes after coupon is applied when return vehicle. A compact is $20.00 less.

disneyfam2000
08-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Ok I thought I'd chime in on this thread regarding rental cars. Well we are going to DLC in June of 2013 and staying for 9 nights and we live 8 hrs. north of L.A. so we get a rental every time. We will need the vehicle for 10 days and we always go through Costcotravel.com this time we are renting Chevy Tahoe for 10 days for $561.00 out the door and that's with Avis via Costco Travel. :cool1::dance3::cheer2:

ppony
08-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Try Budget using D454300 (Wendie's special offer) and E-Coupon MUGZ029 for $30.00 off. Total for a midsize SUV is $172 inc taxes after coupon is applied when return vehicle. A compact is $20.00 less.

WOW!THANK YOU! that beat my best option so far by over $100!!! And it saved us from having to decide between a mini-van and a full size which were $100 apart but honestly, the car would have been tight for all we need to bring with. Now I have the mid-size SUV and we'll be great! THANK YOU!!! $275 total for 8 days 21 hours!

Shelly F - Ohio
08-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Believe me and the OP that you guys are looking WAY too early for car rentals. The prices will drop closer to the date you need to pick up the rental. Trust me!
Take a look at the Aug car rental thread it was started months ago and those DISers were stating their rental prices are high yet if you look at the last pages of that thread you will see that the prices have now come way down.
So don't panic you are just looking to early. I never book my car until 7-10 days before I leave and the last 3 trips I got a mid size for a week at Alamo for just under $100.00 I have another trip planed for Oct as well but I am not going to book until I am a week to 10 days from my trip date.

:thumbsup2

ppony
08-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Believe me and the OP that you guys are looking WAY too early for car rentals. The prices will drop closer to the date you need to pick up the rental. Trust me!
Take a look at the Aug car rental thread it was started months ago and those DISers were stating their rental prices are high yet if you look at the last pages of that thread you will see that the prices have now come way down.
So don't panic you are just looking to early. I never book my car until 7-10 days before I leave and the last 3 trips I got a mid size for a week at Alamo for just under $100.00 I have another trip planed for Oct as well but I am not going to book until I am a week to 10 days from my trip date.

:thumbsup2

I'll keep looking! ;) I'm happy w/ what we have... though probably because we used to pay whatever we found months and months out w/o ever looking for codes.:bitelip: But thanks for the tip that those mega deals will materialize the closer we get. :thumbsup2

disneyfam2000
08-24-2012, 02:28 PM

Ok one question do you have Costco membership? If you do then you can definitely get a deal through Costco Travel, you can log in or create an acct. if you haven't created one yet then log in and search under rental cars. I have seen some amazing prices for the size car your looking for. What is your limit price wise?

wgeo
08-24-2012, 04:24 PM

Thanks for posting this. We used codes very close to these last year from Budget to get a SUV and were happy there, it was easy and the spouse was free as an additional driver no hassle. So far this year the best I had was $220 for a SUV for a week at National. I had been checking Budget with last years codes, but haven't looked for a few days. Your codes worked great and it is for $15 less than last year. :cool1: If better rates for SUV's come out that will be great, but if not I'm ok paying $170 for a SUV for a week.

90byrd
08-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks! How do you know the coupon gets applied after you return it?

swankybeth
08-26-2012, 03:50 PM

Thanks for posting this, I just saved $105 off my City Special with Dollar!! :banana:

smallfri1112
08-27-2012, 07:57 AM

Thank you for this code!! I just booked an intermediate SUV from October 12 - 19 for $202!! :yay:

amym2
08-27-2012, 07:59 AM
I booked with the Wendie's code ($175 with taxes for compact for 6 days). I did some checking and the MUGZ029 is a Costco code, so since we don't have a Costco membership we won't use it. Still a good deal even without it!

amym2
08-27-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks! How do you know the coupon gets applied after you return it?

Not sure, but since it's a Costco code I assume you'd have to show some sort of ecoupon from them?

Enter User Name
08-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks for Wendie's special offer! By far the best discount yet.

somanykids
08-27-2012, 09:34 PM
We are looking to rent a car to drive to WDW from KC Oct 9th - 16th. Since we are a family of 7 we will need a minivan or full size SUV. Where should I look to get the best deals? I really want to shave off as much of this part of the expense as I can so we can put that money in the spending money fund! Obviously, we would need something with unlimited miles. What's the best company to look at for this?

TIA!!

disneyfam2000
08-29-2012, 12:00 AM
We are looking to rent a car to drive to WDW from KC Oct 9th - 16th. Since we are a family of 7 we will need a minivan or full size SUV. Where should I look to get the best deals? I really want to shave off as much of this part of the expense as I can so we can put that money in the spending money fund! Obviously, we would need something with unlimited miles. What's the best company to look at for this?

TIA!!

Do you have a Costco membership? If so they have good prices on their website if you rent from Enterprise or Avis. if not Enterprise and Avis has good prices!! And what is your limit your willing to spend on a rental? :teacher:

webworm
08-29-2012, 08:29 AM

TIA!!

Try Budget using BCD x474200 (travelocity code) and E-Coupon MUGZ029 for $30 off.

somanykids
08-29-2012, 02:46 PM
We don't have a Costco membership but have considered getting one. Would the benefits outweigh the membership cost? We have budgeted the full, undiscounted price for renting a minivan but I'm trying to save all the money I can. When we called Enterprise, they quoted us a price of $630 for the week. I KNOW I can do better than that! Budget without the codes webworm provided was almost $100 less.

disneyfam2000
08-29-2012, 06:34 PM
We don't have a Costco membership but have considered getting one. Would the benefits outweigh the membership cost? We have budgeted the full, undiscounted price for renting a minivan but I'm trying to save all the money I can. When we called Enterprise, they quoted us a price of $630 for the week. I KNOW I can do better than that! Budget without the codes webworm provided was almost $100 less.

Well I looked on the Costco travel website and I saw a special for an SUV for the days you said and got a quote for Enterprise rental at $583.00 taxes included. But the only thing that's separate is the $200.00 deposit :( So it might be more justifiable going through webworm. Just because through Costco you would have to add the $50.00 to the rental price for membership. I'm not sure if the pricing is different in your area, what area do you live in or at least what state?

disneyfam2000
08-29-2012, 06:42 PM

This is a quote I got through Costco travel for an SUV, for June 5-13 Rental Price: $486.33
Taxes and fees are included in the price, so if you add the $200.00 deposit it still comes out to be a good price!! But like I said I couldn't get an exact quote for your travel dates because I don't know what state you live in. You can PM me if you want.

thumbalyna
08-29-2012, 07:37 PM
just booked with alamo - a mid size car from sept 29 to oct 8th with their sunshine promo for 177

Joan S.
08-29-2012, 10:02 PM

GREAT deal!! Thank You!! Got a midsize SUV for 9 days (10/22-31) FOR $275.11:cool1:

julirina
08-29-2012, 11:01 PM

Try Alamo -- with the Insiders membership code (free to sign up) and coupon code AD2359FDF, I have a minivan from 9/29-10/10 (11 days) for $385. No Costco membership required. :)

I'm still hoping it goes down a little more in the next few weeks! I got a similar deal with Dollar using the City Special, but I really like the Alamo kiosk/pickup better than a hard-sell rental counter.

HayGan
08-31-2012, 09:18 AM
I keep checking regulary and the best I can do is $284 (all inclusive) with National for our dates of 10/12-22. This is using the KLM code and an Entertainment Book coupon for $20 off. I would love to save more but it certainly is a rate I can live with if nothing better comes up.

disneyfam2000
09-01-2012, 08:56 AM
GREAT deal!! Thank You!! Got a midsize SUV for 9 days (10/22-31) FOR $275.11:cool1:

That's an awesome deal!! :thumbsup2

lindsmom
09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
bumping, in case the deals start hitting soon?

n2mm
09-05-2012, 07:20 AM
bumping, in case the deals start hitting soon?

Still watching and waiting. I love National, but they are out of my league right now. My rental is two weeks, so I need a good price. Alamo is my second choice, but would always pay a little more to stick with National. 5 weeks away....

ckmiles
09-05-2012, 08:14 AM
I have been looking for a rental for the past week now and the rates are so high ($300 for a week). I am hoping the rates will get better as I get closer to my arrival date.

The Wendie offer is sold out for my dates :worried:

keishashadow
09-05-2012, 09:55 AM
I have been looking for a rental for the past week now and the rates are so high ($300 for a week). I am hoping the rates will get better as I get closer to my arrival date.

The Wendie offer is sold out for my dates :worried:

i'm glad i booked a rate the beginning of July that i thought was high (40% more than what i paid the same time period the year before:faint:)

so many people here say they wait to book until a few weeks out for best rate in September (my trip spans end of Sept into 1st week of Oct so i'm monitoring both threads here) out but not so sure that strategy is going to work out this year.

i've given up pricing out national. Used dollar for 1st time in years this summer out of MCO and was pleasantly surprised as to the overall process. I encountered no 'hard sell' and had short wait in line at non-peak time. Their city special for a standard is currently the same price i have for 8 nights thru alamo for my dates $143 and has hovered there for last 2 weeks. If it drops substantially more i'll likely ditch the alamo reservation.

Lilo&Stitch
09-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Rates for my dates in late October are still high, but I have also been looking for my friends who are going the beginning of October, just got them a 7 day rental (Compact) at Dollar using KISS2 for a total (including taxes) of $154, this is the best i've found so far ! the larger vehicles were priced similarly !

This was even cheaper than the city special

GrnMtnMan
09-05-2012, 02:28 PM
[Deleted post]

GrnMtnMan
09-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Looks like Enterprise has started some discounts.

Using Costco codes, a Saturday to Sunday week-long (pickup 10/13) rental is currently listed at under $200

Total Cost Estimate
For a(n) Intermediate
rental ( Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra or similar ).
1 Week @ $ 115.40 USD $ 115.40 USD
1 Day @ $ 16.49 USD $ 16.49 USD
Drop Charge $ 0.00 USD
CUSTOMER FACILITY CHARGE 2.50/DAY $ 12.50 USD
AIRPORT ACCESS FEE 10 PCT $ 13.69 USD
FLORIDA SURCHARGE 2.00/DAY $ 16.00 USD
TIRE/BATTERY FEE .02/DAY $ 0.16 USD
VEHICLE LICENSE FEE .62/DAY $ 4.96 USD
SALES TAX $ 11.65 USD
* Total Charges $ 190.85 USDP.S. I got different prices plugging the Costco code in directly at Enterprise's website than I did using Costco's own website tool.

ckmiles
09-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I booked Dollar for 133 base rate (total for taxes $200).

This was the city special. The KISS2 rate was coming in at $160 + taxes.

I'm going to bet its going to drop and I will keep looking. I enjoy the bargain hunting!

GrnMtnMan
09-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I booked Dollar for 133 base rate (total for taxes $200).

This was the city special. The KISS2 rate was coming in at $160 + taxes.

I'm going to bet its going to drop and I will keep looking. I enjoy the bargain hunting!Forewarned...Dollar nickles and dimes you on the spouse-as-additional-driver, to the tune of an additional $10 per day.

Budget, Alamo, Avis, and Enterprise have pretty easy ways to avoid this fee, if an additional driver is not already included in your rate code (I think all Costco codes do for all the companies).

In my case, that additional fee never made the City Special a good deal.

bastraker
09-05-2012, 03:55 PM
Looks like Enterprise has started some discounts.

Using Costco codes, a Saturday to Sunday week-long (pickup 10/13) rental is currently listed at under $200

P.S. I got different prices plugging the Costco code in directly at Enterprise's website than I did using Costco's own website tool.

Thanks for posting this. I just got a 9 day rental at Enterprise for $250 for a premium car going through the Costco website.

Looks like the prices are starting to come down!!

TyRy
09-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Checked this morning and Enterprise intermediate had come down a bit using Costco and upgrade to $335 for 10 days so I booked. I just checked again a few minutes ago and it had come down another $100 to $235. Now I'm much happier, but will still be checking to see if it comes down more. :thumbsup2

I just checked Dollar as well since a friend has a minivan rental with them for a different week and their prices are way down as for Mid-size and full size. Really wish we could use that, but need the minivan for five of us - 2 kids in boosters and and scooter.

Karlzmom
09-05-2012, 09:48 PM
No movement on my rental yet.....:rolleyes1 38 days and counting......

mdsd8700
09-05-2012, 11:24 PM
DH and I going without kids for a short trip and bringing only carryons. Just needed a small vehicle as we like to have our own transportation. Got a great rate on an ecomony car for $14.14 per day plus fees/taxes. 4 day total $90 at Dollar. Second driver is never an issue for us as DH is the only one who ever drives when we are on vacation.

mieuxmew
09-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Dollar full size 9 days from MCO 10/13-10/21 $199 including all taxes/fees. Premium $237. Minivans is $368. Look under city special.

ckmiles
09-06-2012, 07:49 AM
I just booked thru BJ's and got $168 including taxes for enterprise compact car.

I dont need the additional driver, it works on that my BFF likes to drive and I dont! :drive:

I will keep looking to see if I can get the rate lower.

HayGan
09-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Dollar full size 9 days from MCO 10/13-10/21 $199 including all taxes/fees. Premium $237. Minivans is $368. Look under city special.

I looked yesterday at the Dollar city special for 10/12-10/22 and with taxes and fees it was nearly $300. I know it is two more days but not sure how you were able to get it for $100 less. I was getting a price of right around $200 before I went all the way thru the booking process and they added on the taxes and fees which were almost $90!

So far the best deal for my dates continues to be National with the KLM code at $280.

AndreaDM
09-06-2012, 10:02 AM
I checked this morning and my rates for Oct. 12-16 have dropped by almost half! Total with taxes for a midsize car for 4 days, $86 through Dollar.

elgerber
09-06-2012, 10:09 AM
I checked this morning and my rates for Oct. 12-16 have dropped by almost half! Total with taxes for a midsize car for 4 days, $86 through Dollar.

Wow, they are half of what they were yesterday! Thanks! Assuming Dollar is in terminal, never used them before?

bastraker
09-06-2012, 10:16 AM
I looked yesterday at the Dollar city special for 10/12-10/22 and with taxes and fees it was nearly $300. I know it is two more days but not sure how you were able to get it for $100 less. I was getting a price of right around $200 before I went all the way thru the booking process and they added on the taxes and fees which were almost $90!

So far the best deal for my dates continues to be National with the KLM code at $280.

Check again. I just booked dollar under the city special for $194 for a full size car for 9 days.

HayGan
09-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Check again. I just booked dollar under the city special for $194 for a full size car for 9 days.

Thanks! I did book a full size for $213 incl fees/taxes but was wondering if there are there any additional codes or coupons you can use with city specials?

I will still keep checking with National because I would prefer to have a rental there since I am exec level but $70 exactly a small difference in price!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

wdwfanatic316
09-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks for this update, I just got the Dollar City Special changed from $196 to $138 Midsize for 10/13 - 10/21! :thumbsup2

GrnMtnMan
09-06-2012, 01:34 PM
Enterprise's Costco codes are down even further today.

I brought my rate down $10 and moved from an intermediate to a full-size.
Car and Rate Information:
Full Size
Chevy Impala, Nissan Altima, Dodge Charger or similar
107.10 USD (1 Week @ 107.10)
0.00 USD (Drop Charge)
15.30 USD (1 Day @ 15.30)
12.50 USD (CUSTOMER FACILITY CHARGE 2.50/DAY)
12.74 USD (AIRPORT ACCESS FEE 10 PCT)
16.00 USD (FLORIDA SURCHARGE 2.00/DAY)
0.16 USD (TIRE/BATTERY FEE .02/DAY)
4.96 USD (VEHICLE LICENSE FEE .62/DAY)
10.97 USD (SALES TAX)
Total Charges 179.73 USD

TyRy
09-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Enterprise's Costco codes are down even further today.

I brought my rate down $10 and moved from an intermediate to a full-size.

Thanks for this. I checked this morning and they were the same as last night, but just checked again and saved almost another $30 for our rental.

lindsmom
09-06-2012, 05:52 PM
We're going 10/4 - 10/12. Just traded in my $175 full size with Dollar for $238 Premium from Enterprise through BJ's which will include spouse / extra driver. Happy we won't have to worry about the extra driver, and surprised the premium was the least expensive!

mdsd8700
09-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Thanks for this. I checked this morning and they were the same as last night, but just checked again and saved almost another $30 for our rental.

I got a great rate last night at Dollar ($90 with taxes) for a 4 day economy and then checked again about an hour ago and the rates were even lower, got a 4 day mid size for $85 with taxes. Now the rates have appeared to have gone way up. My current mid size rate is now $171 with taxes. That is a big difference. I am glad I re-booked an hour ago!

TyRy
09-06-2012, 07:12 PM
I got a great rate last night at Dollar ($90 with taxes) for a 4 day economy and then checked again about an hour ago and the rates were even lower, got a 4 day mid size for $85 with taxes. Now the rates have appeared to have gone way up. My current mid size rate is now $171 with taxes. That is a big difference. I am glad I re-booked an hour ago!

Just checked Costco again and WOW :eek: The same car I booked earlier for around $200 is back to $335. Just what it was a day or two ago. So glad I have access at work to keep checking.

syk731
09-06-2012, 07:14 PM
I just rechecked Dollar and rebooked. I got a full-size car for a week (end Oct/beg Nov) for $122 including taxes! I tried the city special but got a lower rate with the 76892 code (from Mousesavers).

ETA: Actually, I just changed it to a mid-size for $114 because I can use a free upgrade coupon from BJs.

CaliforniaDreaming
09-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Got a Dollar fullsize for $155/week all tax and fees included with the city special. Awesome!!

jcanary
09-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Just Booked with Dollar city special and saved over $58 over my National reservation,plus I upgraded to full size from mid-size. going Oct 6-12 so it's over the holiday. Is there any way to avoid the counter at Dollar? I have always rented from Alamo or National and have never had to stand in line. Hubby won't be too happy if he has to stand in line again after all these years.:cool1:

sheri236
09-07-2012, 08:29 AM
wow! just checked my dollar rental and it dropped from $215 to $134 for a full size oct 25 to 30! I am still counting on alamo to drop in the weeks ahead but at least this is a rate I can live with if it doesn't! :)

garris3404
09-07-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm doing the happy dance! :cool1:

Rates finally dropped! Got a full size for 8 days (Oct 7-14) for $185.41! Will keep checking daily, as every bit helps! :thumbsup2

Karlzmom
09-07-2012, 10:38 AM
I guess I shouldn't really complain as we got a screaming deal at the time on our airfare to fly out of FLL instead of MCO, but boy is it messing up our car rental! I could really knock the rate back if we were MCO at both ends but the different drop is a killer :sad: Adding insult to injury, if I had kept my nerve I could have gotten the same air rate out of MCO. However, I was worried that it wouldn't drop that far and could have found myself with a real mess if I had waited.

So...I'm still sitting on my $327 for a full size SUV for the 14 days using enterprise and I have a National rental for exec aisle at $314. I prefer National, but really want the bigger vehicle. Not sure what I should do...seems like National has a cancel fee and it seems like a pain to trek out to the garage only to discover that there are only cars on the aisle [as they promise] and have to trek back into the terminal to stand in line at Enterprise and then still have a potential cancel fee for the National rental. Anyone have thoughts to offer?

ckmiles
09-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm so glad I stopped in this thread today, I just checked my rates and now I'm down to $145 including taxes with dollar for a compact!! :cool1:

I wonder how much lower it can go!! Yay!

HoosierDaddy71
09-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Got a question on the Budget code MUGZ029, did I read it correctly that the discount for that coupon code is not taken off until you return the car(SUV)? I reserved the Intermediate SUV with a price $139 weekly rate and $209 final cost. Should I expect to pay $30 less than the $209?? I am happy with the $209 but still checking for lower rates, but it is will really be $179 for a Ford Escape, I don't think I will bother checking any more. TIA

wgeo
09-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Got a question on the Budget code MUGZ029, did I read it correctly that the discount for that coupon code is not taken off until you return the car(SUV)? I reserved the Intermediate SUV with a price $139 weekly rate and $209 final cost. Should I expect to pay $30 less than the $209?? I am happy with the $209 but still checking for lower rates, but it is will really be $179 for a Ford Escape, I don't think I will bother checking any more. TIA

Yes, the coupon is applied when you return the car. I also have an SUV rented with this code, and I did the same thing last year. I pulled my receipts from last year (yes I save stuff like that :lmao:) and noticed that they took the $30 off of the 139 rate and then did taxes and fees. Soooo, actually when you return your vehicle your total will be closer to $175, because they are figuring taxes/fees off of a smaller amount. ;)

HoosierDaddy71
09-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Yes, the coupon is applied when you return the car. I also have an SUV rented with this code, and I did the same thing last year. I pulled my receipts from last year (yes I save stuff like that :lmao:) and noticed that they took the $30 off of the 139 rate and then did taxes and fees. Soooo, actually when you return your vehicle your total will be closer to $175, because they are figuring taxes/fees off of a smaller amount. ;)

Sweet! :thumbsup2 Thanks

We are flying into Tampa so the prices for Dollar are significantly higher there than MCO. About twice the price for the same week even with the city specials. Unless I want to rent from Advantage, Fox, or Payless I am not finding anything else close.

ppony
09-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Today I was able to change from the mid-size SUV with Budget at $275 (with codes) to same size with Dollar at $239 under the city special (no additional codes). :) I was happy before, but I'm even more so now. Additional driver wasn't an issue for us. My DH gets really CRABBY driving in unfamiliar territory, so I drive.

jjj444
09-10-2012, 10:29 AM
If things don't change I will be paying more for our rental car than I will for 4 flights down:confused3!!! I used some miles to buy our airline tickets and they are running cheaper than a compact car!!! We are flying into Tampa and returning the car to Orlando-is this what is making the price so high?? I am an alamo insider and punched in a few codes and it is still over $400 with taxes. I know they change all the time, but there is someone on the Sept. car rental sight that leaves in a week and she is saying her price has not gone down. I am starting to panic!!!

hurleysweety
09-10-2012, 11:15 AM
If things don't change I will be paying more for our rental car than I will for 4 flights down:confused3!!! I used some miles to buy our airline tickets and they are running cheaper than a compact car!!! We are flying into Tampa and returning the car to Orlando-is this what is making the price so high?? I am an alamo insider and punched in a few codes and it is still over $400 with taxes. I know they change all the time, but there is someone on the Sept. car rental sight that leaves in a week and she is saying her price has not gone down. I am starting to panic!!!

It is probably the one way drop fee. I was trying out different scenarios for our rental car (as we are going on a cruise in the middle of the trip), and saw that when I picked up at MCO and then dropped off at Port Canaveral, I was charged a $50 fee. :crazy2:

GrnMtnMan
09-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I know they change all the time, but there is someone on the Sept. car rental sight that leaves in a week and she is saying her price has not gone down. I am starting to panic!!!I still think the big discounts for mid/late October are still to come.

If you look at postings from last week, you'll see that Enterprise dropped prices for mid-October....and played with those prices a bit day to day and hour to hour. Those prices are back up right now, but I'll bet that was just a test to see where they should price their discounts for Alamo (which I think is the main vacation rental brand at MCO) when they release their near-term rental pricing.

HayGan
09-10-2012, 02:04 PM

Yes - renting from one location and returning to another is typically going to be more expensive because they will charge you a drop fee.

Sorry that you are running into this but this is a common mistake that people miscalculate when they decided to fly in/out of different airports. You may save on the flights but you will pay more in rental fees. Something you should always consider when pricing ut overall vacation costs. It often depends on how many people you have flying and what the difference is in airfare.

October rates are still likely to come down but you no one can guarantee it. I'm content with the rates I have but I certainly would liek to see it come down a bit more. Today none of the sites look that great. Although my national rate has remained constant for over a month now. It is probably my best chance for a lower rate. I do have a lower rate with Dollar but the more I think about it the more I think I would much rather stay for National. The additional charges at this point mean that I have full insurance coverage and Emerald Exec access. Worth it to me!

brenda1966
09-10-2012, 02:24 PM
It really depends on where you are picking up and dropping as to whether you are charged a 'drop fee'. I am picking up at TPA and dropping at MCO and all the quotes I have looked at do not contain any drop fees.

The problem with one ways is they you often cannot use any coupon codes or 'specials', so you do end up paying a bit more for for your rental, most likely. But keep looking. Mine just dropped $10. Hey, every little bit helps!

CaliforniaDreaming
09-10-2012, 07:48 PM
I went in to switch car sizes with Dollar today, prices are back up. Even the city special is $75 more total than last week. We'll just keep what we have!

skeeter31
09-11-2012, 07:54 AM
The best I've been able to get from Alamo at TPA is $201 for 10/3-10/7 for a compact (using Visa ID and coupon code). Prices have been steady for months now. I really hope they start dropping.

This is more than I paid in May when I was there for 8 nights and had a Full Size car from Alamo at MCO. It's craziness!!

webworm
09-11-2012, 08:06 AM
The best I've been able to get from Alamo at TPA is $201 for 10/3-10/7 for a compact (using Visa ID and coupon code). Prices have been steady for months now. I really hope they start dropping.

This is more than I paid in May when I was there for 8 nights and had a Full Size car from Alamo at MCO. It's craziness!!

With Dollar a 4 day rental for a compact is $168 inc taxes. Just click on city specials. You might want to try bidding on priceline for a deal on a 4 day rental.

mdsd8700
09-11-2012, 08:35 AM

Soon is when the rates should be coming down and better deals to be had. Keep your fingers crossed. I agree that rates seem very high, more than I have paid in the past. Dollar does seem to be running some good deals lately. We have used them in the past with no problems.

I too have a 4 day rental for mid October and last week for about 24 hours Dollar had awesome rates going. Initally I got a compact for the 4 days for $90 with taxes and fees. Then less than 12 hours later I was able to get a mid size for $85 with taxes and fees. By the afternoon the rates had gone up past the original price I had reserved the compact for, which I think was $137 with taxes and fees. Rates change constantly I would check as often as you can.

HoosierDaddy71
09-11-2012, 09:00 AM

If you book through budget with BCD D454300 and coupon MUGZ029, I show $172 and change. And you get $30 off that price at the time of return. Final cost around $140-$142.

ETA - Looks like you have to book for 5 days instead of 4 to get that price

tebookie
09-11-2012, 10:42 AM
I've noticed the rates at Alamo have gone up the past few days.

I have a full size rental booked for 9/28-10/9 using insider's code and BJ's $40 off 10 day rental coupon for $200. That is about $50-60 more than I usually pay for that time table.

I checked alamo today and they are up to $275. Wonder if they are increasing their rates before they bring them back down. Guess I will wait and see.

TyRy
09-11-2012, 11:04 AM
The rates at Alamo and Enterprise have been going up this week. I've got a rate I can live with for ten days, as I was able to jump when Costco lowered their rates last week. So anything else will be pure extra spending money :)

sargenca
09-11-2012, 12:26 PM
National has a coupon on their website (listed under Specials) for a “Free car-class upgrade”. It states that it is available for a reservation of a Compact through Standard-size car and valid for rentals through October 31, 2012.

A quote for a midsize – which is the Emerald Aisle – using the coupon...upgrades me to a standard-size car and says pickup is the “Aisle”. There isn't an aisle especially for standard-sized cars, right?

A quote for a compact - the coupon upgrades me to a midsize (which is usually Emerald Aisle) and says pickup is the airport. Doesn't mention the aisle or counter (?)

BTW – My current EA reservation is for Oct 8-Oct 13, using my work’s Contract ID = $232.71 (Using the coupon on a midsize upgraded to a standard would be the same; using the coupon on a compact upgraded to a midsize would be $221)

mouselovr
09-11-2012, 07:18 PM
has anyone rented through advantage car rental. I booked back in July and finally found my reservation!! YEAH!! Just wondering if I should switch companies if I get a chance?

Dziactor
09-12-2012, 05:36 PM
So far I'm planning to take Magical Express with these rates.

HelenParr
09-12-2012, 05:37 PM
I agree, crazy high rates. But I still have hope it'll change.

snoopy5386
09-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Just stumbled upon a great deal at Budget
https://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/html/en/deals/wendie.html?&ICID=homepage_billboard&IID=wendie_08_2012

$17 per day/$119 per week for economy/compact and $22 per day/$139 per week for SUV!

With taxes and fees minus a coupon from BJs I'll be paying $225 for a week for an SUV. Not bad!

mdsd8700
09-13-2012, 06:29 AM
https://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/html/en/deals/wendie.html?&ICID=homepage_billboard&IID=wendie_08_2012

$17 per day/$119 per week for economy/compact and $22 per day/$139 per week for SUV!

With taxes and fees minus a coupon from BJs I'll be paying $225 for a week for an SUV. Not bad!

I seen this a couple of weeks ago and tried to use it, but mine is a 4 day rental starting on Wednesday night. The rental has to start on a Thursday (end on Monday) for the $17 weekend compact rate to apply! A good deal for sure though.

snoopy5386
09-13-2012, 08:29 AM
I seen this a couple of weeks ago and tried to use it, but mine is a 4 day rental starting on Wednesday night. The rental has to start on a Thursday (end on Monday) for the $17 weekend compact rate to apply! A good deal for sure though.

That's odd. I was able to use it for a Saturday-Saturday Rental.

cluvsdisney
09-13-2012, 08:40 AM
I agree, crazy high rates. But I still have hope it'll change.

That's what I am hoping. I feel like looking for a decent deal is a part time job at this point. LOL

n2mm
09-13-2012, 09:03 AM

I tried this, but it doesn't work for my dates. I've used Budget before and they were OK, not my favorite, but the price was right. Not sure why my dates would not work. (Oct. 12 @ 3P to Oct. 27 @ 3P) Got 4 weeks and right now I'm using the Vroom code with Alamo (299851), hoping to use National as they are my favorite! I check daily several times. I saw some decent rates for September, so hoping we get some better deals soon.

mdsd8700
09-13-2012, 11:27 PM
That's odd. I was able to use it for a Saturday-Saturday Rental.

Sorry I wasn't clear. The rates are good for a week rental but for "weekend" rentals the fine print says the rental must start on "Thursday at xx time and end by Monday xx time" Since we arrive late Wednesday night the codes didn't apply to me and I got a crazy high rate. Anything more than 5 days I beleive is considered a week.

n2mm
09-14-2012, 06:31 AM
National had a drop yesterday. Not a major drop, but a lower base amount then what was offered earlier. I'm at $508 for a 2 week rental. Before that it was nearly double. I had Alamo for $481, so dropped it for National. I'm hoping for a lower rate, but have always found October to be my highest rental car rate and if a hurricane blows in, the rates will go up. I tried the Budget Wendie deal but it wouldn't work for my dates -- Oct. 12 to Oct. 27. I do check several times a day as I often will see rate changes mid day. Right now I have a $30 coupon, but watching for a better one.

FourBees
09-14-2012, 06:37 AM
So what is this vroom code I see. It brings the amount down alot but I don't know what it is. Do you have to be a member of some company?

HayGan
09-14-2012, 09:05 AM
National had a drop yesterday. Not a major drop, but a lower base amount then what was offered earlier. I'm at $508 for a 2 week rental. Before that it was nearly double. I had Alamo for $481, so dropped it for National. I'm hoping for a lower rate, but have always found October to be my highest rental car rate and if a hurricane blows in, the rates will go up. I tried the Budget Wendie deal but it wouldn't work for my dates -- Oct. 12 to Oct. 27. I do check several times a day as I often will see rate changes mid day. Right now I have a $30 coupon, but watching for a better one.

I'm surprised your rates is so much. I have National for Oct 12-22 and it is $280 for mid-size Exec Aisle. This rate is using the KLM code and an Entertainment Book coupon for $20 off. It is remained the same for well over a month now.

n2mm
09-14-2012, 09:20 AM
I'm surprised your rates is so much. I have National for Oct 12-22 and it is $280 for mid-size Exec Aisle. This rate is using the KLM code and an Entertainment Book coupon for $20 off. It is remained the same for well over a month now.

I know, it is high. I've never been comfortable using the KLM code. I did crunch the numbers and could save $83 with KLM. I almost used it once, but got a lower rate with my other codes. I didn't like that you couldn't cancel it online and had to either call or email them to cancel it. (I emailed them). The KLM puts me at $423 total.

There is a new coupon for $30. It's ND9334SND. I got it the other night with my monthly EA update. Maybe you can apply it to drop a few dollars more.

PSUGuy
09-14-2012, 09:57 AM
This is the worst year for car rentals at MCO I've ever seen. I was able to get an economy from Dollar from 10/11 - 10/18 for free using credit card reward points, but today it would be $351.67.

Bill From PA

HayGan
09-14-2012, 10:20 AM
I know, it is high. I've never been comfortable using the KLM code. I did crunch the numbers and could save $83 with KLM. I almost used it once, but got a lower rate with my other codes. I didn't like that you couldn't cancel it online and had to either call or email them to cancel it. (I emailed them). The KLM puts me at $423 total.

There is a new coupon for $30. It's ND9334SND. I got it the other night with my monthly EA update. Maybe you can apply it to drop a few dollars more.

Thanks for the code! I will have to try it later.

The KLM code is a valid code and the only stipulation is that you have to be a member of the program to use it (which it is free to sign up for.) I really like the fact that it has all the insurances included with it as well. I've cancelled two reservations with them (that had the code attached) and it honestly is a very painless process. Takes less than 2 minutes :)

webworm
09-14-2012, 10:45 AM
This is the worst year for car rentals at MCO I've ever seen. I was able to get an economy from Dollar from 10/11 - 10/18 for free using credit card reward points, but today it would be $351.67.

Bill From PA

I do see a compact with Budget for $148 inc taxes for those dates using Wendie code D454300 and E-Coupon MUGZ029 for $30 off when return vehicle. Budget includes free additional driver as well.

cluvsdisney
09-14-2012, 10:58 AM
$252 for a full size car, one way rental from Tampa to Orlando 10/5-10-13. I used ID SUNPROMO as an insider's member. Two days agao it was $460. I'll keep looking but I can live with this one.

webworm
09-14-2012, 11:09 AM
$252 for a full size car, one way rental from Tampa to Orlando 10/5-10-13. I used ID SUNPROMO as an insider's member. Two days agao it was $460. I'll keep looking but I can live with this one.

Not sure if you are a costco member but plugging in ID 7014627 on Alamo site and E-Coupon AD2359FDF for $35 off I get $223 inc taxes.

cluvsdisney
09-14-2012, 11:20 AM
Not sure if you are a costco member but plugging in ID 7014627 on Alamo site and E-Coupon AD2359FDF for $35 off I get $223 inc taxes.

Not costco but I'll check BJs. Thanks!! I was in a euphoria when I saw $250 I didn't even pursue other codes. LOL

ShiPooOwner
09-14-2012, 04:24 PM
So what is this vroom code I see. It brings the amount down alot but I don't know what it is. Do you have to be a member of some company?

I'm wondering the same thing. It gives me such a better rate than any other code. Where's it from? Anyone know?

akl432
09-15-2012, 08:45 AM
What are the best Alamo code you have found? I am getting the lowest price with Vroom code 299851 and E-Coupon AD2359FDF for $35 off. Has anyone found a better code?

keishashadow
09-15-2012, 09:31 AM

Bill From PA

we visit the week prior to columbus day weekend. This year trip starts 9/29. I booked early in July at continental airline rate then switched over to the insider one a month or so ago. I have 8 nights for a standard with the AA $35 coupon is $143.xx. If i had Costco it'd be $10 less. I can live with the rate but it is $40 more than i paid last year same dates.

my trip is two weeks away:woohoo:but i'll keep checking up until the day I leave as last year's great rate didn't pop up for me until the day before we left.

For those still looking...keep the faith;).

jnfr2424
09-15-2012, 09:46 AM
What are the best Alamo code you have found? I am getting the lowest price with Vroom code 299851 and E-Coupon AD2359FDF for $35 off. Has anyone found a better code?

I don't know what that Vroom code is it took off all of those other fees except the Airport fee and the sales tax and it truly worked for me I went from $375 to $204!!! Thank you so much !

akl432
09-15-2012, 09:56 AM
I don't know what that Vroom code is but it just worked for me I went from $375 to $204!!! Thank you so much !

I'm concerned about the Vroom code (299851) because, as someone mentioned earlier, it includes full collision damage waiver, which could be an indication that it is for international residents only (not valid for U.S. drivers). Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone used it successfully?

jnfr2424
09-15-2012, 10:28 AM
I'm concerned about the Vroom code (299851) because, as someone mentioned earlier, it includes full collision damage waiver, which could be an indication that it is for international residents only (not valid for U.S. drivers). Does anyone know anything about this? Has anyone used it successfully?

Point well taken - I am searching all over Google trying to find out what this code is
so far I have seen previous posts from right here on the DIS boards from July 2012 and all the way to 2007. I am checking trip advisor and other sites to see if anyone knows what in the world this code is all about.

Edit: and I also agree that is a international code as the person who stated they have been using it for the past 3 years is from Canada

PSU
09-16-2012, 11:46 AM
I do see a compact with Budget for $148 inc taxes for those dates using Wendie code D454300 and E-Coupon MUGZ029 for $30 off when return vehicle. Budget includes free additional driver as well.

Quick question regarding the Wendie code and the e coupon - when I read the fine print at costco it said "Offer may not be used in conjunction with any other BCD number, promotion or offer." Anyone tried this before - using a wendie code and costco coupon?

akl432
09-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Point well taken - I am searching all over Google trying to find out what this code is
so far I have seen previous posts from right here on the DIS boards from July 2012 and all the way to 2007. I am checking trip advisor and other sites to see if anyone knows what in the world this code is all about.

Edit: and I also agree that is a international code as the person who stated they have been using it for the past 3 years is from Canada

I haven't been able to find any information either. Has anyone else had success using the Alamo Vroom code 299851, or know whether it is valid for U.S. drivers?

sanibelover
09-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Quick question regarding the Wendie code and the e coupon - when I read the fine print at costco it said "Offer may not be used in conjunction with any other BCD number, promotion or offer." Anyone tried this before - using a wendie code and costco coupon?

From the Wendie's offer page....

"Offer may not be used in conjunction with any other discount number, coupon, promotion or offer and is subject to change without notice."

I don't think you can use a coupon with it.

Redarrow5150
09-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Via Priceline this morning...

MCO Pickup & Drop-off

Standard Car

10/25-10/29

$101.46 and that's including taxes and fees.

horselover
09-17-2012, 10:26 AM
Via Priceline this morning...

MCO Pickup & Drop-off

Standard Car

10/25-10/29

$101.46 and that's including taxes and fees.

Was that name your own price or their rate?

I'm looking for something 10/13-17 (last minute trip). Best I found was a compact at Dollar through Hotwire for $141. I'd prefer Hertz, Alamo, or National. I hate going to the counter. I'm holding a Hertz for $169 but still hoping to do better.

Redarrow5150
09-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Yes it was my own price. I tried $10 (knew it wouldn't be accepted) but came back and said a better chance at $15 which I did and got accepted. It was done via Budget...after reading the new thread about someone's experience with Budget it would figure. lol

Was that name your own price or their rate?

I'm looking for something 10/13-17 (last minute trip). Best I found was a compact at Dollar through Hotwire for $141. I'd prefer Hertz, Alamo, or National. I hate going to the counter. I'm holding a Hertz for $169 but still hoping to do better.

jjj444
09-17-2012, 11:10 AM
I wouldn't think the Vroom code would be accepted when you put all your info in?? Each time I put it in they ask where you are from and it still goes through?? Right now it is the only cheap thing I can get so I will stick with it for now and hope that something else better brings the prices down.

horselover
09-17-2012, 11:18 AM
I wouldn't think the Vroom code would be accepted when you put all your info in?? Each time I put it in they ask where you are from and it still goes through?? Right now it is the only cheap thing I can get so I will stick with it for now and hope that something else better brings the prices down.

They took it for me this morning on Alamo & they didn't ask me where I was from.