PDA

View Full Version : matterhorn bobsleds

tkgdisney
05-08-2001, 04:43 PM
The Matterhorn is noted as being refurbished through the end of June. Do they ever finish early? We are there starting the last week of June and had told our DS all about the ride - he really was looking forward to it. Is there anywhere to find out if they finish the work early?

LuvTigger
05-08-2001, 09:19 PM
tkgdisney,

I don't really know the answer to your question, but I just wanted to let you know that even if the refurbishment does finish early, the Matterhorn is a ride that seems to break down frequently, so you may want to prepare your DS (and yourself) for that.

It seems like everytime I visit, it's "broken" for a portion of my time there. They always fix it sometime during the day, but it's frustrating to be in line when it breaks, then have to make the decision to wait or to come back later.

(Sorry, didn't want to be the bearer of bummer news, but it's better to be prepared!)

Quentin Disney
05-08-2001, 10:04 PM
I was looking forward to that one! Let's hope Indy doesn't break down or something.

Floydian
05-09-2001, 11:35 AM
Pardon my frustration, but.....

Rocket Rods is closed permanently.

Matterhorn will be out of commission during our visit.

Mark Twain Riverboat will be out of commission during our visit.

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln will be out of commission during our visit.

Has anything else been closed in the past 9 months that I've missed?

I know it's only a few things, but we're going down for a wedding, and several of the friends we'll be visiting the park with, including the Bride and Groom, have never been to Disney anything before. So it's just a bummer that some of the wonderful atmosphere of one of our favorite places will not be available to be shared with our friends. :(

rhodgkie
05-09-2001, 03:47 PM
Roger Rabbit is also closed right now. On my recent visit, I was sad to see so many of my DisneyLand only attractions closed (esp. Roger Rabbit and Matterhorn). Still a lot of fun stuff there!:rolleyes:

tiggeroo42
05-09-2001, 04:31 PM
tkgdisney, sometimes they do finish early. That's what I'm hoping for because we're going to be there in June, too. I can't imagine why they decided to shut it down in the middle of the summer! It's such a popular ride! I'm sure, however, that your son will still enjoy the other rides. ;)

Floydian
05-09-2001, 05:11 PM
So now I add.....
Roger Rabbit will be out of commission during our visit.

Geez. :(

Maybe they can close Indy and Alice and Mr. Toad before we get there too. That way, all of the great rides that are exclusive to DL will be unavailable, so we'll HAVE to go to DCA to see something that isn't at WDW.

Again, sorry for my negativity. But sometimes, I have to wonder to what lengths Disney Execs will go to force something upon us that we just don't want. :mad:

I know break-downs and accidents and maintenance are not entirely within their control. But if I didn't know better, I'd think they were purposely making DL a less attractive place in order to push business elsewhere. Then, they could flatten the whole place and put up something that will make some real money, like maybe PPV Character Meetings with sponsers names tatooed on the Characters' behinds. :confused:

Blech! I don't like feeling this way about a company I once idolized. Could someone PLEASE fire Eisner and Pressler? PLEASE!?! :smooth:

CindyKansas
05-09-2001, 06:54 PM
I know what you mean about the Matterhorn. It is my favorite ride at Disneyland. We were at Disneyland March of 2000 and the Matterhorn was down and I see that it will be down when we are visiting the first week of June. This could be a very disappointing trip.:confused:

luvdsny
05-09-2001, 07:05 PM
Floydian, I think Pressler has moved on to other things (yikes! :eek: ) because I beleive Cynthia Harris is in [i]that[i] position now. :confused:

Anyhow, the Rocket Rods are closed permanently, and I'm pretty sure Roger Rabbit is too (though they haven't said it yet....just a matter of time).

I was just watching our video of A Day At Disneyland (it's about 8 years old) and was just cringing at all that has changed. :( :( :(

No more people mover, no more skyway, no more submarine, the newer cars at autopia are not half as colorful as the old ones, and no more Roger Rabbit (at least not recently :( ).

During this trip---Rocket Rods down. Lincoln exhibit down. Matterhorn down.

All I can say is "Thank Goodness POC and Thundermountain were up and running!!!!" :) :D :) :D

Floydian
05-10-2001, 11:15 AM
Yes, Cynthia Harris is running DL, but she still takes her orders from Pressler where overall park operations are concerned, unless he's been promoted once again for his marvelous performance (GAG!).

So I don't balme her so much, yet. She's having to deal with the messes that Pressler left behind, as well as still suffer under his "ideas and influence". Until someone gets him the heck OUT of Park Operations altogether, I fear more bad news for our beloved retreats.

phins_jazy
05-10-2001, 10:58 PM
This might be a silly question to you all but where do you find out which attractions will be closed? We're going the first week in March in 2002 and I'm wondering if there is anyway that I will know what attractions I won't be able to see.

Thanks

Floydian
05-11-2001, 12:46 PM
I get my info on refurbishments from the Disneyland Site. Just use their trip planner to fin the dates you'll be there, and it'll give you show times, as well as closed attractions.

But for that far in the future, I'm not sure they'd have the info posted yet.

mouseinfo
05-13-2001, 01:15 AM
The Matterhorn Bobsleds rehab is way over due for this years rehab. One of the biggest replacements this year is the elevator inside the mountain, as well as 60 feet of track. Due to all the problems this year with Roger being down, Rocket Rods closed. The rehab was pushed into part of the "on season" if you will. If you are interested in seeing some of the rehab photos, I have them on our web site at http://www.mouseinfo.com/updates/050801/index.html

Most of the time when attractions have a rehab they have a soft opening the night before. So you may get lucky on the night of the 28th.

disneydork
05-13-2001, 12:25 PM
I heard at Disneyland yesterday the Matterhorn will be re-opening June 29th...I was wondering why they would be doing rehab during an "on season" too!