PDA

View Full Version : Check out Allegiant Air!

luvndizny
03-18-2012, 07:14 PM
No, I am not a spokesperson for them...LOL!

Okay, first- I have never flown with them, but a friend has and had no problems with them... Second, I am just a person trying to find a better deal on flights- I live for deals...LOL!

Anyhow, unfortunately for us, at least on our upcoming trip- they won't work, BUT thought I would share for those who might be able to use them and get much cheaper flights.

For instance, we are looking to fly out of Raleigh on May 12th, returning the 19th. Right now, all prices out of most major airlines have the 4 of us total at about $1020 round-trip (non stop). Now, if our dates were flexible (they're not in the least bit) and we didn't need to use DME, which we do... then we would be booking through Allegiant at a savings of about $500 total!!

Caveats I see so far with them...(I haven't done a ton of research so I don't know everything about them.)

1) They might nickel and dime you on extra checked baggage fees and even things like drinks, etc. from what I read. But, with us, I still don't think it would add up to that $500 difference.

2) They do not fly into MCO. But if you are already planning on renting a car, etc. that wouldn't matter (not needing to use DME). Or you could just hire a taxi/limo/shuttle to take you from Orlando-Sanford (which is where they fly into). If they were flying in the day we need it (and maybe they normally do and those flights are just already booked), then we would just do that same and skip DME!

Anyhow, for those who have flown with them, please chime in and let us know if they are a really good deal indeed or if there is a major catch I just don't know about, etc.

DebbieB
03-18-2012, 08:03 PM
No, I am not a spokesperson for them...LOL!

Okay, first- I have never flown with them, but a friend has and had no problems with them... Second, I am just a person trying to find a better deal on flights- I live for deals...LOL!

Anyhow, unfortunately for us, at least on our upcoming trip- they won't work, BUT thought I would share for those who might be able to use them and get much cheaper flights.

For instance, we are looking to fly out of Raleigh on May 12th, returning the 19th. Right now, all prices out of most major airlines have the 4 of us total at about $1020 round-trip (non stop). Now, if our dates were flexible (they're not in the least bit) and we didn't need to use DME, which we do... then we would be booking through Allegiant at a savings of about $500 total!!

Caveats I see so far with them...(I haven't done a ton of research so I don't know everything about them.)

1) They might nickel and dime you on extra checked baggage fees and even things like drinks, etc. from what I read. But, with us, I still don't think it would add up to that $500 difference.

2) They do not fly into MCO. But if you are already planning on renting a car, etc. that wouldn't matter (not needing to use DME). Or you could just hire a taxi/limo/shuttle to take you from Orlando-Sanford (which is where they fly into). If they were flying in the day we need it (and maybe they normally do and those flights are just already booked), then we would just do that same and skip DME!

Anyhow, for those who have flown with them, please chime in and let us know if they are a really good deal indeed or if there is a major catch I just don't know about, etc.

After what just happened with Direct Air, I'd be wary of small airlines with limited schedules charging low fares. With fuel prices skyrocketing, they may not stay in business.

jsilvers
03-18-2012, 08:24 PM
After what just happened with Direct Air, I'd be wary of small airlines with limited schedules charging low fares. With fuel prices skyrocketing, they may not stay in business.

Note that unlike Direct Air, Allegiant is a "real" airline that operates its own aircraft. Also note that even though Allegiant is small, unlike most airlines it has consistently made money; its end-of-2011 financial data notes that Allegiant has reported profits for 36 consecutive quarters (http://ir.allegiantair.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=645164). While there may be various reasons not to book Allegiant, the threat of rising fuel costs isn't one of them.

lost*in*cyberspace
03-18-2012, 08:30 PM

As noted, Direct Air was not an airline.

shannonstar
03-18-2012, 09:17 PM
If the closest airport weren't Shreveport, I would be much more tempted. Also, they don't do the flight I need on a Saturday, so we would get home way too late on a Sunday before work/school.

I may use them on another trip, but not for Thanksgiving.

greenclan67
03-18-2012, 09:49 PM
We just flew with the on the 10th to Sanford from Niagara Falls, NY! We had no problems, loved the quiet airports. It is about an hours drive to Disney area from Sanford. We paid $69 for flights for March Break each way! Yes, you do have to pay for seat assignments and baggage fees! It ended up costing me $912 for seat fees, 2 checked bags, and there convenience fee for booking online, which is crazy cause it is being done by me! How stupid is that!
But all in all it was the cheapest flights we found for March Break this year. We fly home Friday with them again!

DebbieB
03-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Note that unlike Direct Air, Allegiant is a "real" airline that operates its own aircraft. Also note that even though Allegiant is small, unlike most airlines it has consistently made money; its end-of-2011 financial data notes that Allegiant has reported profits for 36 consecutive quarters (http://ir.allegiantair.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=645164). While there may be various reasons not to book Allegiant, the threat of rising fuel costs isn't one of them.

They maybe a "real airline" but they don't operate like the majors. If a flight is cancelled for whatever reason, they can't put you on another airline. They probably do not have another flight a few hours away to put you on. They most likely cannot reroute you. There were cases posted where they had a schedule change - not a few hours like one of the majors - they moved the flight to a different day. The odds of any of this happening is small but I wanted to put it out there. You are exchanging that low fare for some risk.

jsilvers
03-19-2012, 05:42 AM
They maybe a "real airline" but they don't operate like the majors. If a flight is cancelled for whatever reason, they can't put you on another airline. They probably do not have another flight a few hours away to put you on. They most likely cannot reroute you. There were cases posted where they had a schedule change - not a few hours like one of the majors - they moved the flight to a different day. The odds of any of this happening is small but I wanted to put it out there. You are exchanging that low fare for some risk.

As I said: There may be reasons not to book Allegiant. But the threat of higher fuel prices isn't one of them. Allegiant isn't going out of business.

DebbieB
03-19-2012, 06:08 AM
As I said: There may be reasons not to book Allegiant. But the threat of higher fuel prices isn't one of them. Allegiant isn't going out of business.

I didn't say that my second post which you quoted. I listed other reasons to consider.

sanderela
03-19-2012, 03:17 PM
I fly Allegiant. I actually prefer it. I am in the Chicago area. I HATE going to OHare or Midway. I have flying anxiety and the crowds there do not help. Rockford is a nice airport, and so was Sanford. My downside to sanford now is that my usual pickup (******) is not driving out of there due to gas pricing. I am now using FL towncar service (or something like that). I am hoping they are as prompt and nice as ****** (will find out soon!). With ******, he was waiting for us and grabbed our bags, we made a quick potty break, stopped at Target, and had us to our Disney hotel in about an hour an a half. We were in & out of the airport in less than 10 minutes to head to Disney.
I do get worried if there is a weather cancel or something like that...not sure how that would be handled b/c there is only one flight out a day...and it \isnt every day of the week either...
But, that being said, I prefer it.

sanderela
03-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Also, they do have extra fees, so be aware. We dont ask for specific seats. There are 2 adults and 2 kids when we fly. They told us a long time ago, the have to keep minors with adults, so yes, sometimes we will be split 2 and 2 but usually it is the row in front,or behind, or next to in front or behind...so we dont pay extra for seating.

tink&her2boys
03-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I was going to use them for the first time for our upcoming Disney trip, but apparently they are not offering weekend flights in Sept. ALL the other months in the year have weekend flights. I'm done with them...moving on to Delta or AA out of my own city. I chatted with Allegiant and told them they are losing 6 passengers because nobody would tell me for sure if they were going to offer a Saturday or Sunday flight and the rep said "ok". :headache:

nacho113
03-20-2012, 10:45 PM
We have flown Allegiantair 6 times in the past 3 years. Flights have always been on time and the staff is courteous and friendly. Yes you can get nickel and dimed to death if you don't watch out, but if your willing to be at the airport early (90 to 120 minutes before flight time) then I would just decline the extra seating fees. If you are there early enough you get a low boarding number so there is no problem getting seated together in decent seats.
We didn't have any problems with our family of 5 in August 2010, ended up in 2 rows next to each other mid-cabin and we didn't pay the seating charge , just showed up at the airport 90 minutes before flight time.
As far as baggage fees go, they seem to be the new norm so we have learned to pack light on our vacations, take only what we need, do a load of laundry to recycle some of our clothes, work with our carry-ons and only take checked bags if we really couldn't fit all the essentials in.
My wife and I also love leaving and arriving at the smaller airports. Less hustle and bustle, very short waits/lines. We have been leaving from GFK or FAR (both small airports) and flying into SFB with Allegiant, Even flown with them to LAS a couple of times. Service was great, crew was very courteous and friendly, planes were a little older but seemed to be clean and well maintained.
The prices have been impossible to beat, always less than $100 each way taxes in from Grand Forks or Fargo ND.
We have convinced lots of our friends to give them a try and they all are having similar experiences to us.
WOW, I'm sounding like a fanboy aren"t I :)

luvndizny
03-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Glad to hear some personal experiences with them...I still keep checking to see if they have any flights come up on the days we need them, but nothing so far. (Our dates are not flexible.)

It ended up costing me $912 for seat fees, 2 checked bags, and there convenience fee for booking online, which is crazy cause it is being done by me! How stupid is that!

Is that total, for 4 of you from Canada to Orlando? (I am assuming by your signature it's that many.) I would have to guess, with it being Spring break, and flying from Canada- that was a GOOD deal!

My 2 princesses
03-22-2012, 05:16 AM
Glad to hear some personal experiences with them...I still keep checking to see if they have any flights come up on the days we need them, but nothing so far. (Our dates are not flexible.)

Is that total, for 4 of you from Canada to Orlando? (I am assuming by your signature it's that many.) I would have to guess, with it being Spring break, and flying from Canada- that was a GOOD deal!

That would be from Niagara Falls, New York. Still way better than flying out of Canada though. I priced out Niagara Falls NY to MCO for under 600 for 4 of us for end of August. Still not booked as I'm not sure about this airline yet. But there are deals to be had with them for sure.

My 2 princesses
03-22-2012, 05:18 AM

That would be from Niagara Falls, New York. Still way better than flying out of Canada though. I priced out Niagara Falls NY to MCO for under 600 for 4 of us for end of August. Still not booked as I'm not sure about this airline yet. But there are deals to be had with them for sure.