PDA

View Full Version : Direct Air in trouble d

MAH4546
03-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Warning for those with Direct Air flights: the airline has been inexplicably canceling flights today and is not giving reasons. This probably isn't good.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/niagara-falls/article760283.ece

DisneyAndRedSox
03-13-2012, 06:34 AM
Subscribing for any updates... I have 2 friends flying out of Worcester very soon to Sanford!

pigletto
03-13-2012, 07:08 AM
Oh goodie. We have flights in 6 weeks, and again in August out of Niagara.
I was aware of the risks of a low cost carrier but all signs and reports were positive and they were adding many flights, not cancelling any.

Nothing to do but remain calm and make a back up plan.

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
03-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Count me in as another Diser who is watching and waiting for more info. I *finally* convinced by boss (in his 70's) to fly to Myrtle Beach rather than drive (which has been his norm for 15 years), and booked him tickets on DirectAir from Niagara Falls for the end of March, returning the first week of April. Now this :sick: .

MAH4546
03-13-2012, 07:25 AM
All flights have been cancelled. Direct Air is still not saying anything, but operations have been suspended.

Direct Air itself is not an airline - it uses other airlines like Vision Air and SkyKing to operate the flights it sells. From the early looks of it, seems Direct Air can't afford to pay for fuel anymore.

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
03-13-2012, 07:28 AM
All flights have been cancelled. Direct Air is still not saying anything, but operations have been suspended.

Direct Air itself is not an airline - it uses other airlines like Vision Air and SkyKing to operate the flights it sells. From the early looks of it, seems Direct Air can't afford to pay for fuel anymore.

So.....what happens to the money people have paid them?

This is a first for me, so I have no idea. Are consumers who have already booked flights simply out of luck? Do they have any recourse?

MAH4546
03-13-2012, 07:34 AM

This is a first for me, so I have no idea. Are consumers who have already booked flights simply out of luck? Do they have any recourse?

If the airline goes bankrupt, out of luck unless booked with a credit (not debit) card and still within the chargeback period, in which case the credit card company eats the charge.

The reason being that if Direct Air files for bankruptcy, then passengers holding tickets become creditors. But they are low on the priority list, and by the time Higher creditors get their share, there's nothing left.

dancin Disney style
03-13-2012, 07:39 AM

In Canada, we will have some protection from our credit card companies at least. How much :confused3 ????

I nearly booked our June/July trip with them 2 weeks ago when they had the $79 sale. Thankfully, the car rental was over $500 so that made the savings only about $150 which I just didn't feel was worth the risk. Previously, I had read several things about this carrier that really scared me off.....and having gone through the Jetsgo thing in YYZ years ago the odds of me booking on a bargain carrier were pretty slim. This trip is for my DD to compete at US nationals so we are not in a position to have issues getting there.

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
03-13-2012, 07:45 AM
In Canada, we will have some protection from our credit card companies at least. How much :confused3 ????

I nearly booked our June/July trip with them 2 weeks ago when they had the $79 sale. Thankfully, the car rental was over $500 so that made the savings only about $150 which I just didn't feel was worth the risk. Previously, I had read several things about this carrier that really scared me off.....and having gone through the Jetsgo thing in YYZ years ago the odds of me booking on a bargain carrier were pretty slim. This trip is for my DD to compete at US nationals so we are not in a position to have issues getting there.

If the airline goes bankrupt, out of luck unless booked with a credit (not debit) card and still within the chargeback period, in which case the credit card company eats the charge.

The reason being that if Direct Air files for bankruptcy, then passengers holding tickets become creditors. But they are low on the priority list, and by the time Higher creditors get their share, there's nothing left.

Thank you both. Not the news we wanted, but what we expected.....so now we will know to start with the credit card company and see where that takes us.

dancin Disney style.....we, too, almost booked via DirectAir for our August trip. DH wasn't comfortable with the idea, said it sounded "too good to be true" with such crazy low rates. After being super happy with JetBlue for our New Years trip, he said it was worth the higher price to him to rebook with a carrier we loved at a price that seemed more reasonable. He is patting himself on the back this morning as we speak.

magicandwishes
03-13-2012, 07:46 AM

If they booked through an Ontario, Canada travel Agent they will get their money back through the emergency travel fund provided through the gov. It covers airline bankruptcy but only for clients who booked through a travel agency. Otherwise then yes, I think the are out the money :confused3

Lewisc
03-13-2012, 07:47 AM

The credit card companies don't always wind up having to eat the charge. The credit card companies will sometimes delay paying the airline or hold back money. One case the credit card companies weren't going to pay the airline until after the passenger flew. I don't remember which LCC but they wound up going out of business.

Directair is a public charter. I'd be shocked if they get 100% of the fare immediately after you pay.

edited to add. From their website:

All payments are payable and/or deposited to a charter escrow account at Valley National Bank, 1455 Valley Road, 3rd Floor, Wayne, New Jersey 07470, Direct Air’s depository bank. Your payments are protected by a surety bond issued by Platte River Insurance Company of Wisconsin (the “Securer”). Unless you file a claim with Direct Air, of if DA is unavailable, with the Securer, within 60 days of completion of the charter (or, in the case of cancellation, the intended date of your scheduled return Charter), the Securer will be released from all liability to you under the security agreement. If there is no return flight in your itinerary, completion means the date or intended date of departure of the last flight in your itinerary. All transactions between the Customer and Direct Air shall be solely in United States Dollars; Direct Air is not responsible for any fluctuations in foreign currency exchange rates.

If everything works as it should all passengers should be able to get a refund, assuming Directair goes out of business. Most passengers will probably just get a refund through their credit card and others may need to file a claim with the bonding company.

One of the news articles said all flights were cancelled due to a fueling issue. Maybe the fares charged aren't enough to cover costs including fuel.

MAH4546
03-13-2012, 07:55 AM
The credit card companies don't always wind up having to eat the charge. The credit card companies will sometimes delay paying the airline or hold back money. One case the credit card companies weren't going to pay the airline until after the passenger flew. I don't remember which LCC but they wound up going out of business.

Directair is a public charter. I'd be shocked if they get 100% of the fare immediately after you pay.

It doesn't. As a charter, the money is held in escrow until the flight operates. But bankruptcy law still applies if it files for bankruptcy, and the passengers become creditors far down the list.

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
03-13-2012, 07:57 AM
If they booked through an Ontario, Canada travel Agent they will get their money back through the emergency travel fund provided through the gov. It covers airline bankruptcy but only for clients who booked through a travel agency. Otherwise then yes, I think the are out the money :confused3

Tickets were booked direct with the airline.......drat!!!!! :headache:

pigletto
03-13-2012, 07:58 AM
I do have travel insurance from my bank, but it doesn't look like it covers this. Just delay AFTER departing for travel for emergency reasons.

So what you are saying is I *might* be able to dispute these charges through Mastercard? If anyone could tell me how to go about that when the time comes I'll try.
Again, not going to kick and scream about it. In the end, I knew there was reasonable risk as with anything.. it was looking good and I did my research with those that had flown out of Niagara. Also, they were adding multiple flights and announcing it with big glowing articles in the local papers. But in the end, I'll peruse whatever reasonable options I can.. and put a smile on my face.

Far worse things can happen (this is my mantra today so that I keep my cool):)

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
03-13-2012, 08:04 AM
IBut in the end, I'll peruse whatever reasonable options I can.. and put a smile on my face.

Far worse things can happen (this is my mantra today so that I keep my cool):)

:worship:

I can only imagine how upset you must be. I mean, I am upset about my boss's ONE return ticket (he is travelling alone) for ONE trip. I cannot imagine your connundrum with not one, but TWO family trips affected.

I wish you the best of luck in getting things favourably worked out. Do keep us posted.

Lewisc
03-13-2012, 08:04 AM
It doesn't. As a charter, the money is held in escrow until the flight operates. But bankruptcy law still applies if it files for bankruptcy, and the passengers become creditors far down the list.

I already edited my post to include a quote from Directair regarding escrow.

I have no idea how the funds held in escrow are treated during bankruptcy. I'm sure the credit card companies will argue for a return of the money.

pigletto
03-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Gina thank you so much:hug:.

My dd just got a note from a classmate on Facebook. He is stuck with no way home right now because of this.

We can still drive down, and while that isn't the most fun.. heck we're going to Disney. It's not like we can easily eat this cost, but we're healthy and happy. All else is secondary.

I truly hope this doesn't ruin any trips for families who may have no other options or were taking their first trips. That would be a shame.

Disney Addicted
03-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Ugh! I hope it all works out for you. :hug:

I was excited about their $79 fares as well. If the flights went through the end of September, our family & my friend's family would have booked our tickets with them as well.

webworm
03-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Their website is probably still taking bookings as well because there is absolutely no message on there and no comment from the company.
http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/niagara-falls/article760283.ece
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/13/direct-air-south-carolina_n_1341285.html

pigletto
03-13-2012, 08:57 AM
THAT concerns me webworm. The August flights I booked were last week too.
I would hate to see people still booking today.
I hope someone is able to read this thread and be spared the inconvenience of booking today.:headache:

I mean even if they aren't going under (which seems unlikely), it's bad form to leave that site open for booking. Apparently they erased all the angry messages off their Facebook page from last night too. I can see going under, but it's just rotten to not allow informed decisions by erasing warnings.

Lewisc
03-13-2012, 09:06 AM
From the Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/south-carolina--based-public-charter-airline-direct-air-cancels-flights/2012/03/13/gIQAhJME9R_story.html

South Carolina-based public charter airline Direct Air has canceled all flights and there was no word Tuesday on when they might resume.

Myrtle Beach International Airport director Mike LaPier told The Sun News all operations by Direct Air were suspended Monday night. He said the flights were canceled because of a fueling issue.
Calls to both the company’s corporate and reservation numbers during business hours were answered Tuesday by a recording stating all agents were busy and referring callers to the airline website. The reservation number did not offer the option of waiting for the next available agent.
He says he was not given any options or reasons for the canceled flight.

I'll speculate Direct Air didn't (doesn't) have enough funds to fuel the planes.

webworm
03-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Not a good situation and especially for the folks already gone to florida or myrtle beach for March break. Looks like the Niagara Falls airport is still trying to get information based on their website.
http://www.niagarafallsairport.com/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/13/direct-air-south-carolina_n_1341285.html

vttkdmom
03-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Trying to figure out if I should try and find other flights, assuming they are going "belly up" or if there is even a way to find out at this point...

We REALLY can't afford to eat the cost of the four tickets AND purchase NEW tickets...

The kids haven't been to Disney in 10 years and my husband has never been. We are going down on a pretty tight budget and were planning to drive until I saw the "great deal" on these tickets.

I bought them back in December, so it is outside the 60 day window for disputes with American Express.

This stinks!

pigletto
03-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Trying to figure out if I should try and find other flights, assuming they are going "belly up" or if there is even a way to find out at this point...

We REALLY can't afford to eat the cost of the four tickets AND purchase NEW tickets...

The kids haven't been to Disney in 10 years and my husband has never been. We are going down on a pretty tight budget and were planning to drive until I saw the "great deal" on these tickets.

I bought them back in December, so it is outside the 60 day window for disputes with American Express.

This stinks!First off.. I'm sorry you find yourself in this position:hug:

Secondly.. I've been reading over my credit card terms, and the 60 days on my card is if I find an error on my statement.
This is different. It's services not rendered and I don't know if it falls under the 60 days rule or not.
I will post anything I find out.
I want to hear the announcement so I can get moving on this too.

NUHuskies#1
03-13-2012, 09:39 AM
Almost booked Worcester to MCO for May with the great $79 fare. think I may have dodged one....

http://www.boston.com/business/personalfinance/consumeralert/2012/03/direct_air_cancels_flights_wor.html?p1=Upbox_links

Lewisc
03-13-2012, 09:46 AM
One purpose of putting fares into an escrow account and requiring bonding is to make sure passengers can get a refund if the charter airline goes out of business.

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/publications/charters.htm

I don't think this will help customers who paid to join their way2go club get a refund on the membership cost. Maybe a credit card dispute.

I don't think the problem will be getting a refund. I think the problem will be finding replacement flights at a fare you can live with. People booked with direct air because they didn't like the fares being offered by scheduled carriers. Those fares haven't gone down.

vttkdmom
03-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Pigletto- I called American Express and they basically said there is nothing they can do since the purchase was made outside the 60 day window..

:headache:

Lewisc
03-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Pigletto- I called American Express and they basically said there is nothing they can do since the purchase was made outside the 60 day window..

It's premature. When (if?) Directair officially goes out of business the process for getting a refund will be posted. It's possible refunds will still go back to your AMEX card even if you booked airfare more then 60 days ago.

Geoff_M
03-13-2012, 10:05 AM
From the Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/south-carolina--based-public-charter-airline-direct-air-cancels-flights/2012/03/13/gIQAhJME9R_story.html

I'll speculate Direct Air didn't (doesn't) have enough funds to fuel the planes.Likely translation: "The fuel suppliers have cut us off..."

pigletto
03-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Latest news is that the company missed a fuel payment and therefore the company providing it's fuel pulled it's permit and DirectAir could not get fuel.

This is on the news right now from Buffalo. It's being reported that DirectAir will resume flights starting tomorrow according to it's marketing manager.

Wait for the statement today as this is being reported out of news station in South Carolina and was just 10 minutes ago.

But apparently it's not a bankruptcy issue (not that that really makes me feel better at this point but whatever..:rolleyes1)

Geoff_M
03-13-2012, 10:12 AM
But apparently it's not a bankruptcy issue (not that that really makes me feel better at this point but whatever..:rolleyes1)I would add "Yet" to that statement. This news along with the recent deep discounted fare sale points to a company that is trying to keep their bank account balance in positive territory on a day to day basis. I think it's safe to say they're circling the porcelain. Add to that that these cancellations and explanation will only worsen their problems as more people will stay away from them as a result.

pigletto
03-13-2012, 10:18 AM
I would add "Yet" to that statement. This news along with the recent deep discounted fare sale points to a company that is trying to keep their bank account balance in positive territory on a day to day basis. I think it's safe to say they're circling the porcelain. Add to that that these cancellations and explanation will only worsen their problems as more people will stay away from them as a result.

Agreed. At this point I would rather see a bankruptcy and have hope of trying for a refund than to wait and watch every day to see if they are going under:headache:

I have some decisions to make at any rate.

lost*in*cyberspace
03-13-2012, 10:26 AM

Not necessarily. In August 2005 I bought two tickets using AMEX on Independence Air for a Jan 2006 flight. By late fall, it was clear that the airline was going under. I contacted AMEX for a chargeback, even though it was 60 days since the purchase date. It took several months of arguing with them, but I did finally get a full refund from AMEX. Independence Air ceased operations in Jan 2006.

I would advise anyone with Direct Air tickets to make new travel arrangements and be aggressive in pursuing a refund.

kirs10a
03-13-2012, 10:40 AM
http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/160399/1/Report-Direct-Air-Flights-to-Resume-Later-This-Week

Flights to resume this week. I'm holding tickets for June from Springfield, IL to Lakeland. I don't want to worry until June!

I called Disney Visa, they said that if the company went out of business, I would get a full refund from them. That makes me feel better.....

magiroux
03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
http://www.wgrz.com/news/article/160399/1/Report-Direct-Air-Flights-to-Resume-Later-This-Week

Flights to resume this week. I'm holding tickets for June from Springfield, IL to Lakeland. I don't want to worry until June!

I called Disney Visa, they said that if the company went out of business, I would get a full refund from them. That makes me feel better.....

Take if for what it is worth.....

This is a 'comment' from a reader I pulled from the article above -
A close source who works at Direct Air says they are bankrupt and unless things change in the next 24 hours, there will be no more flights.

I jumped on the 50% off sale some months back. I have flown them before and love the ease of flying out of Worcester and into Sanford. However, I have always done so knowing things could go bad. Although this would qualify as VERY bad - :headache:.

rdsx28
03-13-2012, 12:30 PM
What a bummer! I too have purchased tickets for June Worcester to Sanford. I would also like to know one way or another now. The air prices are already sky high sadly so I would like to shop around now. I just don't understand why just yesterday I received some new promotion from them? Why do this to people if you are going under? I am hoping it is just a small issue as business here in Worcester has seen an 80% occupancy on flights.Very sad.:confused3

iheartpeterpan
03-13-2012, 12:46 PM
This is posted on their website:

Direct Air finds it necessary to suspend flight operation from Tuesday, March 13, 2012 until May 15, 2012. This decision was made to address operational matters. We are currently evaluating strategic alternatives for Direct Air.

Direct Air is committed to our passengers, employees, and the communities we serve.

Passengers holding reservations for Direct Air flights departing between Tuesday, March 13, 2012 and Tuesday, May 15, 2012 are directed to contact their credit card company to arrange for a refund.

Please check back here for more details.

Very Truly Yours,
Direct Air

Geoff_M
03-13-2012, 12:50 PM
The plot thickens... Our local newspaper's web site just posted a story (http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2012/03/direct_air_didnt_pay_its_bills.html) that quotes a US Dept. of Transportation statement that says that the issue goes beyond fuel payments, and is due to non-payment of their contracted carriers that the Direct Air charter business uses:In an e-mailed statement, Bill Mosley said:

"Xtra Airways and Sky King, two direct carriers for the charter operator Myrtle Beach Direct Air and Tours, informed us that they notified the operator they would cancel all future flights due to nonpayment.

"As a condition of approving its public charter program, Myrtle Beach Direct Air established an escrow account to make refunds to passengers if necessary. The Department is continuing to look into the cancellations."

webworm
03-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Direct Air finds it necessary to suspend flight operation from Tuesday, March 13, 2012 until May 15, 2012. This decision was made to address operational matters. We are currently evaluating strategic alternatives for Direct Air.

Direct Air is committed to our passengers, employees, and the communities we serve.

Passengers holding reservations for Direct Air flights departing between Tuesday, March 13, 2012 and Tuesday, May 15, 2012 are directed to contact their credit card company to arrange for a refund.

Very Truly Yours,
Direct Air

http://www.visitdirectair.com/index.php

lost*in*cyberspace
03-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Take if for what it is worth.....

This is a 'comment' from a reader I pulled from the article above -
A close source who works at Direct Air says they are bankrupt and unless things change in the next 24 hours, there will be no more flights.

I agree.

When I had the tickets on Independence Air, up until the day in January 2006 before they ceased operations forever, they insisted to me that my flight would go. It didn't.

pigletto
03-13-2012, 12:59 PM
I am on hold with the credit card company now. Lovely woman helping me. She is concerned that because at least one set of my flights were booked in October that Mastercard no longer has dispute rights. She is looking into it for me.

What we are all going to run into is a situation where our card companies don't know what to do. Be polite but firm. There are laws in place to protect us, and we're all just figuring out how to make this all work out.

It also doesn't help that I am calling from Canada:headache: I don't know if those same laws that protect American consumers apply here.

This is going to be fun.

Also.. would be nice of DirectAir to just bite the bullet and say what's really going on, because if you have flights after their posted date of May 15th you'll have to wait to dispute those.

I am in the unfortunate position of having flights within the dates in their statement AND after so it's going to be a headache.
I'll share whatever I learn in case it helps anyone out:)

vttkdmom
03-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks so much to the folks in this forum for keeping us informed on what is going on.

You guys rock! :love:

pigletto
03-13-2012, 01:32 PM
I have to fax in EVERYTHING. A screenshot of the DirectAir site, booking info, receipts, dates, news releases etc. I'll need to find a copy of the act being quoted that stipulates that these funds are held in escrow. I am directing this ship apparently. My credit card company were very nice, but had never dealt with this so it's going to be a first for both of us.:rolleyes1

I'll start a new thread to discuss my driving route and options. My husband wanted to drive anyway and I talked him into these flights. Glad he's got a good sense of humour:rolleyes1

ETA) and it would appear the DirectAir corporate office number is now disconnected so don't waste your time trying to call.

mousey
03-13-2012, 01:40 PM
Just got off the phone with my mothers credit card company and I have to fax a letter with her name, acct number, dispute and she told me this was the 6th call she took concerning Direct Air. Good Luck to everyone who was scammed by them!:confused3

kirs10a
03-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Disney Visa is aware that they have filed bankruptcy paperwork. I'm speaking with a claims rep now. They are inputting my dispute and I'll be in a holding pattern for 15 days while they wait for the merchant to respond to the charges. After that, I will receive a statement credit.

It's actually been fairly easy so far (minus the stress of it all & knowing that I have to go back to researching airfare.)

dancin Disney style
03-13-2012, 02:24 PM
It also doesn't help that I am calling from Canada:headache: I don't know if those same laws that protect American consumers apply here.

We do have protection from the credit card companies....for sure !!!!! We also have additional protection from TICO...which plays no part in this particular situation.

What do you mean by you're calling from Canada? Is your CC not of Canadian issue? If it's not then you could be in a different position. If your card is of Canadian issue then you are covered by the rules that apply here.

pigletto
03-13-2012, 02:29 PM
We do have protection from the credit card companies....for sure !!!!! We also have additional protection from TICO...which plays no part in this particular situation.

What do you mean by you're calling from Canada? Is your CC not of Canadian issue? If it's not then you could be in a different position. If your card is of Canadian issue then you are covered by the rules that apply here.

Awesome , thank you! It is a Canadian Mastercard. They just didn't seem to know what to do with me. In the end I have to fax and copy everything I can find related to this issue and they will start my claim.

poppypetal
03-13-2012, 02:49 PM
I just bought my husband a round trip 179.00 ticket like 2 weeks ago for his birthday. He hasn't used it yet, he had until October 31st. Should I be calling my Visa Company and getting a credit back or what should I do?? BTW I'm in Canada if this helps any?

pigletto
03-13-2012, 02:51 PM
I just bought my husband a round trip 179.00 ticket like 2 weeks ago for his birthday. He hasn't used it yet, he had until October 31st. Should I be calling my Visa Company and getting a credit back or what should I do?? BTW I'm in Canada if this helps any?

Dispute the charge. Call and explain what is happening and get the ball rolling now. I'm in Canada too.

dancin Disney style
03-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Awesome , thank you! It is a Canadian Mastercard. They just didn't seem to know what to do with me. In the end I have to fax and copy everything I can find related to this issue and they will start my claim.

It sounds totally reasonable that they want documentation....if not anyone could dispute charges just because they don't want to pay.

Remember a few years ago...Regent Holidays went under in the spring. A co-worker of mine had booked her honeymoon with them and had to wait until the date she was due to depart before she got her money back but she got every penny. I think in that case it was very easy to have it dealt with because people coast to coast were calling the CC with the same issue and it was all over the news.

dancin Disney style
03-13-2012, 02:54 PM

Yep..call Visa right away.

poppypetal
03-13-2012, 02:56 PM
Yep..call Visa right away.
We are sure they are going bankrupt? I mean I dont want to dispute something and have it turn around as a pre-panick when it wasn't anything. But I also dont want to get burned with paying this if I dont have to.

OrangeCountyCommuter
03-13-2012, 02:57 PM
I hate to say this, but what your credit card company is going to do is investigate and when they discover Direct Air has not cancelled YOUR flight the dispute will be closed.

I would hold off 24 or 48 hours to start the dispute. Hopefully by then the airline will make more definite statements.

Reading the fares folks say they were getting I am shocked any airline could even try to make money. If you don't have a base of business travelers to pay more then $80 it is going to end badly IMHO.

pigletto
03-13-2012, 03:01 PM
I hate to say this, but what your credit card company is going to do is investigate and when they discover Direct Air has not cancelled YOUR flight the dispute will be closed.

I would hold off 24 or 48 hours to start the dispute. Hopefully by then the airline will make more definite statements.

Reading the fares folks say they were getting I am shocked any airline could even try to make money. If you don't have a base of business travelers to pay more then $80 it is going to end badly IMHO.

It couldn't hurt to hold off.

But they did cancel MY flights. It says on their website that all flights from today to May 15th are suspended and to contact credit card companies for a refund.
So if you're outside those dates you can wait for more definitive answers.
But for those of us inside the dates.. it's time move on this now.

dancin Disney style
03-13-2012, 03:06 PM
We are sure they are going bankrupt? I mean I dont want to dispute something and have it turn around as a pre-panick when it wasn't anything. But I also dont want to get burned with paying this if I dont have to.

No, not yet but genreally were there's smoke there's fire.

I agree with OCC and Pigletto...it won't hurt to wait a few days to see what happens. You're in a good postion to get it charged back to your account.

poppypetal
03-13-2012, 03:16 PM

This is what I was hinting at, but I didn't write it correctly :P
I'll give it another day or 2 see what else comes out before I start looking for my refund back.

rdsx28
03-13-2012, 03:38 PM
My mother-in-law notified her credit card company this afternoon as she was traveling May 5-May13. She said that the company was notified this morning that Difrect Air had filed for chapter 11 and that it would be no problem to get her funds refunded. They were sending her the paperwork for it. We had travel plans for June with Direct Air and I have emailed them and will call my company in the morning to see if I can also cancel as I do not want to wait just in case. I need to have my plans all set. I just feel badly for those who had April school vacation plans that is horrible for them as prices are sky high!

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
03-13-2012, 04:00 PM
My boss booked his seats with a TD Visa just 11 days ago. Preliminary phone discussions with their customer service department have not given us much hope of having the payment refunded :sad2:. We have followed Pigletto's advice and faxed in our request for a chargeback with all the documentation we could get our hands on, hoping that they will surprise us and come through in the end.

Wishing you all luck in your quest for reimbursement. :hug: I rebooked my boss on a Delta flight from Syracuse to Myrtle Beach for his dates this afternoon......at a cost of $417 return. Add that to the $218 he had already paid for the DirectAir tickets and its a costly journey, for sure.

doconeill
03-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I had heard this earlier today. It sounds like they are in the process of filing for Ch. 11, but it appears that some suppliers are already holding them in default. Not sure what that means in terms of the bankruptcy.

But in my mind it seems likely that they'll survive it. I wouldn't put any money on May 15th.

It will be a long time before I book a flight out of Worcester...not a good track record with the airlines that have operated there.

Jake797
03-13-2012, 05:32 PM
I have a flight in June. I called the Disney Visa claims department, and they said that they cannot do anything at this point. I have to either wait until they announce that they are not going to do flights in June or until the June date has passed, and I did not receive services paid for. Ugh. What a headache.

gretchenohar@hotmail
03-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Three of my children booked thru Direct Air for a flight to MCO in June/July. Unfortunately, 2 of them did so with a debit (rather than credit) card. Does anyone know if they will have any recourse?
TIA.

minniemomof3
03-13-2012, 06:51 PM
I just received this email from Direct Air, I think it's the same as what they posted on their website. My flights are booked for July, so they must be sending it to everyone who booked with them.

Please check back to our website for more details.

Very Truly Yours,
Direct Air

encinc
03-13-2012, 06:54 PM
I wonder how many people are stranded in Florida or Myrtle Beach at this point. Its March Break in Ontario, and I'm sure that there were many Canadians who booked flights from Niagara Falls to Florida and/or Myrtle Beach on Direct Air. I can only imagine how hard it will be to find availability to get home on another airline, never mind how much it will cost them. It will also be a hassle for people to get from BUF or wherever they end up flying into back to Niagara Falls where I'm sure their vehicles are parked.

UGH!!! What a pain. I feel for all involved!

pigletto
03-13-2012, 06:58 PM
I wonder how many people are stranded in Florida or Myrtle Beach at this point. Its March Break in Ontario, and I'm sure that there were many Canadians who booked flights from Niagara Falls to Florida and/or Myrtle Beach on Direct Air. I can only imagine how hard it will be to find availability to get home on another airline, never mind how much it will cost them. It will also be a hassle for people to get from BUF or wherever they end up flying into back to Niagara Falls where I'm sure their vehicles are parked.

I know:sad2:
Every time I start to get a little sad about the 1600 dollars I am out, I remind myself that at least I have 6 weeks to come up with a plan, and then plenty more time before the August trip.
In the grand scheme of things, I'm extremely lucky I'm not running around Florida trying to get my family home.
I feel awful for the families that are stuck right now. There were plenty of people posting over the last few months that they were using Direct Air for Spring Break.:sad2:

minniemomof3
03-13-2012, 06:59 PM
I have a flight in June. I called the Disney Visa claims department, and they said that they cannot do anything at this point. I have to either wait until they announce that they are not going to do flights in June or until the June date has passed, and I did not receive services paid for. Ugh. What a headache.

Amex told me to send in my dispute. It seems like we are getting different messages from CC companies. From reading other posts, some people are being told by their CC company they have filed for Chapter 11. It's so frustrating to play the wait and see game.

pigletto
03-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Three of my children booked thru Direct Air for a flight to MCO in June/July. Unfortunately, 2 of them did so with a debit (rather than credit) card. Does anyone know if they will have any recourse?
TIA.

Your debit cards still have Visa/Mastercard logos don't they? Doesn't that give you some protection from those companies? It's worth a call to see. I don't know much about American debit cards. I'm sorry for your trouble.

minniemomof3
03-13-2012, 07:27 PM
Deleted

JoeCathyAngelina
03-13-2012, 07:39 PM
I have reservations for the week of April school vacation, 4/14-4/21. I just recieved this email from DirectAir: :scared::laundy::sad1:

Very Truly Yours,
Direct Air :scared1::scared1::scared1:

Looks like I'm going to be talking to someone at Visa tomorrow. :surfweb:
Good luck all,
Joe

gretchenohar@hotmail
03-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Your debit cards still have Visa/Mastercard logos don't they? Doesn't that give you some protection from those companies? It's worth a call to see. I don't know much about American debit cards. I'm sorry for your trouble.

You're right about that logo - thanks for bringing it up!

Good luck to all in making your plans work out. Please let us know how you're faring.....

DebbieB
03-13-2012, 08:06 PM
If your flight hasn't been cancelled, I don't think you can get an easy refund. Chapter 11 is reorganization, not liquidation. American Airlines is in chapter 11 also.

doconeill
03-13-2012, 08:19 PM
If your flight hasn't been cancelled, I don't think you can get an easy refund. Chapter 11 is reorganization, not liquidation. American Airlines is in chapter 11 also.

I also believe that's true. Until they cancel or otherwise fail to honor, you're stuck. People with end of May flights are in a tough spot - do you eat the cost and book other flights now, or try to get flights at the last minute and pay the extra?

mousey
03-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Drove by the Niagara Falls airport today and the parking lots were filled with cars. I'm sure they belong to passengers who are in Myrtle Beach or Florida planning on coming home this week!:scared1: Those last minute flights could cost these people a fortune!:confused3

pigletto
03-13-2012, 08:50 PM

Yes, it remains to be seen. I have late April flights that have been cancelled so those should be straightforward. The late August flights we just booked last week are another story.
We're driving in April now. Luckily we had some extra days to do so. I"ll have to deal with the August flights as things progress.

DOPEYLUVER
03-13-2012, 09:00 PM

I was booked on Direct out of Worcester for March 25, returning on April 5. I actually did pretty well with Southwest tickets.

The local news was reporting that the Holy Cross baseball and softball teams on in Florida right now booked to return on Direct.

minniemomof3
03-13-2012, 09:16 PM
I sucked it up and booked another flight with Airtran (going down) and Southwest (coming back) as the flights are still reasonably priced right now.

I can't see this having a good ending and I don't want to wait to only find out the flights have doubled. My husband won't drive, which would mean we would have to cancel the trip.

Hopefully, I'll get a refund for my Direct Air flights or charge back from the CC company.

Geoff_M
03-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Amex told me to send in my dispute. It seems like we are getting different messages from CC companies. From reading other posts, some people are being told by their CC company they have filed for Chapter 11.I've scanned the business news, and there's no mention of a Chapter 11 petition being filed as of yet, though there's no much doubt one is being prepared.

Maliki2
03-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Ugh. I found out about this today. I have the 21st-28th scheduled in July for three of us. This is my sons 6th b-day and we have reservations on his birthday at Chef Mickeys. I promised him that he would eat dinner with Mickey on his birthday!!! grrr

Anyway i called Chase Disney. This is what I was told. They have not closed or filed bankruptcy yet. I can not get a refund because my flight didn't leave between now and May 15th. I can get a refund when they A) officially close down B) Don't honor my flight date on July 22nd. Alot of furgin good thats going to do me! :mad:

So I plan on leaving the 20th by car if I have no other choice and driving straight through and back. Lovely drive from Northern Vermont (10 mins from Canada) to Orlando and back! :headache:

Cottager
03-13-2012, 11:10 PM

Argh...just spent the last couple of hours trying to find alternate flights to get my family back from Florida. Fortunately, they were dropped off at the Niagara Falls airport so no car to pick up and they had the flexibility to fly back directly to Toronto. Allegiant sold out into Niagara Falls quickly so there's going to be some happy cabbies driving from the Buffalo airport to Niagara Falls airport this weekend I'm sure. Not a great way to end the March Break.

We went through the same problem back in 2005 here in Canada when Jetsgo went under. Fortunately back then, we booked online directly with the airline with our credit card and took advantage of the Visa E-Promise which protects online purchases that aren't fulfilled. I'm sure we'll be able to do the same thing this time so I'm not worried about getting my money back for the return flight. http://www.visa.ca/en/personal/securewithvisa/epromise.jsp

MAH4546
03-13-2012, 11:41 PM
This is what I was hinting at, but I didn't write it correctly :P
I'll give it another day or 2 see what else comes out before I start looking for my refund back.

You're right about that logo - thanks for bringing it up!

Good luck to all in making your plans work out. Please let us know how you're faring.....

Unfortunately, the logo is irrelevant. It's a debit card, and it doesn't have the same protection as a credit card. All the logo means is that the card can be used at terminals accepting that particular card brand.

goofy4tink
03-14-2012, 05:35 AM
This is posted on their website:

Very Truly Yours,
Direct Air
Same one I got yesterday as well.

I had heard this earlier today. It sounds like they are in the process of filing for Ch. 11, but it appears that some suppliers are already holding them in default. Not sure what that means in terms of the bankruptcy.

But in my mind it seems likely that they'll survive it. I wouldn't put any money on May 15th.

It will be a long time before I book a flight out of Worcester...not a good track record with the airlines that have operated there.
Can I say how glad I am that it's happening now, and not last year??? We would have been packing up the car. And everyone asked me why I left 2 days early and cut our trip short by two days...just in case there was a DirectAir issue. So...we flew down on a Thursday, prior to our cruise, and planned on visiting my ds in Tampa after our cruise and WDW stay of 2 nights. That way, if there were to be an issue with flights, we could easily just drive down and back..with little impact on the big parts of our vacation.
I just can't imagine how those already in Florida are dealing with this, as well as those poor families flying out of Worcester over April vacation.

It bears repeating.....we get what we pay for. If we constantly book the very cheapest airfare we can find, then sooner or later, the airlines will go under. We get spoiled by really low airfares, then, if fares rise, we don't fly. Makes it hard to stay in business.

vttkdmom
03-14-2012, 07:54 AM
I had tickets from Plattsburgh, NY to Orlando for our spring break. I was able to get Amex to open a request for a refund with Direct Air.

After a long discussion with the hubby last night, we decided to book a with JetBlue from JFK to Orlando. We will drive down to JFK.

We did discuss driving, but decided that 27 hours in a car with our teenagers would NOT be healthy for any of us. LOL.

The way down won't be too bad, but on the way back, we will have to drive 6 hours back home after a long vacation and flight to get back to work Monday morning. :mad:

Of course we are still trying to figure out how to replace the funds we are out, since I am sure the refund from DirectAir will NOT arrive prior to our vacation.

tinkerbell423
03-14-2012, 08:16 AM
Unfortunately, the logo is irrelevant. It's a debit card, and it doesn't have the same protection as a credit card. All the logo means is that the card can be used at terminals accepting that particular card brand.

I just called the number on my debit card and they told me they will open a dispute so I can get a refund. I said I heard I wouldn't get a refund if I used a debit card and she told me that was not the the case. I can't open the dispute yet because we fly in Aug. but I hope she is correct.

eeyoresmom
03-14-2012, 08:18 AM
We have reservations on flights that HAVE already been cancelled, but purchased our tickets almost a year ago with Chase Visa....Does anyone know if we will be refunded? I am at work right now and can't call Chase :confused: Thanks for any help

gretchenohar@hotmail
03-14-2012, 08:52 AM
Good Luck to all of us!
I don't see why you wouldn't, eeyoresmom - hopefully you can call as soon as you get home.

DebbieB
03-14-2012, 09:02 AM
There was a report on the news last night that there was a plane full of passengers taxi-ing out on a plane in Buffalo (I think) when the news hit. The turned the plane around and sent them back into the terminal and cancelled the flight. That would be a real kicker, you think you are on your way and then suddenly not.

doconeill
03-14-2012, 09:03 AM
There was a report on the news last night that there was a plane full of passengers taxi-ing out on a plane in Buffalo (I think) when the news hit. The turned the plane around and sent them back into the terminal and cancelled the flight. That would be a real kicker, you think you are on your way and then suddenly not.

That there tells me it was more than just their fueling supplier issues...

jtolpin
03-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Now its official.

Filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy.