PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry to say this but Southwest SUCKS!!

joxer1014
03-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Flame all you want but today I did my daily check on SW for fares for the end of June from PHL to MCO and for the last week or two the cheapest was $135 each way and now today it jumped to $148! What in the world is going on with them? Yeah they dont charge for bags but now I can go to Airtran and get one way for $118. Even though Airtran charges $20 a bag, now it is cheaper to take Airtran with the bag fees!

I'm sorry Southwest.......YOU SUCK!!!!!

kristieseem1
03-07-2012, 04:44 PM
That is how they can say that bags fly free. I think it is a joke. We got round trip on us air from Phl for $220.

webworm
03-07-2012, 04:50 PM
Southwest does a lot of marketing around "bags fly free" and this seems to reel in a lot of folks. I used to fly southwest but not recently because they no longer have any great fares like they used to. In addition we usually take carryon luggage anyhow so baggage fees are not an issue!

mossy1
03-07-2012, 05:03 PM
I will agree that Southwest prices are definitely rising. But I still use them out of PIT because the have non stops and flight times I really like. I would love to have more non stop choices from there but it's not available to me. I also checked almost every day and did find some drops for my dates so now I have a credit for a Nov trip!!

TheMorgans
03-07-2012, 05:44 PM
We have almost always used Southwest, but NOT this time. I booked United this week for our Sept/Oct trip. United was $160 pp r/t and Southwest was $278 pp (STL/MCO). Even with the free bags it was a no brainer. For our family that is a difference of $708. That's a whole lot of bags - LOL I realize that we are still 6 months out, but all of the SW flights are almost double the price what we normally pay.

GaSleepingBeautyFan
03-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Eventually Airtran will be completely gone and you'll have Southwest or other airlines to choose from.

Enjoy it while you can!

jlewisinsyr
03-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Remember nothing in life is free, it's all about perception. Free dining isn't really free, it's just a discount, no different then 30% or 40% off, but gets much more attention because the word free carries more marketing weight.

Jestocost
03-07-2012, 07:01 PM
We have almost always used Southwest, but NOT this time. I booked United this week for our Sept/Oct trip. United was $160 pp r/t and Southwest was $278 pp (STL/MCO). Even with the free bags it was a no brainer. For our family that is a difference of $708. That's a whole lot of bags - LOL I realize that we are still 6 months out, but all of the SW flights are almost double the price what we normally pay.

Of course that's also comparing a flight with a change of planes on United with likely a non-stop on SWA.

bumbershoot
03-08-2012, 01:45 AM
A company having a higher rate makes them "suck"?

Usually Alaska is cheaper than Virgin America going to LAX, but right now VA is having a sale...that doesn't make Alaska suck.

aubriee
03-08-2012, 02:22 AM
Eventually Airtran will be completely gone and you'll have Southwest or other airlines to choose from.

Enjoy it while you can!

True! I used to always fly Air Tran out of DFW because they were cheaper and had nonstop flights to MCO. As of this past Nov 22nd, Southwest pulled them out of Dallas. Now airfare has skyrocketed out of Dallas. Air Tran used to keep AA prices in line (Southwest out of Dallas Lovefield has always been high, plus they can't offer nonstop flights to MCO due to the Wright Ammendment:headache:). Flights that used to routinely be less than $200.00 just a few months ago are now running over $400.00.:sick::mad: I'd give anything to have Air Tran back.

StrwLady
03-08-2012, 03:10 AM
True! I used to always fly Air Tran out of DFW because they were cheaper and had nonstop flights to MCO. As of this past Nov 22nd, Southwest pulled them out of Dallas. Now airfare has skyrocketed out of Dallas. Air Tran used to keep AA prices in line (Southwest out of Dallas Lovefield has always been high, plus they can't offer nonstop flights to MCO due to the Wright Ammendment:headache:). Flights that used to routinely be less than $200.00 just a few months ago are now running over $400.00.:sick::mad: I'd give anything to have Air Tran back.

I have not seen $200 from DFW to MCO in ages. Now grant it we now fly peak times to Orlando. Last year for Dallas area schools let out June 3rd (if memory serves me right). 6 months prior to my trip AA flights through June 2 were around $275, June 3rd and past were $400. Southwest was a little cheaper but came with stop no change or stop change planes. Last year I sucked it up and paid for AA. (and believe me I know how to find good fares)

This year 3 months out from trip AA fares $400 and Southwest $250. So this time it was a no brainer who I would book.

I think it seems like Southwest fares rise often because the lowest fares are snapped up quickly. I know if you want a low Southwest fare from Dallas to New Orleans you pretty much need to book when 6 months in advance the day travel opens for your time frame.

BTW the Wright Amendment restrictions will drop in 2014! :) Take that AA!!

aubriee
03-08-2012, 03:24 AM
I have not seen $200 from DFW to MCO in ages. Now grant it we now fly peak times to Orlando. Last year for Dallas area schools let out June 3rd (if memory serves me right). 6 months prior to my trip AA flights through June 2 were around $275, June 3rd and past were $400. Southwest was a little cheaper but came with stop no change or stop change planes. Last year I sucked it up and paid for AA. (and believe me I know how to find good fares)

This year 3 months out from trip AA fares $400 and Southwest $250. So this time it was a no brainer who I would book.

I think it seems like Southwest fares rise often because the lowest fares are snapped up quickly. I know if you want a low Southwest fare from Dallas to New Orleans you pretty much need to book when 6 months in advance the day travel opens for your time frame.

BTW the Wright Amendment restrictions will drop in 2014! :) Take that AA!!

Before Air Tran left Nov 22nd, I very seldom paid more than $200.00 for r/t airfare to MCO. I usually paid $148.00-$198.00. However, I don't go during peak time (usually fly early May, Sept, Oct, and early Dec). Dec 2010 I paid $148.00, May 2011 I paid $198.00, and Sept I paid $158.00. For my Nov 26th/Dec 4th flights I did pay $258.00, but that was just a few days after Air Tran left. American had been running over $400.00 for those dates, but one Tuesday night dropped their prices to $258.00. That was the most I've ever paid for DFW-MCO flights, but grabbed them because they had been running so high. I did the same thing for our Feb 4th/11th trip. They had been running over $400.00 on all carriers, but one night AA dropped them to $178,00, so I grabbed them and the next day they jumped back up to over $400.00 and never dropped. Southwest, Continental, and Delta never dropped below $400.00. Spirit gets bad reviews but they are starting nonstop flights DFW-MCO the middle of this month (March). Even with all the fees they charge, their $163.00 r/t nonstop flights still beat everyone else's prices right now. When I booked them for my May and Sept trips, everyone else's fares were over $400.00. I'm still looking at fares for my Oct 27th-Nov 3rd trip.

I just checked fares for my Oct 27th-Nov 3rd trip. Southwest flights just go through Nov 2nd, but if I put in a Friday (11/2) return instead of a Sat (11/3) return the price is over $450.00. For the other airlines that fly out of DFW or Lovefield the prices are: American $476.00, Delta $500.00, US Airways $518.00, Frontier $331.00, and Spirit $163.00. What's funny is Spirit is by far the cheapest, even with all their fees added in and are the only one to offer nonstop flights, besides American. With Frontier you have to fly northwest to have a layover in Denver, before you then fly southeast to get to Orlando. lol Why the heck would I want to fly from Dallas to Denver, then Orlando? lol

goofy4tink
03-08-2012, 05:46 AM
Poor SW....years ago, they had a 'lock' on gas prices, so they could keep their fares way down. Then, that contract went away, so the fares started inching up. They got to the point where they were pretty similar to other airlines. Now....it's what you see.
BUT.....I still love SW. I have had good luck flying Airtran but have yet to find a direct flight to Florida from Boston. Airtran just doesn't have any. And, if I want to lock in my seat choice, I have to pay for it, and my checked bags.
All things being equal, I'll fly SW. But many times, if I'm booking last minute, Airtran is who I go with.

StrwLady
03-08-2012, 06:06 AM
Before Air Tran left Nov 22nd, I very seldom paid more than $200.00 for r/t airfare to MCO. I usually paid $148.00-$198.00. However, I don't go during peak time (usually fly early May, Sept, Oct, and l

Aubriee I miss the days of going to Disney off peak times. When my son was younger I would take him out of school for a week in Sept/Oct. I remember once getting a flight on AA for $130 round trip. When he hit 4th grade the work he had to make up was much more then the past years so we decided that we could no longer take him out of school :( I miss that time of year.

Last year when I booked the flight for my son and I my heart hurt to pay $400 but I was lucky I got it when I did. In the weeks following booking it just kept going up. The first week of the trip was just my son and I and then my hubby joined us for the 2nd week. i was able to get his flight for a whole $100 less whoop de do! LOL

To add insult to injury in April of last year I tore the achilles tendon off of my heel bone and had to have reconstructive surgery in May. So that changed the trip from the beginning of June to the first week of July. We lucked out and got similar fares but ended up paying $500 in change fees. AA has no prevision for waving change fares because of medical issues. Which is another reason Southwest looks better to me every day.

I do agree that sometimes Southwest fares to Orlando are not worth the extra travel time. I saw that last year. Their fares were only a little lower.

Missytara
03-08-2012, 07:19 AM
My dad has been slowly cleaning out his house, getting ready to downsize, and found a few items from our first Disney trip - a father/daughter trip when he was on a business trip to Cape Canaveral.

He had the plane ticket and my "wings" from United Airlines - November 1971. He had to pay for my airfare. It was $59.54 roundtrip from PHL to MCO and we went first class.

Ahhhhh, those were the days.

lost*in*cyberspace
03-08-2012, 09:49 AM
I don't know what the problem is. I'm not a Southwest fan, but a price increase of $13.00 is not very much. All airlines are constantly adjusting their prices.

What is going on with them? They are a business, trying to make a profit! What's wrong with that?

Beemitchcowski
03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Keep an eye on their rates..they go up and down..I've noticed they go "up" towards the end of the week and the weekend. What's nice about SW is that you can "rebook" for a cheaper rate and get a credit that can be used within the year...or...if another flight opens up you can change it..I was able to change to a better flight and get a few dollars back in a credit..not bad....the "free" luggage...yes...there flights might be a little higher..but I like knowing that I can check 2 bags per person....no we don't use 2 bags per person..but its nice having that flexibility..especially since I like to bring our snacks/nonperishables/dry foods with us in a suitcase...that way I don't have to think...GEEZE...I'm spending $25 dollars to send Mac n cheese and bags of microwave popcorn to Disney! :thumbsup2

dudspizza
03-08-2012, 11:14 AM
I don't know what the problem is. I'm not a Southwest fan, but a price increase of $13.00 is not very much. All airlines are constantly adjusting their prices.

What is going on with them? They are a business, trying to make a profit! What's wrong with that?

And, apparently to the OP, that means they suck.

I actually opened the thread expecting the OP to be upset about an actual flight they were on..... instead they are complaining about prices......

OrangeCountyCommuter
03-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Flame all you want but today I did my daily check on SW for fares for the end of June from PHL to MCO and for the last week or two the cheapest was $135 each way and now today it jumped to $148! What in the world is going on with them? Yeah they dont charge for bags but now I can go to Airtran and get one way for $118. Even though Airtran charges $20 a bag, now it is cheaper to take Airtran with the bag fees!

Are you for real?

You do understand that you are still flying SW don't you? :rotfl2: SO much for that high standard you set. (SW fullly owns AirTran regardless of the name on your plane all pricing and routes are now controlled by SW. So what they did was push you over to AirTran... in thier mind cash equals cash LOL!) \ (And the truth is that AirTran was probably only cheaper because they and Delta are having a small sale. Delta and AirTran still react to each other. SO far Delta seems to be trying to pretend SW isn't around... not sure how long they can play that game!)

As for "what is going on?" it's called PROFIT! Contrary to the view of a lot of folks airlines exist to make money. So I guess in your world it 'sucks" but if you want to have the option to fly airlines to Orlando you better hope more of them "suck"

Lewisc
03-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Add me to the group of posters who equate "sucks" with a specific service issue. To most of us the OP isn't really saying Southwest SUCKS but rather is saying SW is expensive.

The price of fuel is up. Reduced competition means Southwest no longer has to offer money losing fares in some markets.

Southwest doesn't always offer the lowest fares. If another airline has fares and flight times which work better for you book it.

Southwest doesn't have a change fee. Southwest works great for passengers who need flexibility. Decide how much, if any, extra you're willing to pay for that kind of flexibility. SW still lets you get credit if the fare goes down.

joxer1014
03-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Like I said, flame all you want. I just want to voice my opinion about the fares. I know gas is up. I know all the other factors. I know that last year or so SW paid less money for fuel and now that is over but now corporate greed is taking over. When SW was so low and the competition wasnt matching their fares, they still weren't $270 r/t Maybe I just got used to SW having low prices. IMHO $270 round trip from PHL to MCO is too freaking high. I know there are other cities out there that would LOVE to have that fare but in MY city that is the all time highest r/t fare to Orlando I have seen since I started flying. So I say it again: SW SUCKS.

Keep the flames coming. I got my asbestos suit on.

lost*in*cyberspace
03-08-2012, 05:08 PM

No one has posted anything close to a "flame." You are entitled to your opinion. I doubt if anyone reading this thread cares what airline you fly.

I do think that you don't have a clear understanding of how a business is supposed to work. It's not corporate greed to make a fair profit for shareholders.

dburg30
03-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Well, from CMH to MCO, there is no thing such as a 'cheap' flight anymore... I think that's pretty much how it is everywhere now. Yes, AT has flights for 238 rt compared to SW for 280... but.. of course 45 in bags makes the difference. Plus for even $20 difference pp each way for 3 of us if we only needed one bag, it's not worth the change IMO.. I dont like change. I'm familiar with SW, I know how they work, where their stuff is etc etc. I'm still good with them.. It's a bummer prices are higher now, but the airline doesnt suck lol.. Man.. Victoria and Alberts must be the suckiest restaurant at WDW then lol.

bookwormde
03-08-2012, 06:28 PM
I am a southwest fan, but it is fading as their prices are not a value anymore.

For OP if you live on the western side of Phily, try MDT (Harrisburg), Frontier has non stops for $90 2 days a week and it is only an hour drive!

dudspizza
03-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Like I said, flame all you want. I just want to voice my opinion about the fares. I know gas is up. I know all the other factors. I know that last year or so SW paid less money for fuel and now that is over but now corporate greed is taking over. When SW was so low and the competition wasnt matching their fares, they still weren't $270 r/t Maybe I just got used to SW having low prices. IMHO $270 round trip from PHL to MCO is too freaking high. I know there are other cities out there that would LOVE to have that fare but in MY city that is the all time highest r/t fare to Orlando I have seen since I started flying. So I say it again: SW SUCKS.

Sucks is a very poor word choice......

Last time I checked, there are other airlines that fly from Philly. Trains, buses, and cars also go to Orlando from Philly.... go figure....

jctwizzer
03-08-2012, 09:07 PM
Ah, the entitlement mentality. From Philadelphia no less.
What a surprise!! Guess he/she hasn't bought a car or
other item lately. You can't fix a lack reality............:rotfl::confused3:cool1::lmao:

helenk
03-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I've noticed today that some flight times have gone back down in price.
For the price difference I would still go with SW over Airtran. At least with SW, you know your flight time won't change. Almost each time I've booked with Airtran they have changed my fight time significantly.

kaytieeldr
03-09-2012, 07:02 AM

So it sounds like you think Southwest's only variable cost or expense is fuel, while everything else stays where it was a couple of years ago and isn't predicted to increase? Or that they'll 'eat' the costs that do go up? Things like taxes, payroll, parts, insurance...?

lylone
03-09-2012, 07:30 AM
I agree that Southwest SUCKS! They took XM radio out of all the airtran planes. Now I have to listen to all the noises that scare the crap out of me when the plane takes off. I also can't choose where I sit on the plane until the "free for all" seat choosing.
Both help me a lot with my anxiety for flying. Looks like Delta will be getting my business.

OrangeCountyCommuter
03-09-2012, 07:47 AM

Something tells me that this "high horse" is going to either result in a hard fall to pride or fare fewer trips to MCO.

Time will tell.

:lmao:

goofy4tink
03-09-2012, 07:47 AM
So, I got curious. So, I looked at fares for June 17,returning on June 23, Philly to Orlando. Using SW's cheapest fares (and not so great times..7pm leaving Philly, 7:30am leaving Orlando) and I got $270.
With Airtran.....leaving Philly at 9am, and leaving MCO a 8am, I got $253, but add in a checked bag (no seat choice or preferred boarding) and it goes up to $273. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is.

The thing is that many got used to paying less than $100 each way, when flying to MCO. We got spoiled..and everyone started making yearly trips. Heck, the airlines were practically paying us to fly down there. Well....the bubble burst..and now we're back to normal.
When I first started flying to Orlando, from Boston or Providence, I was happy if I paid $250 or below. Then, it was around $150, r/t!!!! Then, it got to being happy if it was below $275. Now?? I'm back to happy if I get that $250...and I usually do.

This is not corporate greed. The airlines aren't all that profitable. Yes, they are doing better, but they had to raise prices or risk going under. There was no way they were going to be able to fly a large number of people to Florida for under $200. So, they put 'x' number of really cheap seats out there...and once those seats are gone, they're gone. You wait too long? You pay top dollar.

NancyIL
03-09-2012, 07:58 AM

He who hesitates is lost. You snooze, you lose. A $13 fare increase each way isn't an exorbitant amount. Since you like the word so much - SUCK it up and pay it or fly on another airline! (As already mentioned, AirTran is now owned by Southwest.)

ccgirl
03-09-2012, 08:43 AM

Personally, I don't think it's just SW. It seems all the airlines are higher than they were a year ago.

SW $135

Airtan $118, +$20 bag, +$6 seat. A whopping difference of $1

That's why I book the day the fares are released and keep an eye and take a credit if the price drops.

I have always found SW, Airtran, or JetBlue to be the least expensive.

TDC Nala
03-09-2012, 11:41 AM
Flight prices are up amongst pretty much all airlines I take to and from Orlando, it takes a lot more work to find a decent fare. I guess they all suck.

Or it's the situation that sucks, because you're either going to pay more to get to Orlando, or you're not going to get there as much. Not sure who didn't know that was coming.

Darbymac
03-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Agreed! Southwest is horrible!pirate:

MistressMerryweather
03-09-2012, 06:33 PM
There's nothing to complain about as far as we are concerned. Good non-stop flight times to MCO from PIT, no baggage fees and NO CHANGE FEES.
As a vacationer with 4 small children(infant, 3yo, 6yo and 8yo), I need that no change fee. That alone sells me. I've used it for every trip we've taken, multiple times. When your airfare drops by $50, times 5 tickets each way...sucks isn't the word that comes to mind. :confused3

dthogue
03-09-2012, 08:04 PM
There's nothing to complain about as far as we are concerned. Good non-stop flight times to MCO from PIT, no baggage fees and NO CHANGE FEES.
As a vacationer with 4 small children(infant, 3yo, 6yo and 8yo), I need that no change fee. That alone sells me. I've used it for every trip we've taken, multiple times. When your airfare drops by $50, times 5 tickets each way...sucks isn't the word that comes to mind. :confused3

Very well said - the no change fee sells Southwest for us - like you, we can change our flights several times before our trip - we have even changed airports due to lower fees - that along with the no baggage fees and they don't change the flight times constantly is why we LOVE :lovestruc:lovestruc Southwest.

If you don't like what you see on SW, don't fly them, us another carrier!!!

kerplop
03-09-2012, 09:51 PM
I like SWA a lot. A lot, a lot. But honestly this year's fares have got me :rolleyes: Last year I could get a flight from HOU->MCO for about $200 a person after taxes and unless they come down for this fall, they'll probably be closer to $400 a person this year. That makes me not like them as much, but they're still a better deal than the other carriers to our airport. For some reason we have really crazy fares most of the time, which is odd as we're the 4th largest U.S. city.

TamaraQT
03-10-2012, 08:19 AM
I also fly from PHL to MCO and I am also disappointed with airfare prices. I was hoping SW would remain the cheapest option because I just love Southwest. I have to admit, the $135 one-way was hard to swallow, when I know there was a time when I paid $59, $79, and $89. Last year the lowest SW flight was $119 and I held out and missed out. However, I was able to book on United for $59 from PHL to MCO. With taxes and baggage fees it was still $105.40 and we had to make a stop at Dulles in DC for an hour layover. Coming back from MCO to PHL I flew airtran which was still cheaper than SW because it was holiday weekend. So in the end, all and all, I still got to Orlando and had a wonderful vacation. The good news is I discovered SW doesn't RULE the skies!! :laughing: I flew other airlines and enjoyed it. So to the OP, I suggest, get used to the airfare prices. Like someone else said "WE WERE SPOILED" and now that's over. But who knows, I am always hopeful that we may see it again one day. :cloud9:

In the meantime, this year I booked the SW flight 07/18 from PHL to MCO for $135! :eek: Only because the early morning nonstop flight is what my family LOVES!! :love: I still have yet to book our return flights. I am honestly hoping another airline will give me a drop in fare like United did last year from PHL to MCO. If so, the GOOD NEWS is, I can REBOOK my southwest flight to my return flight. Not all airlines give that option. So keep that in mind. I am not happy about prices either, but I am thankful that they are still affordable for me to be able to take the family on vacation. And at the end of the day, that's what it's all about. :cool1: Good luck!! I hope you find something that works for you!! :)

Now....on to the transportation board where I CAN RANT about rental car prices for July!!! :lmao:

roliepolieoliefan
03-10-2012, 08:39 AM

We used SWA going to MCO from PIT, but coming back we used Air Tran.
Our departure flight we were able to use points through our SWA credit card.

SWA was beyond ridiculous for our return flight. Even with baggage fees, seat fees and IF we had to change our tickets, Air tran would still be cheaper.

I'm nervous for the day SWA and AT become one. There will be NO competition in Pittsburgh . I'm afraid we'll never be able to afford to fly anywhere. :sad2:

can
03-10-2012, 08:45 AM
When the girls were younger, I could plan 6 or more months out in advance, but it just doesn't work that way for us now with them (along with dad and mom) going to college and working.

We have decided on a "last minute" trip to MCO from June 2 to June 9 from MDW. I understand the days of under $200 RT may be long gone, but $393 one way is just a bit on the high side for June travel as far as I am concerned. I have checked on Air Tran and the some of the flights are less even with baggage fees, but I need to decide if it is worth adding travel time into our schedule because of stops and plane changes.

I looked at Air Trans seat availability and see that a good number of the flights are maybe half way full or less. So I wonder if that is the same with SWA's availability?

I think in general all the airlines are charging higher fares than usual. I'm sure they are using gas prices as justification for this. I believe this has happened before and when all was said and done there was a profit seen by the airlines. I just feel frustrated that the airlines nickel and dime passengers knowing that if you want to travel, you are going to pay no matter what. I know, we can stay home, have thought about that. But with the two girls in college, will probably be the last family trip for awhile.....

mossy1
03-10-2012, 09:35 AM
We used SWA going to MCO from PIT, but coming back we used Air Tran.
Our departure flight we were able to use points through our SWA credit card.

SWA was beyond ridiculous for our return flight. Even with baggage fees, seat fees and IF we had to change our tickets, Air tran would still be cheaper.

I'm nervous for the day SWA and AT become one. There will be NO competition in Pittsburgh . I'm afraid we'll never be able to afford to fly anywhere. :sad2:

Check out his article. Perhaps not... http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/business/s_785818.html

vacationclub
03-10-2012, 10:01 AM

You don't need a "no change fee" to get a credit when airfare drops. Many airlines will credit you the difference if you call them on it. You may have to use the credit on their airline later, but if you go to Disney each year (or somewhere else) you will have no problem applying the credit. I've done this on Airtran....twice for the same trip. Called them once when it went down...got a credit. It went down even more...called them again and got more credit.

jujube
03-10-2012, 10:06 AM
While the SW fares have risen A LOT, it is the only non stop flight from our airport to MCO, so we suck it up.

NancyIL
03-10-2012, 10:10 AM
You don't need a "no change fee" to get a credit when airfare drops. Many airlines will credit you the difference if you call them on it. You may have to use the credit on their airline later, but if you go to Disney each year (or somewhere else) you will have no problem applying the credit. I've done this on Airtran....twice for the same trip. Called them once when it went down...got a credit. It went down even more...called them again and got more credit.

Southwest, AirTran, and Jet Blue are the only airlines I'm aware of that will credit the price difference. The legacy airlines will charge ~ $150 per ticket.

vacationclub
03-10-2012, 11:03 AM
Southwest, AirTran, and Jet Blue are the only airlines I'm aware of that will credit the price difference. The legacy airlines will charge ~ $150 per ticket.

Well, i guess in this case, the PP would still not need to use SW exclusively because of its no-change fee, as at least two other airlines would also credit you, just like SW does.

bumbershoot
03-10-2012, 03:27 PM

Alaska will too. They even have a handy little online form to do it instantly. It's lovely.

jmkrat
03-11-2012, 10:04 AM
I booked our air fare and soon as the rates came out. I ended up paying 997.00 round trip for the 5 of us. Since I don't have to pay for bags, I think it ended up saving me big time. I usually travel with 2 checked per person, it could have cost us an extra 600.00 round trip on another airline. I have never flown SW, but free bags sold me on them.

OrangeCountyCommuter
03-11-2012, 10:08 AM
When the girls were younger, I could plan 6 or more months out in advance, but it just doesn't work that way for us now with them (along with dad and mom) going to college and working.

We have decided on a "last minute" trip to MCO from June 2 to June 9 from MDW. I understand the days of under $200 RT may be long gone, but $393 one way is just a bit on the high side for June travel as far as I am concerned. I have checked on Air Tran and the some of the flights are less even with baggage fees, but I need to decide if it is worth adding travel time into our schedule because of stops and plane changes.

I looked at Air Trans seat availability and see that a good number of the flights are maybe half way full or less. So I wonder if that is the same with SWA's availability?

I think in general all the airlines are charging higher fares than usual. I'm sure they are using gas prices as justification for this. I believe this has happened before and when all was said and done there was a profit seen by the airlines. I just feel frustrated that the airlines nickel and dime passengers knowing that if you want to travel, you are going to pay no matter what. I know, we can stay home, have thought about that. But with the two girls in college, will probably be the last family trip for awhile.....

And the problem is.....

"There was a profit"

It's posted as if "evil has conquered"

The point of any business is to "make a profit" If they don't make a profit they can't do things like buy new planes.

kaytieeldr
03-11-2012, 10:17 AM
And the problem is.....

"There was a profit"

It's posted as if "evil has conquered"

The point of any business is to "make a profit" If they don't make a profit they can't do things like buy new planes.
Agreed. While I don't necessarily like paying $600+ :eek: just to fly between Boston and Las Vegas, I don't resent the airline wanting to operate at a profit.

Full disclosure: $450 is my cut-off for this itinerary, and I will fly only jetBlue; I'm not going to Las Vegas this year :(

vacationclub
03-11-2012, 11:17 AM
I just feel frustrated that the airlines nickel and dime passengers knowing that if you want to travel, you are going to pay no matter what. I know, we can stay home, have thought about that. But with the two girls in college, will probably be the last family trip for awhile.....
I guess you can call it "nickel and diming". But what you're describing is capitalism. You basically just gave the reason why airlines can charge what they charge: your demand is strong enough relative to their supply.

ruadisneyfan2
03-11-2012, 02:40 PM
I've been a big SWA fan since they came to PHL. I too remember the days of $39 Dings with a choice of 6 or 8 non stops per day. I've accepted those are long over. These days, to find a one way that is still double digits is a big deal. We could fly Spirit but it's a further drive for us with very limited # of flights per day, like 2 per day often 6am and 9pm which neither is good post cruise.

Last time I shopped for airfare, SWA had awful flight times for us and non stops are almost non-existent. I could see if it was cross country but it's only a 2 hr flight, connections turn it into 4-5 hrs. Fares to Cali are ridiculous. $300-350+ one way. For a little more we could go to Europe.

I do still luv their no change fees and how their schedule rarely changes after it's published.

Corwin
03-11-2012, 02:59 PM

I'm sorry Southwest.......YOU SUCK!!!!!Fare prices often fluctuate based on fuel prices and demand. This is a fact of life for all carriers.

If you were following fare prices for the last week or two, and saw that the "cheapest was $135 each way," then why didn't you purchase the tickets at that price? You were likely gambling that the fares would decrease further, despite months of news that fuel prices were likely to continue to increase this summer, likely leading to fare hikes.

So despite this prediction, you gambled that fares would decrease, and your gamble did not pay off. I don't think that Southwest is the one that sucks, here. ;)

Indeed, for you to single out Southwest for a modest price increase (less than 10%), which is well within normal fare price fluctuations, seems misguided at best.

My dad has been slowly cleaning out his house, getting ready to downsize, and found a few items from our first Disney trip - a father/daughter trip when he was on a business trip to Cape Canaveral.

He had the plane ticket and my "wings" from United Airlines - November 1971. He had to pay for my airfare. It was $59.54 roundtrip from PHL to MCO and we went first class.

Ahhhhh, those were the days.Well, granted, that was for first class, but $59.54 in 1971 dollars equates to about $342 today. I'm paying less than that for our round trip tickets to Orlando this summer.

ruadisneyfan2
03-11-2012, 03:42 PM
Fare prices often fluctuate based on fuel prices and demand. This is a fact of life for all carriers.

If you were following fare prices for the last week or two, and saw that the "cheapest was $135 each way," then why didn't you purchase the tickets at that price? You were likely gambling that the fares would decrease further, despite months of news that fuel prices were likely to continue to increase this summer, likely leading to fare hikes.

So despite this prediction, you gambled that fares would decrease, and your gamble did not pay off. I don't think that Southwest is the one that sucks, here. ;)

Indeed, for you to single out Southwest for a modest price increase (less than 10%), which is well within normal fare price fluctuations, seems misguided at best.

Well, granted, that was for first class, but $59.54 in 1971 dollars equates to about $342 today. I'm paying less than that for our round trip tickets to Orlando this summer.

Currently a 1st class ticket to MCO is around $900. They probably didn't have nearly as many taxes & fees in those days either.

PatMcDuck
03-11-2012, 03:55 PM

You are just booking for June NOW? It is kind of late. The fares would be lower if your flights were less full. Many of us book on SW soon after the dates become available, and then watch for fare reductions as our dates com closer.

DonnaL
03-11-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm continually reading more and more complaints about Southwest.....and I have my own complaints with them also. I have to say I'm upset about a lot of their current business practices and I wonder whether it is the economic climate causing a lot of it or the change a few years back in the leadership at SWA or a combination of the two. When Colleen Barrett was in charge at SWA the business climate seemed to me to be substantially different than it currently is as so often happens when leadership changes. The focus several years ago was on the smaller regional airports....now it seems they want nothing to do with those airports......even though by flying to many of those airports is the reason they were able to grow their business to the point they are now.....I have to wonder if they will continue to prosper after pulling out of so many airports and focusing mostly on the major hubs......where competition will continue to be fierce. As for my family, we will continue to "occasionally" fly with SWA/Airtran........but, ONLY when the price is so substantially lower it would be silly not to.....since we'll need to drive an hour further to PHL rather than flying from ABE. We've already signed up for Frontier's frequent flyer program since we enjoy flying from Lehigh Valley (ABE) and most likely will switch to Frontier for most, if not all, of our flights to/from MCO. Sort of makes me sad, since I've always loved SWA and IMO their customer service had always been the best in the business.......but, as the sayings goes "that's business" so for the most part, they've lost us.

KSDisneyDad
03-11-2012, 08:23 PM
We are "loyal" Southwest customers. They have come through for us many times in the past.

Yes, the airfares are higher this year, but I have yet to find a cheaper flight on another airline. If I could find one that is at least $25 each way cheaper, I would change our reservation and use the credit for a second trip we have planned late in the year.

However, Southwest is not only within $25 of the other carriers, it is less expensive than the other carriers and I don't have to worry about bags. Since we are doing a cruise, bag fees would be quite high on another airline. I don't know if we can get by with just one checked bag per person.

So yet again, we will happily fly Southwest!

TamaraQT
03-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Well the airfare waiting and wondering game for me has officially ended today. I too Love Southwest!! I have flights going from PHL to MCO for 4 people 7/18/12. $135 x 4 =540 + 40(ebci)=$580. I would love for it to drop lower. I bought those tickets on 3/5 and as of today those tickets are now $159 for that flight. So I feel I made a good decision. If they drop again, they will probably go back down to $135, I dont see them going lower than that...but who knows.

Well...coming back from MCO to PHL on 7/28, early morning flight(7am) on SW is still $135...so it would be $580 again. I decided to take a look at AirTran and I am so glad I did. I had been watching the $118 fare for a couple of weeks. Today I noticed there were only 5 seats left. So I did the math $118 x 4 = $472. + baggage $60 = $532 + seats $38(2 priority($26) 2 reg(12)). Total $570. That includes bags and assigned seats. $10 less than Southwest, and my seats are assigned. Also, I don't have to be at the MCO airport until 9:45am(Airtran flight 1145am) instead of 5am(Southwest flight 7am). So yes, Airtran can be less expensive to fly than Southwest. This is my 2nd year coming back from Orlando on Airtran instead of Southwest because Airtran was cheaper even with baggage fees and assigned seat fees. I am glad there are other options besides Southwest, because they really aren't the lowest carrier anymore. But I will still fly Southwest when their rates are lower than others!! Good Luck to all still looking. But I have to say, I am so glad that part of my trip planning is over.

I am BOOKED!! Orlando, here we come!!! :banana:

I am still working on rental car deals. And it seems like a losing battle!!! :lmao:

MEK
03-13-2012, 09:29 AM
This is my 2nd year coming back from Orlando on Airtran instead of Southwest because Airtran was cheaper even with baggage fees and assigned seat fees. I am glad there are other options besides Southwest, because they really aren't the lowest carrier anymore. But I will still fly Southwest when their rates are lower than others!! Good Luck to all still looking. But I have to say, I am so glad that part of my trip planning is over.

I am BOOKED!! Orlando, here we come!!! :banana:

I am also using Air Tran for the first time in a long time because it was cheaper than SWA even with baggage fees. (I usually fly from BWI or PHL) We actually found reasonible flights out of ABE for $195 RT plus bags. Yeah - its a farther drive for us, but we have family that live there and we can visit them pre or post flight, plus probably get one of them to drive us to the airport. So its works for this trip.

TamaraQT
03-13-2012, 11:01 AM
I am also using Air Tran for the first time in a long time because it was cheaper than SWA even with baggage fees. (I usually fly from BWI or PHL) We actually found reasonible flights out of ABE for $195 RT plus bags. Yeah - its a farther drive for us, but we have family that live there and we can visit them pre or post flight, plus probably get one of them to drive us to the airport. So its works for this trip.

That's a GREAT deal !!!! So now you can put your airfare planning behind you and move onto Trip planning.....You are on your way!!! :cool1:

I hope you arent looking for rental car prices to drop!! OMG...this is ridiculous!!!! :rotfl2:

HayGan
03-13-2012, 11:27 AM
When SW starts charging more than $1,000 for simple 2-3 hour direct R/T flights then come complain to me. I recently paid $1,200 for a R/T ticket to Houston and $1,400 for a R/T to Toronto - both from Pittsburgh. These tickets were booked several months in advance and were in COACH!

I think that the average vacation traveler has been spoiled by low airfare. You would be flabbergasted by what us business travelers have to pay regularly by most other airlines!

Brer Chump
03-13-2012, 02:58 PM
Southwest announced that they will not have a profit in Q1 2012 due to high fuel prices. http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/13/us-southwestair-idUSBRE82C12120120313

If your playing airfare roulette, take this into consideration.

2binak
03-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Sorry you feel that way OP. I do agree with others that an increase in airfare isn't exactly a reason to say that a company sucks. In our area, we have 3 large airports to choose from so we can really price shop when it comes to airfares and in the last 3 months, I haven't seen anything to MCO for less than $270 RT from any of our 3 airports.

We're actually flying SW for the first time 8 years this Fall and their price is what got us to book with them.

We're loyal JB flyers, but last year, they took away the only non-stop flight from our home airport to MCO. Also, JB's airfare for this year's trip was going to be $420 more than SW's. We have to drive an hour away instead of our usual 15 minute drive, but even with gas & tolls, we're still saving quite a bit. We're also getting non-stop flights & much better flight times.