PDA

View Full Version : 1st time car renter question

floridascgirl
03-07-2012, 08:25 AM
We need a mid-size SUV rental in Jackson, Wy. for 7/10-7/19 and boy did I flip when I saw the quote of $1300. :eek: We are members of AAA, Costco, and all the car loyalty programs...I tried lots of combos.

I saw today that it inched down to $1000 on the Hertz website with a AAA member discount applied, but that is still waaaaay more than I want to pay. I've noticed that it's still too early to apply most coupons (or they aren't honored in Wy.).

My main question is should I go ahead and reserve at this rate or just wait till some coupons come out for my dates? Do I need to "hold" my car? Also, I know that I can always rebook if I see a better deal. Do you then just modify your existing reservation online or do you cancel and rebook...losing your "held" car anyway?

Thanks to all of you experts in the field!!! :goodvibes

jjiillee
03-07-2012, 09:23 AM
I am wondering the same thing. we need to rent a car in ft. myers and drop off in Orlando a week later after we go to sea world. I am getting quotes of$800+ for one week with an SUV or mini van, even with discount codes. We are a family of 5 so we would rather have an SUV or van.

jjiillee
03-07-2012, 09:27 AM
Just wanted to let you know I found a site called rentalcarmomma and i went to the Avis discounts page and got a quote there for a free upgrade. It gave me $621.31 for a mini van for a week. a little better.

webworm
03-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I am wondering the same thing. we need to rent a car in ft. myers and drop off in Orlando a week later after we go to sea world. I am getting quotes of$800+ for one week with an SUV or mini van, even with discount codes. We are a family of 5 so we would rather have an SUV or van.

Have you tried with Budget using BCD x474200 (travelocity code) and E-Coupon MUGZ029 for $30.00 off. Note coupon will be applied when you return minvan.
https://book1.carrental.com/dcweb/app?service=page/BUDStep1&pid=Costco&locale=en&budgetCoupon=MUGZ029&CID=W852802_30offweekly

floridascgirl
03-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Does anyone have any advice on my original question in the 1st post...specifically, the last few lines? Thanks! :goodvibes

rwdavis2
03-07-2012, 10:15 AM
If I need to rebook I cancel and book it. But I have the lower rate offer already in a browser in case it disappears between cancel and rebook.

wdwrich
03-07-2012, 11:01 AM
I always book the new/cheaper rate before I cancel my existing reservation. Note that the best rates are usually found 1 to 2 months prior to the rental date, hence it's a bit too early for your July trip.

floridascgirl
03-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks for your replies and the tip about rebooking before cancelling. I would have thought that the system would have recognized an already existing reservation. I'll just keep my eye on things for now. :)