PDA

View Full Version : Florida Turnpike-no more cash?

TamieH
03-03-2012, 10:26 AM
We always take a baggie with quarters just for the turnpike tolls. I noticed on my Budget reservation for May that it says the Florida Turnpike rmoved all cash toll takers and I have to either use my own SunPass (which I don't have since I live in KS) or auto-enroll in Budgets e-Toll which will incur a daily fee of $2.95 on top of any tolls.

Can anyone confirm this is really true. Not even the non-manned quarter machines? If so, anyone know if the daily fee is only if you use it or every day of your rental? We will definitely use it at least twice in our 6 day trip, but maybe more. That's really going to add up.

Are all car rentals the same? What a racket.... Help

greenclan67
03-03-2012, 10:47 AM
We always take a baggie with quarters just for the turnpike tolls. I noticed on my Budget reservation for May that it says the Florida Turnpike rmoved all cash toll takers and I have to either use my own SunPass (which I don't have since I live in KS) or auto-enroll in Budgets e-Toll which will incur a daily fee of $2.95 on top of any tolls.

Can anyone confirm this is really true. Not even the non-manned quarter machines? If so, anyone know if the daily fee is only if you use it or every day of your rental? We will definitely use it at least twice in our 6 day trip, but maybe more. That's really going to add up.

Are all car rentals the same? What a racket.... Help

I would love to know the answer to this as well! We are flying into Sanford and driving to the Disney area. What can we expect as far as tolls and such. I do the same thing, keep a baggie with change for the tolls! Hope to hear some answers!

lost*in*cyberspace
03-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Did you check the Florida Turnpike web page? You can get accurate information there:

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/tools_paytoll.cfm

Danibelle
03-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Did you check the Florida Turnpike web page? You can get accurate information there:

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/tools_paytoll.cfm

I just checked this website and right now only Miami-Dade (the lower 47 miles of the turnpike) are electronic tolling.

joelkfla
03-03-2012, 05:01 PM
I just checked this website and right now only Miami-Dade (the lower 47 miles of the turnpike) are electronic tolling.
That is correct. There are no cashless toll roads in the Orlando area, and there are no plans to go cashless for at least several years.

Budget appears to be passing out inaccurate info to increase sales of it's electronic toll collection.

Sammie
03-04-2012, 12:50 AM
In December due to my Mother trying to yell in my ear which way to go, I missed getting off to pay a toll and wrongly got in the Sun Pass Lane.

I was mailed a bill a few weeks later, with a service fee, that was more than the toll and it had an insert stating that soon all tolls in the Orlando area would be unmanned. They gave no stating date. But the insert said that Maimi/Dade would be first then Orlando next.

The brochure even went into great detail to tell you how it would be handled. You can purchase a sun pass or you can simply drive through, they will photo your license and bill you, plus the handling fee.

They did not state how rental cars would be handled, except to say info would be given at the time of rental.

Carriemel
03-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Point is, Orlando has NOT started yet. Only Miami-Dade county has converted so far. With as many tourists as travel in Orange/Osceola counties (where Mickey lives), I honestly think it's highly unlikely that they will convert to a cashless system. And, I *think* that even if they're unmanned, they have a bucket to collect money.

Chuck S
03-04-2012, 07:21 AM
I wish all the various state with toll roads would get together and make some sort of national epass gizmo that is good on all toll roads in every state, THEN they could go cashless, but really, as all the others have said, for the sheer number of people that drive to Disney, myself included, going cashless seem like it would cause more problems than it would solve...plus factor in international travelers unfamiliar with the system.

Brian Noble
03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Here's a short summary of the various rental car policies for using cashless tolls:

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar

I tend to rent from National, and their prices aren't all that bad: an extra $2 per 24 hour rental period in which you *use* a toll road, plus the tolls themselves. If you are a very frequent visitor, and you rent, buying your own portable transponder might be worth doing. They are $25 and can be moved from vehicle to vehicle.

backyardponder
03-04-2012, 04:56 PM
I wish all the various state with toll roads would get together and make some sort of national epass gizmo that is good on all toll roads in every state, THEN they could go cashless, but really, as all the others have said, for the sheer number of people that drive to Disney, myself included, going cashless seem like it would cause more problems than it would solve...plus factor in international travelers unfamiliar with the system.

I sure agree with you Chuck. When I drive east, my I-PASS (Illinois) works in Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, NY, NJ, and a bunch of other states in the East. In this day of technology, there's absolutely no reason they couldn't work everywhere.

Sammie
03-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Point is, Orlando has NOT started yet. Only Miami-Dade county has converted so far. With as many tourists as travel in Orange/Osceola counties (where Mickey lives), I honestly think it's highly unlikely that they will convert to a cashless system. And, I *think* that even if they're unmanned, they have a bucket to collect money.

I was shocked also, when reading the brochure. However do you think they would take the time to include this if it was not planned for the near future. :confused3

I hope it's not but who knows. Maybe it will take years for them to come North.

joelkfla
03-04-2012, 10:35 PM
I was shocked also, when reading the brochure. However do you think they would take the time to include this if it was not planned for the near future. :confused3

I hope it's not but who knows. Maybe it will take years for them to come North.
According to the Turnpike web site, construction in Broward County will start this year, with conversion in summer of 2013. It seems reasonable to assume that the earliest Orange County would convert would be 2014.

Also, the website says renters can register their rental car directly with the Turnpike Enterprise and provide a credit card, completely bypassing the rental company fees. Tolls will be assessed by taking a photo of the license plate.

The other toll roads in the area are split between the Turnpike Enterprise and the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority (OOCEA). OOCEA has floated the idea of cashless tolling, but no plans have been announced. At the moment, the authority is busy with political issues and ethics scandals.