PDA

View Full Version : Tollways

cnachtma
02-26-2012, 08:48 AM
We are flying into Orlando Int. and renting a car. We plan on driving to Cocoa Beach for a couple days then back to Disney World. For the rental car they offer the option to use their transmitter for the tolls at an extra cost no less. I was wondering if there are tollbooths along the route above where I can use coins so I don't have to add the extra charge to the rental car?
Thanks,
Chad

vicki_c
02-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Yes, there are. You have to be careful leaving Disney back towards the airport / beach because there is at least one toll where you actually have to "exit" (for lack of a better word) to the right to pay the toll, while those using electronic tolling can just continue straight on the road.

A Mickeyfan
02-26-2012, 06:28 PM
how much extra are they charging you for the transponder usage? If it is a lot of money, you may be better of just paying the tolls. There is one toll as Vicki said, it does look like you have to exit off, but it there are signs.. there is only one like that.

here is a website where you can calculate your tolls in advance and see if it's worth getting the transponder from the car rental agency.

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/TRI/index.htm

the actual home page for the site is the FL Dept of Transportation..

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/

hope this helps you... I tried to calculate for you but I am having a hard time.. it won't let me go to I95 ?????

cnachtma
02-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I think they want 6 or 7 dollars a day plus the tolls. We are going to have the car for 10 days and only 3 of those days we will be using the tollways. I ordered a mini transponder and hopefully it gets here before my trip. If it doesn't I will just have stop and pay cash. I figure we will be back a number of times so I might as well have the transponder.
Thanks for all of your replys.
Chad

A Mickeyfan
02-26-2012, 06:44 PM
that was a smart move.. it won't hurt to have it. I have one but I live in Lee County FL and mine is compatible with the SunPass.. my county is the only county who doesn't use the SunPass. If I want to purchase that and get their discounts, I can't get the discounts here in Lee County.. go figure.. They should have one for the entire State.. nope, my county has to be difficult :headache: Either will work in either place.. just no discounts unless you have the LeeWay Transponder for Lee County.. and SunPass for the other places... :confused3

GraceLuvsWDW
02-26-2012, 07:37 PM
nevermind.