PDA

View Full Version : Birdwatching

GirlDreamer
02-19-2012, 08:30 AM
I want to surprise my boyfriend when we go to Orlando in sept. He loves to birdwatch, so I thought I might try and plan a day out where he gets to do this. I'm not even a little bit interested in it myself, so clearly I'm clueless when it comes to this and knowing how to plan. I've looked at the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, which seems like a good place. But does anyone have any tips about where to go and what to bring and so on?

http://www.lol-site.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/c1d12_funny-dog-pictures-ooh-hey-there-can-u-halp.jpg?w=560

bcrook
02-19-2012, 10:29 PM
This is a good question, and I would enjoy this day out too. I haven't explored the areas much around Orlando. There are so many conservation areas in Mid Florida, that I don't think you can go wrong exploring them. If you are going to the Coast near Merritt, The Canaveral National Seashore looks great. I have stayed all along the coast, and find birding exciting.

The Tampa area provides a lot of great places to anywhere along the water.

The Everglades are further away, but is worth the visit. One of my favorite things to do is finding Anhingas in the Orlando ponds and lakes.

Have fun.

JANNYANS
02-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Merritt Island is great I was there again just last week and saw lots of birds.At the moment they have eagles nesting and have set up scopes so you can view the nest and see the babies .You see water birds as well as shore birds there .

GirlDreamer
02-20-2012, 05:45 AM
Do you just park at the visitor centre then? I don't think I can plan too much of the day, so thought maybe it's best to just drive to the visitor centre and then let my boyfriend take it from there.

I don't know if I should tell him before we go though, or just take him with me without him knowing what we're doing that day :P

JANNYANS
02-20-2012, 08:28 AM
Yes you need to go to the VC as the drive through the nature area is a fee paying one -I $4 a car .It is a one way drive with many stopping points along the way.There is also a shore line drive too.A boardwalk is by the VC and that is free.

GirlDreamer
02-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Cool, thanks :goodvibes Also, do you have any tips for food and drinks? Do we need to bring that with us or do they have some sort of cafe or kiosk at the VC?

JimMIA
02-20-2012, 08:24 PM
The Everglades are further away, but is worth the visit. The true Everglades (Everglades National Park) is amazing but many of the species here are wading birds who are very sensitive to water levels.

September would be about the worst possible time of the year to visit the Everglades because it's at the end of our wet season, water levels are very high, so both prey and predators are widely scattered.

The time to visit the Everglades for birding is Dec-Feb.

I suspect the central east coast and central west coast are similarly seasonal, although their seasons are probably different from ours. Also, the seasons will vary by species.

JANNYANS
02-21-2012, 08:28 AM
The VC only has water or juice to sell so it may be worth taking your own as ther isn't a lot of places to eat in Titusvile but we found s family type diner called Steves which was good and not far away

it doesn't have a website but the address is 2900 South Washington Avenue Titusville, FL 32780
(321) 268-30

GirlDreamer
02-21-2012, 09:54 AM
Okay, I think I saw a Subway on the map, and we both like that :P But I guess we're fine as long as there's a supermarket there.

TrustedTraveler
02-27-2012, 07:56 AM
We brought the whole family out to Blue Springs State Park to see the Manatees a few years ago and went on a fantastic nature cruise where we saw birds we never heard of.
It was a wonderful tour and everyone, kids included, said it was the best part of our Disney Trip.
St. Johns River Cruises At Blue Spring State Park, 2100 West French Ave.
Orange City, Florida 32763 http://www.sjrivercruises.com/
Even if you are not into birding, I think you will enjoy the tour and the park. It's about an hour away from WDW.