PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons for Eastern or western

happyj
02-16-2012, 05:08 PM
If you have the choice which would you do an eastern or western cruise ?

perdidobay
02-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I have done both, and I prefer the eastern, for several reasons, including one more sea day on the eastern, I just love sea days.
Also, I like that the islands the eastern cruise stops at are hilly, instead of flat islands. Just more scenic, IMHO.

MinnesotaMouseketeers
02-16-2012, 05:35 PM
I have done both, and I prefer the eastern, for several reasons, including one more sea day on the eastern, I just love sea days.
Also, I like that the islands the eastern cruise stops at are hilly, instead of flat islands. Just more scenic, IMHO.

First off we have not done a western yet, we do have one booked for 2013. But I agree with above post, we love the sea days.

starch139
02-16-2012, 05:42 PM
Heres another vote for eastern! We haven't done the western yet but we are doing the eastern again in 2013 because of the extra sea day and I can't wait to see more of St Marteen.:thumbsup2

JodyTG
02-16-2012, 05:53 PM
I can't really say because we're about to go on our first Eastern cruise. I was on the fence this year, but the State Department warning about travelling to Mexico decided me. I know Cozumel and Costa Maya are probably safe, but I just don't want to have to think about possibly being kidnapped on vacation. I know that nowhere is absolutely safe but...
:confused3

Plus, there's one more sea day on the Eastern and I've always wanted to see Puerto Rico.

disneywonderfun
02-16-2012, 05:56 PM
This question is asked fairly frequently. The overall opinion appears to be around 70% for the Eastern and 30% of the Western.

I am in the Western category. Having young children, the stops at Cayman as well as Cozumel offer many more options which my children find interesting. Also, neither my wife and I are enthusiastic about snorkeling which seems like one of the appeals on the Eastern run. In addition, I HATE a third day at sea. Most cruises try to downplay days at sea, but it seems there is a significant number that like them on Disney cruises. Again, just my opinion, but 4,000 passengers running around the decks, swimming in the pools, saving chairs in the theater, etc. is not my idea of fun. The best times I have on the ship is sitting at port with 80% of the people off on an excursion. My wife and I can get a casual lunch in one of the rotational restaurants. Our kids can go on the Aquaslide endlessly. The movies have only a handful of people inside. I guess it is almost as if the ship is all to ourselves. Give me only one day at sea on a seven night cruise, and I would be more than happy.

DWF

JodyTG
02-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Hmmm....you do make some really good points here. I COULD always just stay on the ship... Look what you've done! You're making me re-think my re-thought and re-decided decision!!!
:scared1:

This question is asked fairly frequently. The overall opinion appears to be around 70% for the Eastern and 30% of the Western.

I am in the Western category. Having young children, the stops at Cayman as well as Cozumel offer many more options which my children find interesting. Also, neither my wife and I are enthusiastic about snorkeling which seems like one of the appeals on the Eastern run. In addition, I HATE a third day at sea. Most cruises try to downplay days at sea, but it seems there is a significant number that like them on Disney cruises. Again, just my opinion, but 4,000 passengers running around the decks, swimming in the pools, saving chairs in the theater, etc. is not my idea of fun. The best times I have on the ship is sitting at port with 80% of the people off on an excursion. My wife and I can get a casual lunch in one of the rotational restaurants. Our kids can go on the Aquaslide endlessly. The movies have only a handful of people inside. I guess it is almost as if the ship is all to ourselves. Give me only one day at sea on a seven night cruise, and I would be more than happy.

DWF

4butlers
02-16-2012, 06:06 PM
As of right now, we haven't done either. But we chose the Eastern because stopping in Mexico didn't appeal to us.
But, having said that, we will most likely do a Western in the future.

Florida Dreamin'
02-16-2012, 06:33 PM
It just depends. If the western is going to Key West, then the western. If it's not going to Key West, then the eastern. :)

Niebz
02-16-2012, 06:38 PM
I've heard the Western has calmer seas than the Eastern. Is this true? We'd love to take a longer cruise sometime but the potential for rougher seas worries me a bit.

Mom2Kaylee
02-16-2012, 07:22 PM
I just booked the Western today, I wont be getting off at any of the stops so Ill have 7 sea days lol! :cool1:

**ETA: Except Castaway Cay of course

kendzee94
02-16-2012, 07:25 PM
Having done neither the Eastern or Western, we decided the Western to go to Costa Maya. The other ports are just "gravy"!