PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else cruise with carry-ons only?

Contraflow
02-16-2012, 12:15 PM
The longest we have done is seven days with a carry-on for each of us and one extra for toiletries, a purse and a computer bag.

We don't do laundry ever on a ship...it's a vacation! If we have to, we just send something out.

Anyone else cruise using only a carry-on?

DisneyOHFan
02-16-2012, 12:24 PM
We just did the Dream in January and did carry-on only. It worked great for us.

lmhall2000
02-16-2012, 12:26 PM
We did a 10 night (first cruise) with just one carryon each and a small backpack, now we go with just five carryons and two packs....so much easier!

Tracerr00
02-16-2012, 01:11 PM
We just did a 7 day cruise/WDW vacation and we packed carry ons only. My DD had one of the small suitcase carry ons and I had one as well. And then we each had a large shoulder bag/backpack as our "purse". It worked out great for us and I don't think we wished that we'd brought more. :)

Glamgirl4579
02-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Can you guys come and pack for me???

KayW
02-16-2012, 01:14 PM
We only do carryons. I have a duffel and then my personal bag. My dd has her own and my dh has a dufel and his CPAP. So much easier to manage.

mollygirl13
02-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Good grief! I bring a carry-on for my SHOES! :scared1:

Oh how I envy those who can bring a carry-on for an entire cruise! :thumbsup2

KBT35
02-16-2012, 01:35 PM
I would prefer to but then are you lugging it around with you waiting for the rooms to be available?

Similar question about Castaway Day aside from KTTW card, sunglasses, reading material...do you need to bring anything else with you and what do you do with it while you enjoy the ocean? It's just my DS and I so there will be no one to watch our things or save our chairs per se.

DisneyOHFan
02-16-2012, 01:47 PM
Similar question about Castaway Day aside from KTTW card, sunglasses, reading material...do you need to bring anything else with you and what do you do with it while you enjoy the ocean? It's just my DS and I so there will be no one to watch our things or save our chairs per se.

We bring a beach bag with our things, including water we brought with us. We generally have a spot in the first row, so we can keep an eye on our things. If we leave the area, I just bring our KTWC with us. We have never had an issue with anything being disturbed while we are away.

Alexander
02-16-2012, 02:02 PM
Yes. DS and I cruised a couple of years ago with only carry-ons. It worked out perfectly, as the first leg of our connecting flight had mechanical issues and we weren't going to make our second flight. (This was the day before the cruise, so we had plenty of time). We were able to change our arrival airport in FL from JAX to MCO because we hadn't loaded any luggage on the plane. It also worked out because we had a much shorter drive to the port!

We had originally taken only carry-ons because on the cruise before this one Delta sent my luggage to Savannah instead of Orlando, and we didn't get our luggage until the morning of the cruise. I didn't want to risk it on our second cruise!

Since then I have relaxed a bit and usually check bags. I may reconsider when we travel next month as the $25/bag is pretty steep. We usually fly JetBlue so we don't have fees, but this time we are back with Delta.

bobbiwoz
02-16-2012, 02:11 PM
DSis just did a 7 night Carnival cruise with just a carry on. I couldn't do it, but she likes to pack light!

Feisty Fairy
02-16-2012, 02:19 PM
The longest we have done is seven days with a carry-on for each of us and one extra for toiletries, a purse and a computer bag.

We don't do laundry ever on a ship...it's a vacation! If we have to, we just send something out.

Anyone else cruise using only a carry-on?

We always try to travel carry on only. I am always worried about lost luggage. The plan is for me and hubby to each have on carry on size limit and pack a smaller bag inside one of the larger bags with toiletries in it.

Im_A_Princess
02-16-2012, 02:23 PM
We use carry on size bags for the 7 day cruises. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2
Dinner clothes are only on for the show and dinner so I bring a few pants and mix and match clothes for dinners. Most of the time on the ship I am in my bathing suit! So I bring 2 of them.
:rotfl: Usually check them though because I am too lazy to roll them around with me at the airport and plane.

SILLYANDI
02-16-2012, 02:24 PM
I would prefer to but then are you lugging it around with you waiting for the rooms to be available?

You check your carry ons when you get to the port and they arrive in your room.

and on CC we bring one tote bag for all the "beach" stuff and leave it on our chairs if we are in the water. We've never had anything stolen, and usually there is someone close by that you can ask to keep an eye if you're really worried (or take turns staying at the chairs).

NancyIL
02-16-2012, 02:28 PM
I have taken only carry-ons for a 3-week land trip in Europe and for WDW trips - but so far not for cruises. I would like to get by with only carry-ons for a Med cruise in May, because I will be taking several trains before and after the cruise. That will require limiting dress clothes and shoes, and toiletries will be in the backpack.

disneybeachprincess
02-16-2012, 03:00 PM
dsis just did a 7 night carnival cruise with just a carry on. I couldn't do it, but she likes to pack light!
lol---lol---lol---

KBT35
02-16-2012, 04:22 PM
You check your carry ons when you get to the port and they arrive in your room.

and on CC we bring one tote bag for all the "beach" stuff and leave it on our chairs if we are in the water. We've never had anything stolen, and usually there is someone close by that you can ask to keep an eye if you're really worried (or take turns staying at the chairs).

Ok great! That's what I needed to know!

Now as for taking turns staying with the chairs that's NOT gonna happen! LOL! It's just my DS 9 and I, I'm gonna be out there splashing him & having fun with him! LOL! :yay:

Poly-Anna
02-16-2012, 07:30 PM
In fact, when my DH and I got married in Hawaii, we had 1 carry-on each (which included my wedding gown and his suit) and a small bag each. :bride: I am petrified our luggage will get lost so I never take any chances and only use carry-ons. Even with carry-ons, I still find that I over pack and we bring home clean clothes that we never wore. :laundy:

remlap
02-16-2012, 09:46 PM
On a 3 or 4 night only carry on. By Carry On, I mean Carry Off. For a buck I'll give my suitcase to the porters and have it magically show up at my stateroom.

That said, its so much easier to just walk off the ship with your roller board. No waiting for a character. No rushing the last night to pack to get your suitcase outside the door.

What about breakfast? What about it. First, lots of people bring their luggage to the restaurant. Second, the last morning breakfast sucks. Hit the buffet or eat off the ship.

modisneychick
02-16-2012, 10:44 PM
We did carry-on only for our December Dream cruise. It wasn't fun at lunch and until the rooms were ready, but worked great otherwise!

Dallas_Lady
02-16-2012, 10:51 PM
How do you manage the toiletries, liquids, etc. doing just carry-ons? I feel like 3 ounces of all my "stuff" isn't going to cut it.

woody73
02-16-2012, 11:22 PM
We always travel with just carry-ons, including our last couple of Disney cruises.

Woody

ILoveToRun
02-16-2012, 11:43 PM
I could try but I don't think it would work, even on a 3 night trip, I pack a full carry-on roller and a large back pack and still feel like I need more room. But, I have to have special shampoo and conditioner because I am picky about those things, I change about 3 times each day, I need my hairdryer because my hair is thick and takes too long with crappy dryers, I run even on vacation so I need outfits and other stuff for that. Really, it's a wonder sometimes that I fit all my crap into the suitcases I do.

At least I'm only 5'2" and 100 pounds, I require smaller clothes, ha!

For our cruise, I'll have my large 28" hard luggage checked, my 22" carry-on roller and a large backpack (yes, it goes under the seat) and I'll probably do a load of laundry and some stuff in my boyfriend's suitcase.

ILoveToRun
02-16-2012, 11:55 PM
How do you manage the toiletries, liquids, etc. doing just carry-ons? I feel like 3 ounces of all my "stuff" isn't going to cut it.

The only things I need fit easily, but I use a slightly larger bag to put it in because I cannot find that size bag anymore (I saw you are rookie flyers so idk if you know that you have to put it all in a bag of a certain size). No one has checked the size and I am willing to dump stuff as needed.

I get these things called GoToobs. They are made for traveling and come in 3 oz, 2 oz, 1.25 oz I think. I use professional shampoos like Matrix and Fekkai that are highly concentrated so those fit for a week into one of those 2 oz containers easily, I usually end up with some left. For conditioner, it's the same only it goes into a 3 oz. For toothpaste, deodorant, face lotion, sunscreen, body wash, lotion and face wash, I just get the travel size stuff.

This allotment is also per person so you can spread it between all members of your party. I usually find that I never use all my toothpaste so maybe you can spread that with two people, we have before. Have your kids "carry-on" their own liquids too. You'll just have to divide this stuff up a little but it's not bad really.

Contraflow
02-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Rolling clothes...they are your friend!

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/06/business/businessspecial/20100506-pack-ss.html

luv2sleep
02-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Rolling clothes...they are your friend!

http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/05/06/business/businessspecial/20100506-pack-ss.html

That was really helpful! Thanks for posting that. My goal has been to only carry on from now on. I will definitely be rolling my clothes! :goodvibes

NancyIL
02-17-2012, 07:44 AM
The only things I need fit easily, but I use a slightly larger bag to put it in because I cannot find that size bag anymore (I saw you are rookie flyers so idk if you know that you have to put it all in a bag of a certain size). No one has checked the size and I am willing to dump stuff as needed.

Quart-size Ziploc bags ought to be available at any grocery store or Walmart. My quart-size plastic bag is always VERY full of the small sizes of toiletries I use, plus mascara and perfume, but it is doable.

I once brought a checked bag AND a 21-inch roller bag for a 9-night cruise, and it was too much luggage to deal with. I want to go on a Rick Steves' bus tour in Europe one of these years, and everyone is limited to a 21-inch carry-on bag and a small backpack. I need to work on getting by with less.

Tracerr00
02-17-2012, 09:09 AM

I actually need a little more than one quart size ziploc full of stuff so I make my DD12 put one in her carry on too and then send it through the security scanner! It's one per person right? :lmao:

DisneyOHFan
02-17-2012, 09:17 AM
I actually need a little more than one quart size ziploc full of stuff so I make my DD12 put one in her carry on too and then send it through the security scanner! It's one per person right? :lmao:

That is exactly what we do. I always kid my DS and tell him that his shade of make-up is lovely :rotfl:

kimpossible
02-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Do prescription meds. (epi pens) count towards your quart sized liquids. Or are you allowed that as well? Also,did I hear that mascara and lipstick (not gloss) do not count?

NancyIL
02-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Do prescription Ned's. (epi pens) count towards your quart sized liquids. Or are you allowed that as well? Also,did i hear that mascara and lipstick (not gloss) do not count?

Mascara is considered a liquid, but lipstick is not. I believe meds are not part of your 1 qt. bag allotment.

kimpossible
02-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Mascara is considered a liquid, but lipstick is not. I believe meds are not part of your 1 qt. bag allotment.

Thanks.

Sir William
02-17-2012, 11:17 AM

From TSA's website:

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure.

Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Officers may need to open these items to conduct additional screening.

Lipstick and chapstick logically are not liquids but I've heard some TSA agents tell people that they must be in the 1 qt bag.