PDA

View Full Version : Disney's Exclusive Dog Musher for the Day/ Juneau

TweedleDee/Dum
02-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Has anyone been on the Disney Exclusive Dog Musher for a day excursion in Juneau? Is it worth the money?

EGHopeful
02-15-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm planning on the Alaska cruise for 2013 and read about this excursion. Expensive but my DD9 would LOVE LOVE LOVE this! She is such a huge animal person anything dogs/horses :lovestruc

I'd also love to hear what others have to say!

momto2girls
02-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I was looking at that one as well! Hope there are some reports out there.

jel0511
02-15-2012, 02:04 PM
I didn't do the Disney exclusive one, but I did a similar one. It was Dog Sledding on Mendenhall Glacier. It was the HIGHLIGHT of our Alaskan cruise! Worth EVERY penny!!! I highly recommend you doing one of the dog sledding ones! Be careful, the Disney Exclusive one was sold out pretty quickly, I think it was sold out right after concierge/platinum booking. All of the dog sled ones sell out quickly, as they only book 6-10 on each time, as there is only so much room in the helicopters. They ran 2 helicopters on the one we did and there was only a total of 9 people in our time slot.

TweedleDee/Dum
02-15-2012, 02:04 PM
I was looking at that one as well! Hope there are some reports out there.

Me too!! We need details!! The "Musher Camp and Sled Dog Experience" in Skagway is cheeper but it does not sound as personable as the Disney exclusive in Juneau. Not to mention the helicopter ride with the Disney exclusive tour. I am leaning towards the Disney exclusive excursion. I just want details!!:flower3: Please!!

mindelmouse
02-15-2012, 02:44 PM
If you're talking about the dog musher summer camp. We did that. The kids loved it. We got to their summer camp, it was a bit wet and drizzly but not bad...the sun actually came out a bit. We got assigned to a musher and a sled (so to speak.) My son called it a souped up golf cart, it held 6 people sitting and then the musher in the back.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp306/mindelmouse/IMG_2216.jpg
We went around a course they had set up about 5 times and then we got about 20 minutes to meet and play with the dogs.
http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp306/mindelmouse/IMG_2205.jpg
My son thought the dogs really liked him until I pointed out that they were using him as a towel to wipe the mud off their faces.:rotfl:
http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp306/mindelmouse/IMG_0173.jpg
They then took us over to an area where someone explained how the summer camp worked and how they took care of the dogs. They had a few suspension bridges set up that we went over and then we learned about the iditard and got to stand on an actual sled and the kids wore the clothes.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp306/mindelmouse/IMG_2219.jpg

Then then offered us hot chocolate, coffee and tea and then we got to meet some 2 week old puppies. When describing it, it doesn't seem like all that much, but we had fun and most of all the kids still talk about it.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp306/mindelmouse/IMG_2232.jpg

marshmellow86
02-19-2012, 01:40 PM
I am very interested in hearing feedback on this one too, as we booked June 2013.

Living in Florida my kids have never seen snow, so we were interested in the one on the glacier. We would get to fly in a helicopter (though I am a little nervous about one) AND see the dogs and ride in the dogsled across the ice. Sounds awesome, though the $2600 price for our family of 4 scares me - as I have taken cruises for less than that! But i do think it sounds like a wonderful once in a lifetime experience.

wdwwishes
02-19-2012, 04:49 PM
We were considering this one but opted for the one right below it in price point and had a fantastic time, I believe it's the one called Dog Sled Adventure by Helicopter. We had a fantastic time with the dogs, the ride was great, the scenery from the helicopter was spectacular. By doing this one not only did we save a few bucks, we had a bit of time to look around Juneau and grab a bite to eat before heading back to the ship. While on the glacier we could see another campsite not too far away but there wasn't anything going on there. We asked our guide about it and she said its something used by Disney but they hadn't had anything going over there. I'm not sure what she meant by that. As for our experience, our flight to the glacier was 15/20 minutes, we had about 20 minutes with the dogs before the ride which was about 20 minutes followed by a few more minutes with them afterwards. The flight back was about 15 minutes as it was a more direct route. All in all it really was amazing and I didn't regret not doing the musher for a day.

jlwhitney
02-19-2012, 06:32 PM
We did Dog SLedding on a glacier in juneau on our own through coastal helicopters. It was great, book on your own. It is significantly cheaper. Plus you get better service and more control of your time and such.

Coastal let us pick the meeting point and the drop off point.

grlzmom
02-19-2012, 06:54 PM
We also did Coastal Helicopters (booked on our own) and it was the best thing about our cruise! Kids still talk about it and even though expensive, was well worth the $$$$.

Tami0220
02-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Didnt do this as a Disney excursion, but did do a dog sled ride. I would do it again. But, let me tell you, sled dogs are like horses. They have to stop to pee, but if they are doing the other it's while they run. We were low to the ground and it's coming at you, lol

marshmellow86
02-20-2012, 03:30 PM
We were considering this one but opted for the one right below it in price point and had a fantastic time, I believe it's the one called Dog Sled Adventure by Helicopter. We had a fantastic time with the dogs, the ride was great, the scenery from the helicopter was spectacular. By doing this one not only did we save a few bucks, we had a bit of time to look around Juneau and grab a bite to eat before heading back to the ship.

Excellent point. I actually went back and re-read the two and I see your point. We are not as interested in viewing the camp and such, so the shorter one would be fine for us, AND give us more time to do something else in port. Thanks!

And thanks to the person with the info on Coastal Helicopters. We might just do that one!

jel0511
02-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Excellent point. I actually went back and re-read the two and I see your point. We are not as interested in viewing the camp and such, so the shorter one would be fine for us, AND give us more time to do something else in port. Thanks!

And thanks to the person with the info on Coastal Helicopters. We might just do that one!

We went with DCL and they used Temsco helicopter maybe they'd be cheaper if booked directly.