PDA

View Full Version : Pixar Cruise Line

toontoy
02-15-2012, 08:19 AM
I know I may get flamed for this but I have thought about this alot lately. We just got off the wonder and have sailed the magic and wonder multiple times. I am really excited about cruising on the new Fantasy but everytime I look at the ship I think to myself. Are the Dream and Fantasy really Disney Ships or Pixar ships. It seems they should have billed them as Pixar Cruise Lines. I do like Pixar but I like classic disney stuff more and it seemed to work much better than the blended form of the new ships.

It seems the classic ships are classical from the style and it seems more classical in Disney heritage than the newer ones. I am just wondering why all the new areas on the ship from the play lands to dining have Pixar all over them and shoved Mickey to the side. I will note I read about the 2nd Animatiors Pallate show and it has Mickey but why not the 1st as I thought Mickey was the Ruler so to speak.

Anyways those are my thoughts any ideas why so much Pixar on the Pixar Dream and Pixar Fantasy, Oh I meant Disney

NancyIL
02-15-2012, 08:40 AM
For one thing, Toy Story and Nemo are HUGELY popular with kids...and adults! I might've grown up with Mickey Mouse, but I love the Pixar films.

solfan68
02-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Just off the top of my head, here's what I came up with.

Classic characters featured in: Aquaduck, pools, midship detective, back of ship, atrium statue, and stage shows(the TS musical is on one of the classic boats, right ?)

Pixar nods in: food court, nemo's reef, Remy, and animator's palette

Seems like a mix to me. :confused3

sambycat
02-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Pixar = Disney. I'm not sure how you get that poor Mickey is shoved aside but to each his own. Many of Disneys most recent popular characters do come fromtge Pixar subsidiary, so given the demographic the ship is trying to attract, it would only make sense. I've got favorites about both ships, but if they could give the new ones decent sized pools in the shape of characters from Cars 2, I'd take em!!

hudson3709
02-15-2012, 09:08 AM
If you look at the popularity of the Disney Movies, next to the Pixar movies from the release of Toy Story in 1995 you will see much more popular movies on the Pixar side. And kids born in 1995 (release of Toy Story) are now 17 years old. So the entire child demographic that the new boats are geared towards have grown up on Pixar films, not Disney film like many of us did. I think from a business perspective, Pixar characters are what the kids today relate to.

MoranClan
02-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Here is my opinion. The new ships are targeting families with children, the more popular movies happen to be pixar. Most of the kids areas are pixar, but classic Disney is all over the ship. Take a walk around the ship, the pictures on the walls, the interactive pictures are 95% classic Disney.

When you walk in to the Atrium, its all Classic Disney.

I like the mix

DL1957
02-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Mickey is still Captain of the Ship and seen everywhere!
I agree with OP Disney = Pixard. This is not like the cruise line that has a temporary agreement with the Shrek group.

CrusNewb
02-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Even so, the cycle is already turning. While my daughter is in love with the whole Princess thing, my son knows who Mickey is not because of movies or television. Well, ok, he did watch the clubhouse show that is on now. But his real interest is from Epic Mickey. That is introduction to old school Disney.

Kids now know Disney through Pixar, which is the real artistic heir to the Disney vision. But kids growing up now will know Disney through other new media.

kcashner
02-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Each ship has featured films that were popular in the decade or so before the ship was constructed as well as the classic characters. On the Magic you have Beauty and the Beast themes in Lumiere's, The Little Mermaid is featured in Flounder's Reef, and Buzz Lightyear ruled the Oceaneer's Lab. Of course, Mickey rules the atrium, Goofy and Pluto have food outlets, and they all share Animator's Palate.

It makes sense that 15 years later the newer ships are featuring newer films as well as the classics.

TDC Nala
02-15-2012, 11:31 AM
There was a lot of Nemo on the Dream but I can't say it bothered me. It makes sense actually. It's a ship, and they're fish. And Pixar IS Disney. At least they are now. I hear the interactive pictures on the Fantasy will feature the Muppets. They're not Pixar but they're not classic Disney either, they're another recent acquisition. Doesn't bother me.

But then you have good ole' Donald as the atrium figurehead. I also saw Goofy everywhere. I love Goofy.

I love that they named a fancy restaurant after Remy though.

AquaDame
02-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Like others have said, Pixar = Disney now. John Lasseter is now CCO for the Disney company and his films have been a huge lifeline to Disney animation. As with "classic" films there are some pixar creations that are not on the ship. I honestly think the Imagineers picked themes without prejudice in designing functions on the ship. the Little Mermaid was already featured heavily on the Wonder, so they picked Finding Nemo for a cute water theme splash area and Donald's nephews captain the other splash area. Cabanas is wonderfully beachy as well, again I can't think of a beach theme in another classic movie... Andy's playroom makes total sense as well for kids playing, Monsters Inc was an oddball though I'll give you that.

They hold more sway with younger kids too - its just what has come out that's been popular and fun. They have not lost their magic since they came out either so to speak, so Disney feels they are safe enough to incorporate into their ships. I don't feel like they are overshadowing the classic feel of the ships either - Donald, Mickey and Minnie still rule the Atriums, the hallways and the outside of the ship after all, and for everywhere else Pizar does appear ts a nice 50/50. I bet the older ships would have had some elements as well if they had owned the name back then. Pixar makes great stuff! :)

fivebyfive
02-15-2012, 01:54 PM
It's Disney Cruise Line not Mickey Cruise Line.

Last time, I checked; Pixar was owned by Disney. They also theme heavily on Jack Sparrow and Pirates of the Caribbean, but that's not 'classic' nor 'Pixar'. Again; Disney Cruise Line. :)

zealandsmom
02-15-2012, 02:12 PM
And may I ask WHY Finding Nemo??

When they didn't even bother doing a 2nd film on it??

I wanna say ALMOST every movie has at least a straight to DVD 2nd movie!

Anyone know why?

mesaboy2
02-15-2012, 02:20 PM
And may I ask WHY Finding Nemo??

When they didn't even bother doing a 2nd film on it??

I wanna say ALMOST every movie has at least a straight to DVD 2nd movie!

Anyone know why?

Is your question why Finding Nemo is on the ship at all? Um, because it's very popular as already stated. Takes place in the ocean too, kind of like a cruise.

And just because a movie doesn't have a sequel doesn't mean it isn't popular. Not every movie needs sequels to drive it into the ground. Have you seen some of those DVD sequels?

carmie3377
02-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Dh and I were looking at pics of the Fantasy last night and he made the comment "Did they theme it after Pixar?" That wasn't a complaint though as we LOVE the Pixar movies And after all Pixar is a part of Disney so it fits very well. :-)

Florida Dreamin'
02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
There's still a Mickey head on the funnel, not a Luxo Jr.

jrm11697
02-15-2012, 03:26 PM
I like both but prefer classic disney slightly because i grew up with it. Not saying pixar is bad. Nemo and TS are my favorite pixar movies!!

From pictures, looks like there is a fair mix of classic disney and newer disney (pixar)

Also, didn't Pixar and Disney have some disagreement about copyright (or something like that) a few years back?

miztressuz
02-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Just off the top of my head, here's what I came up with.

Classic characters featured in: Aquaduck, pools, midship detective, back of ship, atrium statue, and stage shows(the TS musical is on one of the classic boats, right ?)

Pixar nods in: food court, nemo's reef, Remy, and animator's palette

Seems like a mix to me. :confused3

i have to agree. i found a very even mix between 'old' and 'new'. the kids clubs seem to be more geared towards the pixar movies but that's what kids enjoy. but there's still the 'Disney' stuff in the activities (princesses, tinkerbell/peterpan, etc) from the brief look i took of the navigators

Looking at the Dream and Fantasy specifically, the "star" of those ships is the AquaDuck and AquaLabs on Fantasy = Donald Duck and the Duck clan. Goofy sports deck = Goofy and Max. It's Donald and Mickey pools. Minnie and Donald are the atrium statues. Except for the one show in Animators Palette, all the MDR's are themed based off classic movies. If you think about it, there are way more nods to the classic stuff than Pixar. Pixar has Nemo's reef, Remy, and Turtle Talk with Crush in Animators Palette - from what I can think of off the top of my head from our Dream trip.

So for this comment:
I am just wondering why all the new areas on the ship from the play lands to dining have Pixar all over them

because they're New. Disney is incorporating the popular characters/themes that are new since the other ships were released. The 2 year old in Nemo's Reef is more likely to have watched Finding Nemo than Little Mermaid. Makes sense to theme it that way. All the kids I know under 10 are into Cars and Toy Story. They still know and love the classic characters but much prefer playing with cars and Space Ranger toys. So it makes sense to update the kids clubs with those themes. What new 'Disney' movies have there been that have the same popularity or staying power? (as someone else pointed out, Toy Story is older than the kids who love it)

So at first blush it might seem like Pixar took over.... but if you think about it, it's really still a small percentage of the overall ship area and the big features are still classic in nature (AquaDuck, pools, MDRs, shows, MidShip Detective/Muppets Adventure) In fact the new show they added to Fantasy is Aladdin. Since you don't redecorate a ship on the the same frequency as your living room - the main areas are themed with the tried and true.

ETA: I hope I don't sound like I'm flaming or anything. I thought about it and just couldn't see what the OP saw... I could be missing something obvious... so I just thought I'd share how I saw it from my experience on the Dream and my research on the Fantasy.

CMJeanae
02-15-2012, 05:12 PM
I can only speak to the stores, but Cars and Toy Story make up a HUGE portion of items sold. The fab four are regaining popularity with the youngest set due to Mickey's Clubhouse but that hasn't translated up too well. If a guest buys a Mickey plush then they're either under 5 or over 15. Those in between are going either for Pixar stuff (especially TS or Cars) or princesses with the rare Tink thrown in. It's what the kids grew up with and what they know. It's why Wonder got Triton's and not, say, Toad's Hall or Cinderella's Court. In another ten years the then-new ships will reflect whatever movies are out at that point. Perhaps a Monsters Inc University kids' club, an Ice Queen's fine dining, or whatever movies follow those. Just so long as they leave Avatar in the parks. :)

BeeTeacher
02-15-2012, 05:33 PM
I think it makes sense that the newer ships would have more features from the newer movies. You would not want the ships to all have the same theming, because what would be the reason to 'check out the new ship' if it was identical to the old?

I was actually wishing for more pixar theming as I love the pixar movies. I don't recall seeing much Pixar in the shows--HOPPER is one of the best Disney Villians, IMHO. I would find him a much better host than the Hercules guy (I have only seen Hercules once, and didn't "get" the show as a result, sorry).

Nemo characters make perfect sense for the splash zone, and the classic characters are all over deck 11, so I think its a good mix. Flo's cafe is Pixar, but it "works" with the different styles--Luigi's pizza, Fillmore's Favorites, etc.

I still don't think of the Muppets when I think of Disney...and Duffy, what is that all about anyhow? Will we see DUFFY'S DINING? Lol!

Re: Sequels--I think some sequels work (Toy Story they just get better!) and some Don't (Lady and the Tramp anyone?). But imho, the best stories just don't need a sequel. A BUGS LIFE is one of my favorites, and there are lots of places one could take those characters, but I am glad they have not done that so far. I didn't see FLICK anywhere.

Also agree with another poster who suggested its about what the kids are into. At MK, my kids totally do not "get" the Swiss Family Tree House. I'm amazed every time we go that they have not re-themed this with a Tarzan theme. I'm 45 and I can't think of many younger than me who would know who the Robinson's are.

miztressuz
02-15-2012, 05:46 PM
I still don't think of the Muppets when I think of Disney...and Duffy, what is that all about anyhow? Will we see DUFFY'S DINING? Lol!

True, I only connect the Muppets with Disney because of the MuppetVision 3D in Hollywood Studios. Because of that partnership it's not a horrible leap anymore now that they bought the rights to that franchise. (which actually wasn't that bad a decision, i can see the Muppets fitting in with the Disney image for the most part. Better than the Power Rangers....)

mmouse37
02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
I think it makes sense that the newer ships would have more features from the newer movies. You would not want the ships to all have the same theming, because what would be the reason to 'check out the new ship' if it was identical to the old?

I was actually wishing for more pixar theming as I love the pixar movies. I don't recall seeing much Pixar in the shows--HOPPER is one of the best Disney Villians, IMHO. I would find him a much better host than the Hercules guy (I have only seen Hercules once, and didn't "get" the show as a result, sorry).

Nemo characters make perfect sense for the splash zone, and the classic characters are all over deck 11, so I think its a good mix. Flo's cafe is Pixar, but it "works" with the different styles--Luigi's pizza, Fillmore's Favorites, etc.

Re: Sequels--I think some sequels work (Toy Story they just get better!) and some Don't (Lady and the Tramp anyone?). But imho, the best stories just don't need a sequel. A BUGS LIFE is one of my favorites, and there are lots of places one could take those characters, but I am glad they have not done that so far. I didn't see FLICK anywhere.

Also agree with another poster who suggested its about what the kids are into. At MK, my kids totally do not "get" the Swiss Family Tree House. I'm amazed every time we go that they have not re-themed this with a Tarzan theme. I'm 45 and I can't think of many younger than me who would know who the Robinson's are.

My DD is best friends with the "voice" of Dot!!

MJ

pixarmom
02-15-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm OK with it. :)

extechie rbd/wdt
02-15-2012, 06:50 PM
If your going to sell something, your need to make it as appealing as possible to the customer base your targeting.

Young kid's, Mickey and Co. AND Pixar characters.

Make's total business sense to me.
Whilst some may think some of the attraction's, decor and theming isn't true old school Disney, it make's no sense to alienate a demographic of Guest's that have and are growing up with subsidiary characters.
Personally I think of Pixar being Disney now.
The Muppet's...... hmmmmm. That may take some time, but I see them as just another great addition and only add and complement to the overall experience without detracting from the Big M and Pal's at all.

JMO.

Ex Techie :)

Florida Dreamin'
02-15-2012, 06:53 PM
My DD is best friends with the "voice" of Dot!!

MJ

Your daughter is friends with Hayden Panettiere? Lucky girl. :)

toontoy
02-15-2012, 07:58 PM
I think its great to read everyone's perspective on this subject. Its interesting to read and I guess I am a bit old school when it comes to some things. I still like classic Disneyworld too, and it drives some of my family crazy

One thing my wife said as we were reading it a few min ago was, what about Marvel.

I am a huge Marvel fan and was disappointed when it was purchased by Disney. Main reason is its not too kid friendly and the best characters are already owned by movie other studios.

What do you think about Spiderman on the Dream?

What are your thoughts. I believe it would be out of place but being the devils advocate here with how Pixar was blended in what about Marvel in say 5-10 years or now.

I am being purely speculative and not trying to have a dispute or anything just curious

mmouse37
02-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Your daughter is friends with Hayden Panettiere? Lucky girl. :)

Yep! Hayden's pretty lucky too!!

MJ

lbgraves
02-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Pixar I get. The muppets not so much. I don't care that Disney now owns them. They just don't say Disney when I see them. We were looking forward to the detective thing onboard the Fantasy until we heard it would be with the muppets.

miztressuz
02-16-2012, 09:44 AM
I think its great to read everyone's perspective on this subject. Its interesting to read and I guess I am a bit old school when it comes to some things. I still like classic Disneyworld too, and it drives some of my family crazy

One thing my wife said as we were reading it a few min ago was, what about Marvel.

I am a huge Marvel fan and was disappointed when it was purchased by Disney. Main reason is its not too kid friendly and the best characters are already owned by movie other studios.

What do you think about Spiderman on the Dream?

What are your thoughts. I believe it would be out of place but being the devils advocate here with how Pixar was blended in what about Marvel in say 5-10 years or now.

I am being purely speculative and not trying to have a dispute or anything just curious

i never understood the Marvel deal. well i understand it from the business perspective, but the brand perspective.... it'll take a long while to associate those two. Marvel was a better fit for Universal. Just like Avatar for Animal Kingdom? I would have never thought about that - although still probably a better fit than Marvel. I guess I could see Spiderman in the older kid's clubs, but I can't imagine any of the Marvel stuff would headline.

I always loved the Muppets and since they remind you of children things (Sesame Street, stuffed animals, dolls, etc) that seemed like a better fit. The Muppets, to me, were designed for all ages so I can see that fit with Disney since their movies/shows usually have something for the parents and kids. And since they've had a presence in MGM (now Hollywood Studios) for 20 some years, the meshes better in my head. Marvel was pure money move - to me.

carmie3377
02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Yep! Hayden's pretty lucky too!!

MJ

We were just introduced to the Heros series when we were given box sets at Christmas. My DD 12 LOVES that show and begs to watch it on the weekends. I hesitate cause she'll be glued to the TV all day, lol. Anyway, sure wish it extended past 4 seasons.

Buckeye218
02-16-2012, 01:24 PM
I just got out of a reeeaaaallly b-o-r-i-n-g one-hour meeting. It was putting me to sleep...anyway to pass the time, I started thinking how incredibly awesome a Pixar Cruise ship would be.

Here were some of my stream-of-consciousness ideas:

Formal restaurants:

Wheelwell
Paradise Falls
Harryhausens (+ sushi bar?)
Nemo's (underwater theme)

Buffet Restaurant:

Radiator Springs

Lounges:

Nomanisan Island
Scarefloor (more fun than laugh floor)
Spirit of Adventure (kind of like the old Adventurer’s club from Downtown Disney)

Pool:

Aquarium (from the dentist’s office)

Kid’s Splash Area:

Mr. Ray’s Reef

Nursery:

Boo’s Room

Kid's Areas:

They've already used Andy's Bedroom and a Buzz Lightyear space theme, so I guess they could do something w/ Woody and Jessie in their Wild West setting.

Arcade:

Pizza Planet...yes I know, they already have this at DHS, but it is really lame. I mean the real Pizza Planet with the robot guards and better games.

And for the crowning achievement of my semi-lucid doodling:

If they want to copy the Aquaduck slide, they could make it the EAC!!!

I know I don't have some movies represented like Ratatouille, Wall-E or Bug's Life, but it's a start. And I didn't even start to consider characters from any of the Pixar shorts yet!