PDA

View Full Version : Dream Medical Facilities in case of food allergy reaction...

Momoftwotx
02-15-2012, 12:26 AM
We went on DCL in 2004 and they were extremely careful with our son's nut allergy (servers remembered at every meal, kids club had in their system, etc..), and everything went smoothly. Our son is older now, but had an anaphylactic reaction recently due to cross-contamination and it was an accidental ingesiton of the nuts. After administering the EpiPen, we of course had to get to an ER for further treatment, and I'm now wondering what the facilities are on the cruise ship. I know they have a physician, but do they have capability of starting an IV, administering further treatment, handling severe anaphylaxis, etc.....? I'm nervous in case this happens again & we are on a ship w/ no access to a hospital. We have EpiPens, but they only last 20-30 minutes.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-15-2012, 01:34 AM
All of the DCL ship's have stretcher team's, qualified and certified nurses and doctors aboard with adrenaline and antihistamine medication, along with medical ventilator's and respiratory aid's should they become necessary. They are trained in everything from noro symptom's and a sprained ankle to a trach procedure, dealing with a heart attack or stroke and everything in between.

Having been around when someone had severe anaphylaxis due to a nut allergy from eating food bought ashore and witnessing everything from 2 epipen's being administered, making the "Bright Star" call to the bridge myself, the stretcher team arriving with the nurse (3-4 minutes later and at night), and then the transit to the MC and the treatment afterwards, your son is in good hand's with trained personnel.

Ex Techie :)

lilpooh108
02-15-2012, 10:45 AM
We went on DCL in 2004 and they were extremely careful with our son's nut allergy (servers remembered at every meal, kids club had in their system, etc..), and everything went smoothly. Our son is older now, but had an anaphylactic reaction recently due to cross-contamination and it was an accidental ingesiton of the nuts. After administering the EpiPen, we of course had to get to an ER for further treatment, and I'm now wondering what the facilities are on the cruise ship. I know they have a physician, but do they have capability of starting an IV, administering further treatment, handling severe anaphylaxis, etc.....? I'm nervous in case this happens again & we are on a ship w/ no access to a hospital. We have EpiPens, but they only last 20-30 minutes.

The previous PP answered your question about the medical team...but I do have a comment about the Dream's handling of allergies.

Overall, I thought that our Wonder server team did a much better job handling allergies than the Dream server team (we cruised twice on the Dream).

When we cruised in May 2011 (Dream), we were told that DD could eat certain things in Cabanas prepared in the back.

When we cruised in Oct 2011 (Dream), the Cabanas chef refused to prepare her the same things we were previously told she could have because they were now uncertain whether she could have them (the exact same items). The Cabanas chef called downstairs to one of the main dining room chefs and it took about 45 minutes before she was brought any food and it was completely different than what she was allowed to eat on our 1st cruise. It seems that they have either recently changed their supplier and/or some of the food ingredients are different, or the protocol is now different. Either way, we lost confidence in the process and stuck to boiled chicken, veggies and fries for her for 3 days.

Also in May 2011, DD was allowed to eat at Flo's (allergy chix tenders). In Oct 2011, they did not have these and did not offer them. The chef at Flo's in Oct also mentioned that he wasn't allowed to serve allergy items even though he was the same chef that served us allergy items in May.

I couldn't tell if DCL changed their policy, was too "lax" in May (which worries me about what she actually ate) or if the food supplier/food contents had changed.

Just a word of caution to be extra careful, since some of the food DD could eat before they've now realized that she can't eat after all.

DD has nut, dairy protein and egg allergies.

YMMV.

Momoftwotx
02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Thank you both for the info!

Ex Techie- your details of how they handled the situation put my mind totally at peace..... Appreciate it :goodvibes

kcashner
02-15-2012, 05:38 PM
In fairness, I've never been in the medical facility on the Dream. I toured it on the Magic many years ago, and also experienced it as "mom of patient" recently. The tour was a special (unofficial) thing--I'm a physician and was invited by the ship's doctor.

The ship is better equipped than some small hospital ICUs that I've seen. They have an area that is basically a doctor's office and an area that is essentially an ICU. They can start IVs, take X-rays, etc. No problem. What they are NOT equipped to do is any long term care--they just don't have the staff. They are quite able to stabilize and transport patients. They can maintain an ICU level of care for "as long as needed" but not a minute more. One doc and 2-3 nurses just can't keep up that pace long term, and certainly can't care for other guests/CMs at the same time.