PDA

View Full Version : Land and Sea package and is it worth it?

Trollingforthimbles
02-14-2012, 09:04 PM
I'm so new to this cruise idea. I heard something about a land and sea package Disney does. Does anyone know anything about that?

Also, my friend and travel buddy is considering doing the Carnival Cruise because of the price difference. I'm a hardcore DISer and need some reason to justify the price difference. Help me fellow Disfanatics!

sissy_ib
02-14-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm so new to this cruise idea. I heard something about a land and sea package Disney does. Does anyone know anything about that?

Also, my friend and travel buddy is considering doing the Carnival Cruise because of the price difference. I'm a hardcore DISer and need some reason to justify the price difference. Help me fellow Disfanatics!

Are you talking about a WDW land sea package? You can book WDW through DCL but it is usually better to do it on your own and look for discounts. It's not really a package.

As far as Carnival being cheaper, you get what you pay for. I have never sailed Carnival and never will due to their reputation. Who is in your travel party?

mytripsandraces
02-14-2012, 09:50 PM

DCL dropped the Land and Sea packages a couple of years ago. We were planning to book one for our 2010 family reunion cruise, but they were no longer available. You can book hotel rooms, etc., though DCL, but you might want to check on rates (or have your TA do it) for booking it separately or through DCL.

ravensilverlight
02-15-2012, 04:33 AM
DCL dropped the Land and Sea packages a couple of years ago. We were planning to book one for our 2010 family reunion cruise, but they were no longer available. You can book hotel rooms, etc., though DCL, but you might want to check on rates (or have your TA do it) for booking it separately or through DCL.

:thumbsup2 Unfortunately, this is true - I did the land and sea package twice, and it was super easy for a cruise newbie and WDW first-timer. But the good news is, that PP is correct - booking separately (either by yourself or through your TA) is usually going to get you a better rate than booking pre- or post-cruise stays through DCL. :woohoo:

Plus, you now have the advantage of choosing exactly what room type you want on the ship and at the resort - which you couldn't do with the land/sea pkg. You picked your stateroom category, and then you had your choice of 2-3 resorts that "matched" that category. So if you booked a cheap room on the ship (like I usually do - ANY room is a good room as long as it's on the ship!!!) you really couldn't "splurge" on the land part and get a deluxe resort if you wanted to...now you can! :cool1: Or vice versa, if you want to do a value resort and then splurge on a concierge cabin...mix and match to get exactly what you want!!!:wizard:

Another good part is that you can make the vacation longer. The land and sea packages were only 7 days total - 3 or 4 days at WDW and 3 or 4 days on the ship. Neither part was really long enough! We had a great time, don't get me wrong - but one day at each park just wasn't enough to really slow down and enjoy, and now that we've been on longer cruises since that first 3 day...well, there's just so much to savor about cruising, and 3/4 days (particularly with 2 of them being in ports!) just doesn't give you enough time to do that, IMHO. So now you can spend longer in the World if you want to, longer on the ship if you want to. Tailor your trip to what you enjoy!:banana:

Regardless, I think a land and sea vacation is fun - but do the land part first. That way you can spend the cruise letting your legs rest after running around the parks!

Okay...Carnival. DH and I took our first cruise not quite 4 years ago, on the Wonder, as part of a land and sea vacation. We decided we love cruising!!! :love: And now we're addicts. So we branched out from DCL. Our first "other" line was Carnival. Frankly, it just wasn't our cup of tea at all. :headache: As a disclaimer, we do have friends who cruise Carnival regularly and love it (although they've never tried anything else...if all you've ever had is powdered milk, you can't say it's better than fresh, IMHO...but that's another argument). So people's tastes definitely differ. Will I cruise Carnival again? Probably, as the price point and departure port close to home make them a very easy line for DH and I to consider. But it'll be more of a "let's take a quick cruise" trip than a "vacation to look forward to all year". I'm not going to get into the details or bash Carnival, but we now agree that cruising with them just requires a different mindset than cruising with Disney.

We were just talking the other day about Carnival vs. Disney, in fact. And I will share with you the #1 thing that we realized was different. The people. On all of our Disney cruises, we come back and show off pictures and tell stories about the ports, the excursions, the food, the shows, and the staff. On our other cruises, we realized we never tell stories or have pictures of our waiters or stateroom attendants. Sure, I can remember their names if I really think about it...but it never occurs to me to take pictures with them or tell stories about them (except the one time our server and assistant server argued with each other in the middle of the dining room all week, culminating in, one night, fighting so long that by the time my lava cake arrived it was cooked through and was topped with completely melted ice cream...:mad:).

When we get back from a Disney cruise, we talk about how the head server recognized us in the airport and chatted with us before our respective flights home; how a server from 3 tables over noticed how our table of adults was fascinated with his magic tricks for the kids, and came over to show us as well; how our server and assistant server chirped like birds to let each other know they were coming by with trays so they didn't bump into each other; how our stateroom attendant saw the bottle of bubbly we'd brought on board for our NYE cruise and brought us a bucket of ice and two wine glasses without us even asking her. We talk about how everyone on board went that extra mile for us...even when things went wrong (cancelled excursions due to weather, small plumbing issue in our bathroom floor drain, etc.). We even laugh about the fact that our stateroom attendant on our last DCL cruise, when we complimented her and told her she was the best we'd ever had, not just on DCL but on any line, blushed and started making excuses for the other hosts we've had over the years! :lmao:

It's not that the staff on other lines have been rude to us, it's just that we don't get the same connection with them. We really feel that when we get on a Disney ship, we're not just going away, we're coming to another home. That's what makes it worth the extra to us. It's impossible to explain to someone who hasn't had the same experience, and everyone may not feel that way about Disney cruises...but when you find that "fit" for you, it's worth it - no justification needed.

TDC Nala
02-15-2012, 07:40 AM
I'd never suggest booking the land stay through DCL.

If you book the land stay directly through CRO then you can be eligible for discounts and the dining plan if you want it. Plus you have a lot more options as to type of resort or length of stay available to you. And you can still get transfers from the resort to the ship (or the opposite way if it's a post-stay)

mytripsandraces
02-15-2012, 08:22 AM
I'd never suggest booking the land stay through DCL.

I think this is generally true, but our cruise was in mid-December and the hotel rates were cheaper through DCL than they were separately. I don't know if there's a big difference at other times of year, so it's probably a good idea to check both and see where you get the best deal.

NancyIL
02-15-2012, 08:28 AM

Which Carnival and Disney ships are you considering? My family considers me a Disney "fanatic" - although I prefer to get my Disney fix at the theme parks. I enjoyed my 3 Disney Bahamas cruises, and am looking forward to 2 more cruises on DCL. I also enjoyed my 17 non-Disney cruises on 4 other cruise lines as much. I don't get the same "I am home" feeling about DCL as ravensilverlight, but that might be because my Disney cruises have been only 4 nights long.

I would not rule out Carnival (or any other cruise line) simply because of their reputation without doing my own research.

TDC Nala
02-15-2012, 09:59 AM
I think this is generally true, but our cruise was in mid-December and the hotel rates were cheaper through DCL than they were separately. I don't know if there's a big difference at other times of year, so it's probably a good idea to check both and see where you get the best deal.

That's probably true in some circumstances. Most of my stays are DVC but for those that are not, I'm an annual passholder and could get good rates for most times anyway. So I never check through DCL. But others' mileage may vary.

kcashner
02-15-2012, 10:14 AM
As above, DCL eliminate the land/sea packages several years ago. They were quite restrictive and most people were not sticking to them. You can still do a land "add on" thru DCL, but it is generally much less costly to do the bookings separately. Any good TA who knows Disney can put them together for you!

The advantage of booking separately is that you can take advantage of any special that DCL might offer as well as any "deal" that you qualify for at WDW. This can include things like Kids Sail Free, Free Dining (WDW), etc. You also preserve your transportation options for each part of the trip. The only downside is that you'll want to insure the trip privately as DCL insurance will cover only what was booked thru them.

Most of the time, the pricing is much better NOT booking the land thru DCL. If you book thru them, they will add a "rack rate" hotel room--no specials.