PDA

View Full Version : What do you pack in your carry on??

devonsmommy
02-14-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm working on my packing list!
I would love to hear what you pack in your carry on. I want to make sure I don't forget anything.

THANKS!

SallySkelington
02-14-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm working on my packing list!
I would love to hear what you pack in your carry on. I want to make sure I don't forget anything.

THANKS!

This is what the Dis suggests. I do have to say that I will be carrying on most of it. :surfweb:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-cruise-line/packing.htm#carryonlist

kcashner
02-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Documents, medications, electronics. From there, it depends--are you taking this carry on on a plane and then onto the ship or is this going from WDW to the ship? If you the plane--snacks, stuff to occupy kids, emergency numbers/ TA number. Then you get to "maybes." Bathing suits? Clean undies?

Bottom line--anything you will need from the time you leave wherever that morning till 5 pm.

chiamarie
02-14-2012, 05:47 PM
One word.

Booze.

sissy_ib
02-14-2012, 05:54 PM
My purse with all our documents and a tote bag with a few bottles of wine. DH carried some beer and his lap top. If you are going swimming bring something to change in to. If you take any medications carry those.

devonsmommy
02-14-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks for that list.
I don't know how I missed it.

We'll be coming from WDW to the ship. We have early dinner though at 5:45 p.m. So I'm hoping our luggage is there by then! But just in case I'll be packing "dinner" clothes and we'll be wearing our swimsuits.

OKW Lover
02-14-2012, 06:01 PM
In our carryon:
Medications
Electronics & jewelry
a bottle or two of wine to have in the stateroom

Momma2Jax
02-14-2012, 06:11 PM
From what I've seen, (and we are driving to port) we are going to carry our wallets, documents, medications (which for DS will require a whole tote bag) and possibly a change of clothes for dinner, since we have the main seating, and I would rather be sure we will be able to change and get ready in time.

We are not going to worry about trying to swim at that time.

Tink rules
02-14-2012, 07:25 PM
My teddy bear... :goodvibes

pjmjsj
02-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Here's a dumb question- we have early seating too- if we pack our dinner clothes in the carry on- won't they look terrible by the time dinner rolls around- there are 4 of us. won't it be all wrinkled?

Tink rules
02-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Not sure about the Dream... but the Magic had an iron in the laundry rooms.

The first night is ALWAYS cruise casual. Keep it easy and you'll be fine!

sissy_ib
02-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Here's a dumb question- we have early seating too- if we pack our dinner clothes in the carry on- won't they look terrible by the time dinner rolls around- there are 4 of us. won't it be all wrinkled?

That depends on what you pack and how you pack. I have many dresses that you could crumple in a ball and they will look fine when you pick them up. If you get a small duffel bag you can pack very carefully for clothing that will wrinkle.

mickey2000
02-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Documents, medications, electronics. From there, it depends--are you taking this carry on on a plane and then onto the ship or is this going from WDW to the ship? If you the plane--snacks, stuff to occupy kids, emergency numbers/ TA number. Then you get to "maybes." Bathing suits? Clean undies?

Bottom line--anything you will need from the time you leave wherever that morning till 5 pm.

Sounds like one of my carry ons. My second one is a case of water !:)

ilovetexas
02-15-2012, 12:04 AM
The link that SallySkelington posted covered most of it. But, they forgot the alcohol. ;)

CMJeanae
02-15-2012, 12:30 AM

Not dumb at all! I wear a nice but comfy bottom (usually a denim or khaki skirt) and nice sandals that can go to dinner and throw a nicer knit shirt into my carry on. Guys can toss in a polo and, if they're in shorts, a nice pair of jeans or khakis, folded fairly carefully. Same with kids. If anything does look a little worse for wear you can iron them or try the trick of sticking them in the bathroom with the shower on for a bit. It never works for me but some people swear by it. Personally I swear by an off-brand wrinkle remover I picked up at Joann's (of all places.) It's small enough to fly with and really works. Not sure how, but it does. You could make your own with a big bottle of wrinkle remover and a little spray bottle from a drug store. Just give it time to dry! Probably while you're up enjoying the pool. :)

What's in my carryon?
- Wallet and keys
- Phone
- Suntan lotion (for the deck!)
- Shirt for dinner
- Extra undies in case suitcase is delayed (never happened, just in case)
- contact case and toothbrush for same reason
- Hairbrush
- Sunglasses
- Camera

That's it! Keep it simple.

Momma2Jax
02-15-2012, 01:08 AM
That's what I was thinking as far as extra clothes in case we don't get luggage in time to get ready for dinner, too. I will probably wear a nice pair of capris (black or khaki) to board, then pack a cardigan or other light sweater or blouse to throw on for dinner. I will probably also throw my small makeup bag in there, to freshen up for dinner. ::yes::

SallySkelington
02-15-2012, 11:29 AM
One word.

Booze.

:lmao:

My teddy bear... :goodvibes

I'm packing my stuffed cow, Mooey. He's my buddy and trip mascot. :lovestruc

Anal Annie
02-15-2012, 11:49 AM
In addition to our cruise docs & passports I would carry any RX or OTC meds and our toiletry products (toothbrushes etc). Just in case one of our checked bags gets lost I would also pack at least 3 or 4 days worth of clothes to include 1 neutral bottom (such as dressy black capris for myself and dockers for DH & DS) plus 2 nicer tops for dinners that could go with the bottoms, 2 sets of shorts & 3 or 4 casual tops for daytime, 1 set of PJ's, 1 bathing suit (and a coverup for myself) along with a spare pair of shoes or sandals for each of us. This way if a bag is lost we can always do some mixing & matching or laundry if necessary to get by. I would try to get all of this stuff into 2 of our carry-ons and would use a 3rd for beer & water. Oh, and don't forget the Downey Wrinkle Release & Clorox wipes.:thumbsup2

Patrickprincess
02-15-2012, 12:49 PM
In addition to our cruise docs & passports I would carry any RX or OTC meds and our toiletry products (toothbrushes etc). Just in case one of our checked bags gets lost I would also pack at least 3 or 4 days worth of clothes to include 1 neutral bottom (such as dressy black capris for myself and dockers for DH & DS) plus 2 nicer tops for dinners that could go with the bottoms, 2 sets of shorts & 3 or 4 casual tops for daytime, 1 set of PJ's, 1 bathing suit (and a coverup for myself) along with a spare pair of shoes or sandals for each of us. This way if a bag is lost we can always do some mixing & matching or laundry if necessary to get by. I would try to get all of this stuff into 2 of our carry-ons and would use a 3rd for beer & water. Oh, and don't forget the Downey Wrinkle Release & Clorox wipes.:thumbsup2

I will be packing my dinner clothes and tolities. Also my travel buddies,My plush Beast and Belle dolls.

mdvlprof
02-15-2012, 12:58 PM
In our carryon:
Medications
Electronics & jewelry
a bottle or two of wine to have in the stateroom

Add a clean shirt and clean undies - that's what I put in my back-pack.
Luggage can be late, or lost, so I like to have a clean shirt. I figure I can wear pants again if need be.

Things like cell phone, passports, cruise documents, go in my purse [which I don't think of as a carry-on.]

Momma2Jax
02-15-2012, 01:33 PM

I saw someone posted a tip about spreading everyone's clothes and personal items between all the suitcases, just in case one gets lost, left, or takes a while to get to you :thumbsup2

sweetmonkey
02-15-2012, 02:28 PM
We are probably only taking carry on luggage... DH and I did a 5 night last may and I still did not wear everything I took.

That being said, if we are not flying I might consider taking an extra bag or checking a couple of the bags in at the ship. I plan to wear my swimsuit on with a dress or shirt/pants over it.

I will definitely have:
make-up/toiletries
neutral bottoms
tank
button up/or over shirt
dress
extra sandals or all purpose slip ons (opposite of whatever I am wearing)
under garments
meds/vitamins
other things- ducktape and painter's tape (rolled around a straw), small flashlight, sewing kit, etc

Important documents.

If there is room, I will add my magnets so the kids can start in decorating the door. I bet between the four of us, we have plenty of room. :)

Foz
02-15-2012, 05:22 PM
What I forgot to pack in my carry-on ...

My sanity/common sense ... :lmao:

What I needed ...

Hermione Granger's endless bag ... :rotfl:

What I had instead ...

iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Bose QC 3 headphones, Panasonic Earbuds, Kindle, Digital Camera, Jawbone JAMBOX, mophie juice pack powerstation ... PLUS cables AND chargers and so forth
:scared1:

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

BeeTeacher
02-15-2012, 05:51 PM

Our luggage was at our room when we went up at 1:30, but I didnt end up changing.

So you could just wear to dinner what you wear to embarkation. I wore white capris, a nice casual printed top, and sandals. I'd call it cruise casual, so it was appropriate and comfortable, and it saved time changing/ironing/etc.

There IS an iron in the laundry rooms on the Dream. We didn't use it but saw others doing so. We brought the wrinkle release spray to avoid the need to iron!

TnRobin
02-15-2012, 06:23 PM
I am a minimalist. I pack my documents and a bottle of aspirin and a packet of bonine. I also carryon my electronics if I bring any - Nook, DS, etc. DH usually throws in a magazine to read. That's it for the 3 of us.

I don't like keeping track of anything that I don't have too.

My plan is to eat lunch and find a nice lounge chair until we can go to our stateroom.

Disney Dreams
02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
cruise documents
hotel confirmation (night before cruise)
flight confirmation (if applicable)
medications
small set of DH's medications in case something happens to his carryon
a couple of pens
jewelry/valuables
pins for trading (valuable to ME :) )
camera/ batteries/etc....
ipad/charger
FE gifts if breakable
munchies for the plane
change of "unmentionables"
fresh shirt for dinner in case bag does not get to room until way late
toiletries (to freshen up before dinner in case bag does not get to room until way late)
book for plane
anything that didn't fit in suitcase that I must have

MissSlimskys
02-15-2012, 07:08 PM
booze and bathing suit.

jship210
02-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Passport!

PrincessTrisha
02-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Anything that I look at and think, "I can't replace this on my cruise and I can't/don't want to cruise without it".

My swim suit, mp3 player full of music, ereader full of books, our passports, credit cards and cash, medications (both precription and over the counter), diet pepsi and my dad's cpap machine.

I put it all into 1 rolling suitcase for the 3 of us and roll it onboard.

Im_A_Princess
02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Bathing suit & wrap, book, medications, electronics, important documents & make-up. That's about it.
In 13 DCL cruises never had luggage not show up before diner (knock on wood) but if it did not I usually wear a nice pair of capris, sandals, shirt/sweater on plane so I would be covered for dinner.
DCL is pretty cool the first night and understands bags may have not been delivered yet. Never seen them say anything to anyone the first night no matter what they have on. :thumbsup2

DisneyDee27
02-16-2012, 06:53 PM
In my carryon in no specific order:
Documents
Swimsuit
Glasses
Medications
Alcohol/wine
iPad 2
iPhone
Cords
Wallet/passport/$$$

Checked luggage has bathroom stuff/clothes/power strip and FE gifts.
Keep it simple
Deepirate:

jship210
02-20-2012, 06:43 PM
There is one thing I bring on all my vacations and trips; a GOOD flashlight. Not some AA or AAA battery light. Its either a Surefire or the new 5.11 series. 123 battery. These are not large bulky lights, they are small and discreet.

It is in my backpack, on the planes and at night it's on the bedside table. I'm never without it after dark. Everyone in the family has one when we travel as a family. Its a small thing that when needed could save your life.

See how dark that Italian Cruise Ship was? :thumbsup2

kimpossible
02-20-2012, 06:49 PM
There is one thing I bring on all my vacations and trips; a GOOD flashlight. Not some AA or AAA battery light. Its either a Surefire or the new 5.11 series. 123 battery. These are not large bulky lights, they are small and discreet.

It is in my backpack, on the planes and at night it's on the bedside table. I'm never without it after dark. Everyone in the family has one when we travel as a family. Its a small thing that when needed could save your life.

See how dark that Italian Cruise Ship was? :thumbsup2
Great idea.

Cagirl767
02-20-2012, 07:01 PM
We too distribute our luggage among each other's incase one is lost, nobody loses everything. My mother and stepfather lost all their luggage on a Mediterranean cruise and there was nothing available in the ports or on the ship (smaller cruise ship). They had no socks, no underwear, etc. :scared1:

We all carry on at the minimum 1 outfit per person, 2 socks, 2 undies. I have versatile maxi dresses I'm bringing that can be rolled up, take up minimal room, can be a beach coverup, or dressed up for dinner or dressed down for daytime, even as jammies, lol. Makeup, extra contacts, and essential toiletries definitely go with me. DH has to carry on his CPAP.

Ditto on the flashlight, make it a magnetic one to stick on the back of your cabin door. I'm looking for those to give out as FE gifts.

vleeth
02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
To all the parents out there...do you have your kids carry a bag of stuff for themselves? If so, what do they have in them? My DD will be 8 when we go.

Anal Annie
02-22-2012, 06:23 PM
To all the parents out there...do you have your kids carry a bag of stuff for themselves? If so, what do they have in them? My DD will be 8 when we go.

Yes, our DS always has. He has always brought a backpack that fits under the seat in front of him on the plane. He has all of his junk in it & I sometimes use it as overflow for a few of our things too. He brings games, used to bring the DS now it's the IPad & IPod...books etc... We all also each have our own carry-on that goes into the overhead bin too. With the luggage restrictions on planes these days I can't imagine one of us NOT having their own carry-on.

Cagirl767
02-22-2012, 08:26 PM
My kids (ages 5 and 7) will bring their own backpack. Each has at least one change of clothing, maybe two; a snack, plus anything that may ruin their trip if it was lost such as swimsuit or princess dress, stuffed animal; and the necessities such as a toothbrush, sunscreen. One will carry the IPad and the other the DVD player. Both will wear a jacket and a hat so that those won't be stuffed into the backpack.

Anal Annie
02-22-2012, 11:23 PM
In my carryon in no specific order:
Documents
Swimsuit
Glasses
Medications
Alcohol/wine
iPad 2
iPhone
Cords
Wallet/passport/$$$

Checked luggage has bathroom stuff/clothes/power strip and FE gifts.
Keep it simple
Deepirate:

We flew through Paris on our way home from Barcelona last summer and our flight home from Paris was cancelled at the gate prior to boarding. It was to have been on the gigantic Airbus A380 that holds over 500 people. They did NOT return anybody's checked luggage to them. They DID put us up in hotels over night & gave us some meal vouchers BUT I was completely shocked with how many people didn't even seem to have their toothbrushes in their carry-ons, let alone a change of clothes or clean undies! There were some pretty pissed people let me tell ya. And many had to sleep in and wear the same clothes again the next day. They were pretty rumpley looking. I packed the entire time we were in Europe with a minimum of 3 days worth of clothes for each of us in our carry-ons and boy was I glad I'd taken the time to be so organized. I also had our luggage scale and travel size power strip with us (which we really needed for our extended day / night to keep our electronics charged). You can still "keep it simple" as we were using those itty bitty 17" international size bags so space was at a premium but I did it. I will never fly anywhere again without having 2 or 3 days worth of clothing with me. You just never know when you might get stuck somewhere.

Lainey321
02-23-2012, 10:59 AM
I am planning for my dd's too each bring a small backpack on the plane so they will carry it on.

So far, I'm thinking:
My 13 y/o: iPod, cell phone (chargers), glasses/contacts, sunglasses, swimsuit, undies,
My 9 y/o: Nintendo DS with games, "puppy: (who goes everywhere with us :lmao:), swimsuit, undies, sunglasses, door magnets (thinking of having a small, simple kit for her to make one or two on the plane)
mine & dh's: meds, documents, glasses, swimsuits, undies, my makeup, hairbrush

MoranClan
02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
My personal carry on, I bring the Wine, my Ipad and or Laptop, a bathing suit and clean cloth's for dinner in case the luggage does not make the room, we always get main seating for dinner.

My wife brings all the important paperwork, her bathing suit, clean cloths for dinner and her personal stuff.

My 3 kids carry on whatever they can, just because they are kids, and seem to think they need everything.

My bag is the heaviest, its a pain to carry around, but I do it every cruise.

vleeth
02-24-2012, 01:05 PM
We'll be driving. So I'm thinking we'll have a "carryon" for the car trip that we leave in the car and another carryon to take on the ship. And I'll have her put her bathing suit on before we board. So I'm sure that will cut down on how much stuff she has to carry around the ship.

Other than sunscreen, her camera and a light sweater for inside, I can't think of what else she would need in her bag. Am I missing something? :teacher::confused3