PDA

View Full Version : Which Side of Ship for Alaska?

marciemouse
02-14-2012, 03:59 PM
We are considering (dreaming of) the Alaska cruise in 2013. We can't afford a verandah, but we'd get an ocean view room. Does one side of the ship offer better views than the other? Thanks!

PrincessShmoo
02-14-2012, 04:05 PM
We are considering (dreaming of) the Alaska cruise in 2013. We can't afford a verandah, but we'd get an ocean view room. Does one side of the ship offer better views than the other? Thanks!

Since it's a basically a round-trip, the views will be the same. What one side sees going out is seen on the other side coming back, and vice versa.

:cutie:

cwdefouw
02-14-2012, 04:13 PM
It really should not matter as it is an out and back itinerary. Plus many times you will be cruising through narrow channels with fantastic sights on both sides of the ship. We were on port side last summer and loved it, particularily the evening we left Juneau heading south. The ocean was flat calm and the light at sunset was just spectacular with sunbeams cutting through the clouds. Mountains and glaciers reflecting in the sea with icebergs in the distance at sunset are something I will never forget. I could not put my camera down, but the photos just don't do it justice at all.

pixarmom
02-14-2012, 07:20 PM
I'll be really interested to see the responses to this question! We're sailing on August 27 and selected a starboard side verandah room. Our reasoning is that when we first board the ship, we'll be excited to see the sights along the shore and then on the way back, we'll be exhausted and happy to just look out at the water. I don't know if that really makes any sense - this is only our second cruise and we've never been to Alaska - so I'd love to hear from experienced cruisers!

PrincessShmoo
02-14-2012, 07:59 PM
I'll be really interested to see the responses to this question! We're sailing on August 27 and selected a starboard side verandah room. Our reasoning is that when we first board the ship, we'll be excited to see the sights along the shore and then on the way back, we'll be exhausted and happy to just look out at the water. I don't know if that really makes any sense - this is only our second cruise and we've never been to Alaska - so I'd love to hear from experienced cruisers!

The major portion of the cruise you're on the inside passage, so there's land on both sides of the ship. Pretty much what you see going out the other side will see coming back and vice versa.

:cutie:

starwood
02-15-2012, 07:05 AM
We found that the starboard side was actually the better side. It seemed every time there was something of interest (whales, dolphins....) it was on the starboard side. Going through Tracy Arm the waterfalls were on the starboard side going in. On the trip out of the Arm you were too cold to watch.