PDA

View Full Version : DCL transfers and late flight home

Debers17
02-13-2012, 04:09 PM
We are using DCL transfers, however our flight home (booked on our own but is with a participating airline) isn't departing until 6:35pm. What happens with our baggage since our flight is so many hours after DCL drops us off at MCO? Will it be sent to MCO from DCL and then just sit there until our flight boards or will we have to reclaim our luggage? After being dropped off at MCO, we will be visiting with some friends during the afternoon and will return back to MCO before our flight departs. I've been curious about what happens to our luggage for those several hours after DCL has dropped them off and before our late flight departure.

Trekker
02-13-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm assuming you are using the onboard checkin for the airline - I believe this is the only way DCL will take your baggage to the airport without you.

If this is the case you will not see your luggage until you get to your home airport.

If you are not doing this the luggage will go with you on the DCL bus and you will claim it at the airport.

kcashner
02-13-2012, 04:45 PM
You need to be sure that you have signed up for onboard check in (not automatic even with a participating airline). With this, you will get your luggage tags and boarding passes in your cabin the day before departure. Place the bags outside the cabin on the last evening and don't see them again till your HOME airport. Yes, DCL will send them to MCO and you will not need to do anything.

mmouse37
02-13-2012, 04:55 PM
We are using DCL transfers, however our flight home (booked on our own but is with a participating airline) isn't departing until 6:35pm. What happens with our baggage since our flight is so many hours after DCL drops us off at MCO? Will it be sent to MCO from DCL and then just sit there until our flight boards or will we have to reclaim our luggage? After being dropped off at MCO, we will be visiting with some friends during the afternoon and will return back to MCO before our flight departs. I've been curious about what happens to our luggage for those several hours after DCL has dropped them off and before our late flight departure.

We did this in November. Our flight was not until 6:30 pm and we were taking DCL transfers with the OAC program. Put our luggage out in the hall the night before the cruise ended and did not see it again until our home airport (you do not have to claim it anywhere along the way). We just took our carryons with us to the DCL bus and were at the airport by about 10:00 am. I did not want to sit at the airport so before we left for the cruise I booked a rental car for the day (cost me $25.00). So, once we got off the DCL bus at MCO I went over to the Thrifty garage to pick up our car and we were on our way. Went to downtown Disney, went to a few WDW resorts to see the Christmas decorations, had lunch and drove back to MCO in time for our flight. Very easy and well worth the additional $25.00 for the rental car for the day. Since we did not have our luggage with us we could rent a smaller rental car. I picked Thrifty's Hot Deals and ended up with a mid-size car.

MJ

Debers17
02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
We are planning on using the on board flight check in. I'm glad I asked this question because I assumed that even if I didn't that using the DCL transfers, they would send my bags to the bus after they picked them up outside of our rooms. Thanks for the info!

GW45
02-13-2012, 06:11 PM
How much does the DCL transfer from Port Canaveral to the airport cost? We had a rental car last time we cruised from PC but were considering just using DCL buses this Summer. I'm almost sure the rep who did the hard sell talk on us when we joined DVC last year said that the DCL transfers were free for DVC members but can't see that written anywhere so assume I imagined it or the rep misled us. Either way we need to book transfers from MCO to Orlando for our few days at AKL and then from Orlando to the Port....and back again after the 7 day cruise. Suspect it would be cheaper to get a rental car each time?