PDA

View Full Version : Back to back West Coast Repo and 1st Alaskan cruise

dolphingirl47
02-13-2012, 04:06 PM
hope that somebody on here can help me. We are going on our next cruise shortly and are hoping to book some cruises for next year while we are on the ship. The cruises that we are looking at are the repositioning cruise from Los Angeles to Vancouver and the first Alaskan cruise of the season. We have never done a back to back cruise on DCL before. I know that last year quite a lot of people did those two cruises back to back. How did this work in Vancouver? Did you have to get off the ship? Were you able to leave your baggage in your cabin or with guest services or did you have to take it with you to clear customs? Were you able to get straight back on the ship or did you have to wait to check in with people who were just joining the ship in Vancouver? Any help and pointers that you can offer are greatly appreciated.

Corinna

NancyIL
02-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Never mind...wrong year!

COASTIEandMATE
02-14-2012, 07:35 AM
Yes we did the B2B last year. You do have to get off the ship for a short time, but your luggage stays on the ship. Our luggage was taken to our new stateroom and ready for us when we boarded again. Very easy, and you will love those cruises!! ALOHA, Karen and Ron

DL1957
02-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Yes we did the B2B last year. You do have to get off the ship for a short time, but your luggage stays on the ship. Our luggage was taken to our new stateroom and ready for us when we boarded again. Very easy, and you will love those cruises!! ALOHA, Karen and Ron

Hi to Ron and Karen my SF Giants - B2B friends. To add the info from Karen and Ron you should try to book the same stateroom on both cruises. DH and I did that and it was great because we didn't even need to think about things being moved. The immigration in Canada requires all the guests off the ship. You have to check in again for the next cruise but you get priority check-in and boarding no matter what CC level you are. This was an awesome trip and being a native from San Francisco now living in Virginia DH and I are still talking about sailing under the GG bridge! Would do it again in a heart beat but we are going to the Med in 2013! Enjoy your trip! Sue

clten
02-14-2012, 09:06 AM
We also did the repo and 1st Alaska b2b last year. The only thing I would add is that customs in Vancouver didn't open until 11. They moved all of us off the ship around 9:30 - so we could clear customs in that direction. So there was more time waiting around than there normally is on b2b and there's no great place to sit before going through customs. So it was a lot of standing around. Not the smoothest b2b we've ever done but we're doing it again in 2013 so it wasn't bad. Just wanted to give you a realistic picture of turnaround day in Vancouver. We were back on the ship before new passengers but not by much.

sabrecmc
02-14-2012, 09:47 AM
We did the B2B in 2011 and did get off the ship in Vancouver, but we did a DCL excursion in Vancouver. It was a city tour and visit to the suspension bridge. We had a blast! Loved the bridge, totem park, and treetop adventure thing. I'm glad we did that and didn't wait around the terminal for customs.

By the time we got back, we just boarded the ship, no worries. We did have the same stateroom (which I highly recommend), so did not have to move luggage. There was a letter left in our stateroom giving us specific instructions of how to handle the procedures as B2B guests.

dolphingirl47
02-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all your information and advice. It had not even occurred to me that they may offer excursions in Vancouver. That may well be an option for us. I have never been to Canada and I have heard that Vancouver is a beautiful city.

As to staying in the same room, I think this may be wishful thinking. I just checked the availability and for the Repo the only category 11s are 11C. They are almost always GTY. So if the availability stays as it is at the moment, we can either book an 11C for the Repo and an 11B for the Alaska cruise or go with 11C for both, but either way, we are unlikely to be in the same stateroom.

Corinna

yukongirl123
02-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Vancouver has a lot to do, I beleive the Gaslight district is within walking distance from the pier.......there is a Vancouver thread on the board somewhere.....

dolphingirl47
02-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Vancouver has a lot to do, I beleive the Gaslight district is within walking distance from the pier.......there is a Vancouver thread on the board somewhere.....

Thanks, I am going to find the tread and check it out.

Corinna