PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on the best travel insurance/agency?

colbybug
02-12-2012, 06:36 PM
We have sailed probably ten times and have never used it but life has changed a bit and now I'm more nervous. So we just booked the Fantasy for early May and the trip is expensive! Our parents health is not great, we don't have any medical insurance ourselves currently and getting the time off work is questionable. (They change their minds a lot! :sad1:). SO for the first time, we are considering travel insurance. From those of who you have experience with travel insurance, what are the best companies and basic plans to go with?

My other question is that most of the insurance policies want to know when the date of initial deposit is. I made my initial deposit in 2008 as a dummy date so that's kind of irrelevant, right?

Thanks for any advice!

Kathy

mellers
02-12-2012, 08:53 PM
We have sailed probably ten times and have never used it but life has changed a bit and now I'm more nervous. So we just booked the Fantasy for early May and the trip is expensive! Our parents health is not great, we don't have any medical insurance ourselves currently and getting the time off work is questionable. (They change their minds a lot! :sad1:). SO for the first time, we are considering travel insurance. From those of who you have experience with travel insurance, what are the best companies and basic plans to go with? Thanks for any advice!

Kathy

If you purchase within 21 days of your initial deposit, a recent poster had good luck submitting a medical claim for Travel Insured's Worldwide Trip Protector. If you buy it within 21 days, it will cover pre-existing conditions. Also, if one of the travelers is a veteran, you can get a small discount through http://www.usaa.com/ . If not, you can get it at http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ I have never needed to make a claim, but we purchased this insurance for our next cruise.

kcashner
02-12-2012, 09:28 PM
I purchase they my TA--same price as on *****************, and I'm sure they get a bit of commission. THey recommend Worldwide Trip Protector by Travel Insured International. We did make a small claim last summer and found them very easy to deal with.

quirty30
02-12-2012, 09:37 PM
And just so you know, all insurance (same carrier, plan, etc.) should be the same price, no matter who you purchase it from. Travel insurance can't be discounted, even if you purchase it directly from the carrier.

sbyrne
02-13-2012, 12:16 PM
We have sailed probably ten times and have never used it but life has changed a bit and now I'm more nervous. So we just booked the Fantasy for early May and the trip is expensive! Our parents health is not great, we don't have any medical insurance ourselves currently and getting the time off work is questionable. (They change their minds a lot! :sad1:). SO for the first time, we are considering travel insurance. From those of who you have experience with travel insurance, what are the best companies and basic plans to go with?

My other question is that most of the insurance policies want to know when the date of initial deposit is. I made my initial deposit in 2008 as a dummy date so that's kind of irrelevant, right?

Thanks for any advice!

Kathy

Hi Kathy - I would go to a comparison site and compare policies.

You will want to look for a policy that offers Cancel for Work Reason, Medical and Medical evacuation coverage. Since you are cruising, I would recommend at least $100,000 in evacuation coverage.

Do your parents have a pre-existing condition? If so, since you made your deposit back in 2008, you won't be able to get a policy with pre-existing coverage (unless you have payments left to make, CSA and HTH offer pre-existing coverage until final payment). However, since your parents have a pre-exisong condition, and not you, there are a few policies that will allow you to cancel the trip if their condition worsens.

When comparing policies, read the definition of a pre-existing condition. If it states that a pre-existing condition is an illness or injury of someone booked to travel with you, then that's the type of policies that will allow you to cancel in your situation.

lark
02-13-2012, 12:45 PM
We bought the Chartis travel guard policy. I liked it because it was the cheapest policy that had the stuff I wanted most plus cancel for work reasons. That's important to us.

colbybug
02-13-2012, 01:26 PM
So I am pretty sure that the hubby's time off work is secure. Now its just mainly, what if one of my in laws health takes a turn for the worse. My father in law is in his 90's! Then the last concern is the fact that we have no medical insurance for us in case something wierd happens. We have gone over a year without it so....so far so good! It's wierd because I have never even considered cruise insurance on any of our prior trips....now I am a nervous wreck! Maybe it's age??:confused3

Thanks again!

Kathy

DisneyOHFan
02-13-2012, 01:34 PM
One thing that came to mind when I was pricing insurance a couple of weeks ago for our Med cruise. The price may seem great with a certain company and cover everything I am looking for, but how is the insurer when it comes to paying an actual claim. So I have been trying to do some research on finding the best insurer in terms of rate and claim processing. If anyone has any insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know if we are looking to get reimbursed for expenses that we pay in the event of an emergency, I don't want an insurer that drags their feet or presents challenges in getting our money reimbursed.

DisSarahK
02-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Mellers (who responded to you up above) was a lot of help to me when I was trying to figure out cruise insurance a little while ago. It can be overwhelming!

Is USAA an option for you? I ended up calling them and going with their preferred provider (they contract out instead of insuring cruises directly) because I trust them so much--they have never done wrong by our family and I'm the third generation to insure with them. We ended up with a great policy (I think!) and it covers everything I wanted it to cover and the price is quite reasonable.