PDA

View Full Version : Card to keep light/AC on??

zealandsmom
02-08-2012, 03:13 PM
WOAH.....ya'll are holding back secrets?! I thought we were friends!:grouphug:
What is this about?

What other secrets do I need to know?

kcashner
02-08-2012, 03:24 PM
On the new ships (only) as in many European hotels, there is a card holder inside the door. A card must be inserted to keep the lights on. Any card with a magnetic stripe will work--an old KTTW card if you are a previous cruiser, a credit card (I wouldn't leave one of these!) a library card, etc. In the concierge suites, a card is provided just for this purpose.

The idea is to save energy--since you logically take your key with you when leaving the room, this forces you to turn off the lights....

If cruising with a young child, you could use their KTTW card for the lights--they won't need the card except when getting off the ship.

NAB
02-08-2012, 03:25 PM
WOAH.....ya'll are holding back secrets?! I thought we were friends!:grouphug:
What is this about?

What other secrets do I need to know?

This is only on the Dream.

And be careful which card you leave in there. Our room steward kept taking ours. We had to chase him down to get it back It was the room key from POR with hubby's name on it so he wanted it back. He had a whole stack of ohters that people must have used. :laughing:

kcashner
02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
And be careful which card you leave in there. Our room steward kept taking ours. We had to chase him down to get it back It was the room key from POR with hubby's name on it so he wanted it back. He had a whole stack of ohters that people must have used. :laughing:

WHAT??? Your room steward essentially stole your personal property out of your room???? Sorry, but that card is your property. I don't get why your room steward kept lifting it! I can understand if he was instructed to pull it out of the slot and place it on the desk/bed/or whatever...but TAKING it?????

zealandsmom
02-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Thanks...

I hadn't read this before in a pack list either! But this is good info to have!

(I'm on the Magic though!)

BeeTeacher
02-08-2012, 03:43 PM
The card controls the lights only--not the AC or the outlets. If you are charging a laptop, it will still charge, and the room will stay cool.

We used a CVS card because we had our KTTW cards in our lanyard case. When we left we took it out and placed it on the closet shelf. Then it was handy when we came back.

RedSox68
02-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Yes, we had to leave notes to our Room Steward to LEAVE OUR CARD IN PLACE because we were charging things, etc. Normally we would turn off all the lights anyway, but he has no right at all to remove your card and take it from the room! :sad2:

Mom323
02-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Yes, we had to leave notes to our Room Steward to LEAVE OUR CARD IN PLACE because we were charging things, etc. Normally we would turn off all the lights anyway, but he has no right at all to remove your card and take it from the room! :sad2:

It only affects the lights, not the plugs. You can charge things without the card in the slot. :thumbsup2

Ikaikalani
02-08-2012, 04:12 PM
WHAT??? Your room steward essentially stole your personal property out of your room???? Sorry, but that card is your property. I don't get why your room steward kept lifting it! I can understand if he was instructed to pull it out of the slot and place it on the desk/bed/or whatever...but TAKING it?????

I guess technically you could say that, but the truth is the stewards carry a stack of old KTTW cards in their pockets as they're in/out of the cabins all the time, so need them repeatedly. Stewards tend to collect old cards and carry them about for use whenever needed. Our last steward showed us his stack and they were mostly KTTW cards left behind after debarkation of previous cruisers. I can easily see how the card you leave behind can get mixed up with the stack they carry in their pockets:thumbsup2. Im sure it's not intentional, but an easy/common mistake. Lesson to be learned: I just ask our steward for an old unneeded card that we can use, this way if he mistakenly pockets it later on, it's no worries as it was his to begin with. :)

mimmi
02-08-2012, 04:27 PM
This maybe a stupid question but I've been wondering for some time now: why do you leave a card in the slot when you're not in the room? What do you need the lights for?
I can understand the need for aircondition or electricity to charge something, but lights??

By the way: it's not only common in Europe but also in Asia, and I've even been to hotels in Africa where they had these slots, I looks like it's becoming standard everywhere.
I remember when I first encountered this system, it took me quite a while to figure it out, including ahone call to the concierge (I still feel ashamed when I think of that call) and now it's basically everywhere I go, except for America.

shburks
02-08-2012, 04:54 PM
This maybe a stupid question but I've been wondering for some time now: why do you leave a card in the slot when you're not in the room? What do you need the lights for?
I can understand the need for aircondition or electricity to charge something, but lights??

I'm glad you asked this because I've actually wondered this, too!

wfbnancy
02-08-2012, 04:58 PM
I believe that it is to avoid leaving your key in the room when you leave by accident.

MinnesotaMouseketeers
02-08-2012, 05:04 PM

I too would like to know. If the switch is right inside the door when you enter (99.5% of the time they are), why leave the light on?

NAB
02-08-2012, 06:17 PM
We do not leave the lights on. They are switched off. It is when you want to use the bathroom at anytime durning the day. The switches only work if there is a card in the slot.

Our key is usually in the lanyard. Love on the Dream you don't have to take it out to open the door and just tap it to get off the ship.

DynamicDisneyDuo
02-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Doesn't have to be a card with a magstrip either...my DL worked fine.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-08-2012, 06:35 PM
ANY credit card size piece of plastic will work, or even slightly smaller as there is no part of the slot that register's anything, just a microswitch connected to a contactor that connect's the power to the lights.
There is no right way up or right side round when you put the card in.

I think some people find it hard to remember and I have locked myself out of a hotel room before when I have forgotten the room key card.

I just take along a old hotel key card/used gift card/old point's card etc and use that, then remove it enough that the light's go off/ or hear the click. Or as someone else posted below, ask your Stateroom Host for a old one to use.

It's not really a big thing to do at the end of the day! :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

Ex Techie :)

Namsupak
02-08-2012, 06:55 PM
You don't even need to remove it out of the slot completely, we just pull it up until the switch is released and the lights go off. Then when you come back push it down the inch or so again and the lights come back on.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-08-2012, 06:57 PM
You don't even need to remove it out of the slot completely, we just pull it up until the switch is released and the lights go off. Then when you come back push it down the inch or so again and the lights come back on.

:thumbsup2

No big deal! :)

NAB
02-08-2012, 06:59 PM

You don't even have to do that. Just leave it in and turn off the light switch like you would do at home. I don't leave the bathroom lights on if no one is in there while we are in the room. :confused3

extechie rbd/wdt
02-08-2012, 07:05 PM
You don't even have to do that. Just leave it in and turn off the light switch like you would do at home. I don't leave the bathroom lights on if no one is in there while we are in the room. :confused3

:thumbsup2!

You wouldn't do it at home, but unfortunately so many people do it on a cruise or vacation.
Not having to pay for the electricity I guess.
DCL wouldn't have spent the extra money to install the system over a $0.50c light switch if it wouldn't cut down on unnecessary electricity usage.

NAB
02-08-2012, 07:09 PM
:thumbsup2!

You wouldn't do it at home, but unfortunately so many people do it on a cruise or vacation.
Not having to pay for the electricity I guess.
DCL wouldn't have spent the extra money to install the system over a $0.50c light switch if it wouldn't cut down on unnecessary electricity usage.

Yes your so right. I have to tell my kids all the time to turn the light off after they leave a room.

People were asking why we leave the lights on when we leave the cabin, we do not. But I am sure others do.

hrhdhd
02-08-2012, 08:06 PM
You wouldn't do it at home, but unfortunately so many people do it on a cruise or vacation. Not having to pay for the electricity I guess.

Don't worry--on Disney you're paying more than enough for the electricity. :rolleyes1

extechie rbd/wdt
02-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Don't worry--on Disney you're paying more than enough for the electricity. :rolleyes1

And in turn, the environment.

More electricity, more heavy fuel burnt, more pollution.
Not all just about DCL's bottom line. However if the price of oil keep's rising, then so will the price of the cruise across all cruise lines.......

Edit to add a link about the Disney Wonder Cold Ironing in L.A, and that DCL has since the line was conceived, tried to keep pollution to the lowest level possible.
All glass, aluminum, cardboard and recyclable plastic's are taken ashore in PC or the home port of the ship and recycled. In addition, the Dream and now the Fantasy both have more energy efficient engines, lighting and appliances than the Magic Class.

http://blog.silive.com/goofy_about_disney/2011/03/disney_cruise_line_joins_port_of_la_in_clearing_th e_air.html

Namsupak
02-08-2012, 08:12 PM

That's true but its just not very environmentally friendly. Plus remembering to turn the lights off is a good habit to keep doing even on vacation.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-08-2012, 08:18 PM
On a side note, has the key card slot become common on other cruise lines with newer ship's or is it just DCL?

DisneyCruisin'
02-08-2012, 08:25 PM
We used the Privacy Please card that goes on the outside of the door and it worked fine for the light switch. That way we didn't have to pull our KTTW cards out all day because we found out that you could wave your lanyard near the card reader on the outside of the door and it worked just as well as taking your KTTW out of your lanyard to open the door.

jcuzzort1026
02-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Can you leave things to charge while you are not in the room? I remember on our last cruise on the Magic I plugged my ipod in to charge and when we got back to the room there was a "please don't do that again" card left by it.

MDTerp
02-08-2012, 08:42 PM
So, if I'm understanding correctly, since we are staying at AKV pre-cruise, that card could be used to power lights in the staterooms?

extechie rbd/wdt
02-08-2012, 08:45 PM
So, if I'm understanding correctly, since we are staying at AKV pre-cruise, that card could be used to power lights in the staterooms?

Absolutely.
Just a credit card sized piece of plastic make's the light's work.

If you leave the light's on when you go out and your Stateroom Host makes up your room, does a turn down, they will most probably remove it enough that the light's go off thou.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Can you leave things to charge while you are not in the room? I remember on our last cruise on the Magic I plugged my ipod in to charge and when we got back to the room there was a "please don't do that again" card left by it.

The poster's on page one say they have without problem!

Alexander
02-08-2012, 08:47 PM
We used the Privacy Please card that goes on the outside of the door and it worked fine for the light switch. That way we didn't have to pull our KTTW cards out all day because we found out that you could wave your lanyard near the card reader on the outside of the door and it worked just as well as taking your KTTW out of your lanyard to open the door.
Our room steward showed us how to do this. It is what he would use.
We charged our ipods on the clock radio. They have docks. What was your ipod plugged into?

hrhdhd
02-08-2012, 09:10 PM
That's true but its just not very environmentally friendly. Plus remembering to turn the lights off is a good habit to keep doing even on vacation.

Here's the thing: cruising is not environmentally friendly. ;)

If you want to have less of an impact on the environment, don't cruise. Leaving a light on so you can see your way into the cabin when it's dark is not a big deal in the scheme of a cruise with people wasting everything from soda left in cups everywhere to uneaten food to unpurchased photographs. (And I shudder to think of all the stuff left in FEs that people throw away.)

extechie rbd/wdt
02-08-2012, 09:20 PM
Really? Yes cruise ship's burn oil, so do aeroplanes, so do the car's, buses, train's to get us there. But reducing the emissions from them help's everyone.

Try to help a bit without any effort on your part :goodvibes

If the cruise lines can reduce their emissions then good on them!
If you can't see a foot into your Stateroom to put a card in a slot with the hallway light's on then.......

Namsupak
02-08-2012, 09:42 PM

If you want to have less of an impact on the environment, don't cruise. Leaving a light on so you can see your way into the cabin when it's dark is not a big deal in the scheme of a cruise with people wasting everything from soda left in cups everywhere to uneaten food to unpurchased photographs. (And I shudder to think of all the stuff left in FEs that people throw away.)

That's true but just because you pay for something doesn't mean that you have to be wasteful. Also this isn't really adding to the OP's original discussion.

You just need something to place in the slot to turn the lights in the room on, but you can leave items charging even if the slot in the hallway is empty.

BeeTeacher
02-08-2012, 10:30 PM

I found the shutters situation most annoying. To print so many that don't get purchased is just wasteful. It would make so much more sense to just offer CDs or print on demand like at WDW--but... the print quality was better than that at WDW. Still they could have kiosks and you could select what you wanted for printing. If they made the CD Cheaper, more people would buy it. I know I hated that the prints were 8x10, I just dont have much use for that size. I also prefer photos to be black and white sometimes, and that was not an option unless I got the CD. I left 8-10 pix in my folder, and I am sure others have a lot more than we did as we did NO character prints or posed background pix.

Just seemed soooo wasteful...