PDA

View Full Version : just booked last minute first 3N - please share tips

jellojatdisney
02-07-2012, 06:28 PM
We are veteran DCL cruisers but just booked our first 3N. Leaving in a week. Please share your must know tips and suggestions. Please don't tell me the negatives. Could only do a 3N this time. Want to make the best of it. Thanks!

Conservative Hippie
02-07-2012, 06:36 PM
I've only done 3-nights, so I have no idea how they are different. Since you've done several cruises, you won't feel like you have to cram everything in.

emtmom0104
02-07-2012, 06:50 PM
We are veteran DCL cruisers but just booked our first 3N. Leaving in a week. Please share your must know tips and suggestions. Please don't tell me the negatives. Could only do a 3N this time. Want to make the best of it. Thanks!

I would say at least see one show... Believe was an amazing one. We have only done a 3 night and don't even have anything negative to say about our trip at all. Oh, and not sure if your on the Dream or not...if so I would say do the aquaduck at least once. Other than that just take it all in and relax:)

Have fun!!

jellojatdisney
02-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks! It is the Dream. I am so excited to see newest ship. We are going over President's weekend so it might be very crowded!

BeeTeacher
02-07-2012, 07:33 PM
We just got off 3 nite and we loved it and yes, it was crowded, and many hate it but we had a wonderful time. Just like anything, it depends on your expectation level and what you want to do. If you try to do it all, you will leave feeling frustrated.

We didnt have our kids, and were able to find places to escape the kids and crowds easily. The Quiet Cove and deck 12 all the way forward were nice places to just chill out with a book, hang in the jacuzzi...

Other tips I'd suggest--Don't try to see all the shows. We did and it really sucked up our time. Dining takes about 1.5-2 hours so if you want to eat faster, go for the fast food. Altho, we really liked the fine dining rooms--food was very good.

Hang back and let everyone else get off at CC--there are PLENTY of chairs for everyone. Plenty of food too, altho some don't act like it. And there is food at the adult beach but they dont TELL you this on the announcement--they make it sound like cookies and cookies 2 are the only places to get food.

A 3 night was all we could do also so I understand how that goes. We had a great time and I hope you do too!

MelissaE1
02-07-2012, 07:35 PM
We haven't been on the Dream (Fantasy coming up in June) but we did do a 3 night on the Wonder after several 7 nighters on the Magic. To me the best thing to do is focus on a few things that you want to get done, and not try to cram in everything. Leave a little relaxing time. It's a definite advantage being a veteran DCL cruiser you'll have the benefit of having done much already and probably of knowing that you'll be back. That will leave you free to enjoy some of the new stuff the Dream has to offer without overextending yourself.

Enjoy the new ship! :)

4butlers
02-07-2012, 07:45 PM
On our recent 3 nighter, while I got off the ship early to run the Castaway Cay 5K, DH stayed on the ship with the kids. When I was finished, I went back to the ship to meet up with them. By that time, it was around 10:00 and the ship was practically empty. We got something to eat at Cabanas, then we rode the Aquaduck at least 3 times in a row and hung out in the pool for a little while. No crowds, no lines! So, my tip is to wait a little bit before getting off the ship on the Castaway Cay day. :thumbsup2
Have fun!!

jellojatdisney
02-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Will I still be able to get an umbrella on Castaway Cay if I go ashore later than the crowds?

Which show do you think was the best - if we have to choose?

Are there any formal or semi-formal nights?

mellers
02-08-2012, 10:44 AM

If you're a veteran, you probably know this, but buy insurance--try http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/ and http://www.*****************/ , and make sure to get a policy with pre-existing conditions coverage. Then have a great cruise, and I hope you never need to use it. :goodvibes

3 nights is still better than 0 nights! :)

suzyqn
02-08-2012, 11:29 AM
3 nights on a DCL ship is better than 3 nights almost anywhere else.

3 night cruises are pretty much all we have ever done (except one 4night) because that is what we could afford and it was our dream vacation.

Skipping shows is a good way to create more time. We went to the early show of Believe on the 3rd night (I think is was like 3pm or sometime around then)

When our kids were really young they couldn't hack the beach all day so we would go back to the ship for their nap. That last day I like to go around the ship while it is not too crowded and take pictures. I am always surprised to see how empty the pools are at this time. Might be a good time to ride the AquaDuck.

Being that you have sailed DCL before, make a list of your top things you love to do beforehand and make them a priority.

Don't pack a lot of stuff since it is short. You don't want to waste time unpacking, packing, and rifiling through your stuff looking for things when you have too much.

My favorite tip of course is bring your own alcohol/speciality drinks. Even though it is a shorter trip you will still save a ton of money.

Have fun!

NTOFD
02-08-2012, 11:47 AM
We are on this cruise too, our 3rd on the Dream(B2B last Feb.), our 5th 3 night.

Enjoy the ship. The Detective Game is a good way to see a lot of the ship. I'd go to all the shows. We never had a problem getting umbrella's at CC. No formal, I think a dress up night. Cabanans is different than Topsiders, it can be a little confusing like a free for all, just go up to get what you want. Deck 13 aft is a good place to get away from the crowds if needed. Relax, have fun.