PDA

View Full Version : money order or cashiers cheque for villa?

weezy26nm
02-07-2012, 10:48 AM
I'm looking at the villa through VRBO and the owner said preferred payment method was money order or cashiers cheque. Has anyone else ever done this and is it safe? Their website shows paypal for the deposit but it says paypal charges 4%. I've never noticed this on ebay.

KayR
02-08-2012, 10:29 AM
I would check out this owner carefully before handing over cashiers check or money order. I find it usual that an owner only accepts those forms of payment. I am not saying that there is anything wrong, but with these forms of payment you are handing over cash and often these forms of payment are used for scams such as the Nigerian 419 scam. Again, I am not saying anything is wrong - just be careful! Check the owner out on the county property appraiser websites. Ask to see a copy of their DBPR license (all FL vacation rentals should be licensed by the DBPR and also with the State for sales tax - but sometimes their Management Company handles their sales tax).

Paypal charges the seller fees for using credit cards (or cash if it is a Paypal business account). Technically according to Paypal's terms, the seller should not pass this fee on, but some owners do charge a 'convenience fee' for this method of payment.

HTH

-Kay