PDA

View Full Version : Nautical Knowledge, series II.

Tonka's Skipper
02-07-2012, 09:55 AM
Well folks here we go again!.

As before my answers are the ones I feel are the most commonly held as correct. However as anything in Nautical world, there maybe different terms/answers and old sea stories come in various forms.

I am happy to hear anyones answers!:thumbsup2

Easy:

1. FLAGS, a vessel flying a flag that is red on one 1/2 and white on the other, divided by a vertical line, has who/what onboard?

2. Flags, a vessel entering port, flying a all yellow flag means want?

3. What is a sea anchor? This is found mostly on small boats/lifeboats.

4. What types of flares are found in lifeboats?

5. What 2 items are found attached to a lifevest?

[6. What is a swell a vs a wave?

Harder:

1. What is the *BELLBOOK*?

2 What is a magnetic compass? when the compass needle is pointing to north on a magnetic compass, what is it pointing to?

3. Related to a compass, what is deviation? and what is variation?

4. What is the navigators *balls* (ok no, its not what some of you are thinking *G*)

5. We all know the Bermuda triangle..where are the 2 other areas of water near/in the US that is also known for many vessels sinking/missing?

[6. What is the difference between a criuse ship and a ocean liner?

DCL/Cruise line History :

1. What was the last steam powered side wheeler to operate on the hudson river?

2. Which sister ship to the titanic struck and sank what *lightship* in heavy fog?

3. What is the name of the oldest cruise ship operating now?,her name now and then? and what was she famous for?

[4. Who started NCL and Carnival lines?

5. Why is the design and decor of the DCL ships known as classic?

Enjoy!

Ill post another set friday........harder this time!.*S*

AKK

epcot1stfave
02-07-2012, 12:44 PM
First section

1 I have a pilot on board

2 I request free partique

3 Usually a canvas bucket like shape with no bottom trailed from the stern used to keep the boats bow into the seas

4 Not sure guessing orange coloured ones

5 Whistle, Light

6 Swell is a "rolling" sea a wave breaks usually with whitecaps

Will have to have a think about the rest :headache:

Who's your Mickey?
02-07-2012, 02:06 PM

As before my answers are the ones I feel are the most commonly held as correct. However as anything in Nautical world, there maybe different terms/answers and old sea stories come in various forms.

Easy:

1. FLAGS, a vessel flying a flag that is red on one 1/2 and white on the other, divided by a vertical line, has who/what onboard? Pilot onboard

2. Flags, a vessel entering port, flying a all yellow flag means want? Port request/Permission to use the port

3. What is a sea anchor? This is found mostly on small boats/lifeboats. intended to slow the boat and keep it from broaching in the current

4. What types of flares are found in lifeboats? handheld red flares and small red rockets

5. What 2 items are found attached to a lifevest? whistle and strobe light

6. What is a swell a vs a wave? swells are "wind waves", slower, flatter and further apart. waves are taller and closer together

Harder:

1. What is the *BELLBOOK*? ship's log... records ships movements

2 What is a magnetic compass? when the compass needle is pointing to north on a magnetic compass, what is it pointing to? a compass that interacts with the earth's magnetic field. when the needle is pointing north, it is pointing to the earth's magnetis north pole.

3. Related to a compass, what is deviation? and what is variation? deviation is an error caused by the surroundings (iron, steel etc). Variation is the difference between true north and magnetic north

4. What is the navigators *balls* (ok no, its not what some of you are thinking *G*) sun and stars

5. We all know the Bermuda triangle..where are the 2 other areas of water near/in the US that is also known for many vessels sinking/missing? Not a clue...

6. What is the difference between a criuse ship and a ocean liner? Ocean liners were built for speed and stability while offering comfort. They were for transportation not vacation. The hulls were taller and thicker and usually had a more promenant bow rake. Cruise ships are floating resorts and were built to entertain as the move the passengers from place to place.

1. What was the last steam powered side wheeler to operate on the hudson river? A. Hamilton (had to look it up)

2. Which sister ship to the titanic struck and sank what *lightship* in heavy fog? Nantucket

3. What is the name of the oldest cruise ship operating now?,her name now and then? and what was she famous for? MS Marco Polo? Originally named MS Alexandr Pushkin. Quarantined in Scotland for Norovirus (had to look that up)

4. Who started NCL and Carnival lines? Ted Arison

5. Why is the design and decor of the DCL ships known as classic? DCL ships are the only ships built with more than 1 funnel in the last 50+ years. They also feature the black hull/white superstructure color scheme like the great ocean liners all had. Most modern cruise ships feature a white on white paint scheme. They also have art deco/art nouveau interiors and lack the 5 deck high atriums that the modern cruisers have. The 3 deck tall lobby is a more intimate space.

Enjoy!

AKK

See above

Tonka's Skipper
02-08-2012, 04:23 AM
Hey folks...........you people know more then I thought........good Job!

I'll post my answers tomorrow

AKK

disdel
02-08-2012, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper

I am happy to hear anyones answers!
OK, my notes are in blue, and thx to Who's Your Mickey for all the other great answers!
Ken
Easy:

1. FLAGS, a vessel flying a flag that is red on one 1/2 and white on the other, divided by a vertical line, has who/what onboard? Pilot onboard

2. Flags, a vessel entering port, flying a all yellow flag means want? Port request/Permission to use the port

3. What is a sea anchor? This is found mostly on small boats/lifeboats. intended to slow the boat and keep it from broaching in the current
It's USUALLY a canvas or equivalent cone-shape that is used as a drogue for the above purposes. In emergency, it can be anything at the end of a line to provide drag to accomplish the same ends.

4. What types of flares are found in lifeboats? handheld red flares and small red rockets

5. What 2 items are found attached to a lifevest? whistle and strobe light

6. What is a swell a vs a wave? swells are "wind waves", slower, flatter and further apart. waves are taller and closer together

Harder:

1. What is the *BELLBOOK*? ship's log... records ships movements

2 What is a magnetic compass? when the compass needle is pointing to north on a magnetic compass, what is it pointing to? a compass that interacts with the earth's magnetic field. when the needle is pointing north, it is pointing to the earth's magnetis north pole.

3. Related to a compass, what is deviation? and what is variation? deviation is an error caused by the surroundings (iron, steel etc). Variation is the difference between true north and magnetic north

4. What is the navigators *balls* (ok no, its not what some of you are thinking *G*) sun and stars
or the iron spheres on either side of the binnacle (post) where the ship's compass is mounted. They are there to cancel out the effects of the ships outside magnetic fields that would affect the compass

5. We all know the Bermuda triangle..where are the 2 other areas of water near/in the US that is also known for many vessels sinking/missing? Not a clue...
The only one I'm aware of would be the "Michigan Triangle", which refers to the middle of Lake Michigan. Not as many documented losses as the Bermuda, or Devil's, Triangle.

6. What is the difference between a criuse ship and a ocean liner? Ocean liners were built for speed and stability while offering comfort. They were for transportation not vacation. The hulls were taller and thicker and usually had a more promenant bow rake. Cruise ships are floating resorts and were built to entertain as the move the passengers from place to place.

1. What was the last steam powered side wheeler to operate on the hudson river? A. Hamilton (had to look it up)

2. Which sister ship to the titanic struck and sank what *lightship* in heavy fog? Nantucket
The RMS Olympic, (the first of the three of her White Star Lines class) struck and sank the LV Nantucket, in the New York approach lanes, on May 15, 1934. It resulted in 7 of the 11 crew aboard the Nantucket perishing
Oh, before you ask, the third was the Britannic (originally to be the Gigantic, but re-named after the Titanic sinking) which was requisitioned and converted to His Majesty's Hospital Ship (HMHS) Britannic in 1915, and never went into passenger service, as she sank after being torpedoed or striking a mine in November 1916 off the Greek island of Kea, and she remains there in 400 feet of water

3. What is the name of the oldest cruise ship operating now?,her name now and then? and what was she famous for? MS Marco Polo? Originally named MS Alexandr Pushkin. Quarantined in Scotland for Norovirus (had to look that up)

4. Who started NCL and Carnival lines? Ted Arison
Read "Devils On The Deep Blue Sea by Kristoffer Garin for a fascinating account of this, and the modern-era "cruise" industry

5. Why is the design and decor of the DCL ships known as classic? DCL ships are the only ships built with more than 1 funnel in the last 50+ years. They also feature the black hull/white superstructure color scheme like the great ocean liners all had. Most modern cruise ships feature a white on white paint scheme. They also have art deco/art nouveau interiors and lack the 5 deck high atriums that the modern cruisers have. The 3 deck tall lobby is a more intimate space.

Enjoy!

AKK

Bear3412
02-09-2012, 12:12 AM
5. We all know the Bermuda triangle..where are the 2 other areas of water near/in the US that is also known for many vessels sinking/missing?

AKK

OBX , NC
Cape Cod , MA ?

Tonka's Skipper
02-09-2012, 08:47 AM

Easy:

1. FLAGS, a vessel flying a flag that is red on one 1/2 and white on the other, divided by a vertical line, has who/what onboard?

We got this one.......Pilot onboard

2. Flags, a vessel entering port, flying a all yellow flag means want?

8Free Pratgue, meaing my vessel is free of disease and request to enter the port. Today it meansmore that the vessel has not cleared goverment formalities.IE Customs, etc.

3. What is a sea anchor? This is found mostly on small boats/lifeboats.

, The canvas cones are used to drag in the water and keep the bow of a small boat or lifeboat into the sea and help keep it from broaching/floading.

4. What types of flares are found in lifeboats?

Yes indeed, hand held red flares and rocket parachut flares.

5. What 2 items are found attached to a lifevest?

agin!....your right whistle and light

6. What is a swell a vs a wave?

OK....basicly you got it....swells are long seteady waves spaced out and biult up soly depending on current and wind.

Harder:

1. What is the *BELLBOOK*?

Well this one is a older thing today..the bellbook was kept both on the Bridge and in the engine room on the operating plaform and hand recorded the order of engine speed and direction from the bridge and the enginerooms response. Today its all recorded in the black boxes. Some ships may still do a hand writtine bellbook or have a paper chart recording it

2 What is a magnetic compass? when the compass needle is pointing to north on a magnetic compass, what is it pointing to?

OK.yes your right

3. Related to a compass, what is deviation? and what is variation?

Again your right

4. What is the navigators *balls* (ok no, its not what some of you are thinking *G*)

I though I had you on this one, your right......or the iron spheres on either side of the binnacle (post) where the ship's compass is mounted. They are there to cancel out the effects of the ships outside magnetic fields that would affect the compass

Yes Lake Michigan and in Alaska, the SE part of the Bering Sea, where the Dangerous catch guys do there crab fishing!

6. What is the difference between a criuse ship and a ocean liner?

Whose your Mickey.......excellent way to put it.........Ocean liners were built for speed and stability while offering comfort. They were for transportation not vacation. The hulls were taller and thicker and usually had a more promenant bow rake. Cruise ships are floating resorts and were built to entertain as the move the passengers from place to place.

1. What was the last steam powered side wheeler to operate on the hudson river?

Again.I am surprized!........yes the Alexander Hamilton.as I kid actually rode her once up to Bear Mountain

2. Which sister ship to the titanic struck and sank what *lightship* in heavy fog?

.you got it right on the money Disdel.........The RMS Olympic, (the first of the three of her White Star Lines class) struck and sank the LV Nantucket, in the New York approach lanes, on May 15, 1934. It resulted in 7 of the 11 crew aboard the Nantucket perishing
Oh, before you ask, the third was the Britannic (originally to be the Gigantic, but re-named after the Titanic sinking) which was requisitioned and converted to His Majesty's Hospital Ship (HMHS) Britannic in 1915, and never went into passenger service, as she sank after being torpedoed or striking a mine in November 1916 off the Greek island of Kea, and she remains there in 400 feet of water

3. What is the name of the oldest cruise ship operating now?,her name now and then? and what was she famous for?

.my answer is the STockholm of SAL, she is operating now (although greatly changed)...as the Athena

4. Who started NCL and Carnival lines?

Ted Arison it is!

5. Why is the design and decor of the DCL ships known as classic?

Good answer Whose your Mickey..........DCL ships are the only ships built with more than 1 funnel in the last 50+ years. They also feature the black hull/white superstructure color scheme like the great ocean liners all had. Most modern cruise ships feature a white on white paint scheme. They also have art deco/art nouveau interiors and lack the 5 deck high atriums that the modern cruisers have. The 3 deck tall lobby is a more intimate space.

I would add that most passinger ships today are IMHO.more like Las Vegas guddy buses/boxes afloat. Excpet for Cunard and to a leaster degree HAL.

Enjoy!

Ill post another set friday........harder this time!...*S*

AKK

Tonka's Skipper
02-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Here We go.............

1. You see a vessel with 3 flags flying, 3 high. The top and bottom is a white flag with a Blue square within the white field and the middle flag has a diagonal line. top left to bottom right, with red on the upper part and yellow in the bottom part. What is that vessel asking for?

2. What is the Disney legend regarding how the Classic vessels were named?

3. What is the Disney legend on how the Black/blue hull paint color mix came about?

4. On what Ship did Walt and his family take across the atlantic, when on vacation in Europe?

5. Where is the Steering engine room?

6. What type of charts does DCL vessel use?

7. Is the berth that the DCL vessels tie up to in PC, a dock or a Pier?

8. What is the material that the mooring lines of the DCL vessels are made of?

9. What type of weave is used on the DCL vessels mooring lines?

10. Where are the Garboard strakes? (or on Steel ships, Garboard plates?)

11. What type of Merchant dry cargo vessels made in WWII had the problem of breaking in two, while as sea and even while tied to a dock?

12. You are on the bow departing PC, what would you hope to see swimming in the water to bring luck to the voyage?

13. WDW...How many steam powered side wheeler did bay lake and the 7 seas lagoon have?

14. What type of fuel does the DCL vessels run on at sea?

15. What does the term *skool to the Captians cat * mean?

Have at it Captains and mates!

AKK

extechie rbd/wdt
02-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Here We go.............

3. What is the Disney legend on how the Black/blue hull paint color mix came about?
The Coast Guard wouldn't allow black, so the "midnight blue" color was proposed and accepted?

4. On what Ship did Walt and his family take across the atlantic, when on vacation in Europe?
The Moritania?

A Pier as it it not solid to land all the way along

Nylon?

12. You are on the bow departing PC, what would you hope to see swimming in the water to bring luck to the voyage?
Seen dolphin's and Manatees

Heavy diesel

AKK

That's my guess's in red.

Ex Techie :)

Tonka's Skipper
02-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Gee Seems everyone is stumpped?....AKK

truck1
02-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Here We go.............

1. You see a vessel with 3 flags flying, 3 high. The top and bottom is a white flag with a Blue square within the white field and the middle flag has a diagonal line. top left to bottom right, with red on the upper part and yellow in the bottom part. What is that vessel asking for?

11. What type of Merchant dry cargo vessels made in WWII had the problem of breaking in two, while as sea and even while tied to a dock?

13. WDW...How many steam powered side wheeler did bay lake and the 7 seas lagoon have?

Heavy marine distilate.

AKK

Pilot. About to sail.

Depends on who you ask. One of the versions is that the general color scheme was too close to another line, so the colors were varied so as to not infringe on the other line. I think its Holland Amaerica that would have had the issue.

The Rex.

Usually aft of the engine rooms, over or near the rudders.

Paper and electronic. Theres actually a clear acetate sheet that goes over the master printed chart, and they qm uses that to record the ships track. The elctronic is the primary and the paper required by law as back up.

Pier. docks float mostly.

Dacron or Nylon

splice

the strakes directly next to the keel of a ship.

Kaiser Liberty ships

dolpins or manatees

1 The Seven Seas.

maria-fan-22
02-12-2012, 11:10 PM
MY ANSWERS IN RED

Pilot.

Good names to make clever advertising phrases?

The execs were looking for a better looking black to not match Holland and to not seem so sinister and a lady named Monica came tom work in a dress that was a "midnight blue" 85% Black and 15% blue and the execs likes the color and used it.

The Rex? The Mauritania was his Honeymoon Cruise I believe.

On deck A. aka -1

Electronic and paper to make sure the electronic ones are functioning correctly.

Pier.

Nylon

?

On either side of the Keel.

?

Dolphins

One

Heavy Marine Diesel

?

Tonka's Skipper
02-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Here We go.............

OK.........my Answers

Thats is Sierra/Oscar/Serria..or *I am in Distress*, *save our Ship or Save our souls*

well, I read this awhile ago...........seems there was a informal poll amde, with Disney asking about peoples opinon on what would be the best names for the first 2 vessels!

The results had *Walt Disney* first and *Wonder* the 2nd. Seems Disney decided it was to easy or the family didn't want the ship named *Walt Disney*........One lady heard about this and sent another email saying.*If you don't want to name the ship after Walt, then name it after what he created........Magic...

Now I can't prove this story as true,but I like it!

Maria fan 22.you had my version of events.........I beleive it as it just seems like somthing Disney would do!:cool1:

*The execs were looking for a better looking black to not match Holland and to not seem so sinister and a lady named Monica came tom work in a dress that was a "midnight blue" 85% Black and 15% blue and the execs likes the color and used it. *

Your right he did go on a trip on the Rex..but I was thinking of the family trip on the orginial *Queen Elizabeth*... I dont think he did the Muaritania.

Right on top of the rudder posts.....on the DCL ships very far aft around deck 3, the rudder posts are turned by means of electric motors and hydualic rams

You all nailed this one, electronic by over lay or with in the radar screen and back up paper.

With ships a dock is usually right on the waterfrontage running lengthwise. A pier is a land mass or structure that extends perpencular into the water.....

Nylon, Darcon and polyethylene

Ahhh....I got you folks here......braided and double strand braided.

You all nailed this one, right next to the keel is correct

Yeap!.Liberties....They solved the problem by riveting a heavy steel plate, horizontally along the upper part of the hull plating, port and starboard.

Dolpinns and porposes.I never heard Manities.but why not!:thumbsup2

There were 2, the Southern Seas and the Ports of Call. Those 2 were the first steam powered walking beam engines built in 80 years. There was another Southern Seas after the first was layed up/scrapped.......also named the Southern Seas, but it was actually diesel powered.

Heavy 6 fuel......good old black oil!

......When doing some heavy drinking/partying as sea and everything has been toasted that can be,there is always 1 toast more to be made...*Skool (toast) to the Captains Cat*!.........

AKK

Thanks for your answers.I'll set up somemore Friday

AKK

extechie rbd/wdt
02-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Just wan't to say thanks to Skipper and the other's that have contributed to this and the other thread!
Really enjoy the trivia and questions, and appreciate the time taken to think them up and submit them! :thumbsup2:goodvibes

Florida Dreamin'
02-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Didn't post my answers because I only knew a few, so stumped me on a lot. Thanks for the thread Skipper! :)

truck1
02-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Didn't post my answers because I only knew a few, so stumped me on a lot. Thanks for the thread Skipper! :)

Dont let that stop you. Even if you only know 1, go ahead and post it.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Dont let that stop you. Even if you only know 1, go ahead and post it. :thumbsup2

I have no maritime knowledge apart from what I was taught on the Magic as a tech, and the little I remember now! lol!

Have a go Florida Dreamin'!

truck1
02-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Enjoy:

DCL related.
1. The Magic and Wonder are both of the same class. Most know that the bow (front or pointy end as my wife would say) was built in 1 yard, and the stern (back or round end) in another about 100 miles away. Where is the seam on the Magic?
2. The Wonder has a seam in the same place. Whats the difference?
3. What is different about the design process of the Magic Class, vs the Dream Class?
4. What other cartoon characters, took over the Big Red boat, after the Disney contract expired?
5. What happened to Premier Cruises?
6. What can DCL do, that no other ship to date, has been able to do?
7. While strolling the decks of the ships, you notice large rings, with some rope and a strobe light attached. The letters EPRIB are seen on it. What does EPIRB stand for and what does it do?
8. What happens when it gets wet with water?
9. Who cares what happens to it, and what will they do with it?

Non DCL
1. On a paper chart, there are at least 5 different colors. Name 3.
2. On the same chart, there are squiggly lines. What are they?
3. On the same chart, there are numbers in a white field. What do they represent?
4. What is Dead reckoning?
5. While onboard a ship, you look to one side and see a large green cylinder floating in the water, with a red stripe in the middle. What is it and what does the colors represent.
6. Farther along, you see a similar object, though this time, its red with a conical top. What is it and what are the Names of it.(Theres at least 2)
7. Why is it important that a ship, that comes and goes from the same port, take on a pilot?
8. Who cares for these floating objects?

extechie rbd/wdt
02-13-2012, 08:06 PM
Enjoy:

DCL related.
1. The Magic and Wonder are both of the same class. Most know that the bow (front or pointy end as my wife would say) was built in 1 yard, and the stern (back or round end) in another about 100 miles away. Where is the seam on the Magic?
The forward part of Midship's?

6"'s?

3. What is different about the design process of the Magic Class, vs the Dream Class?

4. What other cartoon characters, took over the Big Red boat, after the Disney contract expired?

They went bankrupt?

Sound more than one tune on their horn's?

7. While strolling the decks of the ships, you notice large rings, with some rope and a strobe light attached. The letters EPRIB are seen on it. What does EPIRB stand for and what does it do?
Can't remember what EPIRB stand's for but there were only two on the Magic when I was a board. Sound's like they have more now and fitted them to the life ring's?

It activates the GPS and Radio beacon?

Send's out GPS and radio positioning data/signal's

Non DCL

Sand bank's or rock's?

3. On the same chart, there are numbers in a white field. What do they represent?

5. While onboard a ship, you look to one side and see a large green cylinder floating in the water, with a red stripe in the middle. What is it and what does the colors represent.

6. Farther along, you see a similar object, though this time, its red with a conical top. What is it and what are the Names of it.(Theres at least 2)

7. Why is it important that a ship, that comes and goes from the same port, take on a pilot?
As* covering? lol!

Captain's or who ever is in charge of the vessel that wan't a safe and known clear passage?

My answer's in red

Silverfox97
02-13-2012, 08:20 PM
OK truck1 - I am going to take a stab at some :goodvibes

Enjoy:

DCL related.
Looney Tunes
Bankrupt
Fireworks at sea
Oooh! I know this from Deadliest Catch!!! Emergency Position-Indicating Radio Beacon & once it's activated, GPS tells your location
Alerts the Coast Guard! & sends rescue planes/boats

Non DCL
I love the pilot process!!! Everytime we leave Port Canaveral, we area always watching this process!!! The pilot is the one that is actually in charge of the ship and takes control of the ship and navigates it out of the port. Then, a little boat pulls up and the pilot jumps off the ship and onto the little boat and takes him back to the harbor.

truck1
02-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Techie,

Youre close on some, and others, not so much. Though some are lmao.
On number 1, there is a specific location that Im looking for. I knew about where it was, and actually got someone from the ships tour to show it to me, and explain the difference.
On non DCL number 2 youre close. At least on the right track.

truck1
02-13-2012, 08:28 PM
OK truck1 - I am going to take a stab at some :goodvibes

So far so good. Ill post the answeres tom, and spot check now and then.

On Non DCL 7, theres a specific reason Im looking for. Youre on the right track.

Florida Dreamin'
02-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Enjoy:

DCL related.
1. The Magic and Wonder are both of the same class. Most know that the bow (front or pointy end as my wife would say) was built in 1 yard, and the stern (back or round end) in another about 100 miles away. Where is the seam on the Magic? about where the forwards stairs are
2. The Wonder has a seam in the same place. Whats the difference? its for decoration purposes only, it was to make the ships look identical
4. What other cartoon characters, took over the Big Red boat, after the Disney contract expired? looney toons
5. What happened to Premier Cruises? Went bankrupt
6. What can DCL do, that no other ship to date, has been able to do? fireworks at sea
7. While strolling the decks of the ships, you notice large rings, with some rope and a strobe light attached. The letters EPRIB are seen on it. What does EPIRB stand for and what does it do? radio beacons, Emergency Positioning Indicator Radio Beacon - helps locate when in distress

All I have. :)

truck1
02-13-2012, 08:36 PM
All I have. :)

Not bad at all. Good Job. Ill post the answers tom.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Techie,

Youre close on some, and others, not so much. Though some are lmao.
On number 1, there is a specific location that Im looking for. I knew about where it was, and actually got someone from the ships tour to show it to me, and explain the difference.
On non DCL number 2 youre close. At least on the right track.

The two I knew of were on the bridge wing's, Port and Starboard in a kind of holder that would allow them to float free if the ship sunk!
That's what I remember from the Safety Familiarization lesson when we used to board each time for a new contract!
Video was shot on the Wonder of "scenarios" to a jean michel jarre track!

truck1
02-13-2012, 09:01 PM
The two I knew of were on the bridge wing's, Port and Starboard in a kind of holder that would allow them to float free if the ship sunk!
That's what I remember from the Safety Familiarization lesson when we used to board each time for a new contract!
Video was shot on the Wonder of "scenarios" to a jean michel jarre track!

There still there. Im almost positive, Ive seen some life rings on deck 10 that have EPIRBS attached now. I know they at least have a strobe. The effect is still the same if they are only strobes and not an EPIRB. The process would be the same if a EPIRB was launched/actrivated.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-13-2012, 09:11 PM
There still there. Im almost positive, Ive seen some life rings on deck 10 that have EPIRBS attached now. I know they at least have a strobe. The effect is still the same if they are only strobes and not an EPIRB. The process would be the same if a EPIRB was launched/actrivated.

I REALLY REALLY hope the two on the bridge wing's are there!

Good to hear they have more than just the rope on the life ring's now. I think they just has a light (similar to the one on the lifejacket's, that I hear now are strobes :thumbsup2, much more visable!)

BUT, I hope the process wouldn't be the same if a life ring thrown overboard.
One person in trouble. Beacon and strobe yep!

Bridge wing EPIRB overboard, a whole lotta more people in a whole lotta more serious trouble.

Saw the strobe's on the Concordia video's, but they were going off without salt water activation for some reason?

Ex Techie

Silverfox97
02-13-2012, 09:28 PM
This is an excerpt from Wikipedia on the Premier cruise line for those interested:

The Oceanic (Big Red Boat I) is still sailing today. On 23 April 2009 she was sold to Japan-based Peace Boat. The Big Red Boat II, formerly Eugenio Costa, was put up for sale and was laid up in Freeport, Bahamas. It had no potential buyers and remained there until 2005. It was eventually sold to the breakers and was scrapped in Alang, India in late 2005.[7] The Big Red Boat III, formerly Carnival Cruise Line's Festivale was also sold for scrap. The former Frederico C (called the Seabreeze I) was to be scrapped at India but instead sank in a storm 220 nautical miles (407 km) off the Virginia coast. Lastly, the Rembrandt, formerly the Rotterdam, was purchased by the city of Rotterdam, The Netherlands, to be restored and kept as a historic landmark

truck1
02-13-2012, 09:29 PM
I REALLY REALLY hope the two on the bridge wing's are there!

Good to hear they have more than just the rope on the life ring's now. I think they just has a light (similar to the one on the lifejacket's, that I hear now are strobes :thumbsup2, much more visable!)

BUT, I hope the process wouldn't be the same if a life ring thrown overboard.
One person in trouble. Beacon and strobe yep!

Bridge wing EPIRB overboard, a whole lotta more people in a whole lotta more serious trouble.

Saw the strobe's on the Concordia video's, but they were going off without salt water activation for some reason?

Ex Techie

As far as the conclusion of the issue, the result is the same whether its a strobe or EPIRB. Theres a reason for it.

Both can be activated manually, and have been in the past.

The way I understand it, is that an EPIRB, must be mounted in a spot that it will float free if needed. BUT must also be able to be thrown clear. such as the Concordia, where she rolled, and prob didnt float her EPIRBS free.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-13-2012, 09:43 PM
As far as the conclusion of the issue, the result is the same whether its a strobe or EPIRB. Theres a reason for it.

Both can be activated manually, and have been in the past.

The way I understand it, is that an EPIRB, must be mounted in a spot that it will float free if needed. Agreed! :thumbsup2 BUT must also be able to be thrown clear. such as the Concordia, where she rolled, and prob didnt float her EPIRBS free.

But the Concordia's EPRB's could have been thrown overboard from the bridge wing's once she it the rock, BUT from the report's the Capt. delayed or mis understood the seriousness of what had happened.
The EPIRB, from Wiki:
"they are radiobeacons that interface with worldwide offered service of Cospas-Sarsat, the international satellite system for search and rescue (SAR). When manually activated, or automatically activated upon immersion, such beacons send out a distress signal. The signals are monitored worldwide and the location of the distress is detected by non-geostationary satellites, and can be located by trilateration in combination with triangulation, respecting the varying quality of the signal received.[1]"

I do not doubt a EPIRB "type" device being on the life ring's, but doubt they are a "full" type EPIRB as are on the bridge wing's.

A strobe in the middle of the atlantic wouldn't help the Magic/Wonder/Dream and soon to be Fantasy if they had a issue. A Radio beacon would help some, but the GPS part help's a lot more as it is monitored.

No argument, just thought's! :goodvibes

Ex Techie

Silverfox97
02-13-2012, 09:47 PM
A strobe in the middle of the atlantic wouldn't help the Magic/Wonder/Dream and soon to be Fantasy if they had a issue. A Radio beacon would help some, but the GPS part help's a lot more as it is monitored.

Nor would it help the crab fishermen on the Bering Sea :scared1:

extechie rbd/wdt
02-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Nor would it help the crab fishermen on the Bering Sea :scared1:

A strobe, or a GPS locator?

In either case GPS locator will at least give the coast guard a position to send help via helo's, rescue vessel's and other ships to the last known location.

Ex Techie

maria-fan-22
02-13-2012, 09:59 PM
DCL related.
Forwards Stairwell area.
The Wonder'scan't come apart evenly. It has staggered sheets of steel.
Dream was mostly computer while the Magic was mostly Paper?
No idea.
Bankrupt.
Shoot fireworks onboard.
Ni idea.
The Light will…light
No idea

Non DCL
Red, green Blue
No idea.
Ocean depth
no idea.
Buoy, West side of canal
Bouy, East side of canal

These are hard ones! But still fun.

Silverfox97
02-13-2012, 10:00 PM

In either case GPS locator will at least give the coast guard a position to send help via helo's, rescue vessel's and other ships to the last known location.

Ex Techie

Their rafts and survival suits have the EPIRBs on them, so I believe those are GPS locators and strobes. I love those boys :lovestruc

Who's your Mickey?
02-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Enjoy:

DCL related.
1. The Magic and Wonder are both of the same class. Most know that the bow (front or pointy end as my wife would say) was built in 1 yard, and the stern (back or round end) in another about 100 miles away. Where is the seam on the Magic? at the forward stairwell
2. The Wonder has a seam in the same place. Whats the difference?I didn't think Wonder was built in two halves. If it was, they were built in the same yard.
3. What is different about the design process of the Magic Class, vs the Dream Class? The Dream Class ships were designed entirely on a computer using three dimensional modeling.
4. What other cartoon characters, took over the Big Red boat, after the Disney contract expired? Looney Toons
5. What happened to Premier Cruises? They went bankrupt and their ships were seized in whatever port they were in at the time.
6. What can DCL do, that no other ship to date, has been able to do?My first thought was the musical horn, but I'm gonna go with fireworks at sea.
7. While strolling the decks of the ships, you notice large rings, with some rope and a strobe light attached. The letters EPRIB are seen on it. What does EPIRB stand for and what does it do? Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon. It transmits a radio signal at a set frequency (406 MHz) notifying the authorities that there is a vessel in distress, the name of the vessel and the location of the vessel within 5km
8. What happens when it gets wet with water? they will automatically go off. most EPIRBs have a pressure sensor so that a wave or rain will not set it off.
9. Who cares what happens to it, and what will they do with it? Coast Guard. Launch S&R.

Non DCL
1. On a paper chart, there are at least 5 different colors. Name 3. White (Water), Blue (Shallow water), Green (tidal areas that may be uncovered during low tide).
2. On the same chart, there are squiggly lines. What are they? undersea cables
3. On the same chart, there are numbers in a white field. What do they represent? depth to sea floor.
4. What is Dead reckoning? calculating your current position from a prior fix be using course, speed and elapsed time
5. While onboard a ship, you look to one side and see a large green cylinder floating in the water, with a red stripe in the middle. What is it and what does the colors represent. preferred channel to starboard. if the top color was red it would indicate preferred channel to port.
6. Farther along, you see a similar object, though this time, its red with a conical top. What is it and what are the Names of it.(Theres at least 2) Nun buoy. It marks the port side of the channel when heading toward open water.
7. Why is it important that a ship, that comes and goes from the same port, take on a pilot? tidal conditions can impact the channel and the captain of the ship may not be aware of these changes. The pilot knows and can anticipate the effects of weather and tide on the channel conditions.
8. Who cares for these floating objects? it depends on the location, but some are maintained by the Coast Guard, others by boating clubs or other private entities.

My answers are in red above.

Tonka's Skipper
02-14-2012, 11:03 AM
Enjoy:

Hey this is great!......

DCL related.

The seam is vertical just a few feet aft of the Deck 3 side ports

[/COLOR] I know on the M<agic there was a long draw out process to pick the right Naval design firm, One that matched the Disney design teams idea of a specail classic style vessel.

I thought the Wonder was done based on the Magic plans???[/COLOR]

Looney Toons

Gone the way of many lines..out of business

Firworks of course!

Emergency position Indicating Radio Beacon

When uprighted, the light goes off and the radio sends a homing radio signal. It does not have to become wet

:confused3

Non DCL

[COLOR="red"]Botton Contours

Depth of water, either in feet or fathoms

A process to estimate your postion along your voyage, using a known position and estimating course, drift, speed, time.....plotting your estimated postion.

nun or channel bouy

A pilot was great knowledge of local conditions, and the waters to be navigated. Althought the Master is in Command, the pilot does the actual navigation of the vessel.

USCG and local naigational aids, put in my local authorities are taken care of by local authorities.

AKK:thumbsup2

NWDAD
02-14-2012, 01:36 PM

Ex Techie

An EPRIP is the same as an ELT on aircraft. Both used to be monitored on VHF radio. Now they go direct to Satelites and are monitored 24/7. With in seconds of one going off agencies ar notified and SAR is started. It can get interesting if you set one off on accident.;)

Kevin

Tonka's Skipper
02-14-2012, 02:20 PM
An EPRIP is the same as an ELT on aircraft. Both used to be monitored on VHF radio. Now they go direct to Satelites and are monitored 24/7. With in seconds of one going off agencies ar notified and SAR is started. It can get interesting if you set one off on accident.;)

Kevin

Hell Kevin, they also fine your butt off big time!....AKK

truck1
02-14-2012, 10:34 PM
DCL related.
On the outside, port side, under lifeboat 10.You can see it standing on the walkway on deck 5. Same spot on the stbd side. That seam wil travel all the way around the ship,with a deviation of about 1/16th of an inch. Acording to the Magics designer, if the Magic were ever to suffer a crack in her hull, it would be anywhere but there. Its the strongest part on the ship.
The Wonders is for decoration only
For the Magic class, they built the ship around the hotel. For the Dream class, the built the ship, then stuck a hotel in it.
Looney Toons
They went bankrupt. Several of their ships are still sailing under different names, and at least 1 is to be or is a landmark in its namesake country.
Fireworks at sea
Emergency Position Indicator Radio Beacons. Sends an automated message asking for help.
It will activate, sending a signal to every ship and plane in the area, advertising its position and asking for help.
The USCG and other law enforcement agencies. If it is activated or falls of a ship, or released from a ship in a worst case scenario, one of the things that will happen is someone will find it, and remove it from the water, so after the search is over, no one will mistake it for a current emergency. If they are activated, by accident or on purpose, it will bring a vist by the CG or law enforcement. They dont like to go searching for something that isnt in immediate danger.

Non DCL
Yellow, blue, black, red, pink to name a few2. On the same chart, there are squiggly lines. What are they?
Contour lines on the bottom. Tells how steep a drop off is
Depth of the water in a given measurement, usually in feet, though can be just about any measurement.

Can Buoy. The Green on top is the preferred side to pass the buoy on, though you can pass it on either side. Also used as a turning buoy where 2 channels meet. A solid Green buoy, is usually paired with a red nun buoy, to mark a channel.
Nun Buoy. Or Buoy. It is usually paired with a green can buoy.
A pilot, knows the location of every single hazzard area or concern for that area, along with which way sandbars shift, currents run in a given condition etc. He/She will advise the ships capt or master,the safest aproach thru the channel.
In the US, its the United States Coast Guard. They care, repair all aids to navigation, and mark all hazzards, channels etc

Tonka's Skipper
02-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Ok next set

Easy:

1. What is the superstructure of a vessel?

2. What is the name of the large wide section of the hull at the very end of the bow?

3. Entering or leaving port, what flag is flown form the mast over the wheelhouse, on the right side of the yardarm?

4. What is the beam of a vessel?

5. What is LOA in reguard to the lenght of a vessel?

Harder:

1. What is a *compass Rose*?

2. How fast is a *knot*? (not the rope kind)

3. Where is shaft allley?

4. On which side of the ship is the Masters stateroom and the Cheif Engineers stateroom usually located?

5. What is *sail area* on a vessel?

Hardest:

1. What is a *water/foam monitor*?

2. What is a *hose snozzle(spl?)*?

3. What is a sextant?

4. How does a depth sounder work?

5. What is a *rouge wave*

DCL:

1. What is the name of the main dinning rooms of the classic vessels?

2. What country flag does the DCL vessels fly?

3. What charater is on the stern of the new Fantasy?

4. How many side thrusters does the classic vessels have?

5. The Classic vessels are approximatley the size of 2 WWII warships.
What type of warship?

Enjoy!:cool1:...................AKK

Tonka's Skipper
02-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Bonus Question!

How is a fairy tale different from a sea story?:cool1:

AKK

Florida Dreamin'
02-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Ok next set
DCL:

Triton's, Lumiere's, Animator's Palate, Parrot Cay, Topsiders

The Bahamas

Dumbo, and I think Timothy Mouse

All I've got... kinda. ;)

truck1
02-16-2012, 03:35 PM

good Job.

Tonka's Skipper
02-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Excellent, be carefull though...this trivia stuff can get adictive!

AKK

starch139
02-16-2012, 05:38 PM
For hardest 1 and 2 are you talking about the monitors for the fire protection system? And the hose nozzle for the same purpose?

Who's your Mickey?
02-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Ok next set

Easy:

1. What is the superstructure of a vessel? The part of the ship built above the gunwale of the hull.

2. What is the name of the large wide section of the hull at the very end of the bow? The prow.

3. Entering or leaving port, what flag is flown form the mast over the wheelhouse, on the right side of the yardarm? Ship owner's flag

4. What is the beam of a vessel? The width of the ship at its widest point.

5. What is LOA in reguard to the lenght of a vessel? LOA is length overall. From the frontmost point of the bow to the aftmost part of the stern.

Harder:

1. What is a *compass Rose*? the face of the compass showing North, South, East and West.

2. How fast is a *knot*? (not the rope kind) @ 1.15 mph

3. Where is shaft allley? The area of the ship where the prop shaft run between the engins and where they exit the hull.

4. On which side of the ship is the Masters stateroom and the Cheif Engineers stateroom usually located? Master - starboard side, just aft of the bridge. Chief engineer - not a clue

5. What is *sail area* on a vessel? ???

Hardest:

1. What is a *water/foam monitor*? firefighting apparatus that can spray water / foam / chemical etc.

2. What is a *hose snozzle(spl?)*? reinforced nozzle that has the ability to penetrate a bulkhead and dispense fire retardant.

3. What is a sextant? Tool used for celestial navigation.

4. How does a depth sounder work? bounces sound waves off the sea floor to calculate sea depth.

5. What is a *rouge wave* unusually large waves out at sea that do not coincide with the sea state. They can be large enough to hazard a large vessel.

DCL:

1. What is the name of the main dinning rooms of the classic vessels? Triton's, Lumiere's and Animator's Palette

2. What country flag does the DCL vessels fly? Bahamas

3. What charater is on the stern of the new Fantasy? Dumbo and Timothy Q. Mouse

4. How many side thrusters does the classic vessels have? 5 - 3 at the bow, 2 at the stern

What type of warship? not a clue

There you have it...:rolleyes1:rolleyes1:rolleyes1

maria-fan-22
02-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Easy:

The Upper part, sometimes made out of aluminum because it's lighter.
2. What is the name of the large wide section of the hull at the very end of the bow?

3. Entering or leaving port, what flag is flown form the mast over the wheelhouse, on the right side of the yardarm?

width

Harder:

its a printed compass on a map that has eight peddles.

about 1.2 mph.

4. On which side of the ship is the Masters stateroom and the Cheif Engineers stateroom usually located?
port

Hardest:

3. What is a sextant?

a random large wave that is undetectable and can be large enough to sink a ship.

DCL:

1. What is the name of the main dinning rooms of the classic vessels? Lumiers, Animator's Palette, Parrot Cay(magic) Tritons, Animator's Palette, Parrot Cay (wonder)

The Bahamas

Dumbo and Timmy

Five

What type of warship?

epcot1stfave
02-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Harder 5

what is sail area on a vessel?

The area of hull and superstructure that is exposed to the wind eg if the wind is blowing from dead ahead only the forward facing area catches the wind, which can slow a vessel, but if the wind is blowing directly on the beam the whole hull and superstructure will catch the wind, just like a big "sail" which will try to push her sideways.

truck1
02-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Ok next set

Easy:

The upper portion, or the bridge portion, depending on who you ask. 2.

What is the name of the large wide section of the hull at the very end of the bow?

Owners

Width

The length of a ship between the farthest points, fore to aft

Harder:

The compass wheel on a paper chart.

1.15 MPH

The plasce on a ship where the propellor shafts run from the drive engine to the thru hull fitting.

The Cheng is on the port and the master on the stbd. At least on the Magic class.

On a sailing ship, its the square footage of actual sail, or on a pwered ship, is the area from the waterline to th funnels.

Hardest:

A large diameter fixed position nozzle that rotates and elevates for fire protection.

Snozzles are nozzles that are attached to booms or pipe for added reach or height.

3. What is a sextant?
A device that is used by the qutermaster to help plot a ships position.

By bouncing a signal of the bottom, and measuring how long it takes to return to the ship.

A wave that is significantly larger the what is average at that moment in time.

DCL:

Tritons, Lumieres, Parrot Cay Animators Palatte

Bahamian

Dumbo with Timothy J Mouse

5, 3 foward and 2 aft

What type of warship?
Theres several. Essex class carriers, Iowa class Battleships, South Dakota Class Battleships.

Easy:

The upper portion, or the bridge portion, depending on who you ask. 2.

What is the name of the large wide section of the hull at the very end of the bow?
Upper is prow

Owners

Width

The length of a ship between the farthest points, fore to aft

Harder:

The compass wheel on a paper chart.

1.15 MPH

The plasce on a ship where the propellor shafts run from the drive engine to the thru hull fitting.

The Cheng is on the port and the master on the stbd. At least on the Magic class.

On a sailing ship, its the square footage of actual sail, or on a pwered ship, is the area from the waterline to th funnels.

Hardest:

A large diameter fixed position nozzle that rotates and elevates for fire protection.

Snozzles are nozzles that are attached to booms or pipe for added reach or height.

3. What is a sextant?
A device that is used by the qutermaster to help plot a ships position.

By bouncing a signal of the bottom, and measuring how long it takes to return to the ship.

A wave that is significantly larger the what is average at that moment in time.

DCL:

Tritons, Lumieres, Parrot Cay Animators Palatte

Bahamian

Dumbo with Timothy J Mouse

5, 3 foward and 2 aft

What type of warship?
Theres several. Essex class carriers, Iowa class Battleships, South Dakota Class Battleships.

truck1
02-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Heres another set:

Non DCL

1. On a ship, what is the air draft and why is it important?
2. What is the draft of a ship?
3.What is another name for the propellers?
4. On ships with multiple propellers, (2 or more) which way do they turn?
5.While walking along the DCL ships, or even any other ships, you notice numbers that go up from the waterline, and get higher the higher on the hull they go. What do the numbers represent?
6.When a ship turns at sea, how does the ship turn and why? (not with rudders or azipods. Thats a given)
7.While you are walking along a pier, with ships tied up, what are the names of the things that the ropes are attached to?
8. What are the names of the ropes that attach a ship to a pier?
10. What is it called when a ship is tied to a pier?
11. While looking at an older ship tied up to a pier, you notice black semi circles at certain points on the hull. What are they called, and where do they come from?
12. Where does the term Red Right Return come from?
13. Who decides that a port is closed, and who can come or go?
14. While looking at a ships mast, you notice “bars” that are rotating that say SPERRY on the front. What are they?
15. While underway at night, a ship must show at least 3 lights. The larger the ship, the more lights. What are the 3 lights that must be shown at minimum, and where are they on a ship or boat?
DCL
1.How heavy are the Magic Class?
2. How heavy are the Dream Class?
3. What are the numbers and letters that are printed on top of the lifeboats?
4.How many places on the outside of the DCL ships, does the name appear?
5. How many places on the outside of the DCL ships does Nassau appear?
6.What were the 3 options for Disney, when the contract for Premier cruises expired?
7. How many restaurants are on the Magic class, not including counter service?
8. How many on the Dream Class?
9.On DCL ships, there are 2 sets of officers, 1 from each category. What are the names of the 2 categories?
10. What are the names of the 4 Disney ships?

extechie rbd/wdt
02-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Heres another set:

Non DCL

The depth to the bottom of the hull from the water line?

Screws?

Opposite directions. Port counterclockwise, Starboard clockwise? otherwise the ship would sail round in circles!

5.While walking along the DCL ships, or even any other ships, you notice numbers that go up from the waterline, and get higher the higher on the hull they go. What do the numbers represent?
The amount the ship has submerged below the marker line since being floated out denoting to weight of the load, good's and people aboard?

6.When a ship turns at sea, how does the ship turn and why?
A rudder Aft of the propellor on traditionally propelled ship's, or using azipod's in some more modern ships?
Why due to water flow across the rudder or by being propelled by the azipods?

7.While you are walking along a pier, with ships tied up, what are the names of the things that the ropes are attached to?

Mooring lines?

Moored?

11. While looking at an older ship tied up to a pier, you notice black semi circles at certain points on the hull. What are they called, and where do they come from?

The Harbour Master, and no vessel can dock or leave?

14. While looking at a ships mast, you notice “bars” that are rotating that say SPERRY on the front. What are they?
Radar?

15. While underway at night, a ship must show at least 3 lights. The larger the ship, the more lights. What are the 3 lights that must be shown at minimum, and where are they on a ship or boat?
Port Bridge, Starboard Bridge and an central Aft Stern light?

DCL

83,600 tonnes Also I was told, 83,630, but not sure how accurate that is!

The vessel they are from's IMO registration number?

4.How many places on a DCL ship, does the name appear?
3 time's, Port forward, Starboard Forward, and on the Stern

5. How many places on the DCL ships does Nassau appear?
Once, on the Stern

6.What were the 3 options for Disney, when the contract for Premier cruises expired?

7. How many restaurants are on the Magic class, not including counter
service?
5, Lumiere's/Tritons, Parrot Cay, Animator's Palate, Topsiders/Beach Blanket and Palo, however 7 if you count Lumiere's and Tritons and Topsider's and Beach Blanket separately!

6, Enchanted Garden, Royal Palace, Animators Palate, Cabana's, Palo and Remy or 7 if you count' Royal Palace and Royal Court separately!

9.On DCL ships, there are 2 sets of officers, 1 from each category. What are the names of the 2 categories?
Deck Officer's, and Officers?
or
Petty Officer's, and Officers?

My guess at the answers in Red

Ex techie :)

extechie rbd/wdt
02-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Also to add that if 4 & 5 from the DCL section are taken literally:

The name is all over the ship, in various places.
But it is also on every Lifeboat, life ring, lifejacket, as is Nassau.
Not sure about EPERB's though!

truck1
02-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Also to add that if 4 & 5 from the DCL section are taken literally:

The name is all over the ship, in various places.
But it is also on every Lifeboat, life ring, lifejacket, as is Nassau.
Not sure about EPERB's though!

I edited those questions to make them a little clearer.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-18-2012, 11:42 PM
I edited those questions to make them a little clearer.

Wasn't a criticizm, just hoping you weren't try to catch us out! lol! :goodvibes

truck1
02-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Wasn't a criticizm, just hoping you weren't try to catch us out! lol! :goodvibes

Nope. Didnt take it that way. When I came up with those questions, I was trying to think of a way to put them, and had forgotten about some of the other places. The one about the ships turning, Im trying to think of a way to put it, without giving it away. BTW, the number of rest is off by a few. :) You should know the others. popcorn::

extechie rbd/wdt
02-19-2012, 03:59 PM
BTW, the number of rest is off by a few. :) You should know the others. popcorn::

I guess you could add 2 more to each ship if you count Deck 1 facilities! :rotfl:

The title restaurant is pushing it a bit! :lmao: Fish Head soup anyone?? :scared1:

Tonka's Skipper
02-20-2012, 07:04 AM
Well it seems you folks got most of these.....but here are my answers!

Easy:

All structure of the vessel above the gunwales!

I think I could have worded this one better, but I as referring to the *Bulbous Bow*, it is used to start the the water around the vessel is part and set up the riding wave..reducing friction and increasing speed and reducing fuel consumption.

As a courtesy to the country waters/harbour you are entering..you fly the countries flag......you will see old glory up there on the next cruise from the states!

Indeed.the widest part of the vessel

Again..you guys got this.........Length over all.

Harder:

I was thinking of the rose/compass face on a chart.but you are correct......the compass face or rose is of course on a compass too!

[/COLOR]1 knot is the speed over a nautical mile...........6,222 feet.[/COLOR]

Right down there with the prop shafts!

As tradition (but no always these days).the Captians cabin was was on the deck below the bridge, starbaord side and the chief Engineers on the Port side. The Captains sometimes did have a *day* cabin on the bridge in the chart room area.

Indeed yes.the sail area is any part of the vessel above the water, that the wind can push againist!......

Hardest:

Yea a water/foam cannon for another word!

That big brass thing to spray the water in different streams, like on a garden hose

3. What is a sextant?

A Sextent is a navigation tool used to meaure the height of a celestrial object(sun, moon star) above the horizon. Using various tables a Deck Officer can determine a LOP, or line of postion along which his vessel was at that time. Taking more then 1 LOP, where they cross, is where your vessel was at that time.

A echo electrical signal is directed down and by measuring the time it takes to return, the depht under the keel is measured

A rouge wave is formed by weather stroms and currents all coming together to creat a very large Rouge wave, very dangerous to a vessel. They do not happen often, but they do happen

The Posiden Adventure movie was based on the rough wave that hit the original Queen Mary, in the north atlantic, where she was hit over the starboard bow, crushed the forward well deck down 10' and rolled her 34 degress.......that is a BIG roll for a passinger ship!

DCL:

You got all these too!

Bahammas

Yeap!......Dunbo and timothy

Yeap...5 it is

What type of warship?

They are basicly the size of 2........WWII aircraft carriers!

NOW the extra credit..............A fairy tale is like a sea story becuase a fairy tale starts..............*Once upon a time..*.and the sea story starts....*This ain't no S....t*.....*G*

Now I have to go take on trucks latest set!........

............AKK

Tonka's Skipper
02-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Non DCL

Air Draft is measured from the vessels present water level(water line) to the highest point of the vessels usually a mast hard. Important only if your not wanting to hit the bridge up ahead.*G*

Draft is measured from the presnt water level(watetrline) to the bottom of the vessel.

screws

they turn inward,,,,,,,the right hand prop turns clockwise and the left hand engine turns counter clockwise. Now that said some can reverse that and turn outward.

Draft marks

6.When a ship turns at sea, how does the ship turn and why? (not with rudders or azipods. Thats a given)

Not sure what you mean?...

ballards, cleats and bitts

mooring lines

moored

No idea here

Red bouys are on the right side side of the channel as your entering port or the channel

Ok......the USCG and the Harbor Master can close a harbor or port. They do work together on this. In a port or harbor or area that reqiures a pilot, can be shut down by the pilots if the pilots feel there is unsafe conditions and they refuse to sail or bring in a vessel. They to work together with the USCG and the harbor Masters.

Not just sperry,,,,,,,but its Radar

small boats can show only 3 lights, a red and green side light each showing though 8 points of the compass, from right ahead, extending aft along the proper side and a all around white light higher up.

DCL

83, 000 gross tons

128,00 Gross

the name of the vessel and number of the lifeboat,

By law, the stern and on either side of the vessel, toward the bow, But I am guessing there are others I dont know about

stern

To extend the contract as was, buy the vessel, and biuld a vessel to be operated by Premier

5, the 3 diming rooms, Palo and the buffet

6, the 3 dining rooms, palo, Remy and the buffet

There are the Deck Officers, the Engineering Officers. There is also the hotel staff

MAGIC, WONDER, DREAM AND FANTASY

truck1
02-20-2012, 10:45 PM
I guess you could add 2 more to each ship if you count Deck 1 facilities! :rotfl:

The title restaurant is pushing it a bit! :lmao: Fish Head soup anyone?? :scared1:

I never said guest rest. Rest being for lack of a better term.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-20-2012, 10:53 PM
I never said guest rest. Rest being for lack of a better term.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:!

Did that increase my correct Rest count any?!? lol!

I also think that any DCL ship tour should include complementary lunch in the Crew Mess!
(but I think the popularity and rating's would decrease very rapidly!) ;)

extechie rbd/wdt
02-20-2012, 10:56 PM
A "Night in the Crew Bar" ticket's would sell like hot cakes though!
$500 per person I reckon would be worth it! (drink's not included!)

Tonka's Skipper
02-22-2012, 09:43 AM
A "Night in the Crew Bar" ticket's would sell like hot cakes though!
$500 per person I reckon would be worth it! (drink's not included!)

.Sounds like a plan to me!......I'll by the first round!

AKK

truck1
02-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Non DCL

The depth to the bottom of the hull from the water line?

Screws?

Opposite directions. Port counterclockwise, Starboard clockwise? otherwise the ship would sail round in circles!

The amount the ship has submerged below the marker line since being floated out denoting to weight of the load, good's and people aboard?

6.When a ship turns at sea, how does the ship turn and why?
A rudder Aft of the propellor on traditionally propelled ship's, or using azipod's in some more modern ships?
Why due to water flow across the rudder or by being propelled by the azipods?

Mooring lines?

Moored?

The Harbour Master, and no vessel can dock or leave?

Radar?

Port Bridge, Starboard Bridge and an central Aft Stern light?

DCL

83,600 tonnes Also I was told, 83,630, but not sure how accurate that is!

The vessel they are from's IMO registration number?

3 time's, Port forward, Starboard Forward, and on the Stern

Once, on the Stern

7. How many restaurants are on the Magic class, not including counter
service?
5, Lumiere's/Tritons, Parrot Cay, Animator's Palate, Topsiders/Beach Blanket and Palo, however 7 if you count Lumiere's and Tritons and Topsider's and Beach Blanket separately!

6, Enchanted Garden, Royal Palace, Animators Palate, Cabana's, Palo and Remy or 7 if you count' Royal Palace and Royal Court separately!

Deck Officer's, and Officers?
or
Petty Officer's, and Officers?

4. Either way. Depeds on what the designers have in mind. when they spin in,(Port screw clockwise, Stbd counter) they usually give more speed, when the spin out,(port counterclockwise Stbd clockwise) they usually create more power.

6. Not what I had in mind. This is the one I had a hard time trying to convey. the Answer is very gently, or very slowly. Theres a few reasons.
a. When a ship turns at speed, centrifical force takes over, and a ship will list to the opposite side of the turn.
b. when a ship turns at sea, it typically loses speed. A gentle or slower longer turn over a larger area is more desirable as the ship wont lose too much speed, or lose too much time in transit. Another issue would be the cost of the fuel burned to make up the speed again.

11. Tug kisses or lipstick marks. They are made when a tug, that is using rubber tires as fenders, nudges a ship in to a pier or turn. You can also see them on the sides of ships, where the pier uses tires as bumpers and a ship nudges the docks.

DCL
9. Hotel and Ships officers.

truck1
02-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Non DCL

Air Draft is measured from the vessels present water level(water line) to the highest point of the vessels usually a mast hard. Important only if your not wanting to hit the bridge up ahead.*G*

Draft is measured from the presnt water level(watetrline) to the bottom of the vessel.

screws

they turn inward,,,,,,,the right hand prop turns clockwise and the left hand engine turns counter clockwise. Now that said some can reverse that and turn outward.

Draft marks

Not sure what you mean?...

ballards, cleats and bitts

mooring lines

moored

No idea here

Red bouys are on the right side side of the channel as your entering port or the channel

Ok......the USCG and the Harbor Master can close a harbor or port. They do work together on this. In a port or harbor or area that reqiures a pilot, can be shut down by the pilots if the pilots feel there is unsafe conditions and they refuse to sail or bring in a vessel. They to work together with the USCG and the harbor Masters.

Not just sperry,,,,,,,but its Radar

small boats can show only 3 lights, a red and green side light each showing though 8 points of the compass, from right ahead, extending aft along the proper side and a all around white light higher up.

DCL

83, 000 gross tons

128,00 Gross

the name of the vessel and number of the lifeboat,

By law, the stern and on either side of the vessel, toward the bow, But I am guessing there are others I dont know about

stern

To extend the contract as was, buy the vessel, and biuld a vessel to be operated by Premier

5, the 3 diming rooms, Palo and the buffet

6, the 3 dining rooms, palo, Remy and the buffet

There are the Deck Officers, the Engineering Officers. There is also the hotel staff

MAGIC, WONDER, DREAM AND FANTASY

11. See above.
14. sperry was the first name that comes to mind. I think that DCL uses them.

DCL9. I was thinking Hotel and Ships officers.
DCL 10. Officially they are the Disney Dream, Disney Fantasy,Disney Magic, Disney Wonder.

Ill post the rest of the answeres tonight.

extechie rbd/wdt
02-22-2012, 11:03 PM
Ill post the rest of the answeres tonight.

BUMP! ;)

truck1
02-24-2012, 10:41 PM
Non DCL

The distance between the waterline and the top most portion of a ship, not necessarily the funnels. The reason its important, is to see if a ship will fit under a bridge over hang etc.
The depth a ship sits in the water, from teh waterline down to the deepest part of the ship.
Screws or blades
Inward or outward, depending on the what the designers want the ship to do. The reason that they dont turn the same way, is that a ship will list to one side, not necessarily walk. However counter rotating props, also have the advantage that with 1 prop backing, the other going foward, a ship or boat will generally (in a perfect world) turn in her own length.
Ships draft
Slowly so as not to lose too much speed, or list to far in her turn
Cleats,Bollards, Bitts to name a few
Mooring lines
Moored
Tug Kisses or lipstick marks. Generally made when a tug nudges or pushes a ship into the pier, or when a ship rubs the dock, where the tires are used as cushions.
When entering a channel from sea, the Red Buoy,is on your Right, Returning
Usually, the harbormaster, though Pilots and the Coast Guard can also. No one can come or go if the harbor is closed.
Radar
Red, Green and White. The red and green foward, and the white aft.
DCL
About 83000. However the Wonder is a little heavier with her Outlook addition.
Roughly 128000.Like humans, a ships weight can change from sailing to sailing over her lifetime, due to fuel onboard, changes in cofiguration, ballasting, design changes etc.
Ships Name, and calls sign
3, On her stern, and once on each side, under the bridge.
Once on the stern
To end the contract, build their own ship, or continue with a contract service
At least 5, including the crews.
At least 5
Hotel and Ship
Disney Magic, Disney Wonder, Disney Dream, and Disney Fantasy. Most people will leave the Disney off the name.(Including me on occasion.)

extechie rbd/wdt
02-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Hotel and Ship

I have to dispute that Entertainment has it's own officer's separate to Hotel.... Sorry!
The CD for some ridiculous reason only has 1/2 a strip less than the Captain!
And the Captain of the DCL ship's has 4 and 1/2! :goodvibes

I could say whatever floats their boat, but it work's for them so all good! :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Fun fact's though Truck! :)

Tonka's Skipper
02-25-2012, 06:52 AM
HAAaaaa......ok Truck, now I see what your getting at with the black circle marks on the hulls...........there the points of the hull that are strong and reinforced so the tugs can push there.....but most ships also have letting staying.*push here or Tugs here*

you got me on that one!:thumbsup2

AKK

truck1
02-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Hotel and Ship

I have to dispute that Entertainment has it's own officer's separate to Hotel.... Sorry!
The CD for some ridiculous reason only has 1/2 a strip less than the Captain!
And the Captain of the DCL ship's has 4 and 1/2! :goodvibes

I could say whatever floats their boat, but it work's for them so all good! :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

Fun fact's though Truck! :)

No biggie. Thats part of the fun of this. I never could figure out why DCL capts, dont have 4 stripes which are common most every where else.

truck1
02-25-2012, 04:44 PM
HAAaaaa......ok Truck, now I see what your getting at with the black circle marks on the hulls...........there the points of the hull that are strong and reinforced so the tugs can push there.....but most ships also have letting staying.*push here or Tugs here*

you got me on that one!:thumbsup2

AKK

Yep. Thats what I was thinking. I remember seeing them on ships that have all white hulls like Carnival. I see them more now from the tires that are used as pier protection, then I do from a tug pushing a ship. some tugs dont use tires. They have manilla type rope that they use instead.

Tonka's Skipper
02-26-2012, 11:18 AM
well, here comes some more.....

Easy:

1. What is a *House Flag*?

2. What does *dressing the ship mean?

3. What are the ceilings in a ship called?

4. What is a channel?

5. What bird following a ship means a Bad luck voyage?

Harder:

1. Some ships have what is called a *tunnel*,where is it?

2. On sailing ships, what is the Heel Block? and where is it used?

3. What was a *shot of chain* when refering to anchor chain?

4. How many shots in a averge ocean going anchor chain?

5. What type of anchor is on most ships today?

6. What is ebb tide? and flood tide?

7. What is the *height of tide*?

8. How does the turn a ship differ from the turn of a car?

Cruise/DCL:

1. How does a cruise ship (or any merchant ship for that matter) salute a Warship?

2. How does a Comomdor rank in a cruise line?

3. Where is the Boottop?

4. Who was the first Disney Captain on the Disney Magic?

5. What are the names of the small launches ued on Bay lake and 7 sevens lagoon?

6. What must every Officer, CM and passinger do on the ship, in regard to the Master?

7. Who is the God Mother of the Disney Fantasy? (hopefully it will be annouced before I have th answer this question! *G*)

enjoy! AKK

Tonka's Skipper
02-29-2012, 10:18 AM
gee..... seems I stumped everyone.*G*.....*JKG*

AKK

truck1
03-02-2012, 03:01 PM
well, here comes some more.....

Easy:

4. What is a channel?

Harder:

Cruise/DCL:

1. How does a cruise ship (or any merchant ship for that matter) salute a Warship?

3. Where is the Boottop?

5. What are the names of the small launches ued on Bay lake and 7 sevens lagoon?

6. What must every Officer, CM and passinger do on the ship, in regard to the Master?

7. Who is the God Mother of the Disney Fantasy? (hopefully it will be annouced before I have th answer this question! *G*)

enjoy! AKK

Sorry been busy. Heres a few to keep it moving.

Easy:

Overhead

4. What is a channel?
the dug out portion of a sea bottom,that is marked to allow the safe passage of the average ship.

Harder:

Heavy
Ebb is slack, Flood is incoming.

The stern of a ship most of the time will swing opposite the direction of the turn.

Cruise/DCL:

Usually the most senior Capt.

3. Where is the Boottop?
If its what I am thinking, the line above the bottom paint, but below the hull color.

Capt tom Forberg

Do I have to answer this? Minnie Mouse