PDA

View Full Version : What extra ship activities would you recommend?

bluejasmine
02-07-2012, 07:33 AM
and how much are they? Can you tell me a bit about them?

Thought about doing the champagne tastings, spa, rainforest room and Palo Brunch.

Is there any games that cost extra like bingo or anything? Do they have art shows or whatever?

MagicFan75
02-07-2012, 07:36 AM
There are some things that cost extra like you mention - wine, tequila, martini tastings, rainforest room, and bingo cards. However, there are plenty of free things to do too - there are ship tours that highlight the art, cooking demonstrations, the art auctions, movies, shuffleboard. The amount and variety of these options depend on the length of the cruise.

Trekker
02-07-2012, 08:14 AM
My 24 yo son and I really enjoyed the cooking demos - as well as the martini tasting ($15 - well worth it!).

Wife, DD 21 yo and DS also really enjoyed the wine tasting session - I'm not that much into wine!

kventventx
02-07-2012, 10:07 AM
We were first time cruisers last year and did the Eastern Caribbean. There was so much to see and do that we didn't make to the chef's demonstration until the last day. We will be cruising again and want to do them all the next time. The ship tour was great. We were two adults traveling without kids so the tour was the only way to see the kid areas since you have to have a kid up there to access the area (security and safekeeping is important). Disney knows how to entertain all ages. Both of these activities were free and well worth the time.

quadsthen1
02-07-2012, 10:31 AM
So, I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out...what's the Rainforest room?

bluejasmine
02-07-2012, 10:32 AM
It has a couple of saunas and aromatherapy showers and those hot stone lounges..

quadsthen1
02-07-2012, 10:38 AM
I gotcha! Thanks!

TDC Nala
02-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Champagne tasting on the Dream is $25 pp.

dgundry
02-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Here's a free tip that will make you feel like a spa experience FOR FREE. This applies to the Dream and Fantasy specifically, but I think similar amenities are offered on the Magic and Wonder as well.

1. Senses Spa has men's and women's changing rooms. Each changing room has a small dry sauna that you can use. (And they are HARDLY ever used so you'd have the place all to yourself.) Only down-side is that you wouldn't be able to share that part of the spa with your spouse.

2. Senses Spa also has a Relaxation Room outside of the Rainforest area where guests usually wait for their appointment. They serve teas, lemon water and cucumber water in there and have 8 or 10 comfortable, leather loungers. These are part of the public areas and anyone can use them.

So get yourself up to Deck 11, hit the sauna in the changing room for 10 minutes, then kick back in the Relaxation Room for some recharging, then take a long shower in the changing rooms. A free, luxurious, relaxing way to spend 30 minutes to an hour recharging the batteries.

Having said all that, the Rainforest Room is still WELL WORTH THE MONEY!!!!

dgundry
02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
So, I'm still trying to figure all this stuff out...what's the Rainforest room?

The Rainforest Room is part of the Senses Spa on the Dream. It has an area with ten (10) heated tile chairs looking out onto a partially open verandah that has two 2-person jacuzzis. There are also four (4) showers that each serve up different combinations of warm and cool showers with different jets and shower heads. There are also three steam/sauna rooms, the Hamam (a Turkish bath), a Laconium (a dry sauna), and a Caldarium (a steam bath).

The Rainforest Room opens at about 5:00pm on embarkation day after the Sail Away party ends and keeps the same hours as the spa (8am to 10am).

On the boat, a 1-day pass is $16. On our recent 3-day cruise, the 3-day cruise pass for singles is $42. The 3-day couples cruise pass is $75.

sissy_ib
02-07-2012, 10:56 AM
I LOVED the wine tastings on the Magic. We did all three offered on board. The first two were $15 pp and the last was the sommelier tasting and that was $30 pp. We also did a tequila/margarita tasting ($15 pp) and cognac tasting ($20). I think we will stick with the wine tastings next time. We did bingo which was a lot of fun. I keep winning so we kept playing! I did buy a rain forest room pass for the length of cruise and enjoyed it. I think next time I may just buy a few day passes. For a 7 night cruise a pass was $99 and a couples pass would have been $149. It is $16 for a one day pass.

Conceptualice
02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Thankyou for the rainforest room tips! I was wondering what people were talking about when they were talking about Rainforest room passes.

jasec2
02-08-2012, 06:53 PM
@ Sissy
What was the difference between the regular wine tasting and the sommelier wine tasting?
Thanks!

sissy_ib
02-08-2012, 07:04 PM
@ Sissy
What was the difference between the regular wine tasting and the sommelier wine tasting?
Thanks!

They did not talk quite as much about wine terminology as I think you are expected to have some knowledge. Much higher end wines and proper champagne. The other wine tastings only had sparkling wines. They told us they sell all the bottles we had in the sommelier tasting for $80-100. One of the wine staff sabered the champagne bottles with a steak knife. That was quite impressive in itself! They gave us bottled water rather than in a glass.
At the regular wine tasting we had 5 samples at the sommelier we had 4 total. They showed us a slightly different way of tasting.

jasec2
02-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the info!

mammacaryn
02-08-2012, 08:32 PM
We did the beer tasting. It was fun and we would probably do it again.
$15 per person.

Nothing spectacular to taste, we had actually had all the beers except maybe one in the past. BUT, if you are someone who likes Budweiser and wants to learn a little more about other options out there it could be a wonderful learning experience.(we are kind of beer snobs-husband especially, but still had a nice time)

We are hoping they will add some new beers to the lineup on the Fantasy.

tiggspring
02-09-2012, 11:19 AM
We did the beer tasting. It was fun and we would probably do it again.
$15 per person.

Nothing spectacular to taste, we had actually had all the beers except maybe one in the past. BUT, if you are someone who likes Budweiser and wants to learn a little more about other options out there it could be a wonderful learning experience.(we are kind of beer snobs-husband especially, but still had a nice time)

We are hoping they will add some new beers to the lineup on the Fantasy.

What kind of beers did they serve. We really only like dark beers so budwiser and the like would be a waste for us.

TDC Nala
02-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I haven't done a beer tasting on the Dream, but really the only dark beer they served on the classic ships was Guiinness. Other offerings were lagers, pilsners and ales.

mammacaryn
02-09-2012, 07:15 PM
They do a combination of draught and bottled beers. I think ours had :

Yuengling Lager
Guinness
Peroni
Stella Artois
Amber Bock (possibly?)

This was on the Magic 2010. Like I said, nothing crazy unless you are someone who isn't adventurous to begin with. We just enjoyed having an adult activity to do together, and although we would rather drink craft beers, this was still enjoyable.

http://i40.tinypic.com/25gw4lg.jpg