PDA

View Full Version : changing tables in the evening

dreamcruiser
02-07-2012, 07:28 AM
Can you be put at a different table if your tablemates are not ones you would enjoy sitting with each evening? Our first experience was great, but just in case, I'm wondering...

shelbell77
02-07-2012, 07:38 AM
We have done this. As we were being walked to our table on the first night we realized it was with this really rude obnoxious family we'd observed earlier in the day. We turned around, found the maitre d, explained the problem. We were promptly seated at a different table which was ours the rest of the trip.

But hopefully you'll have good luck. We loved our table mates from 2008 so much, we're all cruising together again on the Fantasy in April!

dreamcruiser
02-07-2012, 07:46 AM
We have done this. As we were being walked to our table on the first night we realized it was with this really rude obnoxious family we'd observed earlier in the day. We turned around, found the maitre d, explained the problem. We were promptly seated at a different table which was ours the rest of the trip.

But hopefully you'll have good luck. We loved our table mates from 2008 so much, we're all cruising together again on the Fantasy in April!

Thanks! I am hoping we have a repeat of the great ones we "drew" on our last cruise. We even sat with them in the shows...just hit it off right away!

MelissaE1
02-07-2012, 08:57 AM
We've been fine with our seating on most of our cruises, but once we were seated with an older couple who clearly were not happy that there were children at their table. My kids are not perfect by any stretch, but they tend to be well behaved when we are out eating. They were quite polite and respectful, but the couple simply shunned us the entire first dinner. We were so uncomfortable we asked to be moved, and were much happier. (They probably were, too!)

I'm sure they have do some of this every cruise and are set up for it. :)

jegsnakkernorsk
02-07-2012, 09:30 AM
I have only cruised once - so far - and after my first dinner, the first night, I turned to my travel companion (DSis) and said "I will never go on a cruise again. And I never want to see those people again."

We had arrived at the second seating maybe 10 minutes early and the line was down the hall. When we got seated at our 8 top we were the last to arrive and I honestly couldn't see my seat between two Pooh-sized gentleman. It was a dark corner in AP and I know I had a look of sheer horror that I gave to our host and he shrugged and said "you should have come earlier." I said "can we sit somewhere else?" and he said "this is your table." My sister was tired and didn't want to make a scene and took the seat across from me. The couple on the end to our right were really difficult to talk to - they were "one-uppers" and I come from Washington, DC - where everyone is very important and knows everything (or so they think). This couple was really obnoxious. The others at the table were another pair of traveling sisters and a Scottish couple. The four of them hit it off and talked and laughed amongst themselves.

Anyway, we told the obnoxious couple we were planning to have dinner in Topsiders the next night (I had made us spa appointments that wouldn't allow us time to dress for dinner). And the couple responded that Topsiders is only a lunch and breakfast buffet - see they have been on MANY DCL cruises and know everything and I have never been on one before (but I did read DISboards - the woman in the couple assured me that DISboards are always wrong).

Two nights later, my sister really wanted to go to our assigned dinner - it was Lumiers and the Princess meal and we had brought nice dresses. I said okay, but we're going early and we are sitting beside each other! The rude couple came and sat across from each other at the opposite end. Then the Scots and sisters arrived after having met up for a predinner drink at Sessions. Well it turned out that these four had the same sense of humor my sister and I have and the six of us had a great time.

On the second night of the cruise, the four-some got to know the couple we had to deal with and they determined that they would "hunt us down and drag us back to dinner". Even the servers couldn't hide their hate for this couple (though they tried) - these were just truly rude people.

Anyway the rest of the seven night cruise we had a ball with the sisters and the Scots. Since the cruise I've met up with one of the sisters when she and her husband came to DC for a day, before their cruise out of Baltimore, and the Scottish couple booked a cruise with us in May on the Fantasy!

Long story short - Disney does seem to make an effort to match tablemates - I think - since we were all the same age range and there even was another pair of sisters. My other point is that there are other options too - contrary to my know-it-all tablemates - Cabanas/Topsiders is not only a buffet breakfast and lunch, but waiter service in the evenings and was actually very nice - very quiet! You have other options, even if your host shrugs and says "that's your table". So I wouldn't worry too much. :goodvibes