PDA

View Full Version : No Castaway Cay - Dealbreaker?

_Crush_
02-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Booked a western caribbean in October out of Galveston (gambling with the weather). These itineraries do not have a stop in Castaway Cay (obviously due to distance.)

With all the great things I hear about Castaway Cay, it appears it is truly the gem of most people's trips. Should it be a dealbreaker, and instead save up for the flight to Florida and sail on another itinerary?

kcashner
02-06-2012, 10:57 PM
It depends. We love Grand Cayman. We are not huge beach people, but Castaway is the nicest beach I've ever done. It is just so EASY.

Do you live within driving distance of Galveston? That might make the difference--not needing flights is huge.

I think you'll have a great cruise out of Galveston, and you'll have plenty to do. I'd compare costs and alternatives and then decide.

_Crush_
02-06-2012, 11:05 PM
We also love Grand Cayman -- Sea Grape Beach is truly paradise.

Yes, we are in a day's drive of Galveston, which makes all the difference in the world for us. We sailed Carnival last year, went to Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Jamaica, so two of the ports are the same but we're thinking that's its really the cruise itself that makes the trip. But having said that, it seems that Castaway Cay is a can't miss destination.

sissy_ib
02-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Booked a western caribbean in October out of Galveston (gambling with the weather). These itineraries do not have a stop in Castaway Cay (obviously due to distance.)

With all the great things I hear about Castaway Cay, it appears it is truly the gem of most people's trips. Should it be a dealbreaker, and instead save up for the flight to Florida and sail on another itinerary?

We just got back from the Magic and while CC was very nice we re-booked for a 8 night out of Galveston in February. We are not really beach people and being able to drive 3 hours to the port rather than fly or drive to FL makes a huge difference. We are going for the over all experience not a few hours of the trip.

Bear3412
02-06-2012, 11:21 PM
For Costa Maya, see link, may off set others?
Just trying to help and add links for OP.

See link in post # 3

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2866095

CruznLexi
02-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Grand Cayman can be missed due to swells as can be Costa Maya.

justmestace
02-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Grand Cayman can be missed due to swells as can be Costa Maya.

As can Castaway Cay. :confused3

justmestace
02-07-2012, 12:15 AM
Castaway Cay IS nice....it's clean....and there are some nice things for the kids (and adults) to climb on, slides, etc....but it's obviously really crowded, because everyone on the ship is all right there.
The food is barely acceptable...burgers, fries....you pay for your drinks there, just like you would at any beach bar, but probably pay more than you would (even for a soda) at a beach in Grand Cayman or Costa Maya.

Diving & snorkeling in GC and Costa Maya...little snorkeling at Castaway Cay and no diving. Stingrays....GC and CC....

To me, Castaway Cay is like the Magic Kingdom on a beach...without the rides. Or I suppose about the same as Blizzard Beach or one of those.

I really like Costa Maya. Even if you don't leave the port area, there's a large swimming pool with a swim-up bar, lots of shops, places to eat or get a drink....and perfectly safe.
I've not heard of ships not being able to dock in Costa Maya, but I guess it could happen.

aan1701
02-07-2012, 02:53 AM
Honestly I could care less if the cruise goes to CC. I live a mile from the beach, so the beach on vacation has zero appeal. The only things I really enjoy is lunch at Serenity Bay, a quick trip down Pelican Plundge, and two for one hour at the Knoked out bar. All can be in a two hour span. On one of the cruises we have taken I did not even get off the ship at CC.

Bear3412
02-07-2012, 03:03 AM
Should it be a dealbreaker,

Definitely , NOT !!!

edit; As mentioned no guarantee you will dock at CC. From my lame calculations, I came up with a 19% chance of not making it to Castaway Cay. Doesn't seem worth the added expense of flying and the still potential miss. JMT

bwallace
02-07-2012, 06:33 AM
CC is really neat to see, but I'd rather be able to drive to Galveston and not go to CC, than fly to florida just to go to CC.

All other things being equal, it should tip the scales, but i don't think it should outweigh travel time.

dbenlee
02-07-2012, 07:30 AM
I agree with others, CC is NOT a deal breaker in these circumstances. CC is fun, but it is just one day of a cruise, and there is so much more to a Disney cruise that just isn't to be missed. In my opinion, the stops are just part of a cruise vacation, there is a lot to be seen and experienced on the ship as well.

kellyb2000
02-07-2012, 07:35 AM
we're thinking that's its really the cruise itself that makes the trip.
:thumbsup2

We LOVE CC, but that would NOT be a deal breaker for us.

TDC Nala
02-07-2012, 07:41 AM
The food is barely acceptable...burgers, fries

I actually get off the ship just to get the grilled fish sandwich at Serenity Bay so I'm not ready to say that all the food on CC is barely acceptable. I'm not all that interested in the beach, but it's a good place to go on a nice day.

If no CC is a dealbreaker, as noted it should be remembered that sometimes the ships are unable to dock at CC - I've been on two cruises where that is the case, guests need to remember they don't just decide arbitrarily that they're not going to dock there, as on both cruises there were a number of adult meltdowns at Guest Services. Someone who saved up for flights to Florida just to visit CC might be in that group having a meltdown if their cruise happens to be one that misses it.

NancyIL
02-07-2012, 07:41 AM
I am not a beach person. At CC - I spend my time walking along the beach or enjoying a hammock - until lunch is served. :teeth: After lunch, I go back to the ship and watch the afternoon movie.

PrincessMer
02-07-2012, 07:46 AM
I LOVE CC. I get so excited whenever we go there. That being said, if I had the choice between driving to the port for a cruise and flying to the port for a cruise, I would drive. I'd rather drive the car and get on a cruise than have to plan flights, worry about luggage and transportation. I'd vote for staying with your current plan and sailing out of Texas. If in the future Disney no longer sails from Texas, you can then plan on going to FL and CC.

Meredith

starchild_217
02-07-2012, 09:10 AM
CC was one of the best things about our first trip, but we're Texans and want to go on another cruise ASAP. So, we're biting the bullet and going on one of the Galveston dates. A three hour drive for just the cost of gas, beats having to pay almost another grand for airfare.

scatmanjack
02-08-2012, 10:52 AM
I wish Disney would have the following cruise out of Galveston:
Stop at Key West
Stop at Castaway Cay
Stop at Bahamas

This would be a 7 day cruise.

Carnival does a similar route out of Galveston...

Is Castaway Cay 'overbooked' to allow for another ship to have a day?

Paul

sissy_ib
02-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Stop at Key West
Stop at Castaway Cay
Stop at Bahamas

Paul

JMHO, but that is a horrible itinerary. I would rather do a 7 night to nowhere and just have sea days.

vleeth
02-08-2012, 12:33 PM
We are going to book a Texas cruise. I had been looking forward to CC, but it in no way seems to be worth the extra expense. Now I'll just have to start getting excited about exploring Costa Maya.

fatfish
02-08-2012, 01:58 PM
I LOVE Castaway Cay! To me, it is the most idyllic place on earth. When I go to my "happy place" in my mind, it is CC, on a beautiful sunny day. :cloud9:

Now having said that, I still booked a Western Carribean out of Galveston with no stop at CC, as it takes me almost as long to drive to the airport to fly to FL as it does to drive to Galveston. A DCL cruise from home trumps a DCL cruise that includes CC. ;)

However, if DCL keeps increasing the cost of the Galveston cruises to the point where its less expensive to fly to FL and cruise out of PC, :scared1: we'll go back to cruising out of PC. pirate:

Kirbo
02-08-2012, 02:18 PM
We've never been to CC, so take my post for what it's worth. We went on our first (and so far only) cruise last year on the Wonder to the Mexican Riviera. It was spectacular! Honestly, it was the best family vacation we've ever had. My husband wasn't really sold on a Disney cruise when we got on the boat, but by day two he was telling me we needed to go to the future cruises desk to rebook.

I've never been to CC but I really don't feel as if our cruise was lacking because of it. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I'd been there before, but I have nothing to compare it to :confused3. In less than three weeks we'll be going on our second cruise. Again, no CC.

Next year we're taking our third cruise. It's scheduled to stop at CC, but that's not why we booked it. We booked it because we've found that DCL is so wonderful for our family. I look forward to visiting CC finally, but if we miss it, so be it.

Go for the cruise that is most economical and convenient. And have a wonderful time! pixiedust:

TXDCLfan
02-08-2012, 05:09 PM
Stop at Key West
Stop at Castaway Cay
Stop at Bahamas

Paul

Sorry but this has to be the worst possible itinerary imaginable :lmao::lmao: IMHO:rotfl2:

scatmanjack
02-08-2012, 05:21 PM
What about if the Bahamas stop was dropped?

Most of the cruises out of Galveston are boring Mexico stops...
Been there done that...

Seven-day cruise with stops in Key West and castaway Cay would be fine with me. The extra Sea days would be nice.

TXDCLfan
02-08-2012, 05:31 PM

Been there done that...

Seven-day cruise with stops in Key West and castaway Cay would be fine with me. The extra Sea days would be nice.

IMHO the Bahamas are the pits no good beaches, do not care for the locals just a trashy place. Key West been there done it 3 times sorry but I do not drink during the days so bars are out,not into sex shops, limited beaches to go to...so not really an ideal stop for my family.

sissy_ib
02-08-2012, 05:37 PM

Been there done that...

That makes it worse.

IMHO the Bahamas are the pits no good beaches, do not care for the locals just a trashy place. Key West been there done it 3 times sorry but I do not drink during the days so bars are out,not into sex shops, limited beaches to go to...so not really an ideal stop for my family.

Is Key West that bad? I had no idea. We are going there on the Magic next year so I guess if we do anything it will be a tour through Disney.

Kirbo
02-08-2012, 05:40 PM
:rotfl:

That really made me laugh.

I had no idea Key West was like that :eek:

Still laughing.

super mike b
02-08-2012, 05:46 PM
I had no idea Key West was like that :eek:

We really enjoy Key West. I guess we missed the sex shops, but we weren't really looking for any. Lot's of fun bars there, even if you are not drinking. :woohoo:

collectoraholic
02-08-2012, 06:00 PM
I agree with others, CC is NOT a deal breaker in these circumstances. CC is fun, but it is just one day of a cruise, and there is so much more to a Disney cruise that just isn't to be missed. In my opinion, the stops are just part of a cruise vacation, there is a lot to be seen and experienced on the ship as well.

Agreed. :thumbsup2 While we've never missed CC due to not being able to dock, we have done a couple of DCL cruises that didn't stop @ CC b/c of the port the ship originated from (Barcelona & LA). Those cruises were just as wonderful as the many we've taken that have gone to CC. I would not dismiss a cruise out of Galveston on DCL just b/c they will not stop @ CC. I live close to Galveston and while I love CC, I've got 3 cruises on DCL booked for while it's here in my backyard. ;) :goodvibes :cutie:

HTHs!:thumbsup2

JenniferC
02-09-2012, 07:59 PM
I have been on 9 Disney cruises and stopped at CC with each one.We loved CC. One of our favorite places. The last stop in Jan.was sad. CC was been overdeveloped! Its lost its charm. It's not longer an oasis.:( So we booked our next cruise out of Tx.