PDA

View Full Version : Kids and passports

StephanieCG
02-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Read over the US passports website and I'm still not sure of the answer to my question. Anyway - I have a 4 year old and 22 month old (at time of cruise)...initially I thought I'd be ok with just birth certificates, but then I saw something on the passport site I believe saying that some ports will not let kids get off the boat if they do not have one. We are going for 4 nights on the Dream to the Bahamas, stopping in CC and Nassau. Do they need passports or not?
Also, are passport numbers needed for online check in? Our online check-in registration thing starts next week, and my dad just renewed his passport and it hasn't come in the mail yet.
Thanks in advance!

KarlaG4Kids
02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
The easy answer, no you don't HAVE to have passports for kids on the itinerary you are going on. You can check in online by saying you will have proper identification. NOW, information you may need. If for ANY REASON you would need to get off the ship outside of the USA (sickness, injury, just goof and miss the ship) you could have difficulty getting back into the USA without passports. So, if your child would fall, break a leg an hour before the ship sails and you need to get medical attention you could have issues. Our family is going on the same itinerary in May. There are 9 kids in our group. Honestly, it was EXPENSIVE to get passports for 9 kids and the passports only last 5 years for kids. But, is it worth it if something happens just one time??? We decided the piece of mind was worth it and all of the parents decided it was one less stress and they would get all of the kids passports. It is up to you!

Passport numbers are needed for adults on the online check in. I don't know if you could skip it and fill it in prior to your cruise....possibly.

Good luck and have a wonderful vacation!

extechie rbd/wdt
02-06-2012, 08:58 PM
From a link in the FAQ sticky:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents."

Bahamian Islands are covered providing you have the above, and remember as per another thread today, ALL member's of your party leaving the ship need to take their KTTW card to get off and get back on!
The Aircon will still stay on without the card in the slot!

Have a great cruise!

Ex Techie :)

extechie rbd/wdt
02-06-2012, 09:04 PM
KarlaG4Kids,

Sorry but Adult passport's are not needed for a closed loop cruise to the Bahamas'.
Prudent to have passport's for all yes! :thumbsup2
Required, they are not.

StephanieCG
02-06-2012, 09:45 PM
From a link in the FAQ sticky:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents."

Bahamian Islands are covered providing you have the above, and remember as per another thread today, ALL member's of your party leaving the ship need to take their KTTW card to get off and get back on!
The Aircon will still stay on without the card in the slot!

Have a great cruise!

The part that I put in bold was the part of the FAQ that I was over analyzing - yes the Bahamas is a foreign county so I didn't know the kids would be allowed to enter - it seems we just need the KTTW card. However, do kids even get those? I will probably get them passports just in case of worst case scenario injury or at least just the passport card thing.
Thanks so much! :goodvibes

kcashner
02-06-2012, 10:06 PM
A passport is not currently required on any Bahamas or Caribbean cruise on DCL. The US government could change the rules with 90 days notice.

Each person has a KTTW card. Adults need a KTTW and a government issued photo ID to get off or on the ship, minors need just a KTTW card.

lbgraves
02-06-2012, 10:16 PM
IMO the passport card is a waste of money since it is not for air travel. If you were to become ill in another country there is emergency repatriation in place to provide you temporary passports to get you back into the country.

You also asked if you need PP numbers to do the online check in. No you don't. Just skip those fields and get your arrival time. You can fill in the numbers & flight info later when you get it or if you do.